No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in other words, he has skill with making cliched space adventures that will likely be popular in the same way of the lifetime movie

he just needs to do it with original characters and not muck up existing characters that folks happen to care for
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well, I watched AoT last night and it really did meet up to my expectations of it...which was very low.

Spoiler:
      It was an OK movie for one viewing, and I have certainly not changed my mind of not buying it on DVD. Cam is again the "hero" of the movie with Daniel on his quest and Vala as sidekick, the rest was left as wallpaper again. Neither Sam or Teal'c had anything really interesting to do in the movie.

One pleasing aspect however was that Vala has been serioulsy toned done for the most part, I could actually stand her character some more in S10 and she was certainly better in this movie. The typical Vaniel was almost non-existant. I kind of liked seeing the Replicators again. But then again, the Ori as a enemy never was interesting me. I did not, however, like this Replicator/human thing that they did with that IOA guy. In the end I got a little feeling they tried to do some sort of Terminator thing, when he was defeated and it became a human-shell of a replicator walking around (or whatever I should call it).

The movie is OK for one time viewing. But it is way to predictable and the wrapping up of the Ori story goes way to fast really, so it becomes really crappy in the end IMHO. It was too easy, like it has been in later seasons, to stop the enemy and in this case putting an end to the them. The special effects wasn't entierly complete, I noticed that a couple of times at least. But I wonder if everything put in was polished up in this version? I'm thinking about the mountain exploading, it looked horrible. And then the Adria/Morgan (Oma/Anubis ) showdown, 2 blobs flying around, looked a bit silly. I thought they were gonna have a decent budget for this but it looked no better, if not at times worse, than the show. 2/5 from me...hoping Continuum is better and worth a buy.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
        Well, I watched AoT last night and it really did meet up to my expectations of it...which was very low.

Spoiler:
        It was an OK movie for one viewing, and I have certainly not changed my mind of not buying it on DVD. Cam is again the "hero" of the movie with Daniel on his quest and Vala as sidekick, the rest was left as wallpaper again. Neither Sam or Teal'c had anything really interesting to do in the movie.

One pleasing aspect however was that Vala has been serioulsy toned done for the most part, I could actually stand her character some more in S10 and she was certainly better in this movie. The typical Vaniel was almost non-existant. I kind of liked seeing the Replicators again. But then again, the Ori as a enemy never was interesting me. I did not, however, like this Replicator/human thing that they did with that IOA guy. In the end I got a little feeling they tried to do some sort of Terminator thing, when he was defeated and it became a human-shell of a replicator walking around (or whatever I should call it).

The movie is OK for one time viewing. But it is way to predictable and the wrapping up of the Ori story goes way to fast really, so it becomes really crappy in the end IMHO. It was too easy, like it has been in later seasons, to stop the enemy and in this case putting an end to the them. The special effects wasn't entierly complete, I noticed that a couple of times at least. But I wonder if everything put in was polished up in this version? I'm thinking about the mountain exploading, it looked horrible. And then the Adria/Morgan (Oma/Anubis ) showdown, 2 blobs flying around, looked a bit silly. I thought they were gonna have a decent budget for this but it looked no better, if not at times worse, than the show. 2/5 from me...hoping Continuum is better and worth a buy.
        OMG, AoT actually sounds worse than what I imagined. not going to waste me time on that one.

Continuum will be better hopefully.

The franchise maybe profitable but far from having the high standard it used to have. Yep, Stargate sounds pretty much like an old horse that really needs to be put out of it's misery.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Sounds like an undead zombie to me. Its the same basic shell but rotted and disgusting and everything that made it what it was is gone. Just a hollow empty rotting shell.

Too dramatic?

Seriously, was the stargate even in the stargate movie? Inquiring minds (who dont actually want to be subjected to the movie) want to know.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

If I were going to buy it, but after hearing the comments given, I'd more than likely wouldn't. But I wasn't planning on buying anyway.

I'm more suprised that apon learning this, that the MGM hadn't asked for a C&D order. Youtube anyone?

Comment

Spoiler:

Guess which film has just made my "avoid like the plague" list?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                Seriously, was the stargate even in the stargate movie? Inquiring minds (who dont actually want to be subjected to the movie) want to know.
                Spoiler:
                Well I can't really recall all the scenes right now. But it was seen yes, a few times in the background and I think they used it once when a Prior came through and then in the end, which reminded me some of the last scene of Unending...but it was never turned on, just started dialing I belive. And they used the supergate! But that was pretty much all there was of a Stargate. They spend most of the time on the ship. Sam and Mitchell mostly, while Daniel, Teal'c (gets injured and on his own for some time), Vala and Tomin searching for the ark. So yeah, it reminded me much of "Unending", not much Stargate but more Starship.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                  If I were going to buy it, but after hearing the comments given, I'd more than likely wouldn't. But I wasn't planning on buying anyway.

I'm more suprised that apon learning this, that the MGM hadn't asked for a C&D order. Youtube anyone?
                  If more people see it before release, TPTB have a scapegoat if there are poor sales for the DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                    Guess which film has just made my "avoid like the plague" list?
                    I will put it like this. Anyone who liked S9/10 will most likely love this. But if you don't like those seasons, it's not worth the 90min (or so). It is somewhat better than those seasons, but I feel much of the problems are still there. Biggest of them all is "Hero Cam" which has a long dragged out scene with
                    Spoiler:
                    the IOA guy that has been, uh, taken over...by parts of replicators. A long fight scene between them.

Comment

I will put it like this. Anyone who liked S9/10 will most likely love this. But if you don't like those seasons, it's not worth the 90min (or so). It is somewhat better than those seasons, but I feel much of the problems are still there. Biggest of them all is "Hero Cam" which has a long dragged out scene with
                      Spoiler:
                      the IOA guy that has been, uh, taken over...by parts of replicators. A long fight scene between them.

I agree, if you liked S9 and S10, you will like AoT. For me, S9 and S10 were the best. AoT is a great movie (for some people), but it's not perfect. There are many things that make absolutely no sense( many unanswered questions. Maybe I had to high expectations whne I read an interview with RCC here on GW). RCC decided to split up the movie into two parts. I think it's a really bad idea. I wanted to see a whole band together, to see interactions between all members of SG-1
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                        RCC decided to split up the movie into two parts. I think it's a really bad idea. I wanted to see a whole band together, to see interactions between all members of SG-1
                        On the other hand, his idea of "team" lately is to have them all in the same room but have it be Vaniel with Teal'c and Sam as acolytes.

it's depressing, because he actually wrote good Sam episodes in the past.

Comment

Dear Lord - it sounds like AoT has fewer redeeming qualities than I originally thought it woudl now that people have actually seen it and are giving out real info on it, even people who liked 9-10 are saying it isn't much worth it and thus far what I have read in various threads and on different sites the word "disappointing" is used far more than any other word. I cannot even recall too many posts and reviews that use the word exciting or thrilling - it seems to fall flat with many who have the access to it already. Cooper's vision continues to throw the franchise backwards it seems. I dearly hope Continuum is better received as this could spell the end of the franchise - hard to believe that 2 seasons of cooper's "vision" and a lousy film that took what sounds like 2 episodes and threw them together into a 90 minute movie with ships and "kool" CGI could wreck 8 solid years of what once was a an intelligent sci-fi show with a unique premise (the Stargate). I hope Brad can fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                            Dear Lord - it sounds like AoT has fewer redeeming qualities than I originally thought it woudl now that people have actually seen it and are giving out real info on it, even people who liked 9-10 are saying it isn't much worth it and thus far what I have read in various threads and on different sites the word "disappointing" is used far more than any other word. I cannot even recall too many posts and reviews that use the word exciting or thrilling - it seems to fall flat with many who have the access to it already. Cooper's vision continues to throw the franchise backwards it seems. I dearly hope Continuum is better received as this could spell the end of the franchise - hard to believe that 2 seasons of cooper's "vision" and a lousy film that took what sounds like 2 episodes and threw them together into a 90 minute movie with ships and "kool" CGI could wreck 8 solid years of what once was a an intelligent sci-fi show with a unique premise (the Stargate). I hope Brad can fix this.
                            Looks like when Brad moved over to do Atlantis he took the 'brains' of the operation with him
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              On the other hand, his idea of "team" lately is to have them all in the same room but have it be Vaniel with Teal'c and Sam as acolytes.

it's depressing, because he actually wrote good Sam episodes in the past.
                              But would that have been during his time as a writer or as show runner?

With writers, the show runner has ultimate responsibility and can weed out anything that shouldn't be there and make suggestions for improvement. A show runner doesn't have someone exercising the same quality control over his or her own work.

Comment

I received a message informing me that this thread is poisonous and I shouldn't fore go the movie because you all are poising me!

Shame on all of you negative people who can't form an opinion of your own...ROFLMAO.

You bad, bad influential people. What have you done to me?

I have been brainwashed, buckwashed, backwashed and seduced into thinking that I could actually make an informed decision based a review!

No longer will I read the movie review section of my local paper, no more shall I take the advice of a friend who the same taste as me. I must go out and spend money--I do not have--on every single stinking movie to be able to say, "I have actually seen the piece of crap and it's crap!"

And when I tell someone to save their money to see something better, I will make sure I inform them that my opinion is poisonous and they shouldn't take any advice.

Have a nice day.
                                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X