S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
    Sky One is PAID channel, so you can't be sure how many people decided not to continue their subscription to it this year.
    I don't know about France, but if German RTL2 (which is Free To Air from Astra 1 satellite) will be (or has already started) airing season 9 and 10 I suppose a lot people from the outside of Germany may support the ratings. I know I'm going to as I have access to this channel
    I don't think you can help Stargate at all in Germany unless you live there and have one of those boxes. Germany uses Nielsen Media Research just like US and many other countries do. I can watch those German channels here as well, but I don't count in their ratings...

Comment

Sky1 is a pay channel.
      Just like it was last year.
      And the year before.
      And the year before.
      And the year before ............

The stats follow the same trend as the US.
      They changed the show and people stopped watching, to the point it got cancelled.

If they had of excercised a little care, thought and planning then the changes could have been implemented without turning off a major portion of the viewers. Not everyone is willing to watch a good show degenerate to the level of superficial, cliche ridden, template of a mediocre scifi show that SG-1 has become.
      -

Comment

Agreed. It's funny there was never so much complain about the Nielsen system untill it started to drop big in ratings. Sky has always been pay channel, and if people that used to watch SG1 end their subscription, I guess they don't have any interest to watch anymore. It seems people only want to find exuses but can't face the facts that less people are watching the show now.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
          This is very telling information. Same pattern of decline for season 9 and also season 10 so far. I wonder how it is going in other countries such as France and Germany.
          It is very telling. I don't know how low ratings can't be a factor. It just goes to show how many people have stopped watching the show. There was a time that my cable company wanted to charge extra for some channels including Scifi. I would have paid the extra just to keep the channel so I could watch SG-1. I don’t watch Atlantis or BSG, so it would have been for SG-1 only. However, now that is not the case. We still have scifi, but I don't have to pay extra for it. There were seasons where people were willing to pay a little extra to keep their favorite show, now it doesn’t sound like that is true.

My heart goes out to the actors and those working closely with the production of SG-1 that doesn't have anything to do with the writing. THose people that are out of a job, due to poor decisions in the boss's chair. I wanted to love s9 and ended up extremely aggravated with the writing and eventually just turning the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Sky1 is a pay channel.
            Just like it was last year.
            And the year before.
            And the year before.
            And the year before ............

The stats follow the same trend as the US.
            They changed the show and people stopped watching, to the point it got cancelled.

If they had of excercised a little care, thought and planning then the changes could have been implemented without turning off a major portion of the viewers. Not everyone is willing to watch a good show degenerate to the level of superficial, cliche ridden, template of a mediocre scifi show that SG-1 has become.

Awww come on RoX, that's no fair you're using logic

You know it was the magnets, forcing people's channnel to change
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

If we're going to get all logical, then it should be noted that SG:1 has always been on a paid channel in the States. First on Showtime and then on SciFi. It has never been on a free channel for its first run - where the ratings count.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                If we're going to get all logical, then it should be noted that SG:1 has always been on a paid channel in the States. First on Showtime and then on SciFi. It has never been on a free channel for its first run - where the ratings count.
                So it looks like German RTL 2 is really great exception from this rule. Not only FREE TO AIR channel airing FIRST RUN, but also available all around Europe. But considering the fact that season 9 DVDs were already released earlier this year in Germany and RTL 2 has just started airing season 9 at the beginning of November I don't think the ratings will be great - who wants to listen to bad German dubbing when they can buy or rent DVDs and watch it listening to original actors' voices and reading German subtitles.
                T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

So it looks like German RTL 2 is really great exception from this rule. Not only FREE TO AIR channel airing FIRST RUN, but also available all around Europe. But considering the fact that season 9 DVDs were already released earlier this year in Germany and RTL 2 has just started airing season 9 at the beginning of November I don't think the ratings will be great - who wants to listen to bad German dubbing when they can buy or rent DVDs and watch it listening to original actors' voices and reading German subtitles.
                  Now remember this is only a guess, but I would say Germans that don't understand English I'm pretty sure not everyone in the country speaks fluent English
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I dont think the ratings will be that great because the show is now crp but hey, whatever gets you to sleep at night.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      Now remember this is only a guess, but I would say Germans that don't understand English I'm pretty sure not everyone in the country speaks fluent English
                      Except for the Americans who live there, and that right there will apparently be enough to bring it down.
                      sigpic

Comment

Isn't Germany still trying to live down that whole WW II image.

Comment

So, stargate S9-S10 are terrible in comparison to classic stargate.
                          The ratings are down in the US. The ratings are down in the UK. The ratings will probably be down in Germany (but we dont know that) but even if they are people still wont put the blame where it belongs ... on the show. Instead they will blame DVDs and bad dubbing? So we need to get that added to the blame calandar.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                            So, stargate S9-S10 are terrible in comparison to classic stargate.
                            The ratings are down in the US. The ratings are down in the UK. The ratings will probably be down in Germany (but we dont know that) but even if they are people still wont put the blame where it belongs ... on the show. Instead they will blame DVDs and bad dubbing? So we need to get that added to the blame calandar.
                            Nah German dubbing isn't so bad. I've turned the German audio on sometime on my DVDs, sounds funny when you know their real voices. But I much prefer German to French dubbing...those that do the dubbing sound like they are just reading through the script, no emotions or anything with the character.

But still, some will always find something to blame for the loss of viewers. Even though previous seasons never were affected by the same things they claim affects the show now in a negative way. The show has always been dubbed in some countries, is shown on pay channels and Nielsen boxes has always been there before, and so on...

Comment

Sky One is PAID channel, so you can't be sure how many people decided not to continue their subscription to it this year.
                              I don't know about France, but if German RTL2 (which is Free To Air from Astra 1 satellite) will be (or has already started) airing season 9 and 10 I suppose a lot people from the outside of Germany may support the ratings. I know I'm going to as I have access to this channel
                              To not continue a subscription to Sky One is to essentially disconnect your multichannel setup (free to air services notwithstanding - BBC/ITV etc). It comes with the basic BSkyB package the last I looked.

And I think BSkyB would happily furnish people with the statistics of its growing year on year subscriber base.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                                To not continue a subscription to Sky One is to essentially disconnect your multichannel setup (free to air services notwithstanding - BBC/ITV etc). It comes with the basic BSkyB package the last I looked.

And I think BSkyB would happily furnish people with the statistics of its growing year on year subscriber base.
                                Thanks for clearing tha up for us smurf

See, that proves it's because of the magnets
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X