S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and the aliens will all be humanoids that speak english

they need to check out dr who. now they know how to make alien looking aliens
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      this is why i dohn't have much hope for Universe. It'll follow the same formula.

cocky, irreverant and young male leader
      pretty and sexy female, probably an alien
      silent muscle, possibly an alien
      irritating and socially inept geeky scientist

With a few supporting characters tossed in (that will, sadly enough, likley be more developed and popular simply because tptb will just let them evolve instead of forcing them. ATlantis syndrome...where the main characters are cliches and the supporting characters have depth because tptb ignore forcing them along a path and simply let htem develop)

Add to this the requisit space ship (lord forbid they continue something original like the round spinny thing) and the inevitable rewriting of old stories, the show is doomed simply because there will be little to noting new about it.

It'll just be an endless re-run. Or relatively endless because i doubt it'll last beyond 3 seasons or so.
      and the worst thing of all...powerful enemy, Ancient superweapon
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        and the worst thing of all...powerful enemy, Ancient superweapon
        "Ancient" has become like a swear word for me. Usually used in a sentence like: "And then they had the *&%@! *&%$@! Ancient device"

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          "Ancient" has become like a swear word for me. Usually used in a sentence like: "And then they had the *&%@! *&%$@! Ancient device"
          Yep, nothing like over using a plot device.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            Yep, nothing like over using a plot device.
            I like the way how they dealt with Anubis in Lost city. It was cool. But later, dakara weapon, holy grail and that idiotic box

it's still the same, lazy and bad writing. If they're not creating magical superweapons, they're creating stupid sotires about time-travel
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              I like the way how they dealt with Anubis in Lost city. It was cool. But later, dakara weapon, holy grail and that idiotic box

it's still the same, lazy and bad writing. If they're not creating magical superweapons, they're creating stupid sotires about time-travel
              Stargate thinks it's Harry Potter:

magic reset button (time travel)

magic wands of all sizes...alien weapons that is so complicated we couldn't build it ourselves but carter or mckay can easily work.

magic doors to other realms (gate)

Magically being removed from dangerous situations with bright blue light. (asgard beam)

babies that are either prophets or grow like weeds on steroids and have the 'ancient" knowledge.

The bad guy has the power of god and thinks it is god...mostly.

Just missing the giant spider, giant snake and talking trees.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

magic wands of all sizes...alien weapons that is so complicated we couldn't build it ourselves but carter or mckay can easily work.

Magically being removed from dangerous situations with bright blue light. (asgard beam)

babies that are either prophets or grow like weeds on steroids and have the 'ancient" knowledge.

That's saved for SG:Universe-don't you go divulge their plan!

Comment

yeah, atack of the killer CGI, the 'savior' of many a poor writing
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    yeah, atack of the killer CGI, the 'savior' of many a poor writing
                    I've got nothing against CGI as the icing on the cake of an already good film/show/whatever, but I hate it when its used as a crutch for a poorly written story.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                      I've got nothing against CGI as the icing on the cake of an already good film/show/whatever, but I hate it when its used as a crutch for a poorly written story.
                      yeah, but many people actually prefer lots of cgi than a good stories. And even now, some people are complaining about Babylon 5 and its CGI. For one thing, this show is 10 years(even more) old, but it has the best characters, stories, powerful enemies (more like the Ancients and the Ori) I've ever seen. And Stargate and its writing is nothing compared to this great show
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        I think Martin Wood & maybe Jim Menard have commented on commentaries about how people watch for a good story & the visuals are to help tell the story. That's my feeling.

Comment

No dissing Harry Potter! At least the first several books. The jury is still on on the last two.

TPTB wish they could write as well as JK Rowling.... I might not like the direction she took, but at least her story *made sense*.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            No dissing Harry Potter! At least the first several books. The jury is still on on the last two.

TPTB wish they could write as well as JK Rowling.... I might not like the direction she took, but at least her story *made sense*.

suse
                            Yeah, adhering to your story canon does wonders for creating solid stories. Thinking things through on multiple levels and making sure everything works together does wonders for creating solid stories. Writing believable and fleshed out characters instead of two dimensional caricatures does wonders for creating solid stories. Writing without insulting your audience's intelligence does wonders for creating solid stories.

Too bad the boys at Bridge can't be bothered to pay attention to basic writing techniques, they may have been able to continue to tell good stories with wonderful characters instead we got the dismal performers Seasons 9 & 10.

Even when they get plenty of money and time (DVD movies) they still manage to put in flimsy story lines. I say send 'em back to writing school to reacquire a few basic skills and create a Show Bible!!!!!!
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                              Yeah, adhering to your story canon does wonders for creating solid stories. Thinking things through on multiple levels and making sure everything works together does wonders for creating solid stories. Writing believable and fleshed out characters instead of two dimensional caricatures does wonders for creating solid stories. Writing without insulting your audience's intelligence does wonders for creating solid stories.

Too bad the boys at Bridge can't be bothered to pay attention to basic writing techniques, they may have been able to continue to tell good stories with wonderful characters instead we got the dismal performers Seasons 9 & 10.
                              I know it's easy for us to criticize--we didn't have to crank out 40 episodes a season-- but these are supposed to be professionals, not fanfic writers.

Even when they get plenty of money and time (DVD movies) they still manage to put in flimsy story lines.
                              AOT-- prime case of a writer being so in love with his idea, he can't see any problems with it. Not to mention the belief that he is a director.
                              The *attempt* at epic was so obviously *trying* for it, it was cringeworthy, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

suse
                                The jury over here is still wondering what happened with the last two books. They fear the movies destroyed the books (or were a catalyst, at any rate).

As for Stargate, just a couple of quick observations from a guy trained to work in movies, currently working in games as an artist:

1. A show bible would have done wonders. The Okudas might be OCD about the Trek Technical Manuals, but that level of dedication is a good thing.

2. SFX are completely unnecessary to tell a good story. Period. This, coming from a guy who would be making his living on said SFX were he working for Bridge. Tell a good story with good characters, and SFX can enhance the experience (but it's not guaranteed), but the world's best SFX can't save a crummy story.
                                Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                                http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Working...
                                X