This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oma-1
    chelle, I took your question out of spoilers cos it's not really spoilers, but is a really good discussion point.

I don't see Sam and Jack's (lack of a ) relationship as making them look weak. I see it as their strength of character allowing them to keep in control their emotions for the "greater good" of saving the universe every other week. They sacrifice the happiness they know they could have together, for the sake of us normal people. That doesn't make them weak, it makes them heroic. That's why I've been able to accept the rollercoaster ride we've been on these long years. I don't want their relationship to be resolved without the regs issue being taken care of.

I don't think Sam has ever been indecisive about her relationship with Jack at all, and neither has Jack. They both know how they feel about each other. They both knew they couldn't do anything about it. To me, that's acceptance (and great angst ).

I don't even think that Sam showed weakness by starting the relationship with Pete. She is human, and she needed companionship, romance, love - all the things everyone else needs. I see a little why Sam was swept away by . He was very romantic, brought her flowers, took her dancing, made her laugh and smile, made her forget the toughness of her job for a while. (The only thing I find mind boggling is that she went for a puppy dog type of character who can't compare in any way to Jack! Although I suppose him being a cop is supposed to make him tough?!? Don't see it myself, but... anyway.)

I think that the weakness comes in in the way tptb wrote the storyline. They carried on the relationship too long, ignoring too many other things that had happened inbetween times (Death Knell and Lost City to name but 2). They had Sam accept the proposal in a totally inappropriate time and place. Then Threads (although it had great moments in it) was slightly farcical, because the engagement had gone on way too long and showed Sam as being indecisive in ending the relationship.

That indecisiveness I saw as a weakness of the script rather than the character. Carter never hesitates when she sees shes made a mistake. She faces it head on and tries to deal with it in the best way. In S8
    Spoiler:
    Gemini she was quick to take the blame and recognise where she felt she made mistakes.

In many episodes, the fact that Sam & Jack care for each other so much, and the rest of the team has been a strength to them. They have all put themselves on the line, gone way beyond the line of duty for each other - all because they care about each other so much.

Someone asked earlier if Jack had actually killed Sam in Entity, would he have carried on or quit? I think he would have carried on. Partly in her memory. Partly because he knew Sam would rather die than be trapped in her body. Partly because he wouldn't be able to give up the fight when his own sense of honour is still urging him on.

So I guess the point of all my rambling is love makes them stronger. Whether it be Sam & Jack shippy type of love, or the love between SG-1 that makes them such a powerful team, or the love they have for the rest of us peons on the planet that makes them want to keep sacrificing to save us.

Sorry for going on so long This is one subject I feel really strongly about
    Thank you Oma! That's how I saw the ship...not a weakness but a strength! I'm glad I'm not the only one...whew! That was an awesome post!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
      Hi guys! Just returned from the UK Shipper Meet in Manchester (which, in the end, consisted of myself and Oma!) We've had a fab day and Oma has the pictures which she's promised to upload later. We ate blue jell-o and talked ship and roasted ourselves in the hot, sunny weather in Manchester and now I'm feeling all happy! Bring on S10 and bring on
      Spoiler:
      the ship!

((((HUGS)))) to the Shipper Family!
      Hey Amber...do you need more jelly/jello yet?
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
        It's unusual for me to grow to really lose respect for an actor/actress who is a member of one of my ships, but my feelings for AT are definitely moving in that direction. To the point that I wouldn't *go* to a convention where she appeared for fear of what I'd say to her if I encountered her face to face. Yes, TIIC have jerked around the shippers for years, but she has, too.
        Well that's just sad...that you feel that you wouldn't be able to control yourself or have control over what you say to a real person cos of a make believe person/character that you are not happy with.
        Please try to remember that AT simply portrays a character...Sam Carter is not real...and TPTB determine how that character behaves to a great extent. As for AT's indecision on the ship...I'll just reinterate what I said on Saturday...it wouldn't matter what answer she gave, it would always be the wrong one. Not everyone is going to be happy all the time. There's always two sides to an argument...maybe AT sees that and agrees with both arguments!
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
          i'm not surprised that you feel that way. i've never really felt that you were a fan of AT, and frequently i find myself thinking that you and a few others here just don't like her for whatever reason. and you and i rarely share the same opinions. and thats fine, and i'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that so please don't misunderstand me here. we shouldn't all be the same, and everyone sees things differently.

i do like and respect both AT and RDA obviously, and it does sadden and bother me that people feel as you and ses and others do, but i'm not going to lose sleep over it.
          Your post is brilliant SB...tried to green you but they wouldn't let me...so consider yourself greened!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketgal
            Hart to Hart & Hillstreet Blues (Frank and Joyce until they messed with it)
            Oh wow..Hart to Hart!! Cool...I used to love that show!! Yeah...that's a show where ship worked. And that went on for a few years too!!
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
              Oh, yeah! That reminds me of my favorite resolved ship: B'Elanna and Tom. On Voyager, they did it PERFECTLY. Everybody still had their jobs, their rolls, and the plotlines didn't change. All it meant was that when one was hurt, the other was a little more openly concerned, or when they went off duty and headed home for the night, they weren't going to an empty house. Since they don't show SG1 or most characters down time very often, what harm is it?
              Yeah...that worked...good one!
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                hey, has anyone else noticed that we had a lot more viewers when we were arguing? we are not your puppets lurkers!!!!

(ooh, now the entities awake)
                ROFLMAO...Dang...I was away for a bit...missed a lot of the action...some very interesting thoughts out there...just doing a catch up now though...so my posts might be a bit out dated...sorry bout that...that's what happens when you don't visit the ship everyday!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketgal
                  LOL
                  G'night you guys, and lurkers and TPTB too, cuz we love everybody!
                  Now, I believe it's time to rassle remote from hubby and throw in
                  a certain DVD!

by the way...
                  http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...0/64cd4804.jpg
                  ROFLMAO!!! You guys are fantastic!!!
                  Love the pics RG!!
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    I've thought about this since last night, because I don't like for there to be bad feelings between shippers, and this AOL article has caused some. I just feel I should say that I've met trupi's 13-year-old.....and she's far from disrespectful. She's a lovely, articulate, friendly young woman. But she had a gut reaction to a comment that was contradictory to what her parents have taught her about making good choices. Let's not go overboard on it. I also found the comment attributed to AT that
                    Spoiler:
                    Sam and Jack should get together for a night of incredible sex, then say...."That was great. Ok. Movin' on," troublesome. Why?

1. It's contradictory to what my parents taught me about making good choices too!
                    2. It's contradictory to what I think I know about Amanda Tapping's character.
                    3. It's doesn't sound like something Sam Carter would ever do!!!

So, I've concluded that AT was either:

1. Tired of being asked about the ship and gave an outrageous answer
                    2. Misquoted

And I think trupi's point in posting her daughter's comment was probably to demonstrate the outrageousness many of us felt when we read the quote. I think trupi was trying to point out the same things I just did. That comment about Sam and Jack didn't make sense, and we were all wrong to react to it as dramatically as we did. I count myself in that number. If anything, we're all guilty of caring too much about what happens to these two fictional characters.

That being said, I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not criticizing anyone here.....not AT, nor trupi, nor her daughter, nor stargate barbie. I'm just saying that we should be supporting each other.....'cause the jury's still out on whether the show runners are going to support the storyline they created or not.

Does that make sense? I hope so.
                    Yes it does make sense...and I just want to say that I don't judge Trupi or her daughter or anyone else on their posts/opinions...I might get a bit surprised by some of them...but I have stated before that I respect other peoples right to an opinion and I stand by that...and I have PM'd Trupi in regards to this matter.
                    So...hopefully we're all moving on now...gee...it's cold today...how's the weather in your neck of the woods??
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      The AOL article that has caused all this discussion also quoted AT as saying that she thinks,
                      Spoiler:
                      Sam and Jack are "romantically inept." If that's the case, then it would mean that these two very accomplished people have an area of their lives where they don't really have it together. That would be a weakness, an area of incompetence.

I've never really felt either one of them was weak or indecisive either. What I've seen has told me that they're bound by rules they've been unwilling to break.....a case of honor. That's why I've always felt that once the regs were no longer an issue, they would move forward quickly.

But that's where the reference to "weak" originated.
                      Thanks for that. Still...I don't see it as a weakness!
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                        So...hopefully we're all moving on now...gee...it's cold today...how's the weather in your neck of the woods??
                        HOT HOT HOT!!! HUMID HUMID HUMID!!! Yeah, that's how it is.

Comment

Well that's just sad...that you feel that you wouldn't be able to control yourself or have control over what you say to a real person cos of a make believe person/character that you are not happy with.
                          Please try to remember that AT simply portrays a character...Sam Carter is not real...and TPTB determine how that character behaves to a great extent. As for AT's indecision on the ship...I'll just reinterate what I said on Saturday...it wouldn't matter what answer she gave, it would always be the wrong one. Not everyone is going to be happy all the time. There's always two sides to an argument...maybe AT sees that and agrees with both arguments!

We've already closed this discussion, and I'm not going to respond to what I feel is a personal attack about my control issues. I'm just stating that I was never talking about the character, who I like fine.
                          - Mary
                          SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                          Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

A favorite piccie...

Jack: Nothing will come between us, not even a dog with special ops training!
                            Sam: Don't I know it...but he will help keep me warm while you're away
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                              I should be doing something useful like packing for vacation. I'm kinda sad because I won't be here for a few days. Where I'm going there is no Internet access, so I'll have a lot to catch up on. But I don't wanna pack. Let's talk ship.

Ummm.....what's your favorite S/J kiss? Mine's a tie between WoO and Grace. I just love that whole scene in WoO. Everyone in the gate room staring in shock. Jack dipping Sam. Sam being surprised, but then responding. And it wasn't AU or imagined. It was great. But...that Grace kiss is just so hot!
                              Where and when are you leaving LA?

My fav ship kiss is WoO...without a doubt! Of course Grace comes in a close second!!
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Where and when are you leaving LA?

My fav ship kiss is WoO...without a doubt! Of course Grace comes in a close second!!
                                Tomorrow...to visit my Grandma and other relatives on my mother's side here in Texas. But I will be back by Friday for my Stargate! Woot!

Comment

Working...
                                X