S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    of the two series...given the choice of old stargate repeat or new SGA...would take old Stargate repeat prior to 9 and 10. Never really did get into SGA before and season 3 was bad IMO...I had hopes for the series the first two new eps and was hoping that Wier would become a very interesting and complex arc....but that fizzled out like old moldy soda pop.

I think my biggest complaint about SGA is how tptb use the fan base and the actors to save their own jobs. They kind of back stab those around them and then expect a nice fat raise (I would guess) and job security for another year.

It never happened on early SG-1. When Daniel left--MS did so on his own. When Fraiser was killed the actress wouldn't be available to come back--she had another gig.

When Hammond left, DD did so on his own as well.

Jacob was written out on what was supposed to be the last season. No one was supposed to come back and Sam was supposed to go to SGA then.

MS never expressed interest in going to SGA full time...maybe for a guest spot or two. CJ would probably take a full time position if offered and he would most likely be an influence is MS were to go the series.

I really felt bad for Ben B. he was handed a raw deal, hired to fill RDA's shoes but only really hired for the Farscape fan base and not for his talent. If they really let him stretch his acting wings he could have made a great addition. Of course, that would mean placing effort into the story arc too.

I have mixed feeling for CB...she only got to be in one season, but her character was just so off the wall I didn't care for Vala at all in the series. If Vala was brought back re-occuring and remained a non trusting thief, I would have liked her better. For that matter, she became a Goa'uld I would have liked her better.

I felt like tptb really have had the Wraith find Earth. It gives new meaning to the term population control.

A wraith colony in the milky way, stalking and hunting humans would have been more interesting than the Bori anyways.

I'm just ooober relieved I can watch classic SG-1 and still like it. I only have the random "What is so hard about keeping a formula that worked for 8 years???" moment.

I liked Jonas, didn't mind Pete (much) - never thought it would last, didn't much like them killing off Janet, but at least it was done well. They just needed to carry it over to other eps a bit.

I can see why they killed off Jacob. Wish they hadn't. I'd have loved a movie that dealt with the Tok'Ra working with SG-1 and the ramifications of all the stuff that went down in later seasons.

But they went the formerhost route with Vala instead, which could have worked if they hadn't over-sexed her and made her a slaving/prostituting/(not even good)con-artist who's only recourse to questions was sexual harassment. What a winner. Not.

I won't go into Mitchell. I'd have accepted almost all of his actions if he'd not been team lead - and learned from them.

I kinda feel for both Ben and Claudia. I don't bash them because (even when at least one has said something I disagree with - vehemently)the writing isn't their fault. Indeed, most of their interviews have made me feel sympathetic to them.

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      I guess I'm a "demon" then. I figure the point of this thread is to vent here. I don't spread my "hate" elsewhere. I don't go into the threads that love S9 & 10--why would I?

I've never been a major Atlantis fan--I like it, but not the way I like SG1--so I don't get that worked up about it.
      lol...I got one of those "tell us about yourself" e-mails the other day. There was a question that stuck out in my mind.

If you were w crayon--what color would you be?

my answer: the evil one.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I guess I'm a "demon" then. I figure the point of this thread is to vent here. I don't spread my "hate" elsewhere. I don't go into the threads that love S9 & 10--why would I?

I've never been a major Atlantis fan--I like it, but not the way I like SG1--so I don't get that worked up about it.
        There is a rather silly series of books by Robert Asprin called the Myth Series. The first several were funny with the rest rather hit or miss. Anyway, there were 'demon's in the books. They were dimension travelers. Because, you see, there weren't different worlds, but different dimensions.

Skeeve, the protagonist, was from Klah. He was a Klahd. And it gets sillier from there.

So, see? Being a demon can be a 'not bad' thing.

I do sometimes go into open discussion threads and give my opinions. Why not? Open discussion doesn't mean 'open only if you have something good to say'. At the same time I *try* to leave the more touchy terms for characters - Vaniel, Cambo, Chia-Teal'c <<--Sorry, couldn't resist - out of it. Perhaps then they might be more open to conversation. Of course then they read my sig and that ends that.... <<<SHRUG>>

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I've heard a lot of opinions and criticisms of the series lately, mostly on boards that are discussing the upcoming MMO. After reexamining the progression of the series, I really can't blame Sci Fi for cutting them off. Not budget-wise, not cast-wise, not even ratings-wise. The direction the series took was destroying the stargate universe that we all knew and loved.

For all intents and purposes I consider SG-1 ending after 8x18 - Threads. Moebius was just a quickly thrown together OVA to explain where Earth got a ZPM for the plotline in Atlantis. Season 9 and 10 shat all over the established canon and ruined all of the potential for the different races, their origins, and future interactions in the Milky Way.

Erase Season 9 and 10 (and even AoT) from your minds. The Asgard are still alive and well redeveloping their civilization. The Ancients are actually the first evolution of humanity, rather than religious refugees afraid of their own shadow and fleeing from another galaxy. The Ori don't exist, there's no ascended being conspiracy, no mysterious drawn power from worshipers. The Lucien alliance isn't more incompetent and petty than gangs from metropolitan suburbs.

Fill in the blanks with Mitchell and Vala being in the SGC, and the Asgard are helping us with technology. That's all we know after Season 8, move on to Atlantis...

Comment

works for me

jack is in the shower and seasons 9 adn 10 never happened
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Maybe season 9 and 10 was Oma showing Daniel how much of an a$$ he can be if left to his own device.

OR

Season 9 and 10 was actually Sam's nightmare after she was offered the job in area 51...she suddenly wakes up and refuses to take it.

However, I still like my theory that Anubis had descended as Daniel and is now making a mockery of the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                Season 9 and 10 was actually Sam's nightmare after she was offered the job in area 51...she suddenly wakes up and refuses to take it.
                I like that scenario. S 9& 10 was truly a nightmare for Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  works for me

LOL!

I'm thinking that it's all Felger's fault. He futzed with those chairs from Gamekeeper and Avatar and Cam is really himself!
                  sigpic

Comment

works for me

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      works for me

I remember reading somewhere that Brad Wright says Continum ends up changing the timeline for good. I'm praying that means erasing seasons 9 and 10. Then we can have movies with the Original 4 in.

Sighs wistfully

Comment

Originally posted by Coley View Post
                        I remember reading somewhere that Brad Wright says Continum ends up changing the timeline for good. I'm praying that means erasing seasons 9 and 10. Then we can have movies with the Original 4 in.

Sighs wistfully
                        don't tease us!

we're uneducated lemmings, augh!

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven View Post
                          LOL!

I'm thinking that it's all Felger's fault. He futzed with those chairs from Gamekeeper and Avatar and Cam is really himself!
                          That is truly a scary thought.

*shudders*

Not that I'm complaining about you, since that would explain a few things, and is an interesting thought. I just fear Felger flavored fantasies.
                          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

as interesting as that would be, how woud they explain atlantis? and how would they explain the sg crew coming to the city?

sigpic

Comment

Hello. That's my rant. Agree or not but has Stargate become more and more repreatitive after Season 6 ? OK I agree I haven't watched beyond Season 7 and premier of Season 8. But it certainly seems so to me. Beyond that after S6 most of the ideas seems ripped from other sc-fi shows. I have a huge sci-fi collection and while reading everything about Stargate S9-S10 plus movies I got the impression that nearly all the plot ideas were used to death in other sci-fi fantasy productions..( some episodes seemed direct rip offs from either Star Trek DS9 or Farscape ) And after a while episodes began copying older Stargate episodes
                              Last edited by desert fox; 18 January 2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Well, a lot of the ideas are pretty common to SciFi in general. On the other hand, I think we may have seen fewer of the "inspired by something else but then given the creative Stargate twist" than we did previously. Of course S9 & 10 weren't really Stargate...

I do think there should be a moratorium on time travel & alternate reality episodes. I think 2 per run would be quite sufficient. DS9 went crazy with the alternate universe stuff imho.

A "good old days" comment: With being home today I've been able to watch much of the SG1 marathon on SciFi. I couldn't help but make comparisons to the "new" show. In "Orpheus" Teal'c gets captured & Sam remains concealed rather than charging in and attempting a rescue while he's being whipped. She's dying to do something, but O'Neill orders her to stay put and she obeys and probably realizes that charging in won't really work. It's painful to let Teal'c suffer, but it must be done until a new plan that *will work* can be devised.

Now put Cambo in there either in JAck's or Sam's place. HE'd go charging in without thinking it through and probably risk the whole operation.

Comment

Working...
                                X