Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    obviously Landry has never read it
    He also never read the "How to be aGood General for Dummies" hand book
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Command for Dummies

See, he thought it read Command OF Dummies, knew that the SGC was better than that, so gave it a pass
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Command for Dummies

See, he thought it read Command OF Dummies, knew that the SGC was better than that, so gave it a pass
        But Mitchell wasn't at Stargate Command yet.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Welcome to the Snarkfest.

Not that I don't agree fully...
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            He also never read the "How to be aGood General for Dummies" hand book
            He did read the Book of Platitudes & Stating the Obvious" though. "Teal'c is family." Bleh

Comment

the books Landry read were:

How To Be a Good Party Host
              Bird Calls for Dummies
              The A-2 leather Jacket as a Fashion Statement
              What Not to Wear Off World

The books Mitchell read were:

How to Be a Manly Leader for Dummies
              Cooking for Dummies
              How Grandma Stories Will Make You Look Competent
              How to Make Any Nerd Think You're Cool
              Never Call Your Buddy By His First Name
              Why I Earned This Promotion for Dummies
              How to Eat pie and Drive as the Same Time.
              Wheely Popping
              How to Lead a Military Team for Dummies

The Books Vala read were:

How to Seduce the Man of Your Dream 8th edition
              Dressing Stylish in Fatigues.
              What is Victoria's Secret
              How to Get an Archeologist to Think You're Cool
              How to Marry a Millionaire
              The Advantages of Adult Sex Toys
              First Thing I did Was Break his Glasses
              E-bay for Dummies
              How to sell Ancient Artifacts on e-bay
              Hair Styles for Young Ladies.

The Book Daniel Read:

How to Go From Nerd to Macho Man in 2 Seconds

The book Sam DIDN'T read was:

How to Say No to Idiots
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

they focused on creating the impossible and unsustainable

needed a male lead. of COURSE that male lead couldn't take orders from the little woman (especially a little woman that sooo inconvenienced them by daring to have a life and family), thus the male lead needed to be the boss. However he also needed to appeal to the young viewers - the only ones that skiffy cares about - so he needed to be young, but he needed to be the boss, but to boss Sam - a nearly 20 year veteran of the Air Force - he should have been older than her, but an older guy wouldn't do, cause he wouldn't appeal to the young.

thus they needed an oxymoron. a experienced leader with the rank and time in service to boss around a 20 year veteran that was also young and enthusiastic and fun.

they couldn't have it both ways, and seemed unable to admit that somethihng had to give and that they couldn't create someone that fit all those requirements, because they are mutually exclusive

so they ignored the logic and instead made Cameron, a character of contradictions. And they had such a poor grasp of what he was and what he needed to be that he litrally changed from episode to episode, often little more than a plot device to make shoddily written and quickly cranked out template episodes work.

Ben did the best he could with thee situation he was tossed into, but the character of cameron was fatally flawed from his creation.
                Having it both ways simply wasn't a feasible option, not under the circumstances. The only way that they can be justified in having an inexperienced leader is when there is no other option but to have an inexperienced leader. Had it been a situation like the first season of Atlantis, when the ranking military officer was killed and they were cut off from Earth, then even though Sheppard was only a major and would not have been a candidate for command under other circumstances, he was drafted into the role. At the beginning of Season Nine, there were plenty of experienced, qualified officers available as potential leaders of SG-1 - one of them was even reassigned to the team! - so having inexperienced Mitchell in charge was stupid.

It's just common sense. If you have experienced, qualified candidates available, then barring nepotism or similar, there's no logical reason why you would opt for the inexperienced, unqualified candidate instead, especially in a situation like that, which can and quite frequently does become a matter of life and death.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  /Me is amused.

sg-1 novel Do No Harm:
                  ROFL.
                  Spoiler:
                  Hammond says that he wouldn't even bring in a fully-trained black -ops Colonel without sending him out with a team first.

The books out in the car. I'll quote it directly tomorrow. I was howling with laughter.

suse
                  Spoiler:
                  Hammond is sensible. Clearly, the same cannot be said of Landry.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

You could argue that Landry was hamstrung by the IOA, but I can't see Hammond putting up with the stupidity the way Landry did. For example, having Carter use Arthur's device on the planet clearly before she was ready. Hammond may have pushed, but he ultimately trusted his people and backed them to the hilt. (I miss Hammond.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                      The Books Vala read were:

How to Seduce the Man of Your Dream 8th edition
                      Dressing Stylish in Fatigues.
                      What is Victoria's Secret
                      How to Get an Archaeologist to Think You're Cool
                      How to Marry a Millionaire
                      The Advantages of Adult Sex Toys
                      First Thing I did Was Break his Glasses
                      E-bay for Dummies
                      How to sell Ancient Artifacts on e-bay
                      Hair Styles for Young Ladies.
                      In spoilers for questionable taste and innuendo. Because it's not everyone's piece of cake. But it's right up RCC's alley.
                      Spoiler:
                      As opposed to children's sex toys?

You know, this was obviously a missed opportunity for TPTBs. Sure there were pink fuzzy handcuffs, but surely a vibrator would have been a better joke than a hair dryer. I can see Vala carrying one with her off world. Can't you?

I obviously wouldn't have been able to write for seasons 9 and 10 because I don't see the obviously universal enjoyment of frat boy humor.
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        You could argue that Landry was hamstrung by the IOA, but I can't see Hammond putting up with the stupidity the way Landry did. For example, having Carter use Arthur's device on the planet clearly before she was ready. Hammond may have pushed, but he ultimately trusted his people and backed them to the hilt. (I miss Hammond.)
                        There's no way Hammond ever would have sent SG-1 out like that after Sam said the machine wasn't ready. Jack would have pitched a fit as well. I can just hear Jack's rant about risking the life of the national treasure who has not only managed to save Earth a time or two but is also way smarter than anyone in the IOA. Hammond's refusal would have been a little less colorful (and LOUD) than Jack's but no less firm.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          /Me is amused.

sg-1 novel Do No Harm:
                          ROFL.
                          Spoiler:
                          Hammond says that he wouldn't even bring in a fully-trained black -ops Colonel without sending him out with a team first.

The books out in the car. I'll quote it directly tomorrow. I was howling with laughter.

suse
                          Is that a good or bad thing?

Anyway, I just though I'd mention I saw "Avalon, part 1" last Friday, or, more accurately, I tried to watch part of it. All that Arthurian scholck ... ugh.

(Did anyone pay attention to my criticism of said story basis earlier in the thread?)

Anyway, I also read up on the (relatively) recent Brad Wright interview, "Breaking the Ice." With his comments about Continuum being an "old-time" SG story and going back to rework "Children of the Gods," it seems that while Cooper wants to go into the wild world of Earth being uber-powerful (Ark of Truth, lots of intergalactic warships), Ori and all that, Brad wants to return to a time when the aliens were actually a serious threat against Earth, and had a Near Eastern flair.

Then again, he said that "Stargate Universe" was a good idea for a TV show. Nobody's perfect.

Comment

I much prefer Brad's take on things than RCC's. I expect to enjoy Continuum more than I did Ark of Truth.

As far as Stargate Universe is concerned, I don't know nearly enough about it to condemn it out of hand, but I'm not waiting on tenterhooks for it either.
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                              In spoilers for questionable taste and innuendo. Because it's not everyone's piece of cake. But it's right up RCC's alley.
                              Spoiler:
                              As opposed to children's sex toys?

You know, this was obviously a missed opportunity for TPTBs. Sure there were pink fuzzy handcuffs, but surely a vibrator would have been a better joke than a hair dryer. I can see Vala carrying one with her off world. Can't you?

I obviously wouldn't have been able to write for seasons 9 and 10 because I don't see the obviously universal enjoyment of frat boy humor.
                              Yep, Vala with an adult toy instead of the hair dryer would bring more laughs...but then it wouldn't be a family show.

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                              I much prefer Brad's take on things than RCC's. I expect to enjoy Continuum more than I did Ark of Truth.

As far as Stargate Universe is concerned, I don't know nearly enough about it to condemn it out of hand, but I'm not waiting on tenterhooks for it either.
                              I have no interest in it! Wish I did...but after viewing what the current tptb think is actually good and ground breaking...nah, don't think I want to torture myself with it.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                                I have no interest in it! Wish I did...but after viewing what the current tptb think is actually good and ground breaking...nah, don't think I want to torture myself with it.
                                Continuum is a good movie, thousand times better that that idiotic AoT
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X