The Nox (107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
    Decent episode....although there was that infuriating 'You're too young a species for us to POSSIBLY ever deign ourselves to communicate with you yadda yadda yadda...'
    I think you are mixing episodes with Enigma and Nox with Tollan I don't really understand the fury about Nox way of communicating with Sg1. They were extremely polite. yes they told us we are young, but hell, they done it with utmost politeness.
    How would you feel if someone comes into your house blasting guns and arrows completely ignoring you and trying to 'help' you.
    besides they never said that they we would not be worthy of communicating with them later on. Later episodes show that Nox had hopes for us, sure Maybourne f**ed everything up, but there was no: No way, talk to a hand.

And seeing as how SG1 DID save them from the Goa'uld (it was never established that the Nox could have easily batted away the attack....I assume that they could have but since they didn't....) you would have thought that they would have snuck a 'thank you' in there at some point but I must have missed it during the 'shoving SG1 back towards the Door' part.
    If I remember correctly it was Nox who saved entire SG1 from death and what did they get in return? Little battlefield in their back yard.
    Also, instead of 'shoving out the door' SG1 like they done to Apophis Nox showed the team that there is nothing to worry about and that humans have to learn a lot. I think that was a sign that all is not lost with humans and one day maybe they will meet again and be worthy of alliance. I suppose this is more than a 'thank you' from them as they did not dismiss us as hopeless race.
    sigpic

Comment

Let's Rehash. The Nox is an average SG-1 episode, which is common for early SG-1 episodes because they were still trying to figure out how to do this show.

The episode was written by Hart Hanson, the man who gave us Bones.

Tomorrow's episode is an episode the producers apparently want to ignore happened. It's called "Hathor," and I haven't seen it in a while.
      sigpic

Comment

i love the cheese of hathor...and if anyone wants to ignore it it's probably because the boys do not come out of it looking good
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

SG Rewatch episodes: 101 - 105, 106, 107, 109, 110, 111, 112

The Nox

I liked this episode. It was fanciful and unusual for the team to encounter woodland fairies who weren't nearly as helpless as they appeared. But the plotting bothered me.

The plot seemed strained, starting out with the White House dignitary marvelling over the Stargate. Then the next minute he's gone for the SG-1's jugular with a critical put down of the operation. Teal'c speaks into the argument with intel on an invisible creature, and whoosh, off they go to the magical kingdom of The Nox.

This episode began for me once the team stepped from the gate and turned around to see the Stargate had disappeared. The other SGC stuff was probably necessary narrative for the series, reminding the viewers that all their adventures so far haven't moved them toward completing their mission. It just seems misplaced here. Because after yet another fine mess they get out of, they make more friends who will promptly bury their 'Gate once the team leaves. Empty handed. Wonder how that debriefing went. We don't know because the episode doesn't revisit that high conflict, earlier scene.

Peter Williams as Apophis is just such an excellent villain. He's almost dainty next to his Jaffa yet clearly he's in command. Gotta love his sunny armor, too. I'm glad he hung around through the series; as SG-1's nemesis there was always excitement when he was around.

Also, I recall in the earliest viewings that fans were agog that Sam and Daniel left cover when Jack was hit by Apophis' staff blast. After looking at this scene again, I could posit that the writers sacrificed common sense so that the team could die and The Nox could show their magical powers.

Favorite lines:

After the team is restored:
          Daniel: I think they're a family.
          Jack: Of what?
          Daniel: I have no idea.

When Nafrayu gushes over Sam:
          Jack: No, you can't keep him. I always smile at RDA's dry delivery and Sam's expression. OMG! This is one of Sam's admirers who died! Gasp!

Embarking on the search for Nafrayu:
          Jack: I told him to go home.
          Nox: I told you the same. The very young do not always do what they are told.
          This line becomes a sub-theme throughout much of the series and I just love knowing how it got started.

Other stuff:
          • Nice touch that the Nox man was intrigued by the team's concern for them. Apparently he decides that SG-1 can be trusted and reveals his floating, modern city. The team scores points with them after all.

• Showed how far SG-1 will go to protect others, especially if they may have accidentally put them in harm's way. Great solidarity as they (misguidedly, IMO) went after Apophis then regrouped to protect The Nox.

• So, what was this Nox family doing in the woods, so far from their floating city? I reasoned that they were on a getting-back-to-nature trip. Maybe a ritual to introduce young Nafrayu to the origins of his culture or something.

• Teal'c apparently is a good teacher since they never caught Shak'yl. But I hope he didn't teach the youngling to stab an opponent when his back was turned. Later we learn that kind of thing is against the Jaffa code or whatever they have.

• SG-1's early missions were devoid of helpful technology - so frustrating!

I looked forward to seeing how these gentle folk fared in the future. I hoped they'd relent and unbury the gate!

Rated: 2.5/5
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

One thing that interests me about the Nox. If they were forced to fight the Ori (No ships or turning invisible allowed) who would win? The Nox seem to have some pretty strong powers.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
              One thing that interests me about the Nox. If they were forced to fight the Ori (No ships or turning invisible allowed) who would win? The Nox seem to have some pretty strong powers.
              oooh, fun match-up! At least,if it was Nox vs. Ori armies. Against the ascended beings themselves would be unfair; the poor Nox would be smooshed like bugs. But maybe that would incite a God-off between the ascended Ori and our ascended Ancients. Someone save me a seat on the couch. I'll make the popcorn.

Comment

did anyone else notice that Jack tries to shoot Apophis with a dart in the beginning but it didn't work. then Sam has this idea that it might and we don't find out until a later season that it actually works

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  i love the cheese of hathor...and if anyone wants to ignore it it's probably because the boys do not come out of it looking good
                  The cheese was funny and I like watching the girls take Hathor on... Every episode has it's little golden moments.

...I'll get back on topic... The Nox, to me, represent a pure kind of kindness and unconditional care for any strangers that crossed thier path...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I am currently trying to catch up with the re-watching and saw this one today. I always liked this episode, but I wish they would have revisited the Nox again. I know they were in that one episode with the Tollans, but once they got the Daedalus you think they would of stopped by to at least say hi.

Comment

I definitely liked watching this episode. It was our first actual face to face meeting with one of the four races. The Nox made an excellent point that is followed throughout the rest of the series "the young don't always do as they are told". Its pretty much the MO of us Earthlings throughout the series. Some of the more memorable moments were:

*Daniel: "they hover? Like a hummingbird?" Teal'c: "with teeth"
                      *O'Neill: "Wasn't I just...?" Carter: "Killed" O'Neill: "Killed as in..." Carter: "Dead"
                      O'Neill: "Dead" Carter: "Yeah, we know. We saw it happen. Same thing happened to us"
                      O'Neill: "Well, this is a surprise, then"

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes of season 1. On the one side the nox are to nature and on the other side they are part of the 4? or 5? races. So they are high developt.
                        It would be nice, if the nox are part of a other episode. Sadly that the dont come to another .

And i like, that the nox are so peacefully .

Comment

I agree with you 100 percent.

I think the Nox wanted to keep Teal'c.

Jack: "No, you can't keep him."

Lol!
                          "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
                          "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

Originally posted by Dumdidu View Post
                            This is one of my favorite episodes of season 1. On the one side the nox are to nature and on the other side they are part of the 4? or 5? races. So they are high developt.
                            It would be nice, if the nox are part of a other episode. Sadly that the dont come to another .

And i like, that the nox are so peacefully .
                            Except for Lya who made an appearance in Pretence. I agree it would've been nice to learn more about them. I, myself, found them interesting...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                              Except for Lya who made an appearance in Pretence. I agree it would've been nice to learn more about them. I, myself, found them interesting...
                              Lya is also in Enigma.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

It's a pity we never saw the old man again..

Comment

Working...
                                X