Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think after whats see been through her she problly will be a more rounded charecter.
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Exactly BigGator5.

We only know and care so much about Janet Fraiser and George Hammond bc we had 7 seasons to get to know them. I don't even think Fraiser had a name when we first saw her.

Comment

Originally posted by acce
        I only hope that in the other half of season 9 and season 10, they will work on Mitchell also. We don't know who he is really?
        What I felt about him in first half of season 9, is that they wanted to make a Jack Junior with Mitchell...

I just hope Stargate will be serious, not a big joke like a few episodes on the first half of season 9....
        1) All they do it give Cameran Fack's lines

2) the whole show is a joke now. I remember the good old days, season 7 and before, when stargate was a good scifi show.
        I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

In my humble opinion, they should have at least changed the name of the show or something. It just doesn't have the whole feel of the past seasons, and there are so many uncalled for references that it has become almost offensive to me. I respect the opinion of the other fans, but I think they're trying to make SG-1 into just another cheesy Sci-fi channel show that features canty clothing and lack of good writing and character development. I would really like to see the old relationships between the old characters continue to grow, that's why people kept coming back season after season.

Thanks to -Jules- for the sig pic!

"It hops, it hops! It hops jolly high!" The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz
            Now what exactly is wrong with a good show like Stargate having an attractive woman to watch?

You need to chill out mate. Stop taking this all so seriously. Stargate is after all Entertainment with a fit woman or without.

Jeez some people really have attitude.

As some others have mentioned, Jack had humour - no-one complained about that but instead they all said they miss jack when he left.

Now we have another comedian (who incidentally is female and good looking) and everyone is up in arms about the whole thing. Why?

After we defeat the Ori what else can the producers throw at us? - Another race on a higher plane of existence? - More Gou'ald?, Perhaps even the universe being a living being that wants us all dead?

Come on, Vala will bring some more variety to the show. She's got charisma, she's cheerful, funny, good looking and probably what the show needed for a long time.

I also remember the new General that replaced Jack having a sense of humour - anyone complaining?

In my original post I did say that I hope I did not cause offence - You still jumped down my throat so I'll say this and make myself feel better:
            Vala is great!

-Turboz
            Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times (at least until S8 wherein he lost me) while still being an honourable man and soldier he was also out to save the world and his team - he was an honest man with an honest and decent past who's humour was not a sci-fi cliche the way vala's humour is and the way vala herself is.

CB may be pretty (not as pretty as others on the show, IMO) but pretty does not make Stargate Stargate - at least it didn't used to be that way but now - the shiny new show appears to value that, sci-fi caricatures, cliches and wanna-be comedy, more than well written drama and respect.

Comment

Maybe there is some bigger underlying reason that Vala makes wisecracks.
              Aren't you curious about her? We have history for Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c,
              even a little bit of history for Cam Mitchell, but we really have no backstory on Vala. I am curious to learn more about her. How did she become a thief and a cheat, and a smartass. I want to know how she came to be on the path that led her to Daniel Jackson.
              Also, there have always been lighthearted moments in Stargate SG-1, that is why we love this story!! It would be awfully boring if there were no moments that make you smile or even laugh out loud.
              I suppose that I will get another black mark for saying this, but it is
              one persons opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by zahncrelnik
                Maybe there is some bigger underlying reason that Vala makes wisecracks.
                Aren't you curious about her? We have history for Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c,
                even a little bit of history for Cam Mitchell, but we really have no backstory on Vala. I am curious to learn more about her. How did she become a thief and a cheat, and a smartass. I want to know how she came to be on the path that led her to Daniel Jackson.
                Also, there have always been lighthearted moments in Stargate SG-1, that is why we love this story!! It would be awfully boring if there were no moments that make you smile or even laugh out loud.
                I suppose that I will get another black mark for saying this, but it is
                one persons opinion.
                It's an opinion I agree with.

When she talks about her pre-Qetesh life, she seems very nostalgic - so what was she like? She obviously wasn't very old when she was taken, she was engaged, she had her life planned... and then along comes a snake that takes it all away from her.

When she talks about the reactions of her own people to her having been de-Goa'ulded, she seems more sad than bitter or angry - she obviously tried to go back to her life after the Tok'ra freed her, but her own people (and we can assume even her own family) wouldn't allow her to.

So... did she become a liar and a thief because she's trying to take back what Qetesh stole from her? Does she use sex as a weapon now because she was unable to decide what her body did for so long that it doesn't even matter to her any more? Does she still detach from it all, or did she never learn to do that? Where is the woman Vala MalDoran used to be?

The galaxy has shaped her views of it in a way that is totally unique to her, and one that we've never seen before (though maybe we could have, if they'd let Sarah stick around)... and I want to know just exactly what makes her the way she is. What happened to her to turn the perfectly normal young woman she used to be into what she is now?
                ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times .

PERFECT, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTAND ME!

I don't care that Vala is cute, but she is SO FAR from being honorable. SO this is why I don't like this caracter! The fact that she is cute, is only to increase ratings....
                  All good things must come to an end...
                  Canada Rule!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    last pathetic season of farscape
                    I haven't even finished reading the thread and I have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. The last season of Farscape was one of its high points... tied with season 3. I especially like when shows have a big underlying plot, especially a bit multi-race coldwar.

I suppose you thought Peacekeeper Wars was pathetic too? I mean, it really felt like an extended, higher budget season 4 episode...
                    </rant>

Comment

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm personally looking forward to having Vala as a main character, and not because I'm a fan of Farscape. Infact, I only became a fan of Farscape over the past few months while SG-1 has been on mid-season break.

The way I look at it is this: the writers have given Vala enough drama in her backstory that she can be a serious or comedic character, or a mix of both. I suspect it'll be a mix. After seeing CB in 4 seasons of Farscape, she is more than capable of portraying the mix.

I don't understand where all this rhetoric about Stargate becoming a "comedy" is coming from. It's always had a comedic element, and I don't think that has changed with season 9. I felt the only really comedic episode involving Vala this season was The Ties That Bind. Granted, she had a few moments in the other episodes early this season, but on the whole they were fairly serious episodes.

Personally I'm really curious about her backstory. It will explain why she is the way she is, and I'm looking forward to that. Obviously being taken as a Goa'uld host for quite a while has had a profound impact on her. I have faith in the writers.

For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet. Different isn't neccessarily bad. The show is been on TV for going on 10 years now, and the franchise has existed since 1992. Aside from the cast being the same until season 6, the show was fairly stable. Since then it has changed from year to year. Get over it. Seriously. I've been watching the show since day 1. I even saw the movie in the theatres - multiple times.

Anyways, I probably come off like a ranting lunatic and I really couldn't care less.

In closing - don't pass judgement on a character until you've seen them integrated and explored in the show. No matter what people say, being a recurring character in a handful of episodes is vastly different than being a main character. Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz

Vala is great!

-Turboz
                        Agree

Comment

Originally posted by tflux
                          Anyway, back on topic...

I'm personally looking forward to having Vala as a main character, and not because I'm a fan of Farscape. Infact, I only became a fan of Farscape over the past few months while SG-1 has been on mid-season break.

The way I look at it is this: the writers have given Vala enough drama in her backstory that she can be a serious or comedic character, or a mix of both. I suspect it'll be a mix. After seeing CB in 4 seasons of Farscape, she is more than capable of portraying the mix.

I don't understand where all this rhetoric about Stargate becoming a "comedy" is coming from. It's always had a comedic element, and I don't think that has changed with season 9. I felt the only really comedic episode involving Vala this season was The Ties That Bind. Granted, she had a few moments in the other episodes early this season, but on the whole they were fairly serious episodes.

Personally I'm really curious about her backstory. It will explain why she is the way she is, and I'm looking forward to that. Obviously being taken as a Goa'uld host for quite a while has had a profound impact on her. I have faith in the writers.

For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet. Different isn't neccessarily bad. The show is been on TV for going on 10 years now, and the franchise has existed since 1992. Aside from the cast being the same until season 6, the show was fairly stable. Since then it has changed from year to year. Get over it. Seriously. I've been watching the show since day 1. I even saw the movie in the theatres - multiple times.

Anyways, I probably come off like a ranting lunatic and I really couldn't care less.

In closing - don't pass judgement on a character until you've seen them integrated and explored in the show. No matter what people say, being a recurring character in a handful of episodes is vastly different than being a main character. Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it.
                          Thank you, tflux, well stated. I do not see you as a 'ranting lunatic' at all.
                          I want Stargate SG-1 to continue and it needs to be interesting and entertaining,
                          that is what is has always been.
                          That is all many of us want too: Give it a chance.

Comment

tflux i'd green ya if i could. That's exactly what i've been trying to say.

they should have at least changed the name of the show or something.
                            They were going to. It was gonig to be called 'Stargate Command' but for whatever reason they decided to stick with SG1.

Comment

So i heard. I think I have figured out my problem with Vala (don't judge before you read!): they haven't done anything so far to tell us about her character, besides the fact that she generally isn't trustworthy and you should watch her with your guy. So far that's about all that they've shown us about her. I believe that just about everyone has a good part in them somewhere, and she fits into that catagory. Now I kinda would like to see more of the good. I didn't get to see Beachhead, and I heard that she was much better in that one so maybe they are gonna show us some good stuff about her now. I apologize if you all thought that I was flatly saying that she didn't have a chance in the world. I find it hard to see if you like someone if you know nothing about them.

Thanks to -Jules- for the sig pic!

"It hops, it hops! It hops jolly high!" The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Comment

Originally posted by tflux
                                Anyway, back on topic...

Perhaps it is the irritating way the "we love everything about the new cast" people behave by being so arrogant as to think, that based on their OPINIONS, they have the right to tell people who do not feel the same way as they do, and whose OPINIONS differ from theirs that they are ignorant and should "sit down and shut it". Well perhaps it is you that should sit down and shut it for a while - or perhaps the possies should just stop telling others, who don't necessarily think like them, what to do and think and stop calling them names. Why don't the possies just shut it with the arrogance and say what they want to say about the show and leave everyone else, positive, negative or indeifferent, to have their say as well. Last time I looked this was not a protected thread nor was it against forum rules to say what you think on this forum.

If you don't like what you see then leave or don't read it - just like I have the choice to leave or not read yours. If I choose to read yours I certainly have the right not to expect to be called ignorant by someone who knows nothing about me or my motives or my likes and dislikes - ignorance is, BTW, the lack of knowledge and for you to call me ignorant without any knowledge of who I am or what motivates me is in fact ignorant on your part. (You may say your post was not directed at me - well please re-read it, as well as my posts on this thread, and you will see exactly why you have called me ignorant. As written your post is directed at me, as well as at every other person who dares to have an opinion different from yours and who chooses to write criticisms about the show and about vala.)

The criticisms, legitimate criticisms, I have after watching this show for 8 years are based on, imo, a continuous decline in the quality of the writing and directing (read as show-runner) and overall direction of the show and the characters that I have seen since season 7 - it is not based on one character, although I admit that vala is a complete and utter embarrasment to a show that never needed to stoop to sci-fi cliches and caricatures of the worst kind. I have watched this show go from a strong, well-written, respected show to a wanna-be comedy, cliche ridden nightmare all in the hopes of seeing it regain it's greatness - alas, IMO, it has not and based on what I see it will not be able to regain anything close to its greatness (or what I considered it great for) especially with vala around and with the continued dumbing-down direction TPTB have chosen to take to attract the lowest common denominator in ratings.

Because of the big picture I see for S9 and S10 I have chosen to back away form the show and now only watch once in a blue moon and even then I often feel like it has been a waste of my time to watch. Second half of S9 -- who knows how many I'll bother with and depending on what type of role vala has in S10, and where they go with the rest of the characters and the stories (especially if there is a little
                                Spoiler:
                                vala sprog
                                in the story and if they continue to portray Daniel - whose name they should have changed because that is not the Daniel who was a core part of why SG1 was so good - as vala's foil, lapdog, sidekick, etc.) that could very well be the end for me. I know one person won't matter but I have a feeling that in the end, I will not be alone in my former fandom.

Edited to add spoiler space as was rightly pointed out later in this thread.
                                Last edited by binkpmmc; 25 November 2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X