Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do the rights include re-runs if so they won't sell them for years as its a low cost way to re-build the revenue used to film a series.

and web based shows don't get the ratings as a television based show, if they were that petty why aggree to the movies????

what do the rights cover character names or just the show title...etc????

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nano View Post
      They should kill of atlantis at the end of s04 move it back to Earth, find another network and continue s11 of sg1
      i 2nd that

Comment

We will never know the answer to that question. Thing is, money can buy anything...we just need someone with loads of cash and "convincing" power . Something along the lines..."You don't gimme the rights to continue the show...I know some people "

Comment

none of you actually responded to the question someone asked earlier. Did any major network actually seemed interested in buying SG1 for season 11?

Comment

Originally posted by nano View Post
            They should kill of atlantis at the end of s04 move it back to Earth, find another network and continue s11 of sg1
            As much as I love Sg-1 that would be a big NO! I love SGA and want it to survive. That would efectively kill it.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by lamona View Post
              none of you actually responded to the question someone asked earlier. Did any major network actually seemed interested in buying SG1 for season 11?
              I don't think any names were mentioned. One of TPTB just said that other networks were interested, then when Sci Fi mentioned that part of the contract one of them remarked how Sci Fi had **** on any chances SG-1 had of carrying on in TV series form.

Comment

Folks, it's all about money.

SciFi wants to maintain their maket share and make more money at it.

Every show makes money from original broadcast content, syndication of that content, and DVD sales.

The main problem is that Sci-Fi didn't own Stargate. They only made money showing the new content.

Shows that they own like BSG and Eureka, they can make more money on in the long term.

So, with SG1, they had to pay for the development of new shows, pay for the showing of reruns from previous seasons, and got nothing from DVD sales. With BSG, they got to show reruns for free and got money from DVD sales.

SciFi is trying to maintain their "monopoly" of Scifi type shows by keeping SG1 off the air elsewhere, and replace it with similar content that they can make more money from in the long run.

Honestly, I think the success of Eureka last year put the final nail in the coffin of SG1. Sure, the costs for a 10 year old show are higher, but they weren't going to make the move until they had their own programming in place.

However, in any case, this move was inevitable. It was just a matter of time.
                The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  Than they choosed SG-1 randomly to cancel, because the two series had similar rating.
                  they make way more money off BSG than SG-1.

Originally posted by O'Neill is funny View Post
                  Without the viewers they are doomed, it is about us.
                  actually, it's about our money and our televisions.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Still it's all symantics. it wasnt handled well as all they had to do was simply negotiate better, and keep this great show on the air.
                  that simple, huh?
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I would have to say that Scifi DO NOT own the IP licence of Stargate b/c its MGM decision and they can do whatever the hell they want. MGM have the right to take Stargate off Scifi and take the licence away from Scifi, can they? Scifi only hosting Stargate on their network with using MGM IP licence of Stargate.

Can MGM sue Scifi in Court of Law to pull their licence off from Scifi and move it to another network? MGM has more $$$$ then Scifi, right with Sony?

how much is Scifi worth? What company owns Scifi?

its doesn't matter if Scifi has the money.

ITS US THE AUDIENCE WHO HAVE THE POWER TO STOP WATCHING SCIFI AND MAKE SCIFI LOSE MILLIONS-BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!

Comment

so why won't scifi let us have a season 11
                      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by lamona View Post

SKY would be very interested otherwise they would not have purchased the last episodes ....

Comment

I think that Sci Fi had the rights to SG-1 but any new show that is developed would be fare game for any network although Sci Fi has the best chance to get it I hope that MGM who own the property will negotiate a much better deal so that they don't get screwed by Sci Fi. I would hope that MGM looks out for the best interest of the property long-term when the next series hits. I hope it is based on Earth so that we can see some of the cast from the other SG shows both Atlantis and SG-1 or they could go in the future or set it in a different location. I also hope they create a new mythology with the context of the show. I would love to see other beings as advanced as the ancients or even more so but whom are totally alien and not human at all. They would kind of be like the Ancients were viewed at the beginning of SG-1 but their ways and culture would be very different.

Comment

I dunno, i think it's time. The show's gotten unbelievably hokey since the beginning of season 9 with the new cast additions. Vala is way too silly, though I don't really have a problem with Cam. But honestly, I was seeing a downward spiral in season 8 (jack was getting so sarcastic he was beginning to become self-parody) and it just got kinda worse as time went by. Great season finale though.

I'm glad Atlantis was picked up for a 4th. The show is excellent, with a great cast, and I've enjoyed it far more than seasons 9 and 10 of SG1. I hope it continues on.

Comment

OK, so we've all decided it was about the money.

We're come to the conclusion it was about the ratings as well.

The one thing no one points out, is that with both SGA, BSG, and SG1, all the ratings are going into the can because scifi doesn't keep a consistant schdule for the airing of the tv shows. For example:

SG1, SGA, on for 2 months. Then off for 6 months. Changed time/date multiple times. They NEVER did what normal networks do, and run the episodes until the season was actually over. They always played 4-6 (or 8) espisodes, and then stopped playing it for 6 months. Or in this case, haven't they rescheduled the return of SG1 and Atlantis a couple of times this season?

Scifi has a rep for killing shows, and after the cancellation of SG1, I've stopped watching them all together.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                They won't let anyone else have the rights to it because they're a bunch of idiots. Plain and simple.
                                I imagine that it's a business decision; even if they do not wish to make the show themselves, I doubt that they want it to become competition for their own shows, at least not without a substantial financial incentive to offset any loss it causes them.

The trouble is that taking on the show would be a big risk in itself for any network, given its costs and comparitively poor ratings performance. Having to buy Sci-Fi out on top of that would probably make the show a very untempting prospect for other networks.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X