No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already commented about this episode in some other thread weeks ago, but sticking to the rewatch schedule, I thought I will post something here.
    It was very interesting to watch this episode after so many years again. Had forgotten everything about it since the 1st watching.
    Hammond was not like Hammond we know, though in later episodes he got around. 1st meeting between Sam and Carter was funny
    I really enjoyed it more than I originally thought I would. It was great start for the TV series.
    sigpic

Comment

I've been following this website for years and reading posts, but I've never registered before and therefore never posted before. I decided for the great SG rewatch I wanted an actual account. So excited that this starts today. I'm watching the first episode now. I'm only about 10 mins in I'm struck at how mean Hammond is and I'm glad he loosens up later on. I guess it is understandable why he is so pissed off, but I like the lighter gentler Hammond better. Rewatch here we go!

Comment

Hammond was not like Hammond we know, though in later episodes he got around. 1st meeting between Sam and Carter was funny
        I really enjoyed it more than I originally thought I would. It was great start for the TV series.
        I think the original cut of CotG was pretty rough and poor, although the Final Cut is amazing and you can only imagine what the initial press/public reaction might have been if this version were originally aired! The Final Cut is near perfect despite some cheesy acting!

I find the most interesting element to CotG to be Hammond also. The portrayal of the character by Davis really underwent some distinct changes quite rapidly! (Although you can still see the origins of his trademark hand clasping action!)

A note for anyone who rewatched the Final Cut with surround sound: did you notice the terrifying young boy screaming suddenly in the rear left speaker just as the Jaffa are about to execute all the prisoners in Chulak? I seriously jumped! Great reworking of the sound design!

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nindif View Post
          I think the original cut of CotG was pretty rough and poor, although the Final Cut is amazing and you can only imagine what the initial press/public reaction might have been if this version were originally aired! The Final Cut is near perfect despite some cheesy acting!

I find the most interesting element to CotG to be Hammond also. The portrayal of the character by Davis really underwent some distinct changes quite rapidly! (Although you can still see the origins of his trademark hand clasping action!)

A note for anyone who rewatched the Final Cut with surround sound: did you notice the terrifying young boy screaming suddenly in the rear left speaker just as the Jaffa are about to execute all the prisoners in Chulak? I seriously jumped! Great reworking of the sound design!
          Are you talking about remastered cut? The one which was released not long ago?
          I need to get it I think and rewatch it
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nindif View Post
            The Final Cut is near perfect despite some cheesy acting!
            I think it's a shame they've cut a lot of scenes from the original pilot. I mean, some of Sam's lines in the briefing room were cringe-worthy but the banter is classic; now they cut half of it and Jack's remark about liking women is kinda out of the blue. Also didn't find it necessary to cut the MacGyver references or change the talk Daniel and Sam had in the cartouche chamber. But what I really think is bad about the final cut, is the ending! They changed it! Now The Enemy Within doesn't make any sense if you've watched the final cut first (and the original pilot isn't available anymore).
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

^How was the ending changed in the final cut? I must have (luckily) aquired an older original disc because I have all those scenes. I only got it recently too!

I love Sam's first scene. Gonna love Sam!
              "Smarter than you!"

Here is my LiveJournal post of this ep.
              (Be kind! )
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                ^How was the ending changed in the final cut? I must have (luckily) aquired an older original disc because I have all those scenes. I only got it recently too!
                They changed the ending with Kawalsky. He was never infested with that immature Goa'uld before going back through the gate. It basically ended with SG-1 getting back having saved all the refugees but not Skaara and Sha're. Then they stand in front of the gate and Jack says they'll find them.

It was done to make it a more standalone movie, but it totally changes continuity for the rest of the season. If you google a bit you can find several sites/topics/threads where they discuss the differences between the original pilot and the final cut, if you're interested. They also changed the harem thing of Apophis and show more of Teal'c's disgust during the Rite of Transference and he has a few more scenes after they escape.
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  (and the original pilot isn't available anymore).
                  It's still the original version if you buy the box sets.

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
                    It's still the original version if you buy the box sets.
                    Not where I live. I've checked and most of season one don't include CotG and it's not separately available according to several stores I've been to.
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Not where I live. I've checked and most of season one don't include CotG and it's not separately available according to several stores I've been to.
                      I have a box set of all 10 seasons, and I assume the version I have of CotG is the original version.

Comment

I've never heard of any release of season 1 that doesn't include the first episode, very weird.

Comment

Well, I was kind of referring to the box sets that you can buy in the stores/online nowadays. The Final Cut is from 2009 so everything bought before 2009 will obviously have the original pilot. But the boxes that are available here aren't from >2009, hence the original pilot isn't in them.

The boxes list the first episode as The Enemy Within, as does my current one, because the pilot is considered to be a separate movie now.
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Well, I was kind of referring to the box sets that you can buy in the stores/online nowadays. The Final Cut is from 2009 so everything bought before 2009 will obviously have the original pilot. But the boxes that are available here aren't from >2009, hence the original pilot isn't in them.

The boxes list the first episode as The Enemy Within, as does my current one, because the pilot is considered to be a separate movie now.
                            That doesn't seem fair. It also doesn't seem right to put in the edited version instead of the original. The edited one should be an option you get to choose.

I splurged about 3-4 years ago and bought my set from amazon.com; I haven't looked lately to see what they have now as a full box set.

Comment

Just started to rewatch season 1 (this is my 9th time) and to me it's just as good as ever. Boy I've missed O'neill and Daniel. Also amanda was so darn cute. I remember I was like 10 yo old when SG-1 first aired and i kind of got a crush on her. Ah, the good times...
                              "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                That doesn't seem fair. It also doesn't seem right to put in the edited version instead of the original. The edited one should be an option you get to choose.

I splurged about 3-4 years ago and bought my set from amazon.com; I haven't looked lately to see what they have now as a full box set.
                                I agree, I even inquired before buying my set but they didn't know. They checked their computer and all the information they had on the product, but the year for the CotG movie wasn't listed in several databases. After batting my eyes a few times and giving my best smile they did a thorough search for the original pilot just in case, but to no avail. It wasn't being produced anymore and nowhere available. My best shot was getting an old/used version online, but unfortunately there aren't any (I don't have a credit card).

I still bought the set even though I suspected it was the Final Cut (it was and I made sure to leave a review on several sites to inform others) because it was still cheap for the rest of the ten seasons and AoT and Continuum.

Luckily I have a fairly good memory, and remember all the cool scenes that have been deleted so I can still imagine them while watching...
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X