Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 will have a season 10. Suppousedly, Ben Browder was contracted for two seasons, and the other actors have voiced their willingness to stay. The show pulls in good ratings, and the audiences for syndication and the scifi channel are steady with DVD sales starting to attract attention.

The people at SciFi probably realize that many people tune in for all three shows, or at least the first two. They wouldn't create a void in front of Atlantis where we might find other Friday night line ups to watch before catching Atlantis later in the evening. They want us there on Friday nights, and the Stargate Franchise and BSG have been making the critics notice SciFi as network. Yes, they have been stupid before, but cancelling SG-1 at this point would be network suicide. In anger and because of no new shows, many fans would turn to their DVDs. They wouldn't need Monday nights or the 6:00 broadcast either. SciFi would lose ratings on numerous nights and in several demagraphics of viewers. They can't afford that.

There is also the anger and resentment over former shows for them to consider. Farscape fans began boycotting SciFi, and angry Dead Like Me fans have hurt Showtime. If they anger the majority of SG-1 fans, they risk weakening Atlantis and BSG. While I enjoy Atlantis, it isn't strong enough to hold Friday night . . . yet. It's growing. The same goes for BSG. Admittedly, I do not care for it and don't watch, but the show has a following, but I'm not sure that its ratings would hold if some fans were not already tuned into SciFi on Friday nights.

So far, I have enjoyed Season 9. Stargate has suffered off years before and recovered for those uncertain about the team's dynamic. Personally, Season 6 makes me cringe, but it set up essential plot elements that made Season 8 wonderful. Others didn't care for Season 7, but again, it established plot lines that led to a wonderful Season 8. The Ori storyline will develop with time, and the team will also mesh if fans give the show the space it needs to evolve. In just one more year, SciFi can claim it has the longest running scifi show in America, and their network needs all the help it can get. They would have to be idiotic to cancel SG-1. We'll get to see if Daniel will ever end up beating a Prior with his own staff.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Well, I'm just going to say that I agree with those who say SG-1 will most likely manage a season 10. The way the show is still going, I can even see it running a few years longer.

Comment

The ratings are definately good in the US and are equally good here in the UK, perhaps better, I think that (despite my views on some other threads which I no longer believe)the SciFi chnnel (and Sky One) would definately keep showing the series for another year and perhaps longer, we may rech 12 seasons before the show is put to rest. MGM will most likely keep going, and episode 200 yeah I can't wait, check out the thread I statred, there are some great ideas on there.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I think the article linked by the original poster does not reference stargate sg1 because its probably stating the obvious that a show thats gone 9 years will probably go another.

The article was about sci-fi showing faith in their new shows, the whole point was to show that fact. It doesnt take a lot of faith on sci-fi's part to state that a show thats been going for 9 years will go for a 10th, therefore a comment on sg1 wouldnt be needed, whereas for atlantis and bsg, they are new and unproven shows.
          Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
          Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
          Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
          Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
          Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

They are making a ton of money with the DVD's.......yup!
            Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

I think S10 is a certainty. As some others have pointed out, it would be great PR for Skiffy to have the longest-running sci-fi show in the history of television. The Stargate universe is well-established and well known. DVD sales add to the profits. I don't know if it'll go past 10 years, but I believe S10 will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
                I think the article linked by the original poster does not reference stargate sg1 because its probably stating the obvious that a show thats gone 9 years will probably go another.

The article was about sci-fi showing faith in their new shows, the whole point was to show that fact. It doesnt take a lot of faith on sci-fi's part to state that a show thats been going for 9 years will go for a 10th, therefore a comment on sg1 wouldnt be needed, whereas for atlantis and bsg, they are new and unproven shows.
                Agreed. The article isn't a reflection on SG1. If they cancelled SG1 and kept Atlantis, I would continue to watch Atlantis but I'd have no reason to continue to watch scifi. They have little enough of my respect as it is.

So far as I can see It would be ridiculous to cancel any of their series without a replacement and even then it's not a good idea. It's not as if they're known for any other quality programs.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  ...it would be great PR for Skiffy to have the longest-running sci-fi show in the history of television.
                  Actually Doctor Who is the oldest Sci-Fi, its had hundreds of episodes and about 20 seasons, plus a new one in February, with the tenth actor to play the title role, David Tennant

BRING BACK CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I hope to be still watching these three friday night shows years from now. It may not work out that way, but I'm going to keep the faith.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I honestly believe SG-1 will have a Season 10.

I can't see why it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                        Actually Doctor Who is the oldest Sci-Fi, its had hundreds of episodes and about 20 seasons, plus a new one in February, with the tenth actor to play the title role, David Tennant

OT but Christiopher Eccleston choose to leave Doctor Who
                        sigpic

Comment

IMHO, there is no way that they are going to cancel SG1. Don't they have 4 hours of re-runs on Monday nights?

What could they even think of replacing it with?

Nope....not going to happen.

Besides.....it's still got good ratings. Good enough for skiffy.

Granted.....so did Farscape, so maybe anything is possible.

But, I'm betting on SG1.
                          Susan
                          newbie to gateworld.......total scaper
                          and........ now a.....(excuse the term) .....a..... FARGATER.....

Yeah.......Cameron Mitchell

Ben Browder Fan!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod

The classic Doctor Who series ran for 26 seasons (1963-1989).
                            The new Doctor Who series has been picked up for a second and third season in the U.K..

But the Star Trek franchise had 28 seasons (five different series) and a higher total running time.

So, Star Trek holds the franchise records, while classic Doctor Who holds the single series record for science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaussian
                              IMHO, there is no way that they are going to cancel SG1. Don't they have 4 hours of re-runs on Monday nights?

What could they even think of replacing it with?
                              5 hours of re-runs?

Even if they cancel SG-1 they still have the rights to the reruns. 194 hour long episodes will do skiffy nicely.

Unless they find something better (or cheaper) I think (unfortunately) it's a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                                The classic Doctor Who series ran for 26 seasons (1963-1989).
                                The new Doctor Who series has been picked up for a second and third season in the U.K..

But the Star Trek franchise had 28 seasons (five different series) and a higher total running time.

So, Star Trek holds the franchise records, while classic Doctor Who holds the single series record for science fiction.
                                Stargate will be the longest running Scifi series in the U.S. next year because there will be another season. Right now we are tide for first with X-files.
                                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                                X