S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    I have a rather provacative question to ask this thread-so i am putting in spoiler space only because anybody who is not really interested would not be subject to the cynical ramblings of this Sagittarian.
    Spoiler:
    if in the Shroud Jack and Sam act like they don't know each other or aren't in the any scenes together and that Jack, as my cynical little mind is rambling on about, ascends and cannot un-ascend-how many of us will actually continue to watch, download or care? It can be any combination of the 3 thoughts, but I was really wondering fan reaction-especially considering the US won't get these episodes until April, what it will do to the ratings.
    okay-done!
    Spoiler:
    Well for one thing, the shippers would revolt I'm not sure they would do this with Jack, since they are trying to get him for the movie

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Oh goody - someone else with paranoid thoughts

I must admit that those things had crossed my mind. Now if any of those were to happen, then because I'm an Aussie and watching doesn't count for me I would :
    1. Not buy the S10 DVD's (if the back half continues to improve then I was considering purchasing them) I already refuse to buy the S9 ones and contaminate my S1 to 8 collections
    2. Not buy the movies
    3. Actively bad mouth the franchise to anyone that will listen

and I know I'm not the only one who would do it. I suppose the big question is how much bad publicity and drop in revenue can they safely absorb??
    Being from Canada, my watching doesn't count either, but I think I would do the same things or is that not do the same things

They are depending on the movies for keeping their franchise going, so I hope they would not do that.

As for the possible Vaniel scene:

Spoiler:
    It is more than likely it will only be Vala in the infirmary scene, in LITS it was only Cam visiting Sam. I don't think the writers can write more than 2 members of SG1 in the same scene
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      Spoiler:
      Well for one thing, the shippers would revolt I'm not sure they would do this with Jack, since they are trying to get him for the movie

As for the possible Vaniel scene

Spoiler:
      It is more than likely it will only be Vala in the infirmary scene
      It might be Jack.

Comment

Oh goody - someone else with paranoid thoughts

I must admit that those things had crossed my mind. Now if any of those were to happen, then because I'm an Aussie and watching doesn't count for me I would :
        1. Not buy the S10 DVD's (if the back half continues to improve then I was considering purchasing them) I already refuse to buy the S9 ones and contaminate my S1 to 8 collections
        2. Not buy the movies
        3. Actively bad mouth the franchise to anyone that will listen

and I know I'm not the only one who would do it. I suppose the big question is how much bad publicity and drop in revenue can they safely absorb??
        100% agreement about the S9 DVDs.
        I already badmouth the last two seasons. Though I do give crefit if I think the ep is watchable.
        I have no plans to buy Ark of Truth. the second? I will unless they honk me off.

I'd imagine they can't absorb much more negative press. Oy.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Publicity is still publicity whether it be good or bad. Bad mouthing the franchise by telling your friends how bad it is still gives them publicity.

I honestly don't have many friends that are into stargate. Hubby loves all sci-fi so he doesn't really count.

The only time I discussed the series is with my beta so she understands what she is reading. She doen't like anything sci-fi for the most part. Even if I don't like the character or if I don't like what is going on in the show I still just tell her about the show because I DON"T want to "bad mouth" it. Someone else may enjoy it.

There are many aspects of this show I would have done differntly if I was running the show. Any issues I see I will bring up. But I won't "bad mouth" the show to any of my friends. I have too much respect for the writers and the show's cast and crew to do that.

Critizing and "badmouthing" are two different things. Let's not badmouth!

As far as the shroud goes--I am holding judgment till I see it.

On one addional note: I haven't see SGA's sunday yet.
          Spoiler:
          However, they could be more creative in figuring out a way for Carson to die. An exploding tumor? It wasn't even in his own body! That's just stupid!
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            Publicity is still publicity whether it be good or bad. Bad mouthing the franchise by telling your friends how bad it is still gives them publicity.

I honestly don't have many friends that are into stargate. Hubby loves all sci-fi so he doesn't really count.

The only time I discussed the series is with my beta so she understands what she is reading. She doen't like anything sci-fi for the most part. Even if I don't like the character or if I don't like what is going on in the show I still just tell her about the show because I DON"T want to "bad mouth" it. Someone else may enjoy it.

There are many aspects of this show I would have done differntly if I was running the show. Any issues I see I will bring up. But I won't "bad mouth" the show to any of my friends. I have too much respect for the writers and the show's cast and crew to do that.

As far as the shroud goes--I am holding judgment till I see it.

On one addional note: I haven't see SGA's sunday yet.
            Spoiler:
            However, they could be more creative in figuring out a way for Carson to die. An exploding tumor? It wasn't even in his own body! That's just stupid!

Actually we (as in my locality) use bad mouth and criticise interchangeably in colloquial language especially when discussing shows amongst friends. I will happily substitute criticise in the future though.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              100% agreement about the S9 DVDs.
              I already badmouth the last two seasons. Though I do give crefit if I think the ep is watchable.
              I have no plans to buy Ark of Truth. the second? I will unless they honk me off.

I'd imagine they can't absorb much more negative press. Oy.

suse
              Already honked off royally!
              I always qualify my love of Stargate (1 to 8 only, thank you very much)
              And while hope springs eternal, almost as much as Daniel rises from the dead, I don't think a sarcophagus will do the trick.
              I see they are advertising for the rest of season 10 with long commercials but baby that's in April. It's a life time away!! They may have cooked their own goose (cliche packed post!!) and by the time April rolls around either spoilers or youtube or assorted other means will have stolen their thunder (softer sounds may be substituted).
              Bad character development
              Bad plots
              Bad (pathetic) villians
              Bad writing
              Bad scheduling (some say 10 part deux may save the day)
              Bad mouth (I'm so ashamed)
              Bah Humbug!
              sigpic
              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

If I choose to "bad-mouth" (read: harsh critisicm) that's totally my perogative. I do try to balance it with some good stuff, but that good stuff is usually from earlier seasons. And I usually focus on the writing/producing/likely Skiffy intervention that has broken my trust. I only bad-mouth the actors when they say something totally stupid in interviews. Or their performance stank. (Rare indeed for the regulars. A bit more often with the guest cast. )

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  If I choose to "bad-mouth" (read: harsh critisicm) that's totally my perogative. I do try to balance it with some good stuff, but that good stuff is usually from earlier seasons. And I usually focus on the writing/producing/likely Skiffy intervention that has broken my trust. I only bad-mouth the actors when they say something totally stupid in interviews. Or their performance stank. (Rare indeed for the regulars. A bit more often with the guest cast. )

suse

Bad mouth is a general term with no "actual" definition. For most people it doesn't mean "harsh critisim". It means to bash unfairly. To "slander" someone-- not to criticize. When you use the term bad mouth it means you slandr people. There is no balance with slander. Slander is to make false and spiteful statements. You don't slander the actors or writers do you?

I'm sorry if I mis-interpeted your post. My point was not to bad mouth becuase it's not the same as critizing. It's slander to MOST people. Especially in the USA.

You don't want people to slander you, do you? Do one to others as you would want done to you. You never know. Someday your name might be in lights and you wouldn't want people who never meet you going around "bad mouthing" you.

Granted--if you choose to bad mouth people with your friends then you can. Just be aware that it will come back to you.

Again, sorry if I mis understood you. Bad mouthing to most is slang for slander.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Bad mouth is a general term with no "actual" definition. For most people it doesn't mean "harsh critisim". It means to bash unfairly. To "slander" someone-- not to criticize. When you use the term bad mouth it means you slandr people. There is no balance with slander. Slander is to make false and spiteful statements. You don't slander the actors or writers do you?

I'm sorry if I mis-interpeted your post. My point was not to bad mouth becuase it's not the same as critizing. It's slander to MOST people. Especially in the USA.

You don't want people to slander you, do you? Do one to others as you would want done to you. You never know. Someday your name might be in lights and you wouldn't want people who never meet you going around "bad mouthing" you.

Granted--if you choose to bad mouth people with your friends then you can. Just be aware that it will come back to you.

Again, sorry if I mis understood you. Bad mouthing to most is slang for slander.
                    I don't really see bad mouthing as necessarily being slander. I see it as critcism that isn't necessarily fair. And then of course if it's something in writing, that makes it libel.

Comment

Hi, just a friendly point. I understand that you objected to a particular word which is fair enough but please understand that most people use colloquial english in different ways depending on their locality / country and this forum covers the whole world. Please take it a little easy when there is contention over the use of a word that you yourself admits has no actual definition.

Also please note that more people live outside the borders of the USA than within them and your interpretation may not actually be what "most people" interpret the word to mean.

Now I wll expand my point on bad mouthing so you can see how I meant it.
                      I would tell anyone who asked me what I thought about Stargate in excrutiating detail of how in my opinion they took a decent light sci fi series and destroyed it. I would start with my analysis of the capabilities of the showrunner and give pertinent examples of failure, and go through the creative staff and give the same info. Actors wouldn't get a mention because I do not consider them at all at fault.

Now normally I would just say I like it or didn't like it if I was asked by anyone other than my close circle of friends and to me the more in depth analysis (believe me it would be in depth) is bad mouthing because I am openly, harshly and in great depth criticising someone's creative endeavour. Please note that this is neither slander nor libel in my country.

Now I just used a lot of words and space to clarify one phrase and what you said it meant and what I really meant seem to be quite different. So perhaps a little more tolerance is needed. Like I said before, I'm quite happy to change a word if someone else finds it offensive however I also expect the same tolerance to come back the other way
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                        I have a rather provacative question to ask this thread-so i am putting in spoiler space only because anybody who is not really interested would not be subject to the cynical ramblings of this Sagittarian.
                        Spoiler:
                        if in the Shroud Jack and Sam act like they don't know each other or aren't in the any scenes together and that Jack, as my cynical little mind is rambling on about, ascends and cannot un-ascend-how many of us will actually continue to watch, download or care? It can be any combination of the 3 thoughts, but I was really wondering fan reaction-especially considering the US won't get these episodes until April, what it will do to the ratings.
                        okay-done!
                        On both counts I will stop watching. In my mind if I don't see it, it didn't happen.

But I have already sworn not to buy S9. S10 depends on the last half. If what you stated happens, it will be a no to S10 and more than likely the movies. As a shipper I am tired of them advertising Sam and Jack then pulling the rug out from under me.

As I have stated before, the only explaination I have for S9 and S10 is that what we are seeing is alternate timeline/universe. Because no way in my SG-1 universe would:
                        - Jack go to DC to set behind a desk and leave his friends behind
                        - Sam would give up her command of SG-1
                        - Put a unexperienced person in charge of SG-1
                        - Allow a con-artist and thief to join SG-1 and have freedom around the base
                        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                          On both counts I will stop watching. In my mind if I don't see it, it didn't happen.

But I have already sworn not to buy S9. S10 depends on the last half. If what you stated happens, it will be a no to S10 and more than likely the movies. As a shipper I am tired of them advertising Sam and Jack then pulling the rug out from under me.

As I have stated before, the only explaination I have for S9 and S10 is that what we are seeing is alternate timeline/universe. Because no way in my SG-1 universe would:
                          Even if Hammond had to retire for health related reasons or something and Jack needed to take over for him in Homeworld Security, I don't see Sam giving up command of SG-1 or offworld travel.

Putting an inexperienced person in charge of any SG team, let alone the flagship team when you don't have to is hardly the wisest course of action under any circumstances. Putting an inexperienced person in charge of an SG team without proper training and preparation, including missions under the supervision of another SG team leader, is irresponsible. Had Mitchell been leading a team of green recruits, it would have ended in tragedy very quickly.

Even if, hypothetically speaking, Sam wanted to go to Area 51, she should still have been asked to stay around at least a few weeks longer. She, or another SG team leader if she couldn't be there, should have helped choose the new SG-1 and taken them out on at least several missions to quietly evaluate Mitchell as a potential SG team leader before any decision was made over whether he would be offered command.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Absofreaking lootly but I cant green you.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Hi, just a friendly point. I understand that you objected to a particular word which is fair enough but please understand that most people use colloquial english in different ways depending on their locality / country and this forum covers the whole world. Please take it a little easy when there is contention over the use of a word that you yourself admits has no actual definition.

Also please note that more people live outside the borders of the USA than within them and your interpretation may not actually be what "most people" interpret the word to mean.

Now I wll expand my point on bad mouthing so you can see how I meant it.
                              I would tell anyone who asked me what I thought about Stargate in excrutiating detail of how in my opinion they took a decent light sci fi series and destroyed it. I would start with my analysis of the capabilities of the showrunner and give pertinent examples of failure, and go through the creative staff and give the same info. Actors wouldn't get a mention because I do not consider them at all at fault.

Now normally I would just say I like it or didn't like it if I was asked by anyone other than my close circle of friends and to me the more in depth analysis (believe me it would be in depth) is bad mouthing because I am openly, harshly and in great depth criticising someone's creative endeavour. Please note that this is neither slander nor libel in my country.

Now I just used a lot of words and space to clarify one phrase and what you said it meant and what I really meant seem to be quite different. So perhaps a little more tolerance is needed. Like I said before, I'm quite happy to change a word if someone else finds it offensive however I also expect the same tolerance to come back the other way
                              About other TV shows I say I like or I don’t like and I take into account if the other person liked it because I don’t want to hurt their feelings because their opinion is different then mine.

However, about Stargate I am absolutely and completely (brutally?) honest in my opinion if someone asks it. I will extol the virtues of S1-S8 and love on the show and then make very clear my absolute disgust with S9-S10. There will be no doubt in the minds of anyone who asks me (or anyone nearby) what my opinion on the show is. Call it criticism, call it bad mouthing, call it whatever you like they ruined one of my most favorite shows for no freaking reason and I am P….less then happy about it.

Of course I do always throw on the “maybe you will like it, everyone has their taste. BUT I DON’T GET WHY THEY RUINED A GREAT THING……but maybe you will like it”.

So now I must ROFLMAO…because its too frustrating to do anything else.

and the last three people I tried to green I couldnt....beh!!
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Amen sister!
                                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X