S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    coop has to keep spinning. it's the only way he can continue to duck responsibility for what he did.

and if he keeps spinning long enough, maybe someone will start to believe it? In any case, it's the story he wants out there for when he starts looking for a new job

'Yes, mr network prez, yeah, i know stargate's ratings plummeted after i took over. but you know, it's not my fault, sir. if scifi had just have promoted it and if those pesky fans had just embraced my changes, we'd have been golden. Oh, yeah, and the ratings system??? flawed, horribly and massively flawed. If it wasn't so flawed, the show would still be on the air because i just know more poeople were watching than those ratings showed...the decline? oh, that wasn't a decline per se. it was a conspiracy. yeah, sunspots, happened every friday and messed up the computers at neilson'
    Talking about RCC's 'spin'...!:

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...s_part_1.shtml

1) they weren't cancelled!... they just weren't 'renewed': "the network to give us the call that they were going to not renew -- I wouldn't say "cancel" -- they were going to not renew SG-1 for the eleventh season."

2) the show was doing great in Season 10: we felt that creatively the show was in good stride, and as strong as it had been in the past. And -- I know certain segments of the fans disagree -- but we felt that it was still a pretty good show."

RE: "I know certain segments of the fans disagree"... I guess that's a small nod to the ratings decline? Or perhaps, still ignoring the ratings decline (as an artifact of supposedly bad data), and instead is a nod to some negative fan comments on the net and in letters?

Spoiler:

So which 'certain segments' of the fans disagreed and left?
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 20 July 2007, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
      Maybe the one's who thought Stargate SG1 should I don't know, include the stargate, and revolve around the team SG1, not just one or 2 characters
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
        those that had too many issues and were too stupid to apprecaite the changes

at least that's how coop phrased it. those of us that didn't like it just had issues and i think it was MS that used the term 'stupid' in the context of those that didn't like the new show
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

at least that's how coop phrased it. those of us that didn't like it just had issues and i think it was MS that used the term 'stupid' in the context of those that didn't like the new show
          Yep, that sounds like them
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Ah, the stupid fans, the 30% that left. Boy I wished I had been stupid.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post

No, like me you weren't dumb enough to leave
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Seriously?

Is it not liking Mitchell that qualifies one for the label of "stupid", not liking Vaniel, not liking the Ori, not liking the new Stargate-free, SG-1-free, Stargate: Command SG-1 or do you need to not like all of the above to be truly stupid?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                  Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  No, like me you weren't dumb enough to leave
                  That's me...too stupid to leave when I saw the show take a major nose dive. Kind of like being in a plane and suddenly the plane starts to go down. "all the stupid" passangers with a parachute jumped but I stood there holding the chute and still thinking the plane wouldn't actually crash. The time I figured out we were going to crash, burn and hurt--it was too late to jump and I just had to ride it out.

Meanwhile all the "stupid" passangers that jumped found another plane.

Oh well, I don't need coop's vision of SG-1 to entertian myself. Just a pen, paper and a dictionary. Now, where did that dictionary go?
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Which interview was that? I think I've read transcripts or listened to all the recent ones and I don't remember him saying that.

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                      That's me...too stupid to leave when I saw the show take a major nose dive. Kind of like being in a plane and suddenly the plane starts to go down. "all the stupid" passangers with a parachute jumped but I stood there holding the chute and still thinking the plane wouldn't actually crash. The time I figured out we were going to crash, burn and hurt--it was too late to jump and I just had to ride it out.

Meanwhile all the "stupid" passangers that jumped found another plane.

Oh well, I don't need coop's vision of SG-1 to entertian myself. Just a pen, paper and a dictionary. Now, where did that dictionary go?
                      See now, I don't think of myself as stupid...just...pathologically loyal.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                        See now, I don't think of myself as stupid...just...pathologically loyal.
                        That's what it boils down to; whatever our feelings about the show as it is now, there was a time when we all liked it and that, together with the elements we can still enjoy, is what's keeping us watching.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                          Which interview was that? I think I've read transcripts or listened to all the recent ones and I don't remember him saying that.

FF
                          I've read many of Shanks' interviews as well, and I don't quite remember him saying that either. Was it at a con, maybe?

Comment

i can't recall the details, even though i pretty much stopped reading some of the interviews because it was the same tripe over and over. IIRC, the context of 'stupid' was along the line of him thinking that the changes were just great and people that didn't liek them were just too stupid to appreciate the changes or comprehend them or something along that line.

I'm sure someone will find it.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think it was on MS's last blog entry over at TV Guide where he said something like this.
                              Last edited by LaCroix; 20 July 2007, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                                I think it was on MS's last blog entry over at TV Guide where he said this.
                                This was all I could find in the blog. I don't see any calling the fans stupid for being critical there.

“Unending.” An appropriate name for a show that has ended, been critically bashed, changed its cast and been written off by so many. And still we survived with a new tomorrow. Forgive me, but…NEENER-NEENER-NEENER! I am so proud of the cast, the writers, the crew, the producers, and yes, even the executives who endured many whips and scorns, only to show up ever day and make this journey possible. But most of all, I am proud of you, the viewer, who really has made all of it feasible. Without you, we as ‘players’ truly have no purpose. You are sincerely what has made the gate spin week after week. Be proud.

I know that not all of you have supported every decision that the storytellers have made. Fandom, has become over time like a dysfunctional family: separated in agenda, but united in a love for what is, what was, or what simply could be. It’s all OK now. I believe that the entire family can now embrace, mourn or celebrate the end of an era. Together, whether some like it or not, we have made television history. Be very proud.
                                I'm not doubting that he might have said something, MS can be rather blunt, but I just don't remember reading anything recently.

FF
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X