S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    And I still think Claudias performance of "cheeky, fun" Vala was taken with a frat boy excitement with the departure of sensibility when RDA left as EP. OTT anyone?

Though I agree the actors were only acting what was written (and directed).

Suse

i can see this. i can see vala as the equivlant of 'mom and dad are away for the weekend, let's PARTAY!!!!'

which is too bad because she had the potential to be a deep adn emotional character, instead she's just a joke
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      i won't. i do find the charcters in atlantis severely lacking. it seems that if they can't play up teh shep/mckay Martin and Lewis act, they don't give a damn about anything else.

weir is a joke and used to faciliate shep's rogueishness whiel teyla is there to fawn all over shep and be the token 'my people know of a.....' girl (much like teal'c has been)

the show is enjoyable and fun and seems to have better writing than sg1, but the characters suck. i'm not attached to them in any way, any of them could get killed off and i wouldn't shed a tear.

and, given how tptb have treated fans recently, i'm not gonna get emotionally vested in these characters. why bother?
      I like Atlantis, but I am not emotionally invested in any of the characters.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
        Plus, I don't think it is BB/CB fans giving the episodes "9's" and "10's" every week in the Gateworld polls. Those appear to be longtime SG-1 fans.
        what they appear to be are folks with a lot of free time and worked out mouse fingers

in the past, the number of folks participating in the GW polls were relatively small, less than 5000 to just a few hundred per eps. all of a sudden , even as the ratings plummet, the number of folks participating in the polls triples, quadruples, even quintuples. heck, in a couple of weeks the s9 finale got over 2000 votes...months after it aired adn when it wasn't currently repeated. (not to mention that that eps, crusade was it? got over 22,000 votes...more than ALL the votes cast for other seasons combined - in other words, i don't think that 22,000 votes were even cast for all 22 eps of s8)

less people are watching the show, thus creating a smaller rating, yet MORE people are online pimping it on a fansite???? the logic doesn't flow

this kinda suggests to the cynic in me that there is a concentrated and deliberate effort to pump up the GW poll to use as 'proof' that the show is loved and adored.

the disparity of numbers between previous seasons and this one are just too much for the poll to be anything resembling credible (not that internet polls have ever been credible, they're much too easy to fix)

going by my experience wtih the tactics employed by the folks who are currently in the save stargate campaign(just some of them), who also ran the save daniel campaign, i personally feel that there's more than a little poll fixing going on. The tactics are eerily familiar, even years later

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
          I like Atlantis, but I am not emotionally invested in any of the characters.
          me neither. any or all of them could get killed off and my biggest concern would be 'mmhm wonder which actor from an old scifi show will get dragged otu to stunt cast this one' and curiosity over the replacements.

sigpic

Comment

me neither. any or all of them could get killed off and my biggest concern would be 'mmhm wonder which actor from an old scifi show will get dragged otu to stunt cast this one' and curiosity over the replacements.
            Not only that, but if Atlantis was terminated, I wouldn't really care. I enjoy watching it but I can really take or leave it at this point.

Even thought I don't enjoy Sg-1 as much, I was sad when it was cancelled. I thought this show had so much promise going into S9.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

i won't. i do find the charcters in atlantis severely lacking. it seems that if they can't play up teh shep/mckay Martin and Lewis act, they don't give a damn about anything else.

weir is a joke and used to faciliate shep's rogueishness whiel teyla is there to fawn all over shep and be the token 'my people know of a.....' girl (much like teal'c has been)

the show is enjoyable and fun and seems to have better writing than sg1, but the characters suck. i'm not attached to them in any way, any of them could get killed off and i wouldn't shed a tear.

and, given how tptb have treated fans recently, i'm not gonna get emotionally vested in these characters. why bother?
              I'd totally give kudos to Brad Wright as showrunner for this. He has said many times - from early on in SG-1 - that he tweaks scripts and just doesn't take credit for it. Still isn't enough to make me care about the characters though.

Suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

i can see this. i can see vala as the equivlant of 'mom and dad are away for the weekend, let's PARTAY!!!!'

which is too bad because she had the potential to be a deep adn emotional character, instead she's just a joke
                LOL I was thinking more along the lines of the first apartment. Party party party. Look what a mess we made. And Mom and Dad don't step in to help them clean it up because they are supposed to be mature enough to handle adult responsibilities on their own. So even though they manage to clean up the worst of the wreckage the stains and smell remain in the carpet and the holes in the walls are covered with inappropriate pictures. The damage is still there.

Suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                  I really wanted to take that person to task and tell her that there were plenty of times Daniel looked worried about Sam and Teal'c, as well as Jack (Solitudes, Death Knell, 48 Hours, etc.). I had problems trying to register for the site and gave up ... though I guess it would have been just as well since I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with them.
                  Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  I believe it has something to do with the density of that site, nothing gets through
                  Betcha neutrinos do.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                    Betcha neutrinos do.
                    Nintendos?

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

what they appear to be are folks with a lot of free time and worked out mouse fingers

in the past, the number of folks participating in the GW polls were relatively small, less than 5000 to just a few hundred per eps. all of a sudden , even as the ratings plummet, the number of folks participating in the polls triples, quadruples, even quintuples. heck, in a couple of weeks the s9 finale got over 2000 votes...months after it aired adn when it wasn't currently repeated. (not to mention that that eps, crusade was it? got over 22,000 votes...more than ALL the votes cast for other seasons combined - in other words, i don't think that 22,000 votes were even cast for all 22 eps of s8)

less people are watching the show, thus creating a smaller rating, yet MORE people are online pimping it on a fansite???? the logic doesn't flow

this kinda suggests to the cynic in me that there is a concentrated and deliberate effort to pump up the GW poll to use as 'proof' that the show is loved and adored.

the disparity of numbers between previous seasons and this one are just too much for the poll to be anything resembling credible (not that internet polls have ever been credible, they're much too easy to fix)

going by my experience wtih the tactics employed by the folks who are currently in the save stargate campaign(just some of them), who also ran the save daniel campaign, i personally feel that there's more than a little poll fixing going on. The tactics are eerily familiar, even years later
                      I stopped voting on the GW polls because it seemed that every ep, no matter how bad it was, voted Outstanding by a extremely large number. Even the difference between a 10 and a 9 or a 8 is by a large percentage. According to the GW polls you would think this was the best seasons ever.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                        I stopped voting on the GW polls because it seemed that every ep, no matter how bad it was, voted Outstanding by a extremely large number.
                        Yup, that's why I stopped caring awful much about voting. Crusade (Camelot? the S9 finale) was absolutely ridiculous. Of course, the more of us who think that way, the worse the skew, but... eh.

p.s. Dig your new av, Rogue.

Comment

I feel the same way - I never really got "taken" by the characters of Atlantis as I was by the original SG-1. I won't waste any emotional investment.
                          sigpic
                          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            LOL I was thinking more along the lines of the first apartment. Party party party. Look what a mess we made. And Mom and Dad don't step in to help them clean it up because they are supposed to be mature enough to handle adult responsibilities on their own. So even though they manage to clean up the worst of the wreckage the stains and smell remain in the carpet and the holes in the walls are covered with inappropriate pictures. The damage is still there.

Suse
                            And then they get evicted!
                            sigpic
                            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                              I feel the same way - I never really got "taken" by the characters of Atlantis as I was by the original SG-1. I won't waste any emotional investment.
                              It bothered me alot to think that my SG-1 was killed in ancient Egypt. Now I am suppose to believe that the timeline was fixed and my SG-1 didn't really die in Egypt because they never experienced that timeline. Blah!

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                                Betcha neutrinos do.
                                i think they mainline neutrinos over there

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X