No announcement yet.

Singularity (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB--is that me? It's nice better than SM (please don't call me that), thank you.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      SB--is that me? It's nice better than SM (please don't call me that), thank you.
      Wanted to refer to you as Boe first but didn't... though SM didn't make the list.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The assumption is that all women have it, whether or not they're mothers. Teal'c is saying that being exposed to Cassandra has brought it out in Carter.

It's sexism, is what it is, disguised as tradition. Not that TPTB would consider it that.

Seaboe
        If this is true how can the behaviour of many female mammals be explained which 'adopt' orphaned young ones without having babies themselves then - they don't know anything about sexism or traditions, do they?
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
          If this is true how can the behaviour of many female mammals be explained which 'adopt' orphaned young ones without having babies themselves then - they don't know anything about sexism or traditions, do they?
          Except we're talking about humans - not animals.

It's blatant sexism. You obviously don't see it that way, but I and Seaboe do. So, I wonder, how's your maternal instinct? Do you have kids? Are you planning on having kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Except we're talking about humans - not animals.

It's blatant sexism. You obviously don't see it that way, but I and Seaboe do. So, I wonder, how's your maternal instinct? Do you have kids? Are you planning on having kids?
            We belong to the mammals, we've not come from a higher plane of existence - so why do you deny humans those basis genetic heritage? Are we so different that we, the human beings, do nothing that we cannot control or plan? No, much in us is ordered by genetics and there are differences between males and females - at least the females carry out the infants, this fact alone implies that there are genes for motherly behaviour. That's not sexism.
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

That's not sexism.
              It is when a man automatically assumes maternal instinct is inherint in every woman.

Sexism explained:

Sexism or gender discrimination is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender. Sexism can affect any gender, but it is particularly documented as affecting women and girls. It has been linked to stereotypes and gender roles, and may include the belief that one sex or gender is intrinsically superior to another.
              And I see you ignored my questions about your maternal instinct. Going by your username, I assume you are a woman so how's the maternal instinct going for you? What time is it on your biological clock? Not ticking yet or gone past kid two-point-oh?

Note: another question I'm fairly certain not every woman likes to hear every time the conversation turns to having children.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                It is when a man automatically assumes maternal instinct is inherint in every woman.

Sexism explained:

And I see you ignored my questions about your maternal instinct. Going by your username, I assume you are a woman so how's the maternal instinct going for you? What time is it on your biological clock? Not ticking yet or gone past kid two-point-oh?

Note: another question I'm fairly certain not every woman likes to hear every time the conversation turns to having children.
                First: I know what sexism is (I own an appropriate dictionary - two actually).
                Second: A female's genetics is bound to the ability of reproduction - it can't get lost (yes,there is crossing-over and gene deletion).
                Third: Since it's not me in Singularity my motherly instincts are not the point here - but, yes, I do have them, I do have them a lot!!!
                Evolution brought us humans to the peak of the mammals (so it's said) but evolution did not erase basic traits embedded in
                the genetic making - females are different than males.
                Proof the opposite and the next Nobel Prize will be yours.
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

But it has nothing to do with genetics. I'm female too and I have no maternal instincts whatsoever. My clock's battery has been empty since the day I was born.

So there... your turn again.

Comment

I'm a female and have a strong nurturing instinct for animals but really don't care for children. I'd risk my life to save a child's life but other than that I'd rather not interact with them.

Comment

The reason the assumption about Carter's maternal instincts is sexism is because Teal'c asks that only of the female in the group. He does not ask any of the men about their paternal instincts.

You may say all women have a biological imperative for reproduction and subsequent care of the resulting offspring, and that it is simply biology. Why don't you say the same about men? It's in their biology, too.

What makes it sexism is the assumption that only women (and all women) have it, without a corresponding assumption that men do, too.

ETA: Assumptions that only men have instincts (violence, e.g.) without a corresponding assumption that women do is also sexism. Not "reverse" sexism (there is no such thing), just sexism.

Seaboe
                      Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 20 October 2015, 11:01 AM.
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Although in Teal'c's defense, Carter DID get incredibly attached to Cassie, far more than any of the guys. Which is why I wondered if Carter perhaps had a kid in her past who she gave up and was unconsciously trying to replace with Cassie.

Comment

Yes, she did get attached. And if he'd asked if Carter's attachment to the girl might lead to adoption, I wouldn't consider it sexist. But he didn't (or, rather, TPTB didn't). He queried her instincts instead.

Seaboe

Comment

The reason the assumption about Carter's maternal instincts is sexism is because Teal'c asks that only of the female in the group. He does not ask any of the men about their paternal instincts.

You may say all women have a biological imperative for reproduction and subsequent care of the resulting offspring, and that it is simply biology. Why don't you say the same about men? It's in their biology, too.

What makes it sexism is the assumption that only women (and all women) have it, without a corresponding assumption that men do, too.

Seaboe
                            Teal'c didn't have any reason to ask one of his male team mates because none of them cared as much as Carter for the girl!!! If Jackson had stayed with her maybe he would have asked him the appropriate question.

Men can't give birth, that's a fact - so there is an undebatable difference between men and women. Newly born mammals can't survive without their mother so a 'mother' must have special instincts not to abandon their offspring. These instincts are always there they only have to be triggered - men don't have these, they can't let the babies suckle.
                            These instincts are not equally developed - some women may lack them but that's not the rule
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

Men can't give birth, that's a fact - so there is an undebatable difference between men and women. Newly born mammals can't survive without their mother so a 'mother' must have special instincts not to abandon their offspring. These instincts are always there they only have to be triggered - men don't have these, they can't let the babies suckle.
                              These instincts are not equally developed - some women may lack them but that's not the rule
                              You know that hole you're digging - you're halfway to China by now.

Comment

I'm still confused about the exchange between Teal'C and Carter. Did Carter say "Subtle, but no" because Teal'C was hinting (or she assumed he was hinting) that she should be the one to adopt Cassie? It would make sense, since right after that she said that Janet was taking her.

Comment

Working...
                                X