No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We do have to keep in mind that the direction the show took in Season's 9 and 10 was a direct result of RDA having left the show and of Amanda Tapping being pregnant.

Sam wouldn't have been at Area 51 had Amanda not had time off to be with her newborn. Jack wouldn't have been in Washington if RDA hadn't left the show. And 'no offworld experience' Cam Mitchell wouldn't have been given command of SG-1.

So the writers did what they could (IMHO without adequate supervision in the form on the Exec producers - which were no longer RDA and MG) to salvage some semblance of the show we loved. Why they didn't give command back to Sam once they had planned for her to stay is anyone's guess.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
      Didn't Cam say that Jack told him he could be in charge of SG-1?

(That's how I remember it, but I might very well be mistaken. I haven't watched that episode in a while.)
      Nope. Jack told him he can have any post he wants after he gets better. We're talking about events that supposedly happened at the beginning of S8, when Jack was in charge of the SGC, and Sam was just promoted, so he never mentioned command of SG1. That was Landry decision.

In the previous post you mentioned that you don't get how Jack got to be a General... I ask myself the same thing about Landry. Cause putting a rookie in command of the premiere team was just the beginning of some very bad decisions for him.
      Last edited by jasminaGo; 29 January 2009, 02:21 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Nope. Jack told him he can have any post he wants after he gets better. We're talking about events that supposedly happened at the beginning of S8, when Jack was in charge of the SGC, and Sam was just promoted, so he never mentioned command of SG1. That was Landry decision.

In the previous post you mentioned that you don't get who Jack got to be a General... I ask myself the same thing about Landry. Cause putting a rookie in command of the premiere team was just the beginning of some very bad decisions for him.
        OK, thanks. Well, that obviously changes things.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          We do have to keep in mind that the direction the show took in Season's 9 and 10 was a direct result of RDA having left the show and of Amanda Tapping being pregnant.

Sam wouldn't have been at Area 51 had Amanda not had time off to be with her newborn. Jack wouldn't have been in Washington if RDA hadn't left the show. And 'no offworld experience' Cam Mitchell wouldn't have been given command of SG-1.

So the writers did what they could (IMHO without adequate supervision in the form on the Exec producers - which were no longer RDA and MG) to salvage some semblance of the show we loved. Why they didn't give command back to Sam once they had planned for her to stay is anyone's guess.
          TPTB had plenty of time, they knew Amanda was pregnant in S8 and RDA had been cutting his time down for a while, so this was no big surprise to them. They could have easily written Sam's absence more believably without having her give up command of SG1, which Sam had worked very hard for 7 years to get and having it in S8. I think they failed in S8 to show the 3 person team of SG1 and kept most of the stories centered around the SGC and Jack. When news coming in about the new team member for s9, they mentioned Major Mitchell...somewhere along the road he became a Lt. Col and leader of SG1

I think if they had kept him as a Major and had him learning from the best, he may have been more palatable to more fans.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            I think if they had kept him as a Major and had him learning from the best, he may have been more palatable to more fans.
            I don't disagree
            sigpic

Comment

a large part of the problem was, the writers WERE the producers.

they had no quality control (beyond scifi, you know, the guys that think wrestling is science fiction and the more boobs the better)

The writers/producers knew changes were coming. They knew Amanda was working on getting pregnant and that it'd happen when it happened, whether it be convenient to filming or not.

they knew rick was cutting back his time. he'd been doing it for years

they knew these things were coming, yet they did nothing to think ahead and, imho, acted like said changes were a massive inconvenience story wise.

IMHO, as soon as they experienced the kerfluffle that was MS leaving in s6 they should have started to work towards building up some minor and recurring characters to stand ready to step forward and take on a fuller role.

And i don't buy the 'we were renewed year to year' as an excuse. just because you didn' tknow for sure you were going to have a next season doesn't mean you can't think ahead for it and set up for it.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                a large part of the problem was, the writers WERE the producers.
                Don't disagree with anything you've said except the above.

The writers were not the executive producers (they make the decisions) for at least the first 8 seasons of SG-1. That role was exclusively RDA and MG. Regular producing credit, maybe, but not executive producers.
                sigpic

Comment

what i meant was, for s9 and 10, after rda and greenburg left, then the writers became the producers/exec producers

RDA and MG knew how to make an intelligent and witty show that respected both characters and fans

it's a talent the other guys never really developed
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

what i meant was, for s9 and 10, after rda and greenburg left, then the writers became the producers/exec producers

RDA and MG knew how to make an intelligent and witty show that respected both characters and fans

And I think it's quite telling, about comments made after RDA left was about being able to have fun now that he was gone.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                      Actually, I wasn't thinking of him doing it for malicious reasons, but more for sentimental or caring reasons of thinking of what's really best for the rest of his extremely close friends. Whether or not people view it that way would certainly be a matter of personal opinion....Which is better in the long run, pursuing your career but losing touch with your friends or staying in close contact with your friends but not advancing in your career? Neither one is clearly better for everyone. One is better for some people and the other is better for others.

But, now that you mention it, I never bought that Jack would get promoted to General because I think he does act quite childishly a lot of the time. At least from season seven onward. And once he was a General, he only got worse. (I'm not trying to bash Jack here. I like him just fine. I just don't think he's the best General in the world.)

Well, part of the idea was that he wasn't "taking command" from anyone. It was up to all of them to make the decision....and apparently they all decided to stay (at least after the big new threat came along), whether Jack had anything to do with it or not.

I don't follow you with Sam having two commands taken from her. I get the "drag her back to an unspecified role on SG-1" one, but what was the first that was taken?

Again, it's just an idea. I'm not saying that was what the writers were actually going for or anything, it's just something that occurred to me. Sorry if it upset you.
                      Last I checked Sam reported to Landry with "Reporting as ordered, Sir".

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

My guess isn't pretty or complimentary, so I'll leave it that that.

Several of the writers ARE EPs and should know better. It's not like the story doesn't come from their pens... though I'm willing to believe that some things were beyond their control, they had to work in Skiffy and MGM wants also. Still...
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Don't disagree with anything you've said except the above.

The writers were not the executive producers (they make the decisions) for at least the first 8 seasons of SG-1. That role was exclusively RDA and MG. Regular producing credit, maybe, but not executive producers.

Actually Coop started as a writer, worked his way thru associate producer and up to EP by S7.

Brad, a writer, was a creator and EP at the beginning. And he (uncredited) rewrote quite a few scripts in addition to his credited ones.

Mallozzi and Mullie were associate producers (if not full producers) by the time S9 rolled around.

I'm pretty sure even Damian Kindler had more that writer credited to him.

Peter Deluise was a producer also.

So yeah, I'd call the bulk of the writers, producers.

I think that was part of the problem. Someone with a step away from the process to say "Dude, this doesn't look wise."

They had that with Gekko - which also had experience with other shows. They didn't cut their producing teeth on this show.

JMHO, naturally.
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

It seems like I've been disagreeing with you more than normal this week but in this we totally agree!

And I think it's quite telling, about comments made after RDA left was about being able to have fun now that he was gone.
                            And it ruined the believability of the show for a great many people.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. When the writers are also the producers, there are no checks and balances. Sure, they have to run idea past the other writers, but there's nobody slightly removed from the process to seriously question things. It's too easy for groupthink to set in. RDA and Greenburg seemed to be the ones to ask the hard questions. "Is this getting too silly?" "Does this make sense?" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I agree with a lot of what has been said above. When the writers are also the producers, there are no checks and balances. Sure, they have to run idea past the other writers, but there's nobody slightly removed from the process to seriously question things. It's too easy for groupthink to set in. RDA and Greenburg seemed to be the ones to ask the hard questions. "Is this getting too silly?" "Does this make sense?" etc.
                                Someone I was chatting with tonight pointed out that in Rules of Engagement O'Neill smacked a soldier on his helmet when he went off half-cocked.

Not a bad idea.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Working...
                                X