No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not quite sure how to answer the question about Sam's growth, since I didn't start watching SG1 until about Season 5 or 6 on reruns when I finally! got the SciFi channel by switching cable providers. I knew right away Sam was my favorite character. I saw quite a few other season episodes before Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 finally got rerun. I did notice the difference in her, but like I said i already liked her a lot so it didn't bother me as much as it might have had I gotten to watch it from the beginning. There was certainly a growth in her and maturity, which should certainly have happened given what she had experienced over those years. It would have been stupid had she not grown and matured. Though something similar could be said of Daniel through those years too. (I think he irritated me more than anything Sam did or how she behaved.)

(*let me think on that quilt question.....hmmm....ponders question.....ooooh! lightbulb moment!!! Is it mine???*)

Comment

(*let me think on that quilt question.....hmmm....ponders question.....ooooh! lightbulb moment!!! Is it mine???*)
      Full points to the lady who is hugging trees!
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

I was watching and thinking how (forgive me) annoyingly eager she is during the first season, and it struck me that she matures a lot during Season 2--so I think that he might have been attracted to her physically during Seasons 1 and 2, but then he wouldn't have really wanted more at that point because psychologically they were on completely different planes. He's black ops and has seen some bad stuff, and she's idealistic and eager. Season 3 sees her mature even more, and then in Season 4, she's finally becoming the Sam that I really recognize as "SAM".

I think that she had to go through that process in order to truly appeal to him on a deeper level instead of on a shallow "she's hot" level. In order for them to have a lasting relationship, she had to grow up a little bit.

I know that there is more to it than this, but this is just a point that really stuck out to me.

Thoughts?
        I agree - IMHO Jack was probably still in rebound mode in Season 1, and yes probably thought she was hot but the frat regs were there. Darn 'em. Sam also wanted to prove that could survive in a man's air force and then it seems Amanda took hold of the character more. As time went on, the relationship between them strengthened/blossomed? Then those light-bulb moments, the conversation with Janet, the "OMG that hurt" look, when she must have thought "Oh dear I like my CO far more than I'm supposed to"

Random Thought - I've just watch Metamorphosis, just as she about her rest her head on Jack's shoulder - she looks at Teal'c and he nod's his head as if to say it's ok you can. Why does she do that? Or am I reading too much into it?

Comment

I think that later on Amanda had a little bit more influence on her character then at the very beginning, and that might be the reason.
          There has to be a writer influence on this--so this is how the people meant to portray her. And I know that it's a collaborative thing between writers and the actors and the directors, but having acted myself once upon a time, I know that you are governed by what is written as to your clues in character. And all characters morph in response to time and experience. That AT had a say in how Sam was written later is evident in the fact that she does mature--but the sheer chemistry between Jack and Sam in various early episodes is the genesis of the Jack/Sam relationship. (And in my mind it isn't AT/RDA at all. It's all their characters.) And in terms of straight character, they chose to mature or wise up Sam sooner than they did Daniel--when they sometimes performed the same function in providing a morality to the show.

I'm rambling, and I know that. . .it just is interesting to me how her maturation goes hand in hand with the amping up of the angst and flirting between Jack and Sam.
          sigpic
          My Stories AO3

Comment

I'm rambling, and I know that. . .it just is interesting to me how her maturation goes hand in hand with the amping up of the angst and flirting between Jack and Sam.
            I agree - because they know each other far better and start to try and work out how far they can go with the flirting. They're comfortable with each other and it's easier to flirt with someone you know well and trust. And in Sam's case she trusts' Jack with her life and soul

Comment

And in Sam's case she trusts' Jack with her life and soul
              And vice versa. . .
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

Not rambling, making a very interesting point. I had never consider it, but I can see how Jack as an older, much more experienced person (and soldier) would certainly be physically attracted to the young and eager Sam, but for a deeper attraction to develop it required her to mature and go through some of those similar trying experiences.

On personal note: I just made staff sergeant-YAY! Does that mean I can now say "Cheveron 1 encoded" etc.?

Comment

On personal note: I just made staff sergeant-YAY! Does that mean I can now say "Cheveron 1 encoded" etc.?
                  Congrats! But the chevron stuff--only if you're bald. . .

(And to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed that I've already made Captain. Will someone shut me up already?)
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy17 View Post
                    Random Thought - I've just watch Metamorphosis, just as she about her rest her head on Jack's shoulder - she looks at Teal'c and he nod's his head as if to say it's ok you can. Why does she do that? Or am I reading too much into it?
                    I noticed that too, and always really liked that moment. He not only nods his head in approval, but also discreetly looks away, as if to give them some privacy. I believe Teal'c has long known the score with regard to Jack and Sam's feelings for one another. But this also comes right after Paradise Lost, where Sam and Teal'c have that great moment in the women's locker room when Sam believes Jack is lost to her forever. So Teal'c must be especially conscious of Sam's need to reach out to Jack in her distress, as well as her reluctance to do so in the presence of others.

Comment

I noticed that too, and always really liked that moment. He not only nods his head in approval, but also discreetly looks away, as if to give them some privacy. I believe Teal'c has long known the score with regard to Jack and Sam's feelings for one another. But this also comes right after Paradise Lost, where Sam and Teal'c have that great moment in the women's locker room when Sam believes Jack is lost to her forever. So Teal'c must be especially conscious of Sam's need to reach out to Jack in her distress, as well as her reluctance to do so in the presence of others.
                      Teal'c is the Original Shipper.

That's why I believe that he left them alone on the planet they 'Gated to off of Thor's ship. . .

Shameless self-promotion:

Waiting
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

Teal'c is the Original Shipper.

That's why I believe that he left them alone on the planet they 'Gated to off of Thor's ship. . .

Shameless self-promotion:

Waiting
                        Of course - I am a fool

And Waiting deserves promotion because it is wonderful

Off to watch Disclosure - an odd episode but wonderful for the Thor moment at the end

Comment

Congrats! But the chevron stuff--only if you're bald. . .

(And to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed that I've already made Captain. Will someone shut me up already?)
                          Taking a momentary break from hovering over all my sprouting plants on the deck, to pop in and quote President Hayes on the bolded part: "Never.Going.To.Happen!!!"

Comment

Taking a momentary break from hovering over all my sprouting plants on the deck, to pop in and quote President Hayes on the bolded part: "Never.Going.To.Happen!!!"
                            I know--it's not possible to get me to be quiet. **Sigh**. My husband sometimes threatens with duct tape and a tube sock. . .
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

I know--it's not possible to get me to be quiet. **Sigh**. My husband sometimes threatens with duct tape and a tube sock. . .
                              He doesn't know what sneaky people you associate with here on GW. If he resorted to doing that, we'd sneak in and free you!

This afternoon on SyFy will be SG1, "Beachhead", and I found myself cheering because it meant Sam/AT is back, and I will be watching (even though I have all the discs and could watch one of them, but I'm too lazy to get out the appropriate one and watch it).

Comment

He doesn't know what sneaky people you associate with here on GW. If he resorted to doing that, we'd sneak in and free you!
                                Nope--I'll just get out my trusty rotary cutter. . .

oh yeah--and
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X