Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Not to be a spoilsport, but while I liked certain parts of "Fragile Balance" (like the fact that mini-Jack went straight to the one person he believed could figure out what happened to him and fix it [Sam]), I didn't like how easily many people accepted a kid as being Jack O'Neill. Obviously, not right at first, since they did the usual tests and so forth, but even after that it seemed as though people just readily accepted him being the Jack O'Neill. There just should have been more doubt, even though the DNA test said it was him. I especially didn't like how those pilots accepted him as Jack just because he snarled at them once, and apparently because Sam just nodded indicating it was indeed him; and especially since they all gave Sam such a hard time about her running the class (they wouldn't accept her, but they would accept what appeared to be a kid).
    Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    I totally agree. I liked a lot of aspect of this episode, but I also disliked a lot of things, mainly what you said about the pilots making such a fuss about Sam teaching because she flew second seat, and then accepting the clone with no problem.
    Agree! And Agree!

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    I think you're actually right. But then, I count this as one of the "funny" episodes, and for some reason, they're separated from believability in my mind a little more than the "serious" ones.
    I've never considered this episode funny at all. It does have its comedic moments that are entertaining, but for me this is probably the single most tragic episode of Stargate ever! Can you imagine being an adult (with all of the memories of your life) forced to relive your life over, as a teenager? I just don't buy the idea that mini-Jack happily moved on and started a new life. I could never do that. Could you?

That poor clone. They make such a big deal throughout the episode of emphasizing that despite appearances, at his essence he is Jack O'Neill. Then they just drop him off at high school, cut off from all he knows and everyone he loves and walk away. There's no way anyone could understand or relate to him. (Not to mention the fact that he would be a huge security risk.) And to keep this somewhat on topic, what about his feelings for Sam? They wouldn't just go away. But he will never have the opportunity to be with her. Can doing a few things differently "this time around" make up for that loss?

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I can't think about the end of that show without wanting to cry.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      I've never considered this episode funny at all. It does have its comedic moments that are entertaining, but for me this is probably the single most tragic episode of Stargate ever! Can you imagine being an adult (with all of the memories of your life) forced to relive your life over, as a teenager? I just don't buy the idea that mini-Jack happily moved on and started a new life. I could never do that. Could you?

That poor clone. They make such a big deal throughout the episode of emphasizing that despite appearances, at his essence he is Jack O'Neill. Then they just drop him off at high school, cut off from all he knows and everyone he loves and walk away. There's no way anyone could understand or relate to him. (Not to mention the fact that he would be a huge security risk.) And to keep this somewhat on topic, what about his feelings for Sam? They wouldn't just go away. But he will never have the opportunity to be with her. Can doing a few things differently "this time around" make up for that loss?

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I can't think about the end of that show without wanting to cry.
      I think it's kinda creepy. How would cloneJack, as much in love with Sam as the original Jack, react to going back to high school and dating girls Cassie's age? Ewww...

But I also agree that this is such a tragic episode. As sad as it would have been for this episode, I kinda wish that the clone Jack would have died. In a way, it's kinda like the episode with the robot SG-1, but even they had each other to continue their existence together. Clone Jack had nobody.
      sigpic
      The Return of King Arthur
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I think it's kinda creepy. How would cloneJack, as much in love with Sam as the original Jack, react to going back to high school and dating girls Cassie's age? Ewww...
        Yes! Tragic and creepy! Wouldn't Jack feel like some kind of a pedophile dating teenage girls? I just can't see him doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

I tend to agree with this part of your post. Knowing what the adult Jack is like, I honestly don't see how mini-Jack could just shut out everything he's been through and go sit in a high school classroom, basically starting over. At some point, given what he's had to give up, I think it might push him over the edge.

However, I also see what the others are saying about this attempting to be a lighthearted sort of story. There's humor in the situation, but at the same time, lots and lots of angst and sadness. Which is why I like some of the fanfic out there where mini-Jack gets a mini-Sam clone of his own and they live happily ever after. What can I say; I like fluffy stuff, with only a little bit of angst/whump, hurt/comfort stuff. I do wish there had been some kind of follow-up to this story with at least a mention of what became of mini-Jack.

And I don't think you're being too sensitive.

Comment

But I also agree that this is such a tragic episode. As sad as it would have been for this episode, I kinda wish that the clone Jack would have died. In a way, it's kinda like the episode with the robot SG-1, but even they had each other to continue their existence together. Clone Jack had nobody.
            here is a cute ff that deals with that "issue"
            A_Rush_of_Blood_to_the_Head
            sigpic

Comment

I've never considered this episode funny at all. It does have its comedic moments that are entertaining, but for me this is probably the single most tragic episode of Stargate ever!
              I guess I must be an awful person--I don't see it as very tragic at all. He gets all fixed up, in the end, and then he makes a conscious choice to do something else with his life. I don't ever want to go back and live my life again, but if I had all my memories and knowledge, it might be kind of cool. It would be fascinating to see what I would do differently. And I think that it's a credit to the program and to the people he's met that the clone chooses to pay more attention in school the second time around.

I think it would be interesting to see what he ends up like.

And isn't it cool that people can see the same episode in such different ways?
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                . . . Which is why I like some of the fanfic out there where mini-Jack gets a mini-Sam clone of his own and they live happily ever after. What can I say; I like fluffy stuff, with only a little bit of angst/whump, hurt/comfort stuff.
                Originally posted by pointoforigin View Post
                Originally posted by pointoforigin View Post
                I've read that one. I love pretty much everything Annerb writes. I'm not really a fluffer; so I like that she points out how difficult their lives would be, even though they will be together.

As much as I think having a mini-Sam around would make things better for mini-Jack, it still isn't completely satisfying to me. I'm not one of those Shippers who considers their relationships with the other characters extraneous. The clones would still be cut off from Daniel, Teal'c, Hammond, and additionally for Sam, Jacob and Mark. Essentially, everything and everyone that makes up the fabric of their lives. The "All I need is you, baby" mentality doesn't work for me.

I guess I must be an awful person--I don't see it as very tragic at all. He gets all fixed up, in the end, and then he makes a conscious choice to do something else with his life. I don't ever want to go back and live my life again, but if I had all my memories and knowledge, it might be kind of cool. It would be fascinating to see what I would do differently. And I think that it's a credit to the program and to the people he's met that the clone chooses to pay more attention in school the second time around.

I think it would be interesting to see what he ends up like.

And isn't it cool that people can see the same episode in such different ways?
                I don't think you're an awful person. But allow me to wax philoshopical for a moment. I know you have a husband and children you loved. What if trying it again meant leaving them behind and never seeing them again? That's why I think it's tragic. Because at first I thought, oh yeah cool. I'd love to go back to high school with all I know now and do it better. But, even if it were going back in time (with my memories in tact) and the people I loved were still there, beyond little annoyances like not being able to drive and having a curfew, what would change? What would I be giving up by making those different choices?

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven.

If I were the clone, I really think I would not ask to be saved.
                Last edited by hlndncr; 23 July 2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Video break!

WARNING: flashes and very fast clips

Make Sam/Jack art based on this quote:

When the world is closing in
                  And you can't breathe
                  May I love you
                  May I be your shield

~ "May I" by Trading Yesterday

Join us on: http://penguinschallenge.webs.com/

sigpic
                  My vids Sig made by me

Comment

My high school experience was all over the place. By the end of freshmen year my parents got divorced by the beginning of sophomore year I got kicked of of my house that I lived in since I was 5 - 6 yrs old. Junior year I met someone who made do a 180. Because of her My grades improved. Senior year for me was just senior year. If i was mini-jack and I was in his position I don't think I would want to go back to high school. I mean I have friends that I knew since elementary school and to have that all memories and years just stripped away from me even Though I still retained my knowledge and memory of what I went through I think it would've just been wrong.

Comment

I don't think you're an awful person. But allow me to wax philoshopical for a moment. I know you have a husband and children you loved. What if trying it again meant leaving them behind and never seeing them again? That's why I think it's tragic. Because at first I thought, oh yeah cool. I'd love to go back to high school with all I know now and do it better. But, even if it were going back in time (with my memories in tact) and the people I loved were still there, beyond little annoyances like not being able to drive and having a curfew, what would change? What would I be giving up by making those different choices?
                      I guess I just hadn't ever thought about it that way. But then, except for the ship, I try not to over think TV.

Besides. We know what happened to the clone. He's in Forks, Washington, at a high school with family of vampires.

But it really isn't that much different than the robot clones is it? Sure--they're together, but they still have to leave everything else behind.

And the thing about Jack is that we never see any other family. We know he has a few friends, but he's lost Sara, and Charlie's gone, and as far as we know, there isn't anyone else. He is the archetypal loner.

I guess I'm just thinking about the opportunity that it is--to have a second chance bringing with him all the experience that would hopefully keep him from making the same mistakes. I can see him doing something peaceful rather than becoming a soldier. Having a little more perspective. Doing things that wouldn't scar him as much as the things he's already done.

Keep in mind, however, I also view Window of Opportunity as a funny episode--but the last few minutes of that are some of the most defining, powerful moments in the entire series. So, even thought the rest of it is light hearted, I can still see the drama in the alien archeaologist's dilemma there, too.

**shrugs** Who knows? It's all a matter of interpretation.

And we can still all be friends, even when we see things a little differently--because
                      Jack Sam
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

I guess I just hadn't ever thought about it that way. But then, except for the ship, I try not to over think TV.
                        Normally I don't like to overthink TV either. In this case I would say it caused me to feel, which then required me to think.

Besides. We know what happened to the clone. He's in Forks, Washington, at a high school with family of vampires.
                        Hahaha. If he's actually Jack then he should be able to take on those vampires.

But it really isn't that much different than the robot clones is it? Sure--they're together, but they still have to leave everything else behind.
                        You make a good point. I don't feel the same about the robot clones for several reasons. First, as you point out, at least they do have each other. Second, they have the ability to continue their lives to a certain extent; we later learn that they are going on missions and doing the things they did before they became robots. Third, the show did come back to them and gave them a heroic end.

And we can still all be friends, even when we see things a little differently--because
                        Jack Sam
                        Amen!

Comment

Don't forget werewolves.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                            Don't forget werewolves.
                            Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies, Oh My?
                            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Hahaha. If he's actually Jack then he should be able to take on those vampires.
                              Well, not JACK, actually, but at least the actor that portrayed the mini-me. He plays the part of Mike in the Twilight movies.
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

So I have to ask how do you sam felt knowing her husband went to destiny in subversion

Comment

Working...
                                X