This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acce
    Do they want to turn stargate sg1 in a comedy?
    Was it ever not a comedy?

Seriously, I think it's nigh impossible for Stargate to lose the intense and epic drama we've been subjected to for all these years. They'll do something really cool with Vala. I liked her in the episode "TPTB" for once, so I can see where she might be going. As long as she loses the lame jokes, or they get Carl Binder to write her material. Or she gets some wisecrack lessons from O'Neill or Sheppard. Whatever it takes.

Comment

I know I'm going to sound UnAustralian for this, but I don't like Vala either. I like Claudia's other works... but not in my stargate!!!
      The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

I can't bear to watch SG-1 when she's in it. Bang goes season ten, then.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
        ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

I'm was totally stoked when i heard she was backin S10.

Was it ever not a comedy?
          Exactly. SG1 isn't just scifi. It has drama, comedy and action too. TPTB themselves have said it's multi-genre...like most things these days.

Vala the character is a standard Sci fi female. Nothing special about her. Nothing like the original Stargate characters.
          Riiiight, because 5 eps into S1 we all knew how special SG1 were I don't think any of them got interesting until S2.
          A character is only as interesting as the writer makes them. Cumon, how much work do you want on a character that was only going to be in 1 (PU) then 4 eps?

The backstory we DO have on Vala is an excellent foundation for some very interesting stories (like pinguino 89 mentioned earlier).

Just look at the scene in Origin
          Spoiler:
          where she's talking to Daniel about not being able to save everyone. I don't think she was blagging him there - she had no reason to.
          ....and in Avalon 2
          Spoiler:
          she was visably distraught after being burned alive
          . Just bc she isn't serious all the time doesn't mean she can't be.

So far she is a thief, someone that can't be trusted and is only in it for herself.
          Precisley. So far. Hello!? She's spent the last, how many years?, having to fend for herself after being exiled from her planet. She does what she does to surive and get ahead, not fall into the dredges of society..to end up a slave for some God.
          Who else has she had to be 'in it' for? As far as we know..nobody. No close family or friends
          Spoiler:
          Anyone she did have chose to disown her after she was taken by the gou'ald
          Maybe being with SG1, forming bonds with people, caring about people and vice versa will do her good.

So she jokes a lot. So did Jack, and i don't recall anyone moaning about him using humour as a defense mechanism. Or it could just be that, like me, she's very 'straight' and says what she thinks..be it sarcastic, literal or just plain goofy, People have found things i've said to be funny even when i was being serious

Basically, i think Vala is full of potential and look forward to S10

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
            Basically, i think Vala is full of potential and look forward to S10
            Yes, she does.
            School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz

It's about time SG-1 had a good looking mature woman again after Dr Fraser. She's a real fit babe for a woman in her 30's and to be honest I quite like her.

Carter isn't really very attractive and I've always found her a bit boring to look at. Hope that doesn't cause offence..

-Turboz
              OH COME ONNNNNNN, What Kind of ..... ARRGGGG.... If its babes you wanna see, watch something else.....
              They've done that to increase ratings, instead to work on a beter senario........ Come on.....
              All good things must come to an end...
              Canada Rule!!!

Comment

a lot of replies so far, if this has been said, shoot me.

i am not that happy with the idea. i'm in a neurtal state.with Landry, Mitchell and the Doctor who i can't rmember at the moment, i was hoping we'd see more character development with them. Vala was a good character, but i hope to see her change from the comedy role which she is currently filling.

i do think that with more serious roles for her well she the development of a very interesting character (such as her former goa'uld past) but i'd rather focus on the other new cast members and even on some of the older ones (walter still deserves his own episode) and not waste time on a character who at the moment doesn't really interest me.

sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen Season 9 yet, I was a fan of Farscape as well, very interesting show.
                  [QUOTE=SaberBlade
                  (walter still deserves his own episode) [/QUOTE]

AMEN to that hahah or Harimond or technician whatever his name is. That would be awesome if they did like "Lost City" from his perspective or something hahaha

In Prometheus Unbound tho (spoilers)

I sorta liked her, but she needs way more development, the Daniel Vala relationship is awesome, but i think she needs way more then just that to survive and be likable.....But i have faith in the writers of this awesome show
                  Last edited by Heffa; 24 November 2005, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think Vala will just be the comedy act anymore. Yes, she'll still throw out some awesome material from time to time, but we have started to see a change in her. It started in "The Powers That Be", and culminated in "Beachhead". I am relatively optimistic about what tptb have planned with her. And SaberBlade, as for Walter having his own ep, that would sooo rock!
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      The difference is that Jack is an honorable person. Vala (as written) is a thief and an opportunist, and a very self-centered one at that.

I'm sure TPTB plan to redeem her. They started with her exit from the show when she saved the day.
                      They can try to redeem her as much as they want. After that what I have seen from her I will not accept her as a part of SG 1. She is, as you said it, completly self-centred and opportunistic and I will ever believe that she is just pretending to have changed. I have meet in reality too much people like her, who just enjoy it to make the life for other people bad so that they can feel a little bit more important, as that I would want watching someone like her destroying my favourite TV show. I suppose my days as a Stargate fan have come to an end. I will give Atlantis another try but if the next season will not absolutly great than I will stop watching this show too.

There were so many changes in the last year we had to accept: Good bye to Jack, goodbye to the egyption mythology, goodbye to the Asgard,goodbye to the teamfeeling. For me it´s enough. Making Vala a full time cast member was for this fan one change too much.
                      Last edited by Kirara; 25 November 2005, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirara
                        They can try to redeem her as much as they want. After that what I have seen from her I will not accept her as a part of SG 1. She is, as you said it, completly self-centred and opportunistic and I will ever believe that she is just pretending to have changed. I have meet in reality too much people like her, who just enjoy it to make the life for other people bad so that they can feel a little bit more important, as that I would want watching someone like her destroying my favourite TV show. I suppose my days as a Stargate fan have come to an end. I will give Atlantis another try but if the next season will not absolutly great than I will stop watching this show too.

There were so many changes in the last year we had to accept: Good bye to Jack, goodbye to the egyption mythology, goodbye to the Asgard,goodbye to the teamfeeling. For me it´s enough. Making Vala a full time cast member was for this fan one change too much.
                        Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest. You will not be held accountable for your actions. After all its not your fault if you had a bad upbringing, it can all be excused.

Thats a long, long, long way from the Stargate I originally started watching. The stargate that captured me with the heroic coolness of the characters in just 2 episodes. People willing to sacrifice themselves for each other and the greater good of earth.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Now what exactly is wrong with a good show like Stargate having an attractive woman to watch?

You need to chill out mate. Stop taking this all so seriously. Stargate is after all Entertainment with a fit woman or without.

Jeez some people really have attitude.

As some others have mentioned, Jack had humour - no-one complained about that but instead they all said they miss jack when he left.

Now we have another comedian (who incidentally is female and good looking) and everyone is up in arms about the whole thing. Why?

After we defeat the Ori what else can the producers throw at us? - Another race on a higher plane of existence? - More Gou'ald?, Perhaps even the universe being a living being that wants us all dead?

Come on, Vala will bring some more variety to the show. She's got charisma, she's cheerful, funny, good looking and probably what the show needed for a long time.

I also remember the new General that replaced Jack having a sense of humour - anyone complaining?

In my original post I did say that I hope I did not cause offence - You still jumped down my throat so I'll say this and make myself feel better:
                          Vala is great!

-Turboz
                          Last edited by Turboz; 25 November 2005, 04:50 AM.

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                            Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest.
                            Based on nothing more than the fact that Vala is going to be a regular character? What, this one character is going to completely erase the personalities and moral codes of everyone else in the SGC and rewrite them in her image? Suddenly Daniel is going to start lying to people, Sam is going to start stealing, and Teal'c is going to start cheating at poker?

If one character has that much influence over the personalities of the other members of the SGC, then Season Six would have seen them all turn into lying, backstabbing, self-interested traitors.
                            ~bri~

Comment

Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest. You will not be held accountable for your actions. After all its not your fault if you had a bad upbringing, it can all be excused.
                              Not excused. Explained (to a degree).

FYI good honest people don't always get ahead. Did you complain when SG1 have manipulated people in the past for their own good? What about when Sam lied to Fifth when he was setting the time-dialation device?

People willing to sacrifice themselves for each other and the greater good of earth.
                              Have you not watched Beachead?
                              Spoiler:
                              Yeah she got out but there was a very good chance she wouldn't and what's more, it's not like she ringed back to the safety of the Prommie.
                              She didn't have to do that. She could have left Sam,Daniel,Cam and Teal'C deliberating what to do.

Comment

Like the poll says, "I'm cautiously optimistic" and will withhold judgement until I see how they work her in. I would like to see her turn into a Tok'ra, but that's just me.

To the person that said that they wanted more character development with the new characters, you got to realized that character development for the original cast didn't happen over night.

Comment

Working...
                                X