S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
    I guess I just think he wants the original team back together for what could be the last hurrah. And I think it's the right decision to make.
    Yes, I remember he said he'd go to great lengths to get the original team back for this next movie, and Mitchell and Landry "to a certain extent." That was before we knew that Vala would not appear.

Originally posted by KatG View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with having Brad Wright at the helm again. Even before RDA left, Brad had stepped back from SG-1 to concentrate on SGA - then I think he stepped back from SGA once he got that going (that's a whole other story) and personally I think both shows suffered when he did take a backseat.

The fact that he's heavily involved in SGU and the third movie, are actually what makes me think that both have a good chance of entertaining me.
    I hadn't realized that about SGA, but it makes sense. Quite a few SGA fans have said the last couple of seasons weren't very good. Of course, I've really only seen season 4 because it had Sam in it. Though I can't say I loved the way she was written.
    Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    I don't think any of us can say BW didn't like the Vala character, we can just speculate by what we've seen and heard
    Yes. Although it makes me very happy that, to my knowledge, Jack has never actually had a conversation with her one-on-one. That says something right there. I'm not sure what, exactly, but I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
      I think it has a lot to do with having Brad Wright at the helm again. Even before RDA left, Brad had stepped back from SG-1 to concentrate on SGA - then I think he stepped back from SGA once he got that going (that's a whole other story) and personally I think both shows suffered when he did take a backseat.
      I can't say much about SGA here. There was much about SGA that had good bones.
      Spoiler:
      But the execution and some of the basic assumptions about authority... What happened in S9 only forced even more of a spotlight on certain decisions made on SGA.

The fact that he's heavily involved in SGU and the third movie, are actually what makes me think that both have a good chance of entertaining me.
      I'm a bit concerned about SGU. I'll *try* it, but... I don't know.

I am willing to entertain the hope I'll be entertained, so I suppose that's a start.

I expected more of Continuum than I got. It wasn't 'bad', but I have only watched it once. So I wasn't but so entertained. Too much Mitchell/Grandpa!Mitchell <<yawn>> So I'm not willing to whole-heartedly trust. Those days are over.

My current motto for Stargate is the same as the Chudley Cannons :
      http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Chudley_Cannons

"Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best".

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

I expected more of Continuum than I got. So I'm not willing to whole-heartedly trust. Those days are over.

My current motto for Stargate is the same as the Chudley Cannons :
        http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Chudley_Cannons

suse
        The problem with COntinuum, at least to me, was that it was a time-travel/AU story and, of course, those never seem to have any lasting impact. It didn't add anything to the story except
        Spoiler:
        Ba'al dying.

On the other hand, the positive thing to come out of all of that was that the franchise learned, too late perhaps, that the original formula was the one that worked. Continuum seemed to have done a lot better than AoT.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          The problem with COntinuum, at least to me, was that it was a time-travel/AU story and, of course, those never seem to have any lasting impact. It didn't add anything to the story except
          Spoiler:
          Ba'al dying.

On the other hand, the positive thing to come out of all of that was that the franchise learned, too late perhaps, that the original formula was the one that worked. Continuum seemed to have done a lot better than AoT.
          I can't help but think that had something to do with the AoT being a wrap to the not-so-missed-by-me S9/S10. It's my guess the movies will need to be stand-alone eps so have enough draw to warrant their continuation. Enough nods to keep the long-time fans happy, but not enough to annoy any new viewers. Otherwise they will deal with a quickly diminishing fan base, especially as it's taking them years to get them out onto DVD.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            I can't help but think that had something to do with the AoT being a wrap to the not-so-missed-by-me S9/S10. It's my guess the movies will need to be stand-alone eps so have enough draw to warrant their continuation. Enough nods to keep the long-time fans happy, but not enough to annoy any new viewers. Otherwise they will deal with a quickly diminishing fan base, especially as it's taking them years to get them out onto DVD.

suse
            Not to stray to far off-topic, but I'd like to know what their definition of "stand-alone" is. To think that any of these last two Stargate movies could possibly be understood by a new viewer is ridiculous, IMHO. I never understood that at all.

Comment

Not to stray to far off-topic, but I'd like to know what their definition of "stand-alone" is. To think that any of these last two Stargate movies could possibly be understood by a new viewer is ridiculous, IMHO. I never understood that at all.
              Depends, I think someone might have been able to follow/muddle thru Continuum if they know sci-fi techno-stuff. Others... wouldn't watch it anyway.

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                I always wondered how CJ felt after season 9/10 ended and his character had been even more sidelined than he had been when RDA was around. Teal'c certainly got the shortest end of the very short stick when it came to stories in those final seasons.
                I definitely agree here. I liked the Dakara politics stuff to an extent in early S9, but that storyline was pretty much dropped after Fourth Horseman. And then when SG-1 encountered the Jaffa after that, it felt like Mitchell interacted with them more than Teal'c, esp in Counterstrike. And I thought it was a shame we didn't get any follow up on Ry'ac or Ishta since Sacrifices.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                I agree that S1-8 felt more team-like. I didn't get a team feeling from anything that was shown in S9-10. It was Mitchell running around trying to do everything himself, while the others provided some sort of back-up and frequently got annoyed with him over his actions (and more often than not, Daniel was highlighted over the rest of the "team", when Mitchell wasn't). I don't see that as very team-like. But then, what do I know?
                Aside from the personnel issues like AT missing the first few episodes in season 9 and then integrating Vala in season 10, I wonder if some of the lack of team issues were an extension of the whole Stargate Command idea for S9-10. Making the show less about the team and more about individuals on the team, some obviously more than others.

sigpic

Comment

I think the problems of S9 and 10 were the result of the decision to bring in BB and CB and place them above AT, MS and CJ in terms of focus and story arcs. In the case of BB, he was also placed above them in the credits. If BB and CB were "added" to the AT/MS/CJ core it might have worked. Apparently the PTB also thought of S1-S8 SG1 as RDA and the 3 mooks. The idea that AT/MS/CJ couldn't carry the show, with support from BB and CB just boggles my mind. What a slap in the face to AT, MS and CJ and the S1-S8 fanbase. Well, at least this fan.

Mike

Comment

I hadn't realized that about SGA, but it makes sense. Quite a few SGA fans have said the last couple of seasons weren't very good. Of course, I've really only seen season 4 because it had Sam in it. Though I can't say I loved the way she was written.

Yes. Although it makes me very happy that, to my knowledge, Jack has never actually had a conversation with her one-on-one. That says something right there. I'm not sure what, exactly, but I like it.
                    I am an SGA fan and I would agree completely with this statement. The tone really changed at a certain point. I wonder if that's when they decided to get rid of Weir. I think many of us fans liked her as commander and then they suddenly got rid of her and Carson (who I liked as well). And I could never figure out why they put Sam in as commander and then never did anything with her role in that job. It's almost like they wanted to draw SG1 fans in but didn't want to anger the SGA fans (I notice many are sensitive about SG1 characters appearing in SGA).
                    sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

I did like Continuum much more than AoT, but do think it was a bit too Mitchell heavy. Why do they keep shoving that character down our throats. I understand that he's part of the team, but he should then get equal time with other team members, not more.
                      sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
                        I think the problems of S9 and 10 were the result of the decision to bring in BB and CB and place them above AT, MS and CJ in terms of focus and story arcs. In the case of BB, he was also placed above them in the credits. If BB and CB were "added" to the AT/MS/CJ core it might have worked. Apparently the PTB also thought of S1-S8 SG1 as RDA and the 3 mooks. The idea that AT/MS/CJ couldn't carry the show, with support from BB and CB just boggles my mind. What a slap in the face to AT, MS and CJ and the S1-S8 fanbase. Well, at least this fan.

Mike
                        I really agree with that part in bold, and yes, it does seem like an insult to the rest of the actors. Though I've no idea what they thought about it.

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
                        I am an SGA fan and I would agree completely with this statement. The tone really changed at a certain point. I wonder if that's when they decided to get rid of Weir. I think many of us fans liked her as commander and then they suddenly got rid of her and Carson (who I liked as well). And I could never figure out why they put Sam in as commander and then never did anything with her role in that job. It's almost like they wanted to draw SG1 fans in but didn't want to anger the SGA fans (I notice many are sensitive about SG1 characters appearing in SGA).
                        That's exactly what I felt visiting the SGA threads during Season 4. Moving Carter over and then having her melt into the background didn't really please anyone.
                        Spoiler:
                        Which is why I'm less than enthusiastic about MS, AT and RDA being cast in SGU. I don't think we SG-1 fans are going to get a lot out of that. Which doesn't necessarily have to be the case even with small parts, if they're written well, but I have a feeling they'll just be props.
                        I have never felt the SG-1 appearances on SGA were very well handled, so my expectations are rather low, I suppose.

I did like Continuum much more than AoT, but do think it was a bit too Mitchell heavy. Why do they keep shoving that character down our throats. I understand that he's part of the team, but he should then get equal time with other team members, not more.
                        I agree, and what I found to be rather odd was that they were focusing on what amounted to his back story- and here it is three years on since he was introduced. As if they were still trying to get people to know and love Cameron Mitchell! However, my feeling is that the viewer feedback they got from the movie clearly indicated its success lay in the fact that they had the original characters all together again- more or less without Vala. That's why my hopes are higher for this next movie, I guess.

Comment

Completely agree! As enjoyable as Stargate: Continuum was by harking back to the first 8 seasons and as great as it was to see Rick back as Jack and to have the far more colourful enemy of the Goa'uld back in centre stage after the bland and quite frankly boring storyline and enemy of the Ori after seasons 9 and 10 and the first DVD movie...the concentration on Mitchell was far, far too much. That did let the movie down for me. Never been a fan of Mitchell and don't think I ever will be. What about Sam and Daniel's lives in the alternated timeline? I wanted to see more of them!

And just one last issue - what a coincidence that one of Mitchell's relatives was responsible for captaining the ship that brought the Stargate from Egypt to the US. I found that hard to swallow.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I really agree with that part in bold, and yes, it does seem like an insult to the rest of the actors. Though I've no idea what they thought about it.

That's exactly what I felt visiting the SGA threads during Season 4. Moving Carter over and then having her melt into the background didn't really please anyone.
                            Spoiler:
                            Which is why I'm less than enthusiastic about MS, AT and RDA being cast in SGU. I don't think we SG-1 fans are going to get a lot out of that. Which doesn't necessarily have to be the case even with small parts, if they're written well, but I have a feeling they'll just be props.
                            I have never felt the SG-1 appearances on SGA were very well handled, so my expectations are rather low, I suppose.

I agree, and what I found to be rather odd was that they were focusing on what amounted to his back story- and here it is three years on since he was introduced. As if they were still trying to get people to know and love Cameron Mitchell! However, my feeling is that the viewer feedback they got from the movie clearly indicated its success lay in the fact that they had the original characters all together again- more or less without Vala. That's why my hopes are higher for this next movie, I guess.
                            I've read a few interviews and articles (and couldn't tell you where or when now since it's been awhile and I didn't make note of them) where it was said that TPTB really wanted AT to move over to SGA, but couldn't really do that until SG1 ended. And, even then, AT didn't want to step on anybody's toes and be made the center of attention on SGA, so she pretty much requested that she be kind of kept in the background while letting the others that had been there all along continue to be the stars of the show. Having said all that, however, I think they really kept her way too much in the background and didn't use her to their (and her) advantage.

Comment

Wow. These are kind of nasty. I'm surprised, and saddened.
                              If these are the kinds of things said in interviews, makes one wonder what's said in private.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Loosing a bit of respect I had for some of these people, actually.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I have to agree as well. I adored the first few seasons of SGA and despised the last few of SG-1. . . RDA's control was gone from SG-1 but I never connected that Brad's was gone from the last two of SG-1 to concentrate on the seasons I liked most about SGA, and then he was gone for the last few horrible seasons.

I loved Weir and Carson, and Sam would have worked well in the replacement role but it was clear, just in seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1, that they didn't know how to use the character. Which was sad, because she had SO much potential.

Continuum just won a bunch of awards, didn't it? AoT - didn't. That, coupled with it making more money than AoT despite being released later, has probably shown the powers that be what truly works.

The original team - of BOTH series, if I were to extend that comment to SGA as well.

We've all seen what's come before. What failed and what didn't when specific showrunners were involved.

I'm confident with Brad at the helm of the new SG-1 movie that it'll be good, and I'm hoping SGU keeps his interest, because if he and RDA are involved, I've got a lot of hope.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X