Singularity (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
    As requested by GateGipsy, here's my review/ramblings on this episode: Singularity
    thanks! Will bookmark to read when finish work.
    sigpic

Comment

I certainly got rather furious with the whole if it's science then Jack can't know anything about it thing by Season 7. Like some guy who has his own telescope won't get how to use one all of a sudden (but was quite competent at using a whole observatory just a few years before).
      Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      Here's the thing: my analysis of why I like it isn't going to help you like it. I'm not you, and you're not me. I will say that one of the things I like about it is Jack as a competent leader and not a buffoon (as he sometimes was in the later years). Humor has not yet taken precedence over competency.

Seaboe
      sigpic

Comment

The episode in which O'Neill shows he's smarter than he makes himself look. Loved Daniel's surprised What did you just say?... ...and initially he didn't spy on the neighbors. I have to say having a telescope myself, it's very tempting not to.

Nirrti's really bad-ass, and yet she'll make it into my favorite Goa'uld-list nonetheless.

Random note to the pyrotechnics crew: you should hide where you buried your explosions better cause the crater was there before the deathglider had even hit the ground. But I noticed only once.

Carter's pretty good with kids (must be cause she's an auntie). I like how Daniel was right there, offering his help and telling her she isn't alone (kinda a mirror scene to the one in season 5's Rite of Passage where he pretty much says the same to Fraiser).

Of course Janet's gonna keep Cassandra -- there's no one more qualified (no outsider anyway). However, I sincerely hope she doesn't have to count allergic to dogs to her already extensive allergy-collection. The every-kid-has-to-have-a-dog-rule might not go over well.

Btw, that dog looked really fluffy, though he was shedding hair by the gazillion if Jack's shirt was any indication.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I forgot to watch an episode last week, forgive me. Season 1, disk 4.

I've always liked this episode. I like enthusiastic Daniel and Sam, I like the way Sam ties her scientific curiosity to the deaths, I like how amazingly (unbelievably) fast Teal'c learns to use the controls of the telescope, I like the camera work on the wait for the explosion that never comes.

I also think Sam's explanation for why she thought it would be safe to go back to Cassandra is a wonderful piece of after the fact justification. I think what she initially told Jack "Sir, she's awake" is the real reason--she would rather die than leave that poor child alone. The business about knowing nothing would happen was a way of justifying her actions.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I was surprised how real this episode got towards the end when Sam took the girl deep underground. I was thinking to myself how dark the show had turned, but in a "real" way that made me think what I'd do in a similar situation.
            I'm doing a first watch (sometimes rewatch) of the series and I don't know the first season well at all. I was expecting a lot more fluffy feel-good stuff than I'm getting which is good. I like the surprise.

Comment

It is a good episode, but I don’t like it, I really don’t know even why. Maybe is just too big emotional drama for me. I like the smart Jack.

Comment

Good episode. Although I didn't buy that Sam Carter motherly type. She just seemed to young then and too much of a soldier. Also liked smart Jack.

Comment

I really like smart Jack.

Pretty good episode, very dramatic.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
                    Good episode. Although I didn't buy that Sam Carter motherly type. She just seemed to young then and too much of a soldier. Also liked smart Jack.
                    I think we see she is a little uncomfortable with Cassandra at first but then really becomes attached to her. I thought that fit with what we knew about Carter so far.

Comment

Nice personal interactions, far beyond military rules.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

DANIEL So, how sure were you really?
                        CARTER I can't explain it, Daniel; I just knew.
                        TEAL'C Mother's instinct, perhaps.
                        CARTER (Grins.) Subtle, but no. Dr. Fraiser is going to take her until we can find qualified parents.

What did Teal'c mean by "mother's instinct"? Did Carter have a kid in the past that she gave up for adoption or something? Perhaps she had one with Jonas Hanson? Doesn't Carter's "subtle" response imply that?

Comment

Teal'c's just referring to the age old idea that women have a "mother's instinct" when it comes to children.

I consider it old-fashioned thinking, but that's me.

maternal instinct: "the natural tendency that a mother has to behave or react in a particular way around her child or children"

IMO, it was always implied that the job came first with Carter, so no children past or present (or future).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Teal'c's just referring to the age old idea that women have a "mother's instinct" when it comes to children.

I consider it old-fashioned thinking, but that's me.

maternal instinct: "the natural tendency that a mother has to behave or react in a particular way around her child or children"

IMO, it was always implied that the job came first with Carter, so no children past or present (or future).
                            But the very definition that you provided states that it's an instinct that women who are already mothers have.

Comment

The assumption is that all women have it, whether or not they're mothers. Teal'c is saying that being exposed to Cassandra has brought it out in Carter.

It's sexism, is what it is, disguised as tradition. Not that TPTB would consider it that.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                                The assumption is that all women have it, whether or not they're mothers. Teal'c is saying that being exposed to Cassandra has brought it out in Carter.

It's sexism, is what it is, disguised as tradition. Not that TPTB would consider it that.
                                What SB said.

Comment

Working...
                                X