S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i'm saying that stunt casting is a sure sign that folks are struggling.

it's when the promotion is 'so and so actor, star of.......' instead of 'hey, we have this great character, oh and by the way, if she looks familiar the actor used to play......'

what they're doing now is stunt casting. bring in ben and claudia and beau. then lou gosset junior and william b davis and several other genre 'big names'

they're not necessarily casting the best actor for the role, they're casting a familiar name and banking on that to bring in viewers, regardless of whether s/he brings anything unique to the role

Stargate has a long history of “stunt casting” – Robert Picardo, Jolene Blalock, Ethan Philips and Lexa Doig just to name a few.

You’re probably correct TPTB didn’t believe that AT, MS and CJ could carry the show without RDA and they brought in “known actors” in Season 9. Also, Scifi channel may have been unwilling to renew Stargate without an “American lead actor”.

The stunt casting of Corin Nemec may have been done for the same reason; TPTB were concerned with the departure of MS and decided to bring in a “known” actor.

Comment

and most of that has been since skiffy got thier hands on it.

I don't hold corin against them as much because he was never promoted as 'corin nemec of.....' whereas Ben and Claudia especially have been heavily promoted as 'farscape's ben browder and claudia black join.....'

While i can understand the safety net of casting an actor with experience, it's a fine line between casting for experience and promoting the new job with said new actor's history.

it hasn't been 'ben browder is joining the cast' it's been 'FARSCAPE'S Ben Browder.....'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        and most of that has been since skiffy got thier hands on it.

I don't hold corin against them as much because he was never promoted as 'corin nemec of.....' whereas Ben and Claudia especially have been heavily promoted as 'farscape's ben browder and claudia black join.....'

While i can understand the safety net of casting an actor with experience, it's a fine line between casting for experience and promoting the new job with said new actor's history.

it hasn't been 'ben browder is joining the cast' it's been 'FARSCAPE'S Ben Browder.....'
        Another reason why Browder, Bridges and Black may have been cast is that they were willing to work in Vancouver. Many L.A. actors will not relocate/commute to Vancouver to work on a scifi show. Actually that isn’t true, actors that maybe unwilling to work on Stargate may be willing to work on a critically acclaimed show like BSG, or The 4400.

Taking a scifi role is often considered the "kiss of death" to an actor's career. Does the Scifi refer to AT, MS and CJ as Stargate's Tapping, Shanks and Judge? Shatner has an Emmy for Boston Legal, but his name is inextricably linked with Capt. Kirk and Star Trek.

Comment

Stunt casting, eh? Yep, that sounds about right. It also explains why the latest batches of sides posted on showfax have been put in the LA section (instead of the Vancouver section). I believe the that two episodes shown were put in LA and LA only.

Remember the old days when they relied solely on Vancouverite talent? I miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by frellu2
            Stargate has a long history of “stunt casting” – Robert Picardo, Jolene Blalock, Ethan Philips and Lexa Doig just to name a few.

You’re probably correct TPTB didn’t believe that AT, MS and CJ could carry the show without RDA and they brought in “known actors” in Season 9. Also, Scifi channel may have been unwilling to renew Stargate without an “American lead actor”.

The stunt casting of Corin Nemec may have been done for the same reason; TPTB were concerned with the departure of MS and decided to bring in a “known” actor.
            If by "Long history" you mean the last 2-3 years.. then yeah sure.

BTW most of the "known" actors like CN who have been on stargate were never pimped out as big name actors, because they really werent that big name. If MS, AT, CJ are on another show most people wont know who they are as long as that shows TPTB doesnt do the OMFG LOOK WHO WE HAVE crp that stargates TPTB is pulling.

Also, as far as big name "stars" the only people who have actually been on the show are Beu Bridges, Lou Gossett and (the ever present in any series that goes long enough) Micheal Ironside. The rest of these big name "stars" are little known outside their nitche and if TPTB were spending more time writing the characters and less time pimping them out and referring to their old show then I think maybe the characters would have had a better chance of success.

It doesnt help that you pulled two people from the exact same show, that was on the exact same channel, in the exact same timeslot and made ONE of their characters basically the exact same character. Lastly, it would help if they were treated like the new supporting character they are instead of re-writing the entire show so that they are the leads and the original leads of the show are minor supporting characters. Its such a bunch of crp. (I wonder how much farscape fans would have liked it if BB had left their show and the producers brought in MS and what the heck, bring over Anise or someone with him and make them the complete, total focus of the show... who is Aryen Sun? Chiana who? That rigle guy never has lines. yada, yada, yada)
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Ethan Philips
              Okay, I'm blanking here. Ethan Phillips? The guy who played Neelix on Voyager? Who did he play in Stargate? Course as I've never seen him without Neelix makeup I'm prepared to believe I could easily have missed him! Although, I can't find anything in his IMDB profile about SG1....

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                Okay, I'm blanking here. Ethan Phillips? The guy who played Neelix on Voyager? Who did he play in Stargate? Course as I've never seen him without Neelix makeup I'm prepared to believe I could easily have missed him! Although, I can't find anything in his IMDB profile about SG1....

Albion
                Hes probably thinking of John Billingsley. Dr Flox from Enterprise. He played Coombs in the other guys.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Ah. Yes, could be. Thanks!

Albion
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    If by "Long history" you mean the last 2-3 years.. then yeah sure.

BTW most of the "known" actors like CN who have been on stargate were never pimped out as big name actors, because they really werent that big name. If MS, AT, CJ are on another show most people wont know who they are as long as that shows TPTB doesnt do the OMFG LOOK WHO WE HAVE crp that stargates TPTB is pulling.

Also, as far as big name "stars" the only people who have actually been on the show are Beu Bridges, Lou Gossett and (the ever present in any series that goes long enough) Micheal Ironside. The rest of these big name "stars" are little known outside their nitche and if TPTB were spending more time writing the characters and less time pimping them out and referring to their old show then I think maybe the characters would have had a better chance of success.

It doesnt help that you pulled two people from the exact same show, that was on the exact same channel, in the exact same timeslot and made ONE of their characters basically the exact same character. Lastly, it would help if they were treated like the new supporting character they are instead of re-writing the entire show so that they are the leads and the original leads of the show are minor supporting characters. Its such a bunch of crp. (I wonder how much farscape fans would have liked it if BB had left their show and the producers brought in MS and what the heck, bring over Anise or someone with him and make them the complete, total focus of the show... who is Aryen Sun? Chiana who? That rigle guy never has lines. yada, yada, yada)
                    Yes, I have mistaken John Billingsley for Ethan Phillips.

If Beau Bridges and Lou Gossett are your standard for “known actors”, RDA is also a niche actor. The only other scifi show with "known actors" would be BSG with EJO and MM.

The addition of Browder, Bridges and Black and the use of other niche actors is a direct response RDA’s reduced schedule and eventual departure. TPTB (the shows producers, Scifi and MGM) did not believe that the remaining cast could carry the show and have been propping up Stargate with guest actors/new cast members for the last 2 – 3 years.

ETA

Replace Ethan Phillips with John Delancie.

Browder's character on Farscape was civilian scientist astronaut - similar characters on Stargate would be Carter and Jackson, not Mitchell.
                    Last edited by frellu2; 24 June 2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have mistaken John Billingsley for Ethan Phillips.

If Beau Bridges and Lou Gossett are your standard for “known actors”, RDA is also a niche actor. The only other scifi show with "known actors" would be BSG with EJO and MM.

The addition of Browder, Bridges and Black and the use of other niche actors is a direct response RDA’s reduced schedule and eventual departure. TPTB (the shows producers, Scifi and MGM) did not believe that the remaining cast could carry the show and have been propping up Stargate with guest actors/new cast members for the last 2 – 3 years.

ETA

Browder's character on Farscape was civilian scientist astronaut - similar characters on Stargate would be Carter and Jackson, not Mitchell.
                      I believe Beau Bridges is the biggest name star on the show, so he should have been considered the replacement for RDA, after all when he left RDA was the gerneral running the SGC, they didn't need to bring in bb(little b's because he's not as big a star as BB) and CB. Evidently these new "stars" bb and cb did not bring the ratings up, they did go down didn't they
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

If Beau Bridges and Lou Gossett are your standard for “known actors”, RDA is also a niche actor. The only other scifi show with "known actors" would be BSG with EJO and MM. .
                        Oh, I agree. RDA is not what I would consider a big name "star" the way Bridges and Gossett or Ironside are. He does have a bit more recognition then the other (bb,cb,at,ms,cj) due to his years on MacGyver and is well known enough for that role that master card thought they could use the MacGyver persona to sell services. But I certainly didn’t recognize him when I first started watching Stargate and I doubt his name is that well known outside of MacGyver fans or Stargate fans.

ETA

Yes, too bad TPTB lacked the faith and loyalty in the actors and the storylines that made this such a great and long running show. I think that this lack of faith and loyalty will come back to bite them as the show has taken a nosedive in quality. If they had gone on to new and better things WITH the actors who have made this show what it was and brought in some new characters to interact WITH them I think this show could have gone a long long time. As it is I think they have doomed themselves to early unnecessary end and a fade into mediocrity. Such a shame.

Other then Mitchell being in the Military he is exactly like Crichton. Same good ol boy attitude, same since of humor, same incompetence, same issues with being in the shadow of his father, same "he is the center of the universe" storylines. It is the same character. Carter and Jackson are nothing like Crichton. Mitchell is Crichton who happens to be a Lt Col instead of a Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                          Lastly, it would help if they were treated like the new supporting character they are instead of re-writing the entire show so that they are the leads and the original leads of the show are minor supporting characters.
                          thats the one thing that annoys me the most about S9 and probably S10 as well. this ISNT cam or valas show. over the last 2 seasons it has turned into a show that revolves around 1 person, and it looks like s10 is going to revolve around the other. and lets not forget both of these characters are the newcomers. so why do sam, daniel and tealc have to take a backseat in storylines for them
                          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                            thats the one thing that annoys me the most about S9 and probably S10 as well. this ISNT cam or valas show. over the last 2 seasons it has turned into a show that revolves around 1 person, and it looks like s10 is going to revolve around the other. and lets not forget both of these characters are the newcomers. so why do sam, daniel and tealc have to take a backseat in storylines for them
                            Because the B@B just luuuuv Farscape sooo much they want to re-create it
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                              2 seasons? season 8?

<insert rage over 200th ep being about MITCHELL. if you're gonna make a new show, MAKE A NEW FREAKIN SHOW>
                              sigpic
                              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                Because the B@B just luuuuv Farscape sooo much they want to re-create it
                                or are being told to recreate farscape

or a combo of the both
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X