No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate the inconsistencies in that too. Maybe it's just an oversight (again!) by the props and research people. I'd just go with 1957, which would make him too young for any involvement in the Vietnam War. (And that also makes him merely 11 years older than Sam )
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
      Hate the inconsistencies in that too. Maybe it's just an oversight (again!) by the props and research people. I'd just go with 1957, which would make him too young for any involvement in the Vietnam War. (And that also makes him merely 11 years older than Sam )
      But if Jack was born in 1957, graduated high school when he was 18 years and finished the Academy four years later (I don't know how long it takes/took to go enlisted->officer route) then he wouldn't have the 22 years time in service needed to be a full bird colonel in the pilot, let alone the movie.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        So are you taking his age to be from 1952? According to wikipedia they stopped handing out the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal in 1973. If he'd been born in '56 or '57, he would have graduated in in '73, so he wouldn't have been able to earn that particular medal.

(Is this insane that I'm rambling about this? All this because of two lines in this ficlet I'm writing for SaraBahama - I HOPE SHE'S HAPPY!!! Bringing out the OCD in me...)
        *thinking back...* Yeah, I think I put his birth year as 1952. Oh, wait... I have a thing for that!

I made this to help me out with my After series.

*checks* Yup. I have him born in '52, and Sam in '68 (same as me!). That makes him 16 years her senior.

ETA: I think that in my thoughts, Jack was a grunt in Vietnam. He looked around, realized that there were two clear strata: The dumped-upon and the dump-ers upon. Being brighter than your average rock, he chose to be in the latter group (though with less dumping-upon because he's a good guy).
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

*thinking back...* Yeah, I think I put his birth year as 1952. Oh, wait... I have a thing for that!

I made this to help me out with my After series.

*checks* Yup. I have him born in '52, and Sam in '68 (same as me!). That makes him 16 years her senior.

ETA: I think that in my thoughts, Jack was a grunt in Vietnam. He looked around, realized that there were two clear strata: The dumped-upon and the dump-ers upon. Being brighter than your average rock, he chose to be in the latter group (though with less dumping-upon because he's a good guy).
          if jack was born in 52 how can he be 60 in 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            if jack was born in 52 how can he be 60 in 2013?
            Prop canon shows his birthday being in October, so in the months before October 2013 he's still 60 years old... Just like Sam is still 44 years old in 2013 (with her birthday being either in May - Orlin - or December from prop canon).
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Prop canon shows his birthday being in October, so in the months before October 2013 he's still 60 years old... Just like Sam is still 44 years old in 2013 (with her birthday being either in May - Orlin - or December from prop canon).
              right.

Comment

Yeah, I'm leaning towards 1952 being the more accurate date. It's possible that Jack was just rounding when talking to Kynthia. In "Fragile Balance", Hammond says "More than 30 years" which is again, just a rounding thing. It just makes more sense for his rank etc.

Thanks Pol - that's a very handy graphic

Comment

The way I reconciled his Vietnam Service Ribbon, is that Jack was born in 1952 and volunteered for the Air Force to avoid the draft when he turned 18 in 1970.

Jack's first posting as an enlisted airman was to Vietnam (hence the ribbon) and somehow ended up in VC controlled territory. He made it out of there showing exceptional field skills, tactical sense and leadership abilities. During the debriefing came to the attention of some spooks who encouraged him to become a lifer and sponsored him either to the Academy or OCS. Upon being commissioned was assigned to a part of the Air Force involved in black ops.

It was in this part of the USAF that as a captain in 1982 he went into what was East Germany on mission that went FUBAR as detailed in The Gamekeeper.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Happy Birthday Nola!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                      Happy Birthday Nola!!!!!!!
                      From me too Nola. Have a great one.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Mada
                      As a matter of FIC

Comment

The way I reconciled his Vietnam Service Ribbon, is that Jack was born in 1952 and volunteered for the Air Force to avoid the draft when he turned 18 in 1970.

Jack's first posting as an enlisted airman was to Vietnam (hence the ribbon) and somehow ended up in VC controlled territory. He made it out of there showing exceptional field skills, tactical sense and leadership abilities. During the debriefing came to the attention of some spooks who encouraged him to become a lifer and sponsored him either to the Academy or OCS. Upon being commissioned was assigned to a part of the Air Force involved in black ops.

It was in this part of the USAF that as a captain in 1982 he went into what was East Germany on mission that went FUBAR as detailed in The Gamekeeper.
                        Egads, you mentioned East Germany and 1982 in the same sentence LOL. My father is retired USAF and did black ops during that period (we lived in West Germany when the Berlin Wall fell). There are moments when I read about Jack O'Neill and I side-eye my dad a bit. Although my dad was too young for Vietnam (by about a year or two), he enlisted, got sponsored through OTS and became a pilot.

Crraaaaazzzyyy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...Neill_Tree.png
                          Looking at the table you have Sam getting a fourth star, a rank only one woman has achieved, thus far in real life, Ann Dunwoody.

I would expect the person proudest of Sam achieving such rank would of course be

Comment

Looking at the table you have Sam getting a fourth star, a rank only one woman has achieved, thus far in real life, Ann Dunwoody.

I would expect the person proudest of Sam achieving such rank would of course be
                            i could imagine sam getting her first star sometime this year. i mean how long do you have to be in command of a ship before you get promoted?

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                              While Pete was an appealing guy (before he spudded and turned stalker and annoying in Threads), who would pick him (even before the aforementioned issues) over sex-on-legs-everything-manly-O'Neill?
                              and IDIOT!!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                                The different kinds of ribbons they've used for him are confusing and I don't know why they couldn't just get it right the first time, or at least stick to their correct version from the second time. But overall, I can live with it - I find it more annoying that Sam didn't gain any during her time in the Program, even though she was awarded at least one in the beginning and probably has commendations coming out of her six.
                                Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                                I think what bugs me is that you know...PROPS person. This is what you do. Make props. I almost feel like someone was like, "Oh look! Some ribbons!" (I know they have a *lot* of props, but this one seems rather important!).

This should not perturb me this much...
                                TPTB probably didn't reckon on how much attention would be paid to details by its two fan bases (sci-fi and shipper fans). Although, knowing how sci-fi fans (I'm among them) have created full alien language dictionaries, I don't know how they didn't anticipate). Anyway, it smacks of laziness if you ask me! Even if you thought most people wouldn't notice, get it right for fans in the military who would!
                                sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Working...
                                X