Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Except that TPTB in season 8 were not the same as the ones in season 1.
    Then it's not as self-referential as I thought. The rest still stands. Anatomical references are scattered throughout the series. Something other than prudishness motivates the removal of that particular line. There's no better explanation than the one that TPTB explicitly inserted into an episode.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Whohoo! Loved the pilot ep! I've seen a few episodes before, but now I'm watching them in order for the first time. The original version with "MacGyver" too. My only complaint is that the music is mixed too high, I can barely make out the words, and for some reason subtitles for the hearing impaired aren't available on PS3... I was rather surprised with the nude scene.
      No nudity surprise this time, but same version. Still packs a punch, though. I haven't seen any of the other versions, so I can't judge them on their relative merits. That said, I'd hate to lose the MacGyver reference...
      sigpic

Comment

I also don't like the "cut" version - the fun is gone!!!!
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

I like the remastered version for the fact that the annoying old woman's laugh was removed in the scene on Abydos where they are all sitting around celebrating in the pyramid by the gate!

Comment

Has anyone made a list of all the changes that happened between the original airing and the remastered copy?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Has anyone made a list of all the changes that happened between the original airing and the remastered copy?
              I made a start for the GW rewatch. I'd have to watch it again for any others, these are the ones I really noticed......

Spoiler:
              Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              Wow, can't remember when I last saw COTGs! It was good in a way as there were scenes I'd actually forgotten!

Watching both versions back to back was interesting. There's so many cut scenes, but quite a few added in the remastered that weren't used originally in the original version.

So, don't know if any one is playing spot the differences but, here's what I noticed.

New introduction panning from Earth's orbit through the clouds to the card table in the gateroom instead of the cross eyed Egyptian statue! The card scene was shortened.

When they were discussing what the bodies of the dead Jaffa were in the infirmary there was no mention of a female Jaffa in the original version. The scene with the female Jaffa's body was filmed and never used until the remaster.

I was surprised when they cut out the discussion Jack had in the holding room with Kawalsky about his son and Kawalsky never knowing that Jack had a son that they had in the original version.

The discussion in the control room with Hammond and Samuels about sending the tissue box instead of a note. Jack adding anyone could send a note, shooting Samuels' suggestion down. They added an extra scene as well withWalter holding down the wandering coffee cup from the vibrations of the dialing gate that wasn't in the original.

The introduction of Sam to the rest of the team scene! Oh yes, totally different! Gone was the discussion about GI Joe or Matt Mason doll played with as a child!! Of course the infamous 'reproductive organs' discussion was gone, leaving only what seemed like a really out of the blue comment by Jack about not having a problem with women, only scientists. Taking this scene out in the remaster version will make references to it in two future episodes in Seasons 8 and 10 totally confusing to those that will never see the original uncut scene.

Sam marveling about the event horizon before she steps through for the fist time was cut quite a bit for the newer version.

They took out the 'MacGyvered' reference Sam made on seeing the DHD on Abydos, when telling everyone how long it took them to create a dialling program for the Earth gate. Just left 'Jerry rigged' in.

I liked the extra CGI'd Abydonian scenes they added in the remastered version. Also added some scenes when they were eating with the Abydonian's, some food they rescued from the banged up probe that was sent through earlier before they'd unburied the gate completely.I was happy to find that the annoying laughing old woman of the original cut was taken out in the new one!!!

The choosing of the Airforce Sergeant and Shauri from the selection of women in the harem before they were brought to Apophis were cut.

The Doctor/Captain conversation in the map cartouche room with Daniel and Sam was cut as it was cut from the briefing room discussion along with much of the other dialogue already mentioned!

The added scene back in the SGC briefing room where Hammond orders them to get Daniel new clothes and that "he stinks." was funny!

The 'Nudity' scene and the Goa'uld symbiote entering Share. Even though it has been said the nude scene was put in because Showtime who commissioned the series wanted it in there, I personally think it was used appropriately to tell the story. Here was a vulnerable woman taken against her will and stripped literally and figuratively of her humanity and violated by this parasite. All the images of the gory scene of the Goa'uld actually beginning to burrow into her neck along with her piercing screams were cut; her scream remastered too oddly enough to make it sound as if she was suffering less in the remastered version and made the scene less harrowing. I felt much was lost from the scene in the remastered version. This grim reality Stargate began with only returned in SGU twelve years later!

There's a few more changes I could mention but phew, there's more than I thought! Biggest remaining ones. Extra dialogue about Teal'c and his symbiote being the twelfth he's carried as they escape to the gate on Chulak. Liked the extra scene with the cave man looking guy throwing stones at the attacking Jaffa and Jack being impressed when he downs one.

Then there's the ending, cutting out the scene altogether with Kawalsky's fate. Guess it leaves us with more of a surprise we find out in the next episode!!! Good for those who've never seen the original version I guess!!!

All in all, I preferred the original version, the newer one was remastered too much to reflect the way the Stargate story was being told in a lighter tone by 2009 when it was released. Not that I have any problem with it, I love SG-1!!!

Comment

Thanks for that list. Sounds like i will stick with the original.

Comment

I've recently started a Stargate re-watch, and I've decided to post a basic review on every episode I watch. So, obviously, I'm starting on "Children of the Gods".

My Review:

When I came to watching the Pilot of SG-1, I wasn't exactly excited. I hadn't watched the episode in years and I hadn't remembered it fondly. As I flicked through the main menu of my DVD player and settled on "Children of the Gods", I sighed before watching the episode play. How wrong was I for my judgement...

This episode is fantastic. It starts off the show with everything a pilot needs, including an interesting story and great characters. Although it is clear that the characters are not yet well defined (Carter and Teal'c being a very clear example of this) they are all well acted; the emotion Christopher Judge displays through facial movements is fantastic.

There are great action pieces and the music is terrific, helping to create a true sense of terror when we meet Apophis, who - with that costume - could have been hilarious but was instead horrific and awesome. Yes, we possibly could have done with a few more Death Gliders in the end action sequence and not so much of a rush when Teal'c explains what the Jaffa are, but it's a great pilot never the less.

By far, the greatest moment in my opinion is when Jack and Daniel share a drink, and they talk about Jack's son being dead, and how he can never forgive himself, but he can forget. The lines are so thought provoking and well displayed that I felt like I knew Jack O'Neill in that very moment, and felt like I understood him.

So, overall, a fantastic job and effort, and an incredible episode that I for some reason remembered being terrible

Rating: *****/5
                  Last edited by Stargatefan99; 22 May 2016, 05:22 AM.
                  Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
                  Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
                  Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

Sorry, Stargatefan99, but O'Neill said he could forget now and then. I think that's a misprint.
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                      Sorry, Stargatefan99, but O'Neill said he could forget now and then. I think that's a misprint.
                      Oops - it was a misprint. Sorry, I'll fix that
                      Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
                      Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
                      Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

Originally posted by Colonal Jack O'Teal'C View Post
                        In the first part we see Apophis and his Ja'Fa come through the gate. After taking a hostage and shooting up the place we see them going back through. Ok, with no DHD...how in the heck did they dial back out?
                        I'm guessing that they used something similar to the device that Teal'c used in Continuum to dial the gate.

Comment

In the recut version, they explicitly show the device. It's one of the very, very few places where the changes they made improved the episode (they cut the MacGyver line!)

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                            In the recut version, they explicitly show the device. It's one of the very, very few places where the changes they made improved the episode (they cut the MacGyver line!)

Seaboe
                            Imo the MacGyver line was great - just as the line about the position of the reproductive organs! It's my personal feeling, no discussion necessary.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

Imo the MacGyver line was great - just as the line about the position of the reproductive organs! It's my personal feeling, no discussion necessary.

It must not sound as dumb in German...Not even Tapping liked that line!
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

That whole 'reproductive organ angle' imo was just hamstrung into the show, just for the feminists out there..

Comment

Working...
                                X