Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    it was amanda's idea to bring in a boyfriend (to break the black widow curse and to not make it look like sam was just pining for jack), but it wasn't her writing/directing/hand that brought us pete.

i just don't think either dig shipping for any of their characters, really. if i remember right, rda didn't want macgyver hooked up (permanently), and amanda seems to lose interest in her ships (sam/jack, sam/pete, helen/john) if they go on too long or are too deep into her character's life.

these are just my impressions.
    Yep, just confirms it then. I remember having quite a long discussion about this with someone else (who's got a strong view on this pairing) on FF.net and we both felt really infuriated together after hashing some issues out about this ship.
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I know Amanda has got quite playful with the Sam/Jack stuff in recent interviews and cons, she is obviously aware that the ship lives on, and she may as well just join in the hype as thats about as much confirmation we are ever going to get. she has mentioned fishing 2/3 times recently
      sigpic
      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
        I know Amanda has got quite playful with the Sam/Jack stuff in recent interviews and cons, she is obviously aware that the ship lives on, and she may as well just join in the hype as thats about as much confirmation we are ever going to get. she has mentioned fishing 2/3 times recently
        Thank you!! So I wasn't going crazy!

I think it's easy for her to get more into the shippy mood now that her career isn't defined by it.

Comment

Here's a perfect song paired with Sam/Jack videos where music speaks the Sam/Jack ship so eloquently without words!
          Gives me chills!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCMO_h5ELh8

Comment

A little OT
            Spoiler:
            So my friend was telling me about a new movie by Chris Nolan (director of the dark knight trilogy) and apparently it involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. it kinda reminded me of Stargate.

Comment

I'm guessing you all want me to ask about 3rd movie and jack and Sam when I see RDA in March ????
              If you get the chance, yes. Regardless of his answer your question tells him and everyone else that

i don't think either one of them are that interested in 'ships'.
              I think they have changed their attitudes now that the show is off-air. I could be wrong but, and I'm not belittling them here at all but, actors thrive on approval and back when the show was alive it needed to be "real" and that meant keeping in tune with actual regulations and such, but for me that was total bullpoop because this was supposed to be a fictional show and I didn't hesitate to post my disapproval back then and...Ahhrrg!

Yet, today, we are still shipping. Some, including me, had to leave for a bit, but we all seem to be finding our way back. And new shippers are joining up! Squeee!

Over and over and over and over I see posts about what confirms "the ship." Least of all it's the dialog. Sorry writers, I realize the conundrum you were forced into and you did good, really, I understand now.

But the real saving grace of the ship was the looks and actions. Granted, this is a totally unscientific analysis based solely on my own recollections of posts.

But if I'm right, then for that we really need to thank who...actor or director or both? (I still have a spreadsheet of my attempt at figuring this out based on my "ship approval" plus writer, director, producer. Obesessed, yes, that was me!)

At this point the only thing that matters is where the interest is and I firmly believe we shippers are showing strength on and beyond that of the antis and noromos.

And if that's not enough incentive for an actor to catch and run...

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                If you get the chance, yes. Regardless of his answer your question tells him and everyone else that
                http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...1235448135.gif

I think they have changed their attitudes now that the show is off-air. I could be wrong but, and I'm not belittling them here at all but, actors thrive on approval and back when the show was alive it needed to be "real" and that meant keeping in tune with actual regulations and such, but for me that was total bullpoop because this was supposed to be a fictional show and I didn't hesitate to post my disapproval back then and...Ahhrrg!

Yet, today, we are still shipping. Some, including me, had to leave for a bit, but we all seem to be finding our way back. And new shippers are joining up! Squeee!

Over and over and over and over I see posts about what confirms "the ship." Least of all it's the dialog. Sorry writers, I realize the conundrum you were forced into and you did good, really, I understand now.

But the real saving grace of the ship was the looks and actions. Granted, this is a totally unscientific analysis based solely on my own recollections of posts.

But if I'm right, then for that we really need to thank who...actor or director or both? (I still have a spreadsheet of my attempt at figuring this out based on my "ship approval" plus writer, director, producer. Obesessed, yes, that was me!)

At this point the only thing that matters is where the interest is and I firmly believe we shippers are showing strength on and beyond that of the antis and noromos.
                http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...jackandsam.jpg
                And if that's not enough incentive for an actor to catch and run...
                http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...b42942fc97.gif
                http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...0b910b27420.gi
                Well said! Yeah, I agree, I think Amanda was getting frustrated with the fact that her whole character was starting to revolve around the "which guy will Carter choose?!" and the Pete relationship IMo was handled terribly by the writers - I've never been a fan of Pete (obv.!) but who says "is that it?" when you dump someone a week before the wedding and they don't explode in your face?! A little harsh! Then to add insult to injury they made Cam "co-lead" when it was a given that Sam should have taken over command of SG-1 for what reason exactly? Oh yeah, because a woman could never be the lead on a sci-if show! Despite Buffy, Helen Magnus, Andromeda, Janeway etc etc

Sorry for the rant, that's what made me stop watching in the first place. I figured that the writers were just doing a poor job given that RDA didn't want to be involved anymore, but it seems that even when he was willing to come back the writers couldn't be bothered...... Maybe writing jokes about Cam's grandmother was the only thing they could think of at the time? I honestly think RDA kept certain people in check when he was there and made sure everyone got their fair share of stuff. Once he left I think maybe the balance of power got tipped a little and the writers slowly started to get more fanboy-like; Big Bang Theory this show ain't (as much as I like that show but for entirely different reasons!)

... I'll go away now and get off my soap box
                Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  just saw les mis and it was pretty good. and in honor of that i forgot that i found this vid using a les mis song a while back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5K-Q...0EA9&index=161
                  Thanks for posting this. It was quite well done - love the clips she chose.

OT
                  Spoiler:
                  Anne Hathaway broke my heart in that movie. Sort of reminded me of when Ashley died on sanctuary and Magnus was just crying on the floor - that kind of complete despair

Ack. I need some fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                    Then to add insult to injury they made Cam "co-lead" when it was a given that Sam should have taken over command of SG-1 for what reason exactly? Oh yeah, because a woman could never be the lead on a sci-if show!
                    I have to agree here. This was badly handled and painfully obvious that TPTB was looking for another colonel with bad jokes as a leader of SG1 to fill in the gap. It was quite a pathetic attempt as Sam led SG1 for whole previous year (Season 8). (Not) suprisingly writers just chose to ignore it. Sadly I couldn't think of any other reason behind this as the one you pointed out.

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                    writers were just doing a poor job given that RDA didn't want to be involved anymore, but it seems that even when he was willing to come back the writers couldn't be bothered
                    I'm not sure it was up to the writers at that time. I think they would love to have RDA on board as much as we would. I remember reading about it but not sure what was the reason for his absence in for example Unending
                    You know what they say, if you don't know what it's all about, it's usually about money
                    Last edited by kusanagi; 10 January 2013, 04:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

mitchell was really o'neill lite (even T said that mitchell kinda reminded him of O'Neill but at the same time mitchell was deluded enough to think he had possessed even one iota of the ability needed to fill jack's "sizeable and shiny shoes."

Comment

I think Ben Browder himself said that no one could be RDA but it seems like the flyboys that later came along (Mitchell/Sheppard) just followed the mould of Jack....
                        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          mitchell was really o'neill lite (even T said that mitchell kinda reminded him of O'Neill but at the same time mitchell was deluded enough to think he had possessed even one iota of the ability needed to fill jack's "sizeable and shiny shoes."
                          He wasn't supposed to be like O'Neill per se but the idea was to get someone to fit into the stereotype (of a leader being a man). The jokes were there to make him more likable (learning from "Jonas" experience where the writers practicly made Jonas responsible for Daniel's death!! Not the bast way to introduce new member of any team ). Young, handsome with sense of humour and above all great hero who saved the world and almost died doing so. Yes, Cam is a walking stereotype (if not a cliche).

Just to be clear, I like Cam
                          sigpic

Comment

uh, well... rda's not that into sam/jack (amanda only beating him a bit), so i'm not sure asking him would do anything.

he's not against it, i've just gotten the impression he doesn't care either way. he likes playing with it, but that's it. that's the impression i've gotten. (and amanda doesn't want it to over-whelm her character)
                            There are times I've heard Rick respond and it's like certain aspects of the show are a distant memory to him - bummed me out a few times. But I get that while we live with these people that we love (Sam/Jack) on an almost daily basis, that's not necessarily the case with the actors and I don't blame them for that. It's a job they did exceptionally well, resulting in us being on this thread, years after the show has ended.

So I really don't care who doesn't accept or know it, but I know without any doubt, that Sam and Jack are in love, together and as Sally always says

**So Married**

to be honest i dont think i would dare ask either Rick or Amanda about sam and jack. I like to hear the answers they come up with when asked, but i dont think personally i would ask them
                            Why not?

The worst that could happen is that Rick would ask....

Sam and who?

i don't think either one of them are that interested in 'ships'.
                            Sal you have the best Sam pics. I love your avi.

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            In the recent interviews/cons I've heard about recently, AT has actually gotten quite playful with the 'ship. I've heard reports of her talking about "fishing". And not the innocent kind.
                            I think Amanda realizes that the Shippers sort of got the short end of the stick in terms of confirmation. She's said recently that they should have done something and she hinted to things we've mentioned on the thread, if memory serves me correctly, like maybe them waking up together or out at dinner, something. I don't remember who posted the link but it was good.

There was the fishing one where someone asked what would Sam and Jack be doing now and she said: 'Fishing' and everyone laughed because everyone knows what it means. They'd be at the cabin, Sam would be mixing up some martinis, then they'd go inside and do, you know, stuff. '

At the end she said 'I'm blushing' and laughed. She actually put down the mike and put her hands to her face cause she really was blushing. It was classic.

I understand that during the show she didn't want Sam to move from the great character she was, to the girl who needed a boyfriend, but I think she understands how we Shippers feel and I appreciate that even now when she's asked about Sam and Jack, Amanda is gracious and tries to make us happy and give us something.

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                            If you get the chance, yes.

**says in best Yoda voice**

A true Shipper you are.

Yes.

Hmm *nods*

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
                            I'm not sure it was up to the writers at that time. I think they would love to have RDA on board as much as we would. I remember reading about it but not sure what was the reason for his absence in for example Unending
                            You know what they say, if you don't know what it's all about, it's usually about money
                            Yeah. I always thought Unending was an ideal opportunity for us to have a Jack and Sam 'moment' like they did for Daniel and Vala.

Anyways....
                            sigpic
                            sig by Mada
                            As a matter of FIC

Comment

*silence*

Guess I'm the only one here

*looks around*

Hmm

**sits on the floor in the middle of the room - alone**
                              sigpic
                              sig by Mada
                              As a matter of FIC

Comment

You're not alone!
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X