No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't really see them as insulting either, they were trying to be funny, but I can see how some might. They thought they were poking fun at all the cast, but I found that ending bit very tacky and not funny at all.

I wonder why though, when poking fun at every other bit of controversy, they chose not to include Vala, seeing as she was a very, very controversial addition to the show. Another example of Vala!Love or because her character really didn't impact the show in any meaningful way?

@ Hedwig: Those jokes fell rather flat to me. I didn't laugh once at the mockumentary.
    Last edited by Ashizuri; 08 June 2009, 12:27 PM. Reason: adding response to hedwig.
    Originally posted by Callista
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Originally posted by HPMom
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
      I didn't really see them as insulting either, they were trying to be funny, but I can see how some might. They thought they were poking fun at all the cast, but I found that ending bit very tacky and not funny at all.

I wonder why though, when poking fun at every other bit of controversy, they chose not to include Vala, seeing as she was a very, very controversial addition to the show. Another example of Vala!Love or because her character really didn't impact the show in any meaningful way?

@ Hedwig: Those jokes fell rather flat to me. I didn't laugh once at the mockumentary.
      To tell the truth, Ep 200 isn't my favorite. It had a few moments that I thought were mildly funny, but that's about it. I was just commenting on what was said by the actors and production people. I personally didn't think much of the puppet bit, but apparently a lot of other people loved it. And I really didn't think much of the whole "Wormhole X-treme" bits that were put into the ep; they left me feeling pretty much "oh, okay, if that's really what they think humor is....." But that's just me. And now that I'm thinking about it, there really weren't many bits at all that I did more than maybe smile at (more like yawned at).
      (**Wonders if there's something out of whack with my humor gene???**)

Comment

^Of course it would have been nice to have a *real* episode. And a team episode at that. Oh, dream on, jckfan.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          To tell the truth, Ep 200 isn't my favorite. It had a few moments that I thought were mildly funny, but that's about it. I was just commenting on what was said by the actors and production people. I personally didn't think much of the puppet bit, but apparently a lot of other people loved it. And I really didn't think much of the whole "Wormhole X-treme" bits that were put into the ep; they left me feeling pretty much "oh, okay, if that's really what they think humor is....." But that's just me. And now that I'm thinking about it, there really weren't many bits at all that I did more than maybe smile at (more like yawned at).
          (**Wonders if there's something out of whack with my humor gene???**)
          I sometimes wonder about my humor gene as well because while there were bits that made me smile, and I love the episode regardless, I didn't really find Window of Opportunity all that humorous.

As for Wormhole X-treme, I think Colonel Danning to be funny, but I love the actor portraying him so I'm slightly biased. Other than that, I didn't have any big love for any of the wormhole episodes. (Although, when Jack was acting as the USAF advisor in Wormhole X-Treme he was looking mighty fine in his class bs.)
          Last edited by Ashizuri; 08 June 2009, 01:11 PM.

Comment

From what I remember, the actor who plays Dr. Levant says something about wanting to leave the show to get back to his "theater roots" so he did some off-off-off-off broadway work and he also says he has to thank god for savedrlevant.com to help convince TPTB to take him back.

He's also a bit of a jerk to his assistant, or maybe it's a production assistant, but he does demand his $@!*&@ sandwhich.

I suppose those could be taken as insults. They also referenced no knowing what to do will the Munroe/Sam character and Jack/Danning just "phoning it in" towards the end.
            That is what I was referring to. Maybe I'm being a bit touchy but it just left me cold and a little irked. I liked the episode, but none of that part. And why not make fun of Cam and Vala at that part.

And while I'm complaining let me add this. I have the 10 season DVD collection. There is a booklet that lists all the episodes (which is quite nice), but when you open it there is a full page picture of the team, but it's the season 10 team and Jack isn't in it. The majority of the time it was Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c and it should be their picture on it. Phew, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
            sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

I sometimes wonder about my humor gene as well because while there were bits that made me smile, and I love the episode regardless, I didn't really find Window of Opportunity all that humorous.

As for Wormhole X-treme, I think Colonel Danning to be funny, but I love the actor portraying him so I'm slightly biased. Other than that, I didn't have any big love for any of the wormhole episodes. (Although, when Jack was acting as the USAF advisor in Wormhole X-Treme he was looking mighty fine in his class bs.)
              I thought Window of Opportunity was really fun.

In Wormhole Extreme I liked when Teal'c was the caterer. That part always cracks me up. Also like their faces at the beginning when they're watching the TV show.
              sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

*comes in and dusts off thread* "Achoooo", oops excuse me

I noticed on GW's home page, Darren listed his top five character intros, well I thought I'd give a bit of a different list

Top 5 Worst characters (according to me )

5. Anise, she was a character that came in to fill the 7 of 9, alien in skin tight out fit spot, that was forced upon TPTB by Skiffy Showtime.

4. Vala Mal Doran, she was a character that came in wearing a dominatrix outfit (s9), that was forced(?) upon TPTB by Skiffy. (I sense a theme here )
                *although I'm quite sure Cooper wanted her on the show full time too*

3. Dr. Lam, were there any good things about this character? I beleive even Lexa mentioned that Lam was such a cold character, she didn't like her
                (Correct me if I am wrong)

2. General Landry, he was supposed to be a seasoned general, but he kept making terrible decisions. Making an inexperienced rookie leader of SG1 is just one of those

1. Cam Mitchell, Cam 'Shaft' Mitchell, yep he gave us the shaft all right, with his inexperienced enthusiam put into a leader of the number 1 team This is the leader who doesn't know not to push the button, doesn't listen to his experienced team and runs straight into trouble (taking his team with him)...because you know, it's what SG1 does
                Last edited by Mandysg1; 20 June 2009, 03:43 PM. Reason: Got my networks mixed up :P
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

I noticed on GW's home page, Darren listed his top five character intros, well I thought I'd give a bit of a different list

5. Anise, she was a character that came in to fill the 7 of 9, alien in skin tight out fit spot, that was forced upon TPTB by Skiffy.

4. Vala Mal Doran, she was a character that came in wearing a dominatrix outfit (s9), that was forced(?) upon TPTB by Skiffy. (I sense a theme here )

3. Dr. Lam, were there any good things about this character? I beleive even Lexa mentioned that Lam was such a cold character, she didn't like her

2. General Landry, he was supposed to be a seasoned general, but he kept making terrible decisions. Making an inexperienced rookie leader of SG1 is just one of those

1. Cam Mitchell, Cam 'Shaft' Mitchell, yep he gave us the shaft all right, with his inexperienced enthusiam put into a leader of the number 1 team This is the leader who doesn't know not to push the button, doesn't listen to his experienced team and runs straight into trouble (taking his team with him)...because you know, it's what SG1 does
                  that's a list I can agree with though it wasn't Skiffy with Anise it was Showtime but the network mentality behind it was the same.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    that's a list I can agree with though it wasn't Skiffy with Anise it was Showtime but the network mentality behind it was the same.
                    Oops, I knew it was the network, just got the wrong one
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

5. Anise, she was a character that came in to fill the 7 of 9, alien in skin tight out fit spot, that was forced upon TPTB by Skiffy Showtime.

Hmmm. What can I say to this list but yep.

Intersting if Lexa didn't like Lam. I think she fell victim in part to the addding too many characters at once problem. And maybe in wanting her to be different from Janet, they gave her zero bedside manner.

Comment

Top 5 Worst Stargate Characters:
                        According to Ashizuri.

5. Cameron Mitchell. I have a love/hate relationship with Mitchell. I hate his intro, his naivete, and his recklessness. But I only hate these things because of who he is supposed to be. Had he been Major Mitchell the new recruit to the program everything I think is a flaw would have been believable and had me rooting for him. I am a Mitchell fan, but he makes the list becuase there are times in season 9 where I just want to smack him, but by season 10 he mellowed and started to fit better.

4. Narim. Really, his cheeriness drove me up the fricken' wall. My least favorite of Sam's suitors and a character that always ruins an episode for me. Always.

5. Ba'al. Ba'al is another character I have the love/hate relationship with. In Abyss he was amazing. Charming and suave and suitably terrifying. Season 8 was OK, but I was starting to feel like maybe we were seeing him to much. By season 10 he was basically declawed comedic reflief who was an honerary member of SG1. After Continuum, even though he was closer to his Abyss incarnation, I hope I never, ever see him again.

2. General Landry. I was very excited when I heard Beau Bridges was coming to SG. I love his work and thought he would be a great general. He wasn't. The only time Landry worked for me was Continuum.

1. Vala Mal Doran. For me, Vala was the worst character addition and the nail in the "Stargate is now cliche and no longer worth an hour of my time" coffin. I rarely found her funny, often found her insulting, and hated her effect on one of my most loved characters.

Honorable mentions to Sarah Gardiner/Osiris, Ishta, Oma Desala, Pete, Dr. Lam, Lt. Hailey, and Colonel Simmons, all of who annoy me greatly.

That was fun. I like lists.
                        Last edited by Ashizuri; 20 June 2009, 11:28 PM. Reason: correcting my goa'uld mistakes.

Comment

at the honorable mentions!

<sigh> See my location...

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

In no particular order (except #2 and #1)

* Anise I didn't like her, but really didn't even notice what she was wearing. Probably would have if it was leather. Not a horrible premise - I thought the goa-uld and host liking different people was funny - but really. Trying to copy 7 of 9? <sigh>

* Landry Poor guy, never had a chance with me after he made the LMAH lead of the team. Insulting Sam re:Orlin (implying she's a pedophile!!!) was the last straw. I did like him in Continuum. Jack was no Hammond either, but did he have to be, in his tern, a putz?

* Lam Daddy issues. And the Orlin thing, Daddy and his baby girl were in one accord there. <<sigh>>

2. Vala - She was in the number one spot for the first 6 eps of S9. I disliked her in S8 but was willing to revise that if she was less...too much... in S9. Oops. Disaster with a capital OMG. I actually liked her in parts of eps in the latter half of S10. You know, the parts that didn't ahve her attached to Daniel or vamping it up aggressively *or* passively.

1. Mitchell I just at first. Didn't find the interviews with hopefuls at all funny. I thought his position as team leader would go away when the team leader was back. Who would put a newbie in charge of people with that much experience? Oh. TPTB would. I struggled (and failed) to like him - except for fleeting moments - til episode 200. That was the end. No more trying. Odd, because as I said there were fleeting moments where I saw I might have liked him if he had been Major Mitchell under Sam. I hope I'd be big enough to feel that way for any character that was demoted for no reason. By Continuum, well, I own the movie and would like to watch it again, but I know that the Mitchell focus will just get me mad again. So I haven't.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Top 5 Worst Stargate Characters:
                              According to WishIwasJoes.

5. Cameron Mitchell. I tried really hard to like this guy. I swear! But so many close ups in his face and his eyes gave away his self doubt as an actor. Aside from getting it on with some chick, or getting his tail kicked, the rest of his acting really made me shudder. But I completely understand that its hard to come into a close net family and try and fit in.

4. General Landry. Not a fan of Mr. Bridges he is an actor who always has to be doing some task with his hands. And the way he talks and pauses makes me feel like he needs to breath deeper. I found him distracting and lacking the Real Man qualities that Don Davis had.

3. Dr. Lam. Her issues with her father were so boring. You're older now get over it and just admit that your parents are people too and make mistakes. Dear Lord! Also her bed side manner was so cold I was surprised she even helped people at all! It did seem like her and Cam might have something happen but then she dropped off the map. In any case I did not like her.

2. Pete. Not only did I not care if Sam had a life. I did not care for her taste in men. He was so nosey and clingly!

1. Gerak. Was not that sad to see him go up in flames.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
                              Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Honorable mentions to Sarah Gardiner/Anubis, Ishta, Oma Desala, Pete, Dr. Lam, Lt. Hailey, and Colonel Simmons, all of who annoy me greatly.
                                Do you mean Osiris?
                                sigpic
                                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Working...
                                X