^^^ Stealz above post
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      A bit. But it went plaid with S9.

suse
      ROFL Spaceballs!! Excellent movie which was supposed to be a send up unlike S9 & 10 which just turned out that way
      -

Comment

And to a much smaller scale... The Other Guys was meant to be a comedy episode. Turns out Mitchell used several of Felger's lines from that ep. In a (supposedly) serious manner.
        Last edited by suse; 24 February 2011, 06:22 PM.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          And to a much smaller scale... The Other Guys was meant to be a comedy episode. Turns out Mitchell used several of Felger's lines in that ep. In a (supposedly) serious manner.
          Understandable since we know that S9 & 10 were all Felger's fault
          -

Comment

I always thought season 9 and 10 were felger's fantasy, with mitch as his avatar (kinda like how Daniel and McKay were the writers' avatars)
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
              In contrast, from what I remember of S9/10, the only thing they seemed to try against the Ori was looking weapons the Ancients happened to leave around, first the Sangraal and then the Ark.
              You know, know you've mentioned it. you DO have a point there ... I mean a couple of other ideas are mentioned in Season 9, and they DO block the Supergate in 'Pegasus Project'. But other than that, the plan to 'save the galaxy' is the 'find the mysterious weapon!' ( Just don't stare into it! [see if you get THAT refrence!] )

Its like the Ori Crusade stopped when it started. They invade with their ships and army and well we saw very little of it!

I KNOW extra and CGI battle effects are EXPENSIVE for a show in its tenth season (and with another expensive spin off running at the same time!), but they could of tried to work around it! :/

(hmmm. Must be becoming a fan fiction writer. I'm finding 'canon' rather bothersome, and being very vocal about it! )

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              (like letting vala go to the meeting at the pentagon, when they knew she was a loud mouthed thief, and they let her dress like a high priced call-girl to boot! buuut, it was funny! )
              but...it was.

*looks around awkwardly*
              *ssssllllooowwwlllyyyy backs out of room*
              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                That's the main reason why I don't mind the superweapon in S7 vs S10, since very little story time was spent on them searching for it. Same with S8, they didn't spend the whole season looking for the Dakara weapon. Also, with the Goa'uld we got to see SG-1 utilize several different methods of fighting them, from blowing up their ships to beating them in 'court', or sometimes working with one to defeat another.

In contrast, from what I remember of S9/10, the only thing they seemed to try against the Ori was looking weapons the Ancients happened to leave around, first the Sangraal and then the Ark. So the superweapons of S9/10 felt like a rather one-note way to fight the Ori to me, while in S7/8 it felt more like they were part of the variety tools SG-1 used against the Goa'uld.

I think part of the problem was the Ori themselves. *they* were one note. I never thought the ancients were a good storyline and the ori were like evil ancients. How do you oppose them with ingenuity and by getting them to underestimate you as with the Goa'uld?

For all the trashing of the goa'uld we got from coop & co., they were actually much better bad guys. Sure, they were a bit over the top in their arrogance & outfits but really, if you think about it=they enslaved billions of people, they were vicious, etc.--but our heroes could engage them and win. I think in the later days in rewriting history, ptb confused OTT outfits with silly enemies. Think of Ba'al (before they defanged him) and what he did to O'Neill in Abyss.

Also in the original days, exploration was important to what they did whether they found weapons or not. IIRC, technically they were supposed to be exploring to find weapons to defeat the goa'uld, but that wasn't the only purpose.

S9 &10 is largely a different vision of what the show was & so they had to rewrite characters to accommodate it. the lack of engagement by Sam in Beachhead is a prime example. She suddenly became slow on the uptake, not realizing for most of the episode that firing at the forcefield was feeding it. Even I could see that. And then stumped again so Vala could play hero at the last minute. And Daniel was no better--iirc he spent most of the episode sniping at Vala instead of using his brain either.

Comment

IMHO, one of the biggest issues with the ori....ooh, they're horrible creatures that feed off your religious ferver. and the proof? oh, it's a splinter sect of them saying how bad it is that you believe in the Ori to feed them and make them stronger. really? so we're fighting a religious war based on one 'side' saying the other is bad?

first of all, religious wars are a bad plot point. it was a ham fisted attempt to take a swing at extremist religions. very poorly done cause the ori were so one dimensional - they were even so one dimensional that the same actors could play multiple versions of themselves.

at least with the goa'uld we had enslavement as proof that the goa'uld were bad. with the ori? we pretty much had one 'tinkerbell' against the other.....'belief makes me stronger'

how do we really, REALLY know that the ori were bad and evil?

developed, the lucian alliance could have been a better enemy than the ori.

sigpic

Comment

I did like the Lucien Alliance as an enemy. Unfortunately not on SG-1.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

can i ask why some of you dont like vala she was my fav of all the newcomers that were introduced in sg1. it was cameron and landry who i felt could of been better.
                      sigpic
                      The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Oh, she was okay in some eps. But when she was introduced in Prometheus Unbound in S8 I didn't like the character. It was just over the top. And I didn't like how one woman in one supersoldier outfit managed to take over a whole Earth ship. And expect to fly it. And managed to get the whole crew into a shuttle. And still found time to sexually harass Daniel.

Honestly, I expected better in S9. They couldn't *possibly* think Vala as written in PU was sustainable. Instead, we got increased sexual harassment of not just Daniel - which was more than enough - but any man (oh *so* funny ) , a dominatrix outfit and a complete lack of tact in dealing with an unknown race. And a skunk stripe.

Then Syfy, knowing Coop wanted her back, forced Vala upon us (a *whole* ep devoted to her) in late S9. In S10 she was added, and *then* TPTB recognize they made the character unsustainable. (To be fair, I think they realized that by the late S9 ep (Crusade??).) So, instead of just toning down her harassment, they ramped up the 'comedy' aspect of the character and kept the attachment to Daniel. She was a alternately comedic relief and most decidedly a character with potential for depth. Rarely realized. A shame, as I liked that aspect.

And that's just off the top of my head.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                          You know, know you've mentioned it. you DO have a point there ... I mean a couple of other ideas are mentioned in Season 9, and they DO block the Supergate in 'Pegasus Project'. But other than that, the plan to 'save the galaxy' is the 'find the mysterious weapon!' ( Just don't stare into it! [see if you get THAT refrence!] )

Its like the Ori Crusade stopped when it started. They invade with their ships and army and well we saw very little of it!
                          That's what boggled me about the episodes post-Shroud. Sure they 'killed' the Ori, but that was in another galaxy, there were still a half a dozen ships and thousands of troops wreaking havoc in this one. And yet now they have the free time to go to high school reunions, mess around with space corn smugglers, and humor Vala's dad?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          IMHO, one of the biggest issues with the ori....ooh, they're horrible creatures that feed off your religious ferver. and the proof? oh, it's a splinter sect of them saying how bad it is that you believe in the Ori to feed them and make them stronger. really? so we're fighting a religious war based on one 'side' saying the other is bad?
                          That very premise seemed rather half-baked to me. You can't just create energy, it has to come from somewhere, so the power given to the Ori from their believers should had had a negative effect on them, physical deterioration or something.

developed, the lucian alliance could have been a better enemy than the ori.
                          I agree, esp considering how they've been portrayed in SGU.

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                          can i ask why some of you dont like vala she was my fav of all the newcomers that were introduced in sg1. it was cameron and landry who i felt could of been better.
                          Pretty much what suse said. She had some good moments, but overall she was far too uneven and just didn't fit well into the show IMHO. I didn't find much of what she said funny, and it didn't make any sense to me, either for the show or the character, for her to join SG-1.

sigpic

Comment

the name of this thread cracks me up. how politically correct
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Vala, to me, had potential. the goa'uld had just fallen and they had an ex queen on their side, degoaulded and ticked at the tok'ra. But vala's wealth of knowledge was rarely tapped into beyond jokes or silly episodes where they spent the whole thing running in circles chasing down a run of her bad trades.

she was an ex host like sam, but it rarely came up even though it was a perfect opportunity to deal with sam's past as well as vala's.

vala had a TON of potential. But, again to me, it was endlessly squandered on bad jokes, her hitting on Daniel continually, her latest revealing outfit...she was just passed off as a cheap parlor trick when she had the potential to be so much more.

she was, in a lot of ways, a symbol of seasons 9 and 10....they had potential, but the writers just continually took the easy way out, the cheap laugh and amusing parlor trick. I regret what vala coulda been.

sigpic

Comment

I think the most potential we saw from Vala was when she was paired with Tomin. We got to see the serious Vala and not the joke she was with Daniel. My biggest problem with Vala was how easily they accepted her and trusted her. They never trusted Maybourne even though they worked with him. Vala should have been kept as a reluctanct source of information, not a team member, something I don't think she ever deserved to become, given her past.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X