S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
    No, they were cool. What about them was boring?
    Overpowered, overhyped, not threatening enough.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

3 of the 6 letters of the word. See? Right in the *middle*.

Seriously? What Gregorius said. And more. I'll compile a list and get back to you. Sometimes next year.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        3 of the 6 letters of the word. See? Right in the *middle*.

Seriously? What Gregorius said. And more. I'll compile a list and get back to you. Sometimes next year.

suse
        Very clever. DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT RACE CAR SPELLED BACKWARDS IS RAC ECAR? (MORE COMMONLY KNOWN AS RACE CAR?)

I thought they were great villains. They were like the Goa'uld, but they could back up their power with miracles. If you looked at it the right way you could see yourself converting to Origin, but there were very convincing arguments for doing so. They made Supergates and black holes, they were at least as powerful as the Ancients, and they just seemed generally unstoppable. We fought them every step of the way.
        I will agree though that the Ark of Truth was kind of an anticlimactic end to the arc. Oh well. It was fun to watch.

Comment

I thought they were great villains. They were like the Goa'uld, but they could back up their power with miracles.
          As could the Goa'uld, they just used a different trick. Basically they're like the Goa'uld but without the class, style, and history, and as such they are boring.

Had they at least shown a small bit of Ancient history by means of a flashback episode where we see the Ancients and Ori fighting, it would've at least given them something that made the substantial. Now they were nameless, boring enemies that worked through even lamer operatives.

If you looked at it the right way you could see yourself converting to Origin, but there were very convincing arguments for doing so.
          Still boring. They were probably the result of failed social commentary.

They made Supergates and black holes, they were at least as powerful as the Ancients, and they just seemed generally unstoppable. We fought them every step of the way.
          Which doesn't make an iota of sense. They have the power, they have the technology, they have the knowledge, and yet they are stopped by a bunch of primitive apes with a fleet of about 3 vessels and primitive weapons? That requires WAY too much suspension of disbelieve.

The Ancients could wipe out life in a galaxy, then surely the Ori could instruct their priors to simply wipe out all life on Earth by means of constructing another Dakara device? It should be trivial for them. Plus, give the priors and soldiers some phasing technology and personal shields, and make them go through the Earth gate and simply take over from there. If the Tollan can escape from the SGC with primitive technology then surely the Ori could do the same.

This is what makes the Ori boring. They are nearly all powerful, have all the tech in the universe, and yet we all know they'll be stopped by the primitive apes from Earth. It makes no sense and severely limits their potential.

They would've been way more amusing had they invaded the Galaxy, nearly wiped out the Ancients and Earth would be the last bastion, protected by the remaining ancients, and the SGC would have to fight alongside the Goa'uld in a guerrilla warfare.

I will agree though that the Ark of Truth was kind of an anticlimactic end to the arc. Oh well. It was fun to watch.
          It was a lame cop-out. A big Deus ex Machina to solve a boring storyline.
          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Very clever. DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT RACE CAR SPELLED BACKWARDS IS RAC ECAR? (MORE COMMONLY KNOWN AS RACE CAR?)

I thought they were great villains. They were like the Goa'uld, but they could back up their power with miracles. If you looked at it the right way you could see yourself converting to Origin, but there were very convincing arguments for doing so. They made Supergates and black holes, they were at least as powerful as the Ancients, and they just seemed generally unstoppable. We fought them every step of the way.
            <<cleans blood out of ears from the shouting>>

Their followers had to use a staff, the same way the Goa'uld had to use instruments. Yes, it was more powerful, but it was still technology. We don't know what the Ori use, we never saw them, only their followers. And flames.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              <<cleans blood out of ears from the shouting>>

Their followers had to use a staff, the same way the Goa'uld had to use instruments. Yes, it was more powerful, but it was still technology. We don't know what the Ori use, we never saw them, only their followers. And flames.

suse
              And we got a lot of offhanded remarks.
              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

The Ori are this monolithic, überpowerful group of villains. They never engage their opponents with meaningful dialogue; they simply threaten and then kill. There is no real opportunity for SG-1 to hurt them. In the end, the only way the humans can defeat them is by finding a magic weapon from an ancient race and using it to commit genocide with no discussion of the ethical implications of their actions.

The Ori aren't complex enough to be interesting. The whole storyline is what I'd expect from an inexperienced fanfic writer.
                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Okay. You win. The Ori are boring. I will now remove any enjoyment I might have experienced while viewing the episodes in the last two seasons.

Comment

Okay. You win. The Ori are boring. I will now remove any enjoyment I might have experienced while viewing the episodes in the last two seasons.
                    Thank you.

*adds another crushed spirit to his book*

Now you'll be feel the pain, despair, horror, and nauseousness we felt when we were watching those last two seasons.
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                      Agreed. He was kind of awesome in Continuum. If he would have been that general in the show I would have quite liked him. Plus, it seemed as though he finally got his eyebrows under control...
                      He was great in Continuum-still not so sure about the eyebrows, though!

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                      If Mitchell and Landry are supposed to be the best, then no. Then again, I always assumed Landry was a political appointee, Kinsey's final act of revenge against the SGC, although that merely stengthens the "no".
                      Sadly, In Avalon Landry talks about Jack showing up on his doorstep to talk about the stargate program- so, just like Mitchell, Landry was supposedly handpicked by Jack. Meaning we're supposed to instantly accept if not adore the man. I, however, must have missed that memo.

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                      When would he? When they had RDA under contract for five episodes, TPTB chose to use him more in Atlantis than SG-1. Then again, I doubt that conversation would have been well-written. It would have been written as a joke rather than with any character development.
                      Don't forget Continuum. He was as far as he could be from her. Although he did point out that she might have gone to the bathroom- which may have been Jack just joking around or else he'd expect her to do exactly that right in the middle of an important ceremony with some of our most important allies.

Comment

Thank you.

*adds another crushed spirit to his book*

Now you'll be feel the pain, despair, horror, and nauseousness we felt when we were watching those last two seasons.
                        Through a scheme involving goats, time travel, and a very unexpected pregnancy, I have managed to regain my soul.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          Don't forget Continuum. He was as far as he could be from her. Although he did point out that she might have gone to the bathroom- which may have been Jack just joking around or else he'd expect her to do exactly that right in the middle of an important ceremony with some of our most important allies.
                          It looked like to me, they wanted the least amount of interaction between the two characters, (which was fine with me )

I also preferred Brad's Quetesh, much much more than Rob's Vala.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                            Sadly, In Avalon Landry talks about Jack showing up on his doorstep to talk about the stargate program- so, just like Mitchell, Landry was supposedly handpicked by Jack. Meaning we're supposed to instantly accept if not adore the man. I, however, must have missed that memo.
                            That still doesn't exclude the political appointment angle. Jack might've been forced to brief Landry on the program after Landry had been appointed by Kinsey or someone else.

Anyway: You're seeing it all wrong. Kinsey appointed Landry and then altered his memories to think Jack did it.
                            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

You're seeing it all wrong. Kinsey appointed Landry and then altered his memories to think Jack did it.
                              Yea, I like this version better
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Yea, I like this version better
                                Kinsey might've even replaced the real Jack. It would explain a lot of things...
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X