Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. Not happy that Vala is to be permanent.
    Are the writers running out of storylines for our team that used to be?
    Do we really need a comic fallguy/girl complete with T & A to pep up the series?
    Does this mean no more angst and drama eps? I certainly hope not.
    And, yes, whoever said Daniel is not the same DJ, I have to agree. Yes, every character is allowed to change, hell, real people do, but DJ just was never the type to say, 'I'm gonna kick your a$$!!' like he did in Beachhead...it was like watching another show with new characters.
    The five shows Claudia did, was more than enough for me, and I couldn't care less about her character's back story, and altho' I was always pleased to have BB, I never wanted Starscape.... I'm kinda sad about all this - I'm now thinking of word like 'Shark' and 'Jumping' etc, and I don't want this for Stargate. This has been a great show, and altho' the changes are necessary and good, I'm wishing they could let things settle for a wee while longer before they introduce more characters.
    Just me.
    Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge!

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
      Absolutely it can work with the cast intact - that's why I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that it won't.

JM has said in the past that
      Spoiler:
      the chances are very high of the development of a strong, close, "opposites attract" friendship developing between Sam and Vala
      , and that couldn't possibly happen if one of them weren't actually around on a full-time basis. He's also said that
      Spoiler:
      Sam's story is going to be fully vested in SG1, and Daniel will be going to Atlantis at some point too
      , which says to me that she's not going anywhere for more than maybe an episode or two, and she won't be going alone.

On top of all of that, he's said on more than one occassion that people are overreacting to the whole situation, which is something that I've been thinking from the very beginning - long before he said it. AT said something at a convention that was (according to both her and JM) has blown way out of proportion, and a whole bunch of people took it and ran with it... now, those people were all willing (obviously) to take her words to heart then and interpret them however they chose to do so - mostly negatively, it seems - but very few seem willing to take her at her word now, when she's saying that she *didn't* mean it the way so many people are thinking she did.

Myself, I'd rather base my feelings and speculations about the upcoming season on what she's has actually said about it, rather than on second and third hand interpretations of something she *might* have meant.

Oh, I completely agree. I'd *love* to see these two as friends - it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

The only divisiveness I've seen though, honestly... seems to be coming from the fans, and not from TPTB themselves. AT and CB are both stunningly beautiful women, no arguement there. And the only people claiming that Sam is being pushed out to make room for Vala are the fans - JM and AT themselves are saying the exact *opposite*, but no one seems willing to listen to them.

Again, I agree fully. I see the potential for some amazing stories to come along with Vala's presence, for all four members of the team (which does include Sam) and for Vala herself... and I've seen TPTB write some amazing stories so far this season. Prototype, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat and my heart pounding like no episode has in *years*.

So, can they keep it up, now that they've got it back? All I can do is wait, and hope, and have a little faith in them to keep doing what it is that they've been doing so well lately.

I think you make some great points, brihana25. And i hope you are right.

It is not that I don't take AT''s or JM's word for it -- I just can't tell what their messages really mean. AT came on after a huge uproar on the internet. It seemed more like damage control to me, and she really didn't say much except she will be back. She seemed to not know exactly what was happening when she wrote that message, so it is difficult to tell from it how things will play out in season 10. JM"s blog message also seemed like damage control -- to placate the Sam fans after the strong reaction. I don't know what he really knew at that time either.

So alot of fans are leary of the situation. Vala did dominate, IMO, when she was on, and she pushed the other characters into the background. This is even true for me of Daniel. I do think the writers know this is a problem, but how much time will Vala take away from all the other characters? They say over and over how much they like to write for her. They are not saying that about any other character. So, it makes you wonder what season 10 is really going to look like.

I think the writers are walking a fine line here. I don't think they can afford to lose any fanbase right now. Sam and Daniel have very strong fanbases, and so do BB and CB. The ratings are good, but not in a safe margin to lose fans. They need to write the show so that old SG-1 fans remain, and new fans like it too.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

It is not that I don't take AT''s or JM's word for it -- I just can't tell what their messages really mean. AT came on after a huge uproar on the internet. It seemed more like damage control to me, and she really didn't say much except she will be back. She seemed to not know exactly what was happening when she wrote that message, so it is difficult to tell from it how things will play out in season 10. JM"s blog message also seemed like damage control -- to placate the Sam fans after the strong reaction. I don't know what he really knew at that time either.

So alot of fans are leary of the situation. Vala did dominate, IMO, when she was on, and she pushed the other characters into the background. This is even true for me of Daniel. I do think the writers know this is a problem, but how much time will Vala take away from all the other characters? They say over and over how much they like to write for her. They are not saying that about any other character. So, it makes you wonder what season 10 is really going to look like.

I think the writers are walking a fine line here. I don't think they can afford to lose any fanbase right now. Sam and Daniel have very strong fanbases, and so do BB and CB. The ratings are good, but not in a safe margin to lose fans. They need to write the show so that old SG-1 fans remain, and new fans like it too.
        I just hope that Vala won't be in the background in season 10.

Comment

As someone has said, this is not a 'protected' thread, opinions from both sides are welcome. But this also means that people from all sides of the issue need to

Respect their fellow posters

Telling people to shut up is not respect. Calling someone stupid or an idiot is not respect.

Disagreeing isn't the end of the world, it's what makes the world go around.

If you ( and i mean the general You here) find yourself unable to post without telling people to shut up or disrespecting them, then maybe you need to go find another thread to play in.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tflux
            I haven't even finished reading the thread and I have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. The last season of Farscape was one of its high points... tied with season 3. I especially like when shows have a big underlying plot, especially a bit multi-race coldwar.

I suppose you thought Peacekeeper Wars was pathetic too? I mean, it really felt like an extended, higher budget season 4 episode...
            </rant>
            Wow, so now I am ignorant for having an opinion. IMHO, (yes its an opinion) season 4 of farscape was no where near as entertaining and engaging as the other 3 seasons. Seems I am not in the minority as the ratings dropped and the show was cancelled. As for Peacekeeper wars, it was also not as good as seasons 1-3 in MHO. Pretty much it seemed rushed, thrown together, and had aspects that didnt make sense with the show based on the shows history(Jewl ... what was up with that).

But whatever, if you liked it. I am happy for you. Just because I thought it was typical B level Scifi doesnt make you ignorant for liking it.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

**chocdoc**, well said. I was drafting a reply to our knowledgeable brihana25 but you expressed much of what I wanted to say.

I will add that the writers and studio people knew well the introduction of a character like Vala would be controversial; it's what they do to stir interest. If the actress was someone other than CB with her so recent ties to BB, maybe there would have been less conflict with Farscape devotees and Stargate SG1 devotees. Neither actress should be caught in this snafu of studio hype and fan unease. And oh, yeah, the writers have a heck of a job ahead of them to show they are not favoring the Vala character at the expense of the Team, and come up with storylines that will hold everyone to the Friday lineup. Is the will there to do it? Time will tell.

Just sayin', I hope we can all just get along on this. Ultimately, I just want the same great Stargate SG1 show to go on.
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times (at least until S8 wherein he lost me) while still being an honourable man and soldier he was also out to save the world and his team - he was an honest man with an honest and decent past who's humour was not a sci-fi cliche the way vala's humour is and the way vala herself is.

CB may be pretty (not as pretty as others on the show, IMO) but pretty does not make Stargate Stargate - at least it didn't used to be that way but now - the shiny new show appears to value that, sci-fi caricatures, cliches and wanna-be comedy, more than well written drama and respect.

It amazes me that people seriously try to compare Vala to the other characters of the show in morality. I mean, even if you happen to like the character why not admit that she is no where near on the same level of honesty and accountability as any of the other characters in the history of Stargate.

Here are things that Vala did willingly, of her own choice, while not host to a goa'uld and think what the consequences would be of such actions if a real person did these.

1) She attacked a Earth military spaceship and assaulted the crew
                2) She left the crew to die on a derelict space ship. (Die or be captured and tortured by the goa'uld since it was in goa'uld space and they would likely investigate what happen to their ships and its not like earth had more ship to send out for a rescue. Of course the crew wasn’t captured and didn’t die because Gen Hammond risked his life to get the extra crystals, something vala didn’t anticipate, if she did she would have likely destroyed the other ship as it is ultimately what lead to her capture)
                3) She willfully took the earth property she stole and attempted to sell it for her own personal profit to a criminal organization that likely would have used it to commit further crimes.
                4) She assaulted more military personal and escaped, stealing an Alkesh which was now in legal possession of Earth.
                5) She came to earth and took a member of earth hostage so that she could get some treasure. Basically blackmailing him with his death if he didn’t comply.
                6) Once she found she would not get what she wanted she agreed to take the hostage devices off, but of course it didn’t quite work. So we get to see that basically she stole from multiple people and has absolutely no remorse for doing so. It appears in her world, anything is ok if it is in her own interest and no one is "hurt". Hurt being relative since having something stolen from you is injurious, but apparently Vala doesn’t see it that way.
                7) She apparently and with willful intent enslaved an Entire planet of people.
                8) She conned some stupid USAF people into going to that planet so she could finish off stealing the money from the people she had enslaved before the Ori got a hold of it. Note she didn’t go to the planet to save the people, that only happened afterward when people started dropping dead.

So I will give her this, she doesn’t like to see people drop dead. She tried to help the people when they got sick (of course she really had no option for leaving. But I will assume for the time being that she would have stayed anyway, although there really is no history to base that on).

When it came to the destruction of the Jaffa planet by the Ori. Vala didn’t really care, she thought the SGC was stupid for trying to stop it and wanted to run-away (which I assume is her modus operandi, as it is with all thieves that are not in jail). Of course, once again when it became obvious she couldn’t run away and she realized she was scrwd when the Ori got here, then she took action to stop it. So I will also give that she has a very impressive sense of Self Preservation. However, SG-1 has never been about Self Preservation. Its been about about Self Sacrifice and saving the world so others can live peacefully. NID was about stealing crp from people. SGC was about honor. We wanted our allies to know we were worthy of trust and did our best to uphold our sides of bargins even when some failed to uphold theirs (tokra).

In any reality that is real Vala should be in jail. Slavery is an abomination. Anyone, ANYONE who willfully participates it should be in jail for a very, very, very long time. And I don’t really care if they had a bad childhood, if their mommy didn’t get them a pony for Christmas or if they had a gou'ald in them for 1000 years. Once the goa'uld was gone, to continue to enslave people and then steal the only wealth they have is an abominably horrendous act. And the fact that TPTB just think it’s a funny little character quirk is disgusting.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by valaCB
                  I just hope that Vala won't be in the background in season 10.
                  That is part of the challenge, valaCB, to bring a character like Vala - impulsive, secretive, defensive - into a team environment. She shouldn't always be so very at odds with everyone all the time. I believe CB said in an interview that Vala would have to morph into someone a bit more approachable and trustworthy to work in the SG1 setting on a long term basis.

Having said that, it is natural for new actors of her caliber (coming from a lead in another series) to be featured almost exclusively for an ep or so before they mesh them into the series. Can we presume Vala has had an adequate "seasoning" after 5 episodes in? Can the writers now begin to build back the band?

Just sayin', every actor in a team/ensemble show like SG1 and SGA will be featured and sidelined at some points. Vala has certainly been featured, so she may not get as much screen time as she had in her debut. Again, the writers have to be up on it (with studio input, natch) with storylines that work all elements in.
                  sigpic

Comment

Right I'm gonna end this once and for all.

Can anyone here do anything about the Vala character? - IE are any of you scriptwriters etc?

If you cannot do anything then stop complaining. The scriptwriters and producers are running the show NOT US.

If you don't like it, watch another show.

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz

Can anyone here do anything about the Vala character? - IE are any of you scriptwriters etc?

If you cannot do anything then stop complaining. The scriptwriters and producers are running the show NOT US.

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz
                      If we cant comment on the show, then there is really no point of the forum is there?

Comment

Originally posted by acce
                        Most of the episodes with Vala were not serious at all...
                        Do they want to turn stargate sg1 in a comedy?
                        I think that the episodes that have had Vala have been of a serious nature, it is Vala who lightens the seriousness with her own little brand of humor.

I'm looking forward to Vala being a regular character on SG-1. I enjoyed some of the humor she brought to the show....it was simply the characters way. I think that they can really take this character in many directions....why is she the way she is? I think there is a serious side to her, but she uses humor almost as a defence mechanism.

However, the one thing I do hope that they reduce is the complete lack of trust in anything she says and does. Reduce the need for every statement out of her mouth from being an entire lie, or a half-truth. The potential is there for a great character to emerge.

.....and of course, most importantly to me, make her an addition to the cast, not a replacement. Do not let another character, such as Sam be pushed aside to make room for the new.

Comment

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz
                          No, this is a discussion, Turboz; it's what we DO here. I can understand that no one's gonna WIN any argument here. We're just DISCUSSING our points of view.

Just sayin' what is your point of view on Season 10 & Vala, the thread we're on?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
                            I think that the episodes that have had Vala have been of a serious nature, it is Vala who lightens the seriousness with her own little brand of humor.

I'm looking forward to Vala being a regular character on SG-1. I enjoyed some of the humor she brought to the show....it was simply the characters way. I think that they can really take this character in many directions....why is she the way she is? I think there is a serious side to her, but she uses humor almost as a defence mechanism.

However, the one thing I do hope that they reduce is the complete lack of trust in anything she says and does. Reduce the need for every statement out of her mouth from being an entire lie, or a half-truth. The potential is there for a great character to emerge.

.....and of course, most importantly to me, make her an addition to the cast, not a replacement. Do not let another character, such as Sam be pushed aside to make room for the new.
                            Just sayin, Well said *CalmStorm*.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz
                              Yes ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it - read the first entry by the person who started this thread - perhaps you are in the wrong place based on your opinions (realizing if course that this is an open thread where all are welcome to their opinions but it is not appropriate to come here, or anywhere else at GW, and presume to be the only one with the correct or valid opinion or presume to tell anyone else, regardless of their opinions, what to do).

If you are incapabale of having a discussion based on differing opinions perhaps you are on the wrong thread - try the pro-vala thread or the pro-S10 thread or any other thread where opinions will be the same as yours so you do not have to constantly offend others with your arrogant remarks. If you do not like what this thread has to say because some of the posts differ from your hallowed opinions please take your opinions elsewhere and stop insulting others and stop telling other people what to do -YOU get over it - it's not going to change - GW has always been a place where people can voice their opinions regardless of what that opinion is - it is after all about democracy and freedom of speech, etc., the very things the US military has fought so hard for decades to preserve for Americans as well as others around the globe.

Comment

Doubtful

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz
                                Forum = discussion of views.....regardless if you have the ability to effect actual change.

Comment

Working...
                                X