This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they haven't done anything so far to tell us about her character,
    True, but i'm willing to overlook that as when she was first signed up it was for one ep only (PU). Then when she returned it was only meant to be for 5 eps, so i can't blame the writers for not giving a character a lot of backstory if she isn't coming back. i think they've struck a nice balance with the backstory they HAVE shown.

especially if there is a
    Spoiler:
    little vala sprog in the story
    What's with that? I've heard
    Spoiler:
    'Vala's sprog'
    a few times but that's it...no details. What's it all about and where's it come from?

they continue to portray Daniel <snip> as vala's foil, lapdog, sidekick, etc
    I don't see it like that at all. I see it more of a long-term Urgo situation. They HAVE to be together (i don't mean this in a shippy way) or they'll die. Makes sense to make the best out of a bad situation.
    Last edited by SallyLizzie; 25 November 2005, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should just back out of this thread while people will still talk to me..... bye.

Thanks to -Jules- for the sig pic!

"It hops, it hops! It hops jolly high!" The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
        What's it all about and where's it come from?
        It's a SPOILER, and one that people really should stop throwing around in the general forum.
        ~bri~

Comment

It's a SPOILER, and one that people really should stop throwing around in the general forum.
          Well i gathered that

I just wanted to know more about it so if you know, or anybody here knows for that matter, please PM me with details. Thanx

Sorry brihana ITA that spoilers should not be thrown around ANYWHERE.
          *goes back and edits post*

Comment

Well i gathered that

I just wanted to know more about it so if you know, or anybody here knows for that matter, please PM me with details. Thanx

Sorry brihana ITA that spoilers should not be thrown around ANYWHERE.
            *goes back and edits post*
            Oh, I wasn't talking about you!

No, I was talking about the fact that you've seen it a lot lately, because I have too... in a lot of places it doesn't belong, like the News and General forums.

We've just got to get the Rep and Report options back...

Anyway,
            Spoiler:
            a "sprog" is a slang term for a baby.
            ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25

Anyway,
              Spoiler:
              Oh good It's just i was going to go into lecture mode then i remembered i hadn't used tags either

Spoiler:
              Yeah i know sprog = baby. I was just wondering where this info originated from, and if there was any additional info...like who the father is and if it has any relativity to the story (as opposed to just having her pregnant for the sake of it)

Comment

tflux i'd green ya if i could. That's exactly what i've been trying to say.

They were going to. It was gonig to be called 'Stargate Command' but for whatever reason they decided to stick with SG1.
                they decided to stick with sg1 for two reasons

a) sony/mgm/scifi thought that the fans were too unintelligent to realize that Stargate Command used to be Stargate

b) they'd have a hard time pimping it as the 'longest running us scifi show' if the title changed
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tflux
                  ...For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet....Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it.
                  If the reputation system were working I would absolutely red ding you for the above two comments. The rest of your post which I snipped was your opinion about the show and is welcome here, but these two statements were unforgivably rude to every poster here at GW, whatever their opinion.

Please consider that you are speaking to people who have just as much right to their opinions as you do. Kindness and tolerance count here. Calling people ignorant for disagreeing with you is unacceptable, as is telling people to shut up.

Comment

Calling people ignorant for disagreeing with you is unacceptable, as is telling people to shut up.
                    tflux ita agreed with the majority of what you said but i also agree with Seshat. This isn't a Pro or Anti thread, it's for general discussion where we can post the pro's and con's of what we think of Vala in S10 so please refrain from posting such comments. Thanx

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    they'd have a hard time pimping it as the 'longest running us scifi show' if the title changed
                    I thought it may have had to do with the longest running show stuff but i never knew about the connection reason. If they were that concerned all they had to do was manage their advertising. Not like it would cost any more as they would be advertising regardless. Guess the 2nd reason has more to do with it.

Comment

No, I was talking about the fact that you've seen it a lot lately, because I have too... in a lot of places it doesn't belong, like the News and General forums.

We've just got to get the Rep and Report options back...

Anyway,
                      Spoiler:
                      Your point on spoilers was a good one and I have edited my above post to add spoilers. I too wish the rep and report systems were working . . . .

Comment

It's an opinion I agree with.

When she talks about her pre-Qetesh life, she seems very nostalgic - so what was she like? She obviously wasn't very old when she was taken, she was engaged, she had her life planned... and then along comes a snake that takes it all away from her.

Where is the woman Vala MalDoran used to be?

The galaxy has shaped her views of it in a way that is totally unique to her, and one that we've never seen before (though maybe we could have, if they'd let Sarah stick around)... and I want to know just exactly what makes her the way she is. What happened to her to turn the perfectly normal young woman she used to be into what she is now?
                        Now that's something I can agree with, brihana25. I feel there is a lot of potential for Vala to grow and reveal herself on the show.

I'm one of those with the angst I think you're detecting from many fans. It's not so much hating Vala (although there is some strong dislike expressed hereabout for Vala and Sam) but its the HOW she's being or will be integrated into the show. By displacing another lead character. Do they HAVE to do this? All that you expressed so well above seems able to work with the cast intact.

And what's up, two women of strength and contrast can't be seen on screen together? I am so longing to see these two up close and personal, exploring not just Vala's goa'uld past but Sam's unrevealed Tok'Ra aftermath; but what do we get but more division regarding females' age, looks, bodies. Take the brain out of SG1, and add fluff to appeal to...who? It's a science fiction show with an honored track record. Are tptb going to keep true to this?

Just sayin', I can't say Vala will ruin the show, that's not my feeling. Will the series WRITE her as a viable element or not is my concern. They can, but will they? Alas, it's of course, wait and see. One can only hope, for all our sakes
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                          If the reputation system were working I would absolutely red ding you for the above two comments.
                          Fortunately I'm not all that concerned.

I don't disagree that those comments weren't harsh and/or rude. Normally its very difficult to annoy me, but I mean, it's a simple concept: "don't judge a book by it's cover". Vala's few appearances this season are nothing more than the cover. There is alot more character development to be done. Give it a shot and then judge the character.

As for the people who think the show is becoming trite and following in the footsteps of the X-Files, that's wonderful that you think that. No one is holding a gun to your head to keep watching. There is lots of other Sci-Fi on TV that you could be watching, though I challenge you to find something better than Stargate.

Lastly, since the announcement about Vala's involvement in S10 I've noticed some awfully sarcastic and uncalled for posts on the JM thread. No matter how much you disagree with the direction of the show or the decisions of the producers, at least show some respect and don't post sarcastic rhetoric. Just come out and post a concise, down to the point opinion.

Though looking back I can't seem to find those posts... maybe I'm not looking back far enough. Though I do see a post from David regarding tact... maybe cooler minds have prevailed.

Comment

Originally posted by tflux
                            Fortunately I'm not all that concerned.

I don't disagree that those comments weren't harsh and/or rude. Normally its very difficult to annoy me, but I mean, it's a simple concept: "don't judge a book by it's cover". Vala's few appearances this season are nothing more than the cover. There is alot more character development to be done. Give it a shot and then judge the character.
                            If only you had said that in the first place, rather than telling people who have a different opinion than you to "shut it"...

As for the people who think the show is becoming trite and following in the footsteps of the X-Files, that's wonderful that you think that. No one is holding a gun to your head to keep watching. There is lots of other Sci-Fi on TV that you could be watching, though I challenge you to find something better than Stargate.
                            *shrug* I think that BSG wipes the floor with Stargate, but that argument isn't the topic of this thread.

There seems to be a pervasive attitude with many posters that if people don't like where season ten, with or without Vala, is headed then they should just vanish. Don't express your concerns, don't express your disappointment, don't voice any opinion that you think that the show isn't as good as it used to be. Just turn off the channel and vanish from fandom forever. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. Plenty of people are upset with Vala and season ten and they have every right to voice their opinion on this forum as you do. If it bothers you that much, use the ignore feature.

Lastly, since the announcement about Vala's involvement in S10 I've noticed some awfully sarcastic and uncalled for posts on the JM thread. No matter how much you disagree with the direction of the show or the decisions of the producers, at least show some respect and don't post sarcastic rhetoric. Just come out and post a concise, down to the point opinion.

Though looking back I can't seem to find those posts... maybe I'm not looking back far enough. Though I do see a post from David regarding tact... maybe cooler minds have prevailed.
                            ...perhaps your rant would have been better suited to that thread then?

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              Your point on spoilers was a good one and I have edited my above post to add spoilers. I too wish the rep and report systems were working . . . .
                              Thank you, binkpmmc. I'm sorry if I came off sounding rude about that, but your had to be the fifth or sixth mention of that particular spoiler I'd seen yesterday, and I was just getting frustrated.

Now, to everyone else...

Emotions are high right now, I understand that. It's just starting to seem as if the lack of culpability right now has people feeling that they are free to say whatever they want to whomever they want without fear of repercussion of any kind, and it's starting to devolve into a free-for-all us-vs-them situation, which it doesn't have to be.

I'm going under the assumption that we're all mostly adults here, and that we should all be able to have an intelligent conversation, even about something as obviously divided as this, without having to stoop to calling each other names, insulting each other's intelligence, or telling each other to shut up and go away.

And the posts that are there just to say, "I'd red you if I could" or "I'd green you if I could" really aren't helping the discussion move along at all.

Would I be out of line in asking that everyone just step back for a second, take a deep breath, and think about what you say before you say it? This is a "hot" issue and one that does bear discussion, but not at the expense of both sides coming off looking like a pack of dogs fighting over the last bone in the kennel.
                              ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                                I'm one of those with the angst I think you're detecting from many fans. It's not so much hating Vala (although there is some strong dislike expressed hereabout for Vala and Sam) but its the HOW she's being or will be integrated into the show. By displacing another lead character. Do they HAVE to do this? All that you expressed so well above seems able to work with the cast intact.
                                Absolutely it can work with the cast intact - that's why I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that it won't.

JM has said in the past that
                                Spoiler:
                                the chances are very high of the development of a strong, close, "opposites attract" friendship developing between Sam and Vala
                                , and that couldn't possibly happen if one of them weren't actually around on a full-time basis. He's also said that
                                Spoiler:
                                Sam's story is going to be fully vested in SG1, and Daniel will be going to Atlantis at some point too
                                , which says to me that she's not going anywhere for more than maybe an episode or two, and she won't be going alone.

On top of all of that, he's said on more than one occassion that people are overreacting to the whole situation, which is something that I've been thinking from the very beginning - long before he said it. AT said something at a convention that was (according to both her and JM) has blown way out of proportion, and a whole bunch of people took it and ran with it... now, those people were all willing (obviously) to take her words to heart then and interpret them however they chose to do so - mostly negatively, it seems - but very few seem willing to take her at her word now, when she's saying that she *didn't* mean it the way so many people are thinking she did.

Myself, I'd rather base my feelings and speculations about the upcoming season on what she's has actually said about it, rather than on second and third hand interpretations of something she *might* have meant.

And what's up, two women of strength and contrast can't be seen on screen together? I am so longing to see these two up close and personal, exploring not just Vala's goa'uld past but Sam's unrevealed Tok'Ra aftermath; but what do we get but more division regarding females' age, looks, bodies. Take the brain out of SG1, and add fluff to appeal to...who? It's a science fiction show with an honored track record. Are tptb going to keep true to this?
                                Oh, I completely agree. I'd *love* to see these two as friends - it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

The only divisiveness I've seen though, honestly... seems to be coming from the fans, and not from TPTB themselves. AT and CB are both stunningly beautiful women, no arguement there. And the only people claiming that Sam is being pushed out to make room for Vala are the fans - JM and AT themselves are saying the exact *opposite*, but no one seems willing to listen to them.

Just sayin', I can't say Vala will ruin the show, that's not my feeling. Will the series WRITE her as a viable element or not is my concern. They can, but will they? Alas, it's of course, wait and see. One can only hope, for all our sakes
                                Again, I agree fully. I see the potential for some amazing stories to come along with Vala's presence, for all four members of the team (which does include Sam) and for Vala herself... and I've seen TPTB write some amazing stories so far this season. Prototype, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat and my heart pounding like no episode has in *years*.

So, can they keep it up, now that they've got it back? All I can do is wait, and hope, and have a little faith in them to keep doing what it is that they've been doing so well lately.
                                ~bri~

Comment

Working...
                                X