S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping off the deep end here.

I agree with Skydiver. Dixon would have been fantastic. I would have had no problem with them bringing him in as team leader. He had the experience and we had seen him before in a command position. Adam Baldwin also had the geek cred to pull in new fans.

If they just had to use Ben Browder, they should have written him different. Have him be in command of one of the SG teams we never saw with a backstory of having done something heroic as an SG team member, bumped up to Colonel and given command of SG-1 when everyone went their separate ways. Then have them called back because of the Ori, and have to adjust to the new command.

And Vala - that was just sad. She was a poorly written and conceived character. Claudia had the talent to be so much more and they just simply blew it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
      Jumping off the deep end here.

I agree with Skydiver. Dixon would have been fantastic. I would have had no problem with them bringing him in as team leader. He had the experience and we had seen him before in a command position. Adam Baldwin also had the geek cred to pull in new fans.
      Like I said a few pages ago he (and some of the other familiar team commanders) would have indeed made a good choice to be SG-1's new commander, but I would probably still have a bit of a problem with a full bird having a lieutenant colonel as a second in command, be that Sam or Mitchell. It's just a waste of good officers and experience that would better benefit lower ranking officers/enlisted to learn the ropes. Still, it beats the co-command thing TPTB finally came up with in season 10 after the backlash from fans.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Like I said a few pages ago he (and some of the other familiar team commanders) would have indeed made a good choice to be SG-1's new commander, but I would probably still have a bit of a problem with a full bird having a lieutenant colonel as a second in command, be that Sam or Mitchell. It's just a waste of good officers and experience that would better benefit lower ranking officers/enlisted to learn the ropes. Still, it beats the co-command thing TPTB finally came up with in season 10 after the backlash from fans.
        Maybe, but it was the flagship team which should have the best the base has to offer, so would have been easier to swallow, than say a flyboy hero with no gate experience and a "oh golly gee whiz look at the Stargate isn't it so cool" attitude.

This is why to me SG1 ended with S8. Not sure what S9/S10 was but it wasn't SG1. Maybe SG-ME + 3?
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe, but it was the flagship team which should have the best the base has to offer, so would have been easier to swallow, than say a flyboy hero with no gate experience and a "oh golly gee whiz look at the Stargate isn't it so cool" attitude.
          True, but a younger ranking officer on the team, being trained as it were would make more sense when it comes to promotions and eventually taking over the team, like how it was done in the first eight years.

This is why to me SG1 ended with S8. Not sure what S9/S10 was but it wasn't SG1. Maybe SG-ME + 3?
          In Mitchell's own words it were just "two letters, a dash, and a number".
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Still, it beats the co-command thing TPTB finally came up with in season 10 after the backlash from fans.
            And then after having Mitchell stress that he wasn't actually in command of anything, they didn't come up with much else for him to do. They brought him in as the leader of a team that did not need his leadership, and once they started to pull back in terms of the leader thing, they hadn't given him another role, something that he brought to the team that they didn't already have.

True, but a younger ranking officer on the team, being trained as it were would make more sense when it comes to promotions and eventually taking over the team, like how it was done in the first eight years.
            Mitchell would have worked as a younger junior officer brought in as second in command. If he was new to the base, one of a number of officers recruited to expand SG teams and somebody who performed very well in the training programme, and he was assigned to SG-1, it would be more understandable for him to be awed by the stargate, excited about working with SG-1 and even a bit impulsive. For a team leader, expectations were higher, and rightly so.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

ANother way mitchell could have rocked would be to have him be an appointed leader....'senator so and so got him this job'....but have him know it and cop to it and be 'yeah, i know i'm in charge on paper but really guys, i'm not qualified, teach me'

give him that conflict and honor.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                ANother way mitchell could have rocked would be to have him be an appointed leader....'senator so and so got him this job'....but have him know it and cop to it and be 'yeah, i know i'm in charge on paper but really guys, i'm not qualified, teach me'

give him that conflict and honor.
                That would be a good idea, and the established background with his injuries in the battle over Antarctica would fit with it. In The Road Not Taken, AU Mitchell was being groomed as a poster boy.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

The reason I liked Cam was because he was interesting and different than Jack who I had issues with seasons 6,7 & 8.

The only reason they gave Sam the SG-1 leader position was because they probably didn't have the money to bring on a new character and have RDA now I am guessing that's because SGA just started and they thought it was the last year. We really didn't see Sam in action as leader of SG-1 in season 8. I really didn't feel that teamy spirit you all were talking about earlier in season 8 only in season finale.

You all complain about Sam's lack of screen time and attention well at least she was still on the show looked what happened to Elizabeth in SGA first she was left behind then they killed off what we think was a clone and then when Torri Higginson didn't come back they got another actress to play her then they spaced her. Compared to TH/Elizabeth they loved and respected Sam/AT. I don't blame AT for what happened to TH if I remember correctly Sam was one of three possiblities after they let go TH. I was a member of the Anti Carter in Atlantis thread but I didn't have a problem with Sam just her taking over in SGA. I am guessing the TPTB thought bringing Sam/AT would go smoothly because we knew Sam boy were they wrong. I also believe they put AT in a difficult position.

I won't be on until Tuesday because of Work and a U.S. holiday I really miss my laptop and having an home internet connection makes having discussions difficult.
                  Last edited by poundpuppy29; 12 April 2012, 01:58 PM.
                  sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                    The only reason they gave Sam the SG-1 leader position was because they probably didn't have the money to bring on a new character and have RDA now I am guessing that's because SGA just started and they thought it was the last year.
                    Season 8 was planned to be the final season. That's why O'Neill had command of the SGC with Carter leading the three-man SG-1 team. The eighth season was all about resolution. That's why there wasn't a new second-in-command assigned to SG-1. It also fit O'Neill's character. He never liked the idea of anyone being on SG-1 except himself, Carter, Jackson, and Teal'c. He believed that SG-1 was fully capable as a three-man team.

You all complain about Sam's lack of screen time and attention well at least she was still on the show looked what happened to Elizabeth in SGA first she was left behind then they killed off what we think was a clone and then when Torri Higginson didn't come back they got another actress to play her then they spaced her. Compared to TH/Elizabeth they loved and respected Sam/AT. I don't blame AT for what happened to TH if I remember correctly Sam was one of three possiblities after they let go TH. I was a member of the Anti Carter in Atlantis thread but I didn't have a problem with Sam just her taking over in SGA. I am guessing the TPTB thought bringing Sam/AT would go smoothly because we knew Sam boy were they wrong. I also believe they put AT in a difficult position.
                    People aren't complaining about Sam's lack of screen time. People are complaining about Carter being demoted and serving as second-in-command to someone with no off world experience. As for Dr. Weir... I think her character was handled well right up through her final episode as a main character, "Lifeline." It was the three "guest appearances" where the writers screwed up. Really, the cameo in "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was a waste. They could have given her a starring role in her fourth and final appearance in the fourth season. All we got was one scene. That's it? Lame. As for Carter being a candidate to replace Dr. Weir... was she? I was under the impression that the network wanted an SG-1 character to crossover to Atlantis with SG-1 having been cancelled. Carter was chosen, and thus Weir was written out at the last minute. Bottom line, Weir was only written out to make room for Carter. This doesn't bother me in the least. It was how Weir was handled in "This Mortal Coil," "Be All My Sins Remember'd," and "Ghost in the Machine" that I took issue with. So what if Carter replaced Weir? Woolsey replaced Carter, Ronan replaced Ford, and Keller replaced Beckett. Cast changes are inevitable. As far as Carter taking over Atlantis, that simply didn't happen. She was in 14 of 20 episodes, one of which was just a cameo. The only episode I can think of where she had a central role was "Trio." Beyond that, she had a smaller role than Weir did in the previous seasons. How exactly did she take over?

Comment

I read somewhere that Sam was one of 3 characters in an interview by one of the producers I think Joe Mallozzi but I am not sure and I don't remember where.
                      sigpic
                      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I read somewhere that Sam was one of 3 characters in an interview by one of the producers I think Joe Mallozzi but I am not sure and I don't remember where.

How exactly did she take over?
                        well she was made commander of Atlantis that is taking over Elizabeth was the leader of Atlantis
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          As for Carter being a candidate to replace Dr. Weir... was she? I was under the impression that the network wanted an SG-1 character to crossover to Atlantis with SG-1 having been cancelled. Carter was chosen, and thus Weir was written out at the last minute. Bottom line, Weir was only written out to make room for Carter.
                          It's been stated in various interviews and I believe in the Illustrated Companion as well - the decision to get rid of Weir came BEFORE the decision to have Sam crossover. Once they decided they were ousting Tori, then they came up with potential replacements. They came up with Sam at the top of the list, then asked Amanda. She didn't say yes right away, as she was hesitant to join the show because she didn't want it to become all about Sam.
                          Last edited by KayLyne; 12 April 2012, 02:36 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Some of the producers and writers are known for lying in interviews, so who's to say they didn't lie about this as well? Specifically, lying in regards to revealing in interviews that X was going to happen and then it never happening. I stopped reading GateWorld interviews for that reason. I got tired of the bull****.

well she was made commander of Atlantis that is taking over Elizabeth was the leader of Atlantis
                            Ah, I thought you were saying she took over the TV series from the main cast, or something with to that implication. It's not OK for Carter to be placed in charge of Atlantis, but it would be OK for someone else? I don't understand this logic. From a story perspective, there were really only three logical candidates to replace Elizabeth Weir as the new expedition leader: Sheppard, Caldwell, and Carter. Can you name anyone else?

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                            It's been stated in various interviews and I believe in the Illustrated Companion as well - the decision to get rid of Weir came BEFORE the decision to have Sam crossover. Once they decided they were ousting Tori, then they came up with potential replacements. They came up with Sam at the top of the list, then asked Amanda. She didn't say yes right away, as she was hesitant to join the show because she didn't want it to become all about Sam.
                            Except that's not what happened. Carter was brought over, because the network (SciFi) requested for an SG-1 character to cross over to Atlantis full time for the fourth season. Amanda Tapping had already signed on for an eleventh season of SG-1. They used the contract to bring Tapping over to the spin-off show. She wasn't exactly thrilled about this as she was looking forward to moving on to other projects. Sanctuary was probably already in development. Weren't the webisodes produced parallel with Atlantis's fourth season? I don't think she wanted to leave the franchise, but I don't think she wanted to continue in a starring capacity either.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                              Except that's not what happened. Carter was brought over, because the network (SciFi) requested for an SG-1 character to cross over to Atlantis full time for the fourth season. Amanda Tapping had already signed on for an eleventh season of SG-1. They used the contract to bring Tapping over to the spin-off show. She wasn't exactly thrilled about this as she was looking forward to moving on to other projects. Sanctuary was probably already in development. Weren't the webisodes produced parallel with Atlantis's fourth season? I don't think she wanted to leave the franchise, but I don't think she wanted to continue in a starring capacity either.
                              Do you have a source for the comment about SciFi wanting an SG1 character?

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                I'm assuming you meant "Moving along' and were not tell us to move along.
                                I basically meant go back to what you were talking about.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X