S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
    In the scifi world Ben Browder and Claudia Black are mid range actors at best. They are no where near as well known as the actors on the various scifi movies, the Star Treks series or even Babylon 5.

CB is a slightly bigger name then Ben as she was at least in a major scifi motion picture. The only things I have seen Ben in outside of farscape are your lifetime movies or the occasional B budget scifi garbage.
    Which was my point. They are no bigger than any of the Classic Stargate
    folks. And yet...

But anyway... <sigh>. Got nothin' at the moment.

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Which was my point. They are no bigger than any of the Classic Stargate
      folks. And yet...

But anyway... <sigh>. Got nothin' at the moment.

suse
      But CN isn't a big name sci-fi actor....he's a REAL actor. (Ever watch...I know my first name is Steven?) I cried in that film.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
        But CN isn't a big name sci-fi actor....he's a REAL actor. (Ever watch...I know my first name is Steven?) I cried in that film.
        Is being a sci-fi actor akin to being a a soap actor? It's not REAL?

Granted it's a fairly small slice of people who watch sci fi.

CN has had a great deal of work outside sci-fi. Hence more exposure. Good for him. Hence the reason I didn't mention him in my previous reply.

ETA: Oops I did. Forgot to snip the CN stuff. I was meaning the other two...

suse
        Last edited by suse; 23 January 2008, 05:12 AM.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Since this is than anti-s10 (and perhaps, by extension, anti season 9)...

Am I the only one who has a problem with the use of the whole Arthurian myth?

I mean, the use of Egyptian, Norse etc mythologies made some sense because the origins of those myths are, in a sense, pre-historic. Wehre did the stories of Zeus, Ra, and Thor all come from? Since they go back into a time before written history, we will probably never know, so it's plausible that they might be long-forgotten memories of ancient extraterrestrials. (Pun unintended) Arthur, Merlin et al? Now, we have a pretty good idea of where their myth came from - some time in post-Roman Britain, there was a warrior-chief/former Roman commander probably named Arturius who fought some battles and made life in his little realm a little less bad than it was before (and then the story got blown way out of proportion.) As the Arthur/Merlin mythos does not predate Roman Britain, it originates in a historically recorded period, and you can't say that Ancient stuff happened at that time because then Bede would be sure to record it. True, Sokar did manage to kidnap those medieval Christians, but that was a small, one-time thing, and that was only one episode (as opposed to a multiseason arc.)

As for what comes next in Stargate, I really don't mind spoilers about Ark of Truth, as I don't really plan to get it, as I'm not willing to spend good money for some more "Mitchell and the Ori." I'm cautiously optimistic about Continuum, given that Jack will be in it and Brad Wright's comment that it's "old school" Stargate. But why Baal would want such a Jaffa like Teal'c to be his First Prime when he could have one who didn't try and listen to his conscience...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Yeah, Mitchell thought he was joining SG1 *under* Sam in the first ep. They never explained why Sam would come back & accept either being under or co-command with Mitchell. It made zero sense. I mean, heck, they could have just made it an order & she'd have to deal whether she was happy about it or not.
            Because then they'd have had to acknowledge her previous leadership of the team. To the best of my recollection, there was the briefest of allusions to it at the beginning of "Avalon, Part 1", and when Mitchell and Sam spoke later, he was asking her to come back and join SG-1, not lead it.

He must have a very high opinion of himself if he thought that the thrill of working under his command would tempt
            (a) Sam to give up a command post at SG-1 to retake the role she held as a captain,
            (b) Daniel to abandon his dream of going to Atlantis
            and
            (c) Teal'c to leave his work with the Jaffa Nation.

Frankly, given Sam's importance to the Stargate Program - Landry wasn't begging Jack to send her back so she could make the tea, after all - I could see her being able to get command of her own team, if not SG-1, if she made her objections about being demoted known. But then Daniel and Teal'c would have joined her team, and "SG-1" would still have consisted of PerfectHewoMitchell and three empty slots.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              the cynical part of me thinks

after the massive kerfluffle of Farscape and the deluge of 'i'll never watch your horrible station again' they took supreme enjoyment out of knowing that htose very same people were turning in to watch Crichton and Aeryn as different characters

after all, if two characters could create such effusive loyalty, they could only help SG1
              Except that only works if you don't alienate your existing fans in the process.

Is it really worth it taking an action that will gain 100,000 viewers if that same action loses 300,000?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I have two main complaints about season 10
                1. I do not like the way the Asgards met their end. It is like they failed to keep Thor's promise in small victories. Why didn't just declare all out war with the Ori.

2. They are doing it again. People/ Aliens who pose as god's to enslave all life in the galaxy.
                Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                  I have two main complaints about season 10
                  1. I do not like the way the Asgards met their end. It is like they failed to keep Thor's promise in small victories. Why didn't just declare all out war with the Ori.

2. They are doing it again. People/ Aliens who pose as god's to enslave all life in the galaxy.
                  Aye, the Asgard arc was a waste of potential and canon.

As for the "posing as gods" (note, apostrophes are never used to make plurals), I suspect it's just intellectual laziness or even business acumen. After all, they did just write several years of the same sort of idea, so it's possible to reuse some old stories or story elements.

Also, less creativity is required. I imagine the question asked in a creative meeting, if not explicitly, in a roundabout way: "How do we top the Gou'ald?" The obvious answer to the simple mind is "bigger and better, with ships and 'splosions!" A more sophisticated answer might include the Trust, political gerrymandering, and exploration. But why stick to the basic premise and heart of the show?

*Disclaimer* I'm not really a fan of the Trust or political story lines, but they are at least believable and relevant to the Stargate universe. They would require smart writing and good character study, though, which takes more effort than CGI and titillation.

Oh, and at least one reason for the "bigger, badder threat" is the rationale for "getting the band back together", since Teal'c has important things to do with the Jaffa nation, and Carter seemed to enjoy her Area 51 research job. Daniel might have actually gotten something resembling a life, and we might have seen what happened to Sarah after Osiris went AWOL. Jack could send postcards from his retirement fishing spot. Mitchell (and an intelligent Vala) could have been a new SG team (Reynolds could have SG-1), and we'd have a nice transition into an SGC series.

Yay for wasted potential, wallpapered with a veneer of "ooh, shiny!" and "did you see that outfit?"
                  Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                  http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                    Aye, the Asgard arc was a waste of potential and canon.

As for the "posing as gods" (note, apostrophes are never used to make plurals), I suspect it's just intellectual laziness or even business acumen. After all, they did just write several years of the same sort of idea, so it's possible to reuse some old stories or story elements.

Also, less creativity is required. I imagine the question asked in a creative meeting, if not explicitly, in a roundabout way: "How do we top the Gou'ald?" The obvious answer to the simple mind is "bigger and better, with ships and 'splosions!" A more sophisticated answer might include the Trust, political gerrymandering, and exploration. But why stick to the basic premise and heart of the show?

*Disclaimer* I'm not really a fan of the Trust or political story lines, but they are at least believable and relevant to the Stargate universe. They would require smart writing and good character study, though, which takes more effort than CGI and titillation.

Oh, and at least one reason for the "bigger, badder threat" is the rationale for "getting the band back together", since Teal'c has important things to do with the Jaffa nation, and Carter seemed to enjoy her Area 51 research job. Daniel might have actually gotten something resembling a life, and we might have seen what happened to Sarah after Osiris went AWOL. Jack could send postcards from his retirement fishing spot. Mitchell (and an intelligent Vala) could have been a new SG team (Reynolds could have SG-1), and we'd have a nice transition into an SGC series.

Yay for wasted potential, wallpapered with a veneer of "ooh, shiny!" and "did you see that outfit?"
                    As better as that sounds, there was no way they would let MS go and neither would they let CJ.

However, with some creative writing they could have moved Sam to SGA as Rodney's boss but under Weir.

The Asgard never died in my own reality. They staged their deaths as a test to see how humans would handle the new pressure of cool gadgets...we failed their test btw.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

The Asgard never died in my own reality. They staged their deaths as a test to see how humans would handle the new pressure of cool gadgets...we failed their test btw.
                      That would be in character. Too bad TBAB chose to forget all that had gone before...

Thor acts suicidal just to get a hug from Sam. oops, this isn't the Sam/Thor thread.

Comment

As better as that sounds, there was no way they would let MS go and neither would they let CJ.
                        True, which is why I say maybe it was simple "business acumen" that prompted the character and story contortions, rather than any sense of canon integrity.

Love the rest of your post, too.

sigpic

Comment

True, which is why I say maybe it was simple "business acumen" that prompted the character and story contortions, rather than any sense of canon integrity.

Love the rest of your post, too.
                          Simple business acumen would tell them destroyng suspension of disbelief in a SF show would be a bad thing. They could have kept everyone but made it more believable for the SG universe instead of turning it inside out.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Note I didn't say reasonable or intelligent business acumen. Simple, as in, "the 18-35 demographic is big, let's aim for the lowest common denominator and see what we can do".

sigpic

Comment

Note I didn't say reasonable or intelligent business acumen. Simple, as in, "the 18-35 demographic is big, let's aim for the lowest common denominator and see what we can do".
                              I must say LCD* describes S9. S10 was better but that's darning with faint praise

suse

*Lowest Common Denominator
                              Last edited by suse; 24 January 2008, 07:14 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I had a post in this thread... odd... Are the staff deleting posts they don't like solely because they disagree with their opinions again?

Comment

Working...
                                X