S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    In no particular order (except #2 and #1)

* Anise I didn't like her, but really didn't even notice what she was wearing. Probably would have if it was leather. Not a horrible premise - I thought the goa-uld and host liking different people was funny - but really. Trying to copy 7 of 9? <sigh>

* Landry Poor guy, never had a chance with me after he made the LMAH lead of the team. Insulting Sam re:Orlin (implying she's a pedophile!!!) was the last straw. I did like him in Continuum. Jack was no Hammond either, but did he have to be, in his tern, a putz?

* Lam Daddy issues. And the Orlin thing, Daddy and his baby girl were in one accord there. <<sigh>>

2. Vala - She was in the number one spot for the first 6 eps of S9. I disliked her in S8 but was willing to revise that if she was less...too much... in S9. Oops. Disaster with a capital OMG. I actually liked her in parts of eps in the latter half of S10. You know, the parts that didn't ahve her attached to Daniel or vamping it up aggressively *or* passively.

1. Mitchell I just at first. Didn't find the interviews with hopefuls at all funny. I thought his position as team leader would go away when the team leader was back. Who would put a newbie in charge of people with that much experience? Oh. TPTB would. I struggled (and failed) to like him - except for fleeting moments - til episode 200. That was the end. No more trying. Odd, because as I said there were fleeting moments where I saw I might have liked him if he had been Major Mitchell under Sam. I hope I'd be big enough to feel that way for any character that was demoted for no reason. By Continuum, well, I own the movie and would like to watch it again, but I know that the Mitchell focus will just get me mad again. So I haven't.

suse
    *wonders if suse has been sharing my mind again*

I'd green ya if I could but must share the jello around apparently.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
      Do you mean Osiris?
      Yes I do.

Fixed that mistake. My brain sometimes shuts off on the weekends.

at the honorable mentions!

<sigh> See my location...

suse
      Still?!?! You must have quite the headache!

Had my list of honorable mentions included one time guest stars it would have been far longer...
      Last edited by Ashizuri; 20 June 2009, 11:34 PM.
      Originally posted by Callista
      Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
      Originally posted by HPMom
      She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        *comes in and dusts off thread* "Achoooo", oops excuse me

I noticed on GW's home page, Darren listed his top five character intros, well I thought I'd give a bit of a different list

Top 5 Worst characters (according to me )

5. Anise, she was a character that came in to fill the 7 of 9, alien in skin tight out fit spot, that was forced upon TPTB by Skiffy Showtime.

4. Vala Mal Doran, she was a character that came in wearing a dominatrix outfit (s9), that was forced(?) upon TPTB by Skiffy. (I sense a theme here )
        *although I'm quite sure Cooper wanted her on the show full time too*

3. Dr. Lam, were there any good things about this character? I beleive even Lexa mentioned that Lam was such a cold character, she didn't like her
        (Correct me if I am wrong)

2. General Landry, he was supposed to be a seasoned general, but he kept making terrible decisions. Making an inexperienced rookie leader of SG1 is just one of those

1. Cam Mitchell, Cam 'Shaft' Mitchell, yep he gave us the shaft all right, with his inexperienced enthusiam put into a leader of the number 1 team This is the leader who doesn't know not to push the button, doesn't listen to his experienced team and runs straight into trouble (taking his team with him)...because you know, it's what SG1 does
        My thoughts exactly! It's funny how 4/5 are S9/10 characters.

Have some jello

I do have to mention Pete here, who would have been fine if he never came back after Chimera. Forcing him back into the story again and again was just too much. Especially since it was clear that he didn't belong there.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
          [B][SIZE="4"]
          5. Ba'al. Ba'al is another character I have the love/hate relationship with. In Abyss he was amazing. Charming and suave and suitably terrifying. Season 8 was OK, but I was starting to feel like maybe we were seeing him to much. By season 10 he was basically declawed comedic reflief who was an honerary member of SG1. After Continuum, even though he was closer to his Abyss incarnation, I hope I never, ever see him again.
          I think Ba'al fell victim to TPTB penchant for not knowing when enough is enough. If one visit from Ba'al is good, then 10 are better! If a little humor is good, making SG1 a comedy is better!
          Honorable mentions to Sarah Gardiner/Osiris, Ishta, Oma Desala, Pete, Dr. Lam, Lt. Hailey, and Colonel Simmons, all of who annoy me greatly.
          I have to disagree only with Osiris & Simmons. Simmons was a love to hate character who they used just enough. I thought Osiris was a good villain,(charmingly evil) [can't say I cared for Sarah Gardner] but if they had been able to get the actress back they probably would have ruined her like they did Ba'al.

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
          I do have to mention Pete here, who would have been fine if he never came back after Chimera. Forcing him back into the story again and again was just too much. Especially since it was clear that he didn't belong there.
          If Pete had disappeared after his whiny scene the morning after, he might have been ok as an incident in Sam's life. Poor Sam tried to get a life & look what happened. Of course they had to work him into the storyline some way and they didn't want another dead love interest. Nope, on second thought it's hard to see how he would have been ok as written.
          Last edited by jckfan55; 21 June 2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            If Pete had disappeared after his whiny scene the morning after, he might have been ok as an incident in Sam's life. Poor Sam tried to get a life & look what happened. Of course they had to work him into the storyline some way and they didn't want another dead love interest. Nope, on second thought it's hard to see how he would have been ok as written.
            Thanks for the good chuckle the above gave me. I like this scenario way better than what we got.

Comment

Yes I do.

Fixed that mistake. My brain sometimes shuts off on the weekends.

Still?!?! You must have quite the headache!

Had my list of honorable mentions included one time guest stars it would have been far longer...
              Shyla. Horrible. Just horrible. In general, but Daniel was *married*. You can see why I don't like shows like Desperate Housewives.

Anywho... it's nice that my irritation with S9/S10 has a nice coat of dust on it. Unfortunately, so did Mount St. Helen's.

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

If pete had died off somehow, it might have given him more meaning on the show.

Like... Sam's unwillingness to let her work go, proved to be what caused his death in the end. Making her double think herself at the end of the episode.

Cue the sad music, and we fade away from Sams sad face

Comment

Anywho... it's nice that my irritation with S9/S10 has a nice coat of dust on it. Unfortunately, so did Mount St. Helen's.
                  Pompei is more like it.
                  sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                  May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Shyla. Horrible. Just horrible. In general, but Daniel was *married*. You can see why I don't like shows like Desperate Housewives.
                    Shyla was terrible. I don't know how they thought we would sympathyse with a character who willingly got some one else addicted to "drugs" so he would marry her. . .

suse
                    Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                    Pompei is more like it.
                    And we all know what happened in both those cases.
                    *runs for cover*
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                      *wonders if suse has been sharing my mind again*
                      You, me, Jckfan55, and MandySG1. I'm sure others move in and out occasionally. It's very busy, isn't it?

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                      My thoughts exactly! It's funny how 4/5 are S9/10 characters.

Some of the point was he didn't belong. He was not part of the SGC. (In story: When you consider the rumor mill, that's probably a good thing. Anything Sam did would be considered "trying to get ahead through 'favors'"whether the officer was of the same rank or not.) At one point they were looking at Ben Brouder for the role... Pete suffered from poor writing. I honestly believe that a woman on staff in the writing/producer area would have been a plus here; she could have pointed out the obvious to many of us but not to TPTB stalking. :rolleyes

I think Ba'al fell victim to TPTB penchant for not knowing when enough is enough. If one visit from Ba'al is good, then 10 are better! If a little humor is good, making SG1 a comedy is better!
                      I have to disagree only with Osiris & Simmons. Simmons was a love to hate character who they used just enough. I thought Osiris was a good villain,(charmingly evil) [can't say I cared for Sarah Gardner] but if they had been able to get the actress back they probably would have ruined her like they did Ba'al.
                      Get *out* of my head!!!

The multiBaals were a horrible, horrible idea.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Pompei is more like it.
                        Hey!

Remember, I know where you live...

As if.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Shyla was terrible. I don't know how they thought we would sympathyse with a character who willingly got some one else addicted to "drugs" so he would marry her. . .
                          Well, they also thought a man using drugs on himself, but to affect others, so same concept to make people like him - enough for several women who formerly found him repugnant to marry him - was funny. Sooo. I guess the seeds were there all along.

On topic: So given a chance to introduce these characters the way you see fit, how would you introduce them? (We might need to stick more with the later seasons.)

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

You, me, Jckfan55, and MandySG1. I'm sure others move in and out occasionally. It's very busy, isn't it?

could you have inadvertently come upon an explanation for my migraines?

Well, great minds & all that...

As far as your question about how to intro one of the characters...

As for Vala, I'd start by erasing PU.

Comment

could you have inadvertently come upon an explanation for my migraines?

Well, great minds & all that...

As far as your question about how to intro one of the characters...

As for Vala, I'd start by erasing PU.
                              (**snorts and laughs**) I just noticed the initials for "Prometheus Unbound" ...

Part of that episode could be "erased", but I did like the secondary story with Hammond, Walter, Reynolds, Novak, etc. That part was pretty good.

Comment

Pompei is more like it.
                                And we all know what happened in both those cases.
                                *runs for cover*
                                That's right, Ashizuri, run.

Like you'll ever get far enough away!
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X