S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albion
    Oh, how I remember that. I kept my SG1 tapes in three tin boxes on a shelf next to the TV and even though I wouldn't give up the boxed sets for anything, now and then I still miss having to rummage through a mass of tapes, checking faded labels to get the episode I want to watch. <nostalgic sigh> It was a real wrench to toss them into the trash. Felt like sacrilege. <g>

Albion
    I felt like that guy in LOTR "My precious"
    sigpic
    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
      I felt like that guy in LOTR "My precious"
      Sméagol/Gollum I love that character (Is it me, or is it possible TPTB has the One Ring? The ring that over time corrupts its user..It would explain the last seasons.)

As for S10/E200, I can only hope it won't get as bad as I think it's going to be....
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
        So, 1.4 for Uninvited. Looks like 1.4 is shaping up to be the ratings average for this season. Not looking good for renewal.

I think we should start taking bets on the 200th. I'm not seeing much beyond 1.7 myself.
        How did Atlantis do in comparison?

So far the season is averaging a 1.44 - just over 0.4 points below Season Nine's average, which was 0.22 points below Season Eight's, and that's without taking the fall in rating point's values this season into account.

I don't know how well "200" will do. It seems to be getting a lot of publicity, with emphasis on RDA's return but what's showing in the ads may not be everybody's cup of tea. As near as I can tell, it's to be the cast of Stargate: SG-1 spoofing lots of other shows and movies.

Really the better the RDA episodes do, the worse it is for the future of the show. If the execs think that only RDA can bring in decent ratings and he doesn't want to come back fulltime, they may decide to cut their losses.
        Last edited by ReganX; 15 August 2006, 03:41 PM.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally Posted by ReganX
          How did Atlantis do in comparison?

Atlantis was a 1.6, I believe.

Comment

I would not be surprised if the ratings were good for the 200th episode with RDA returning.It may be too late to make a difference.If the ratings are very good it may make TPTB and some of the Actors uncomfortable.They may have to answer questions as to why the ratings are only good for an RDA episode.

Comment

It’s funny. At the beginning of the season they had a 1.4 and I thought that was unbelievably bad and inconceivable. Now I see the 1.4 and it was better then I expected and I am not expecting the show to get cancelled anymore. Maybe some fans denial is rubbing off on me, maybe I expect TPTB to have as low expectations as I have, maybe scifi does. Who knows? I think if it maintains a 1.4 it could be renewed.... but like I said at the moment I am in feeling like that was better then expected rating. Weird.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I feel the exact same way.I was expecting a 1.2.A 1.4 is still lousy and not worth bragging about.I still would be very surprised if their was a Season 11.I just hope we will still get an SG-1 Movie or Movies.If their is a Season 11 I hope their are major changes but I doubt it.I do think their will be more appearances in Season 11 from RDA.Especailly if the ratings for 200 are good.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                  As near as I can tell, it's to be the cast of Stargate: SG-1 spoofing lots of other shows and movies.
                  I noticed that the other day. It's a bit of a concern for me to be honest. At least with Wormhole X-Treme it was spoofing itself. With the 200th episode it doesn't seem very much about Stargate: SG-1, just a load of spoofs of other shows.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                    I noticed that the other day. It's a bit of a concern for me to be honest. At least with Wormhole X-Treme it was spoofing itself. With the 200th episode it doesn't seem very much about Stargate: SG-1, just a load of spoofs of other shows.
                    Well
                    Spoiler:
                    since SG-1 TPTB spend so much time ripping off those other shows, maybe they got confused and thought they were spoofing SG-1

Above was a spoiler for ep '200'. Question: Can something that is already rotting be spoiled?
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

spoofing other shows and spoofing US

time will tell if their 'love letter' is all p retty roses, or a 'Dear John' with pretty stationary
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                        I feel the exact same way.I was expecting a 1.2.A 1.4 is still lousy and not worth bragging about.I still would be very surprised if their was a Season 11.I just hope we will still get an SG-1 Movie or Movies.If their is a Season 11 I hope their are major changes but I doubt it.I do think their will be more appearances in Season 11 from RDA.Especailly if the ratings for 200 are good.
                        I'd say the ratings could have an impact on any future movies or mini-series, both in terms of whether or not they will happen at all and which characters will play a part in it.

Season Eight had a regular cast of four; Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel. It averaged ratings of 2.24 points for the first five episodes, 2.065 overall.

Season Ten has a regular cast of six; Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Mitchell, Vala and Landry. The ratings for its first five episodes have averaged at 1.44 points.

They may decide that too big a cast is unworkable, they may decide to stick to the original team, they may decide not to bother with a movie or mini-series at all. Who knows?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I'll never understand why TPTB want to do these spoof episodes like the 100th and now the 200th episodes.Their is extra attention on these episodes and you figure TPTB would want to blow people away with a great serious episode like Lost City.RDA is coming back for the 200th.Why waste his appearance on a spoof? TPTB have done their fair share of silly episodes like The Other Guys and Citizen Joe.

Comment

I'm trying to take a stab at what the ratings will be for 200. I highly doubt it will be higher than 1.8, if that. It all depends on how effective the advertising is and how interested viewers are in watching Jack and/or nonstop spoofing.

Worst-case scenario: 200 ratings stay at 1.4 or drop. That would be a real kick in the pants for SciFi and TPTB. I wouldn't be that shocked though, I get the feeling that viewers that have left both SG1 and SGA have left them for good.

Comment

i'm not seeing too much beyond 1.6

honestly, with all the 'sneak peeks' they've pretty much blown all the spoofs anyway. We all knwo the schticks, we have an idea the plot and we know it'll be a silly one shot

there's no 'mystery' attached to it. Nothing enticing for the general viewer, just mocking of the fans iwth their 'love letter' and self indulgent silliness

Also i have yet to see ANY ads beyond what's on the scifi channel as opposed to eureka and bsg ads which i see on other stations

All thier sneak peeks are doing is basically airing the show before it airs,thus removing most of the anticipation since they're giving it all away now

Humor is a very, very dangerous thing and very subjective. i fear by indulging the humor aspect they're risking turning off more fans than they turn on
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Good point about the Humor Skydiver.I think TPTB idea for Humor the last couple of years is one of the downfalls of the Show.I would be surprised if the 200 only did a 1.4 or 1.6.I can see the ratings being good for 200 and then right back down for the next episode.I wonder if long time fans who are no longer watching may want to make a statement by watching for RDA.

Comment

Working...
                                X