S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
    The main problem with Mitchell is that introduced him in the wrong way and gave him the wrong background. Had they mentioned him in S8 as part of a special team of the SGC, people might've accepted him.

Instead they went the "Rookie pilot" Marty Sue way. They really, really, couldn't have thought that people were going to accept that a rookie, unless he was a supergenius created by Anubis or was implanted with a symbiot, was going to lead the FLAGSHIP team over someone who had over 8 years of experience.
    8 years of field experience ... plus 2-3 working on the Stargate prior to being assigned to the SGC and SG1 ... so, more like 10-11 years by the time Mitchell came along.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      8 years of field experience ... plus 2-3 working on the Stargate prior to being assigned to the SGC and SG1 ... so, more like 10-11 years by the time Mitchell came along.
      I forgot about that although it isn't as important as the field experience.

Did anyone else get the feeling they didn't really know how to write for Mitchell?
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Did anyone else get the feeling they didn't really know how to write for Mitchell?
        As. We. Met.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          As. We. Met.

suse
          I don't recogise that expression.

Anyway, the same really applied to all the new characters. None of them were consistent and all of them felt like they didn't really fit in (Lam: A rookie Doctor, considering her age, in charge of a classified program's medical facility with her dad in charge? That makes SO much sense...).

And the old characters, they were also changed beyond recognition when the plot demanded it (Sam becoming a damsel in distress, etc.).
          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Well, they do have Felger working on a new type of laser/weapon there.

It's amazing that Landry didn't have Felger join SG1.
            sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
              It's amazing that Landry didn't have Felger join SG1.
              Cam, Vala and Felger on a single team. SG-1 wouldn't be the flagship team, it would be the screw-upteam. They'd blunder from disaster to disaster and end up saving the day by accident.

Stargate: SG-1 - The Three Stooges.
              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I don't recogise that expression.

Anyway, the same really applied to all the new characters. None of them were consistent and all of them felt like they didn't really fit in (Lam: A rookie Doctor, considering her age, in charge of a classified program's medical facility with her dad in charge? That makes SO much sense...).

And the old characters, they were also changed beyond recognition when the plot demanded it (Sam becoming a damsel in distress, etc.).
                Don't forget Vala, one second she's the female version of Frank Abagnale and the next she's a poor neglected Daddy's girl.

Comment

Cam, Vala and Felger on a single team. SG-1 wouldn't be the flagship team, it would be the screw-upteam. They'd blunder from disaster to disaster and end up saving the day by accident.

Stargate: SG-1 - The Three Stooges.
                  Brilliant! You could throw in Dr Lee for good measure.

Comment

Don't forget Vala, one second she's the female version of Frank Abagnale and the next she's a poor neglected Daddy's girl.
                    I consider Vala a new character that didn't fit and wasn't written consistently.

Brilliant! You could throw in Dr Lee for good measure.
                    No, he's not that big of a screw-up.

Season 9 and 10 really looked to me like that showrunner said to his writers: "Guys, we have to introduce a few new characters and a new big bad. All I'm asking of you is that you use them as you see fit and otherwise you're free to do whatever you want."
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Cam I think was written to fit what ever scenario the writers (under Coop) came up. It didn't matter it made him look like he had multiple personalities. The plot came first, the characterization came 2nd 3d...ah...last

As for the other character's, with Landry and Lam, it was a poor rendtion of the Sam and Jacob storyline...something people came to care about...I sure didn't care for the new ones
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I consider Vala a new character that didn't fit and wasn't written consistently.

No, he's not that big of a screw-up.

Season 9 and 10 really looked to me like that showrunner said to his writers: "Guys, we have to introduce a few new characters and a new big bad. All I'm asking of you is that you use them as you see fit and otherwise you're free to do whatever you want."
                        One of the problems the writers had was they didn't know what the Ori were; the Ori were all in Coop's head...and even he had a hard time to explain what they were.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Cam I think was written to fit what ever scenario the writers (under Coop) came up. It didn't matter it made him look like he had multiple personalities. The plot came first, the characterization came 2nd 3d...ah...last
                          Yeah, I pointed that out in a later post.

As for the other character's, with Landry and Lam, it was a poor rendtion of the Sam and Jacob storyline...something people came to care about...I sure didn't care for the new ones
                          Indeed, and I didn't care either. I found Landry annoying and Lam, the only reason I tolerated her was because her actress was pretty otherwise she was a poor man's substitute for Janet.

One of the problems the writers had was they didn't know what the Ori were; the Ori were all in Coop's head...and even he had a hard time to explain what they were.
                          What's so hard to explain about the Ori? They're ascended beings that want to destroy other ascended beings so they can take over the universe.

The whole arc really sounded to me like a pissing contest between two powerful groups that don't want to get their hands dirty and use lower species to do their dirty work. Wait, this reminds me of something...The Shadows vs The Vorlons from B5, albeit a poor rendition or it (I think I called this years ago, but I'm too lazy too look it up). Another thing springs to mind, The Prophets vs The Pah Wraiths in DS9. Or wait, The Powers That Be vs Wolf, Ram and Heart.

Anyway, I wouldn't have written the Ori and the Ascended how they did it. I've got an idea, should anyone be interested I'd be willing to write it down later on.
                          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            My problem with Hammond's remark is that there were other SG teams led by Majors or Lt. Colonels. So is SG1 the only one that MUST be led by a Colonel? Are those other teams less important, and therefore ok to be led by a Major? I felt it was a slight toward Sam's 3 years (by then) experience on the team and in the field to pass her over for team leader, even if she was a "mere" Major.
                            It's my thinking that the other SG team leaders that were Majors (only knew one Captain ) is that they had more experience with black -ops in the field, and Sam had just been promoted...she may still not have had as much experience as the others
                            My thinking too; especially since it was *SG1.* And Hammond did say something like "her service on the team is exemplary as shown by her recent promotion to major." Wasn't it just an episode or two ago that she had been promoted? I liked Daniel campaigning for Sam in command b/c he was her friend and respected her. I also liked that Sam understood why she wasn't being considered and was a bit embarrassed by Daniel's sticking up for her. Great team stuff, imho.

Comment

Cam, Vala and Felger on a single team. SG-1 wouldn't be the flagship team, it would be the screw-upteam. They'd blunder from disaster to disaster...
                              The Ori's secret weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                The Ori's secret weapon.
                                Now that would've been an interesting arc. SG-1 finding out those those three are Ori agents.
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X