No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who don't regularly read Joe Mallozzi's blog, I thought that I would share with you something interesting. He has done a run-down of deleted scenes from Ripple Effect, and here's one scene that got cut:

------------------
    Scene 38: Black Mitchell and Black Carter scheme and disappear into the elevator

We were watching the dailies of this scene over lunch one day when I saw something that made me choke on my turkey club. In more than one take, Black Mitchell and Black Carter discuss as they head toward the elevator and then, inexplicably, take one another’s hand and step inside. As the elevator doors close, they lean in for a kiss … What the hell? I went down to set and asked Peter DeLuise, the episode’s director, what the thinking was behind that scene. He explained that he was just offering up a visual cue to the relationship being hinted at throughout the episode.

Apparently, Peter had assumed that the references to AU Mitchell’s dinner at the Hunan House (which didn’t make the cut), AU Carter’s pregnancy and honeymoon, all pointed to the fact that these two were “an item.” An interesting interpretation I’d never thought of — and not the one intended.
    ------------------

I am SO glad that Joe intervened and had that deleted! It also made me realize how much leeway a director has in interpreting, and therefore, conveying, various scenes in a script.

Comment

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post
      For those of you who don't regularly read Joe Mallozzi's blog, I thought that I would share with you something interesting. He has done a run-down of deleted scenes from Ripple Effect, and here's one scene that got cut:

------------------
      Scene 38: Black Mitchell and Black Carter scheme and disappear into the elevator

We were watching the dailies of this scene over lunch one day when I saw something that made me choke on my turkey club. In more than one take, Black Mitchell and Black Carter discuss as they head toward the elevator and then, inexplicably, take one another’s hand and step inside. As the elevator doors close, they lean in for a kiss … What the hell? I went down to set and asked Peter DeLuise, the episode’s director, what the thinking was behind that scene. He explained that he was just offering up a visual cue to the relationship being hinted at throughout the episode.

Apparently, Peter had assumed that the references to AU Mitchell’s dinner at the Hunan House (which didn’t make the cut), AU Carter’s pregnancy and honeymoon, all pointed to the fact that these two were “an item.” An interesting interpretation I’d never thought of — and not the one intended.
      ------------------

I am SO glad that Joe intervened and had that deleted! It also made me realize how much leeway a director has in interpreting, and therefore, conveying, various scenes in a script.
      Interesting...

Okay, hands up who honestly thought they were hinting at Jack?!! I mean there have never ever been any hints about Cam and Sam at all in canon, other than friendship. How did Peter DeLuise even see that? I know some people out there seem to like this pairing, but personally, I just don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
        Interesting...

Okay, hands up who honestly thought they were hinting at Jack?!! I mean there have never ever been any hints about Cam and Sam at all in canon, other than friendship. How did Peter DeLuise even see that? I know some people out there seem to like this pairing, but personally, I just don't get it
        Who DIDN'T think they were hinting at Jack? Why on Earth, when there never was ANYTHING between Mitchell and Sam, would they have hinted at them being together? Bizarre. I guess, in a parallel universe, it would have been possible for Sara and Jack to still be together, and in that case, I don't think that Jack would have even thought of Sam in anything other than a comrade-like respect. (I see him as totally loyal to the one he's with.) But that's the only way I can see Sam (even a differently-moraled one) with Mitchell.
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Interesting...
          Are they INSANE? I never thought of anyone but Jack...and was disappointed that Janet didn't bluntly state as much when they mentioned the pregnancy and honeymoon in that ep.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          Who DIDN'T think they were hinting at Jack? Why on Earth, when there never was ANYTHING between Mitchell and Sam, would they have hinted at them being together? Bizarre. I guess, in a parallel universe, it would have been possible for Sara and Jack to still be together, and in that case, I don't think that Jack would have even thought of Sam in anything other than a comrade-like respect. (I see him as totally loyal to the one he's with.) But that's the only way I can see Sam (even a differently-moraled one) with Mitchell.
          AND...even a differently-moraled Carter would still have the problem of the regs! Even in an AU. Why would the director think that after 8 years of Jack and Sam not being able to be together because of the regs, that suddenly it's ok to think of Cam & Sam as an 'item'?!

And the shippy-hippy in me is ok with people who pair differently than me. I think they have less 'evidence' than the S/J pairing...but if they are ok with leaving me to enjoy my pairing, I'm ok to leave them to theirs.

I see Sam's relationship with Cam, Daniel, and Teal'c as brotherly -a family of choice rather than blood. There is a lot of love in that kind of relationship to be explored, especially in a good fic. I can't help but think that each of those men watched Sam's back because a) they loved her like brothers, and b) they loved and/or respected Jack and made sure they brought her back home to him.
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The little devil in me says that black Sam married and that's why she's evil! It obviously threw her over the edge.

Comment

That would send anyone over the edge!
              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Interesting...

Yeah, I know! It really makes me wish that Brad and Rob had agreed with Joe about confirming Sam and Jack's relationship post-Threads. This way, there wouldn't have been any kind of misunderstanding as to the relationship dynamics between each character. Of course, one could argue that, as it was an AR Cam and AR Sam, they *could* have played them as a couple, and it wouldn't have affected our own Sam and Jack. But, I like to believe that Sam and Jack are together... in *all* realities

Comment

Talking about cute pictures (somewhere)....

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                    My take on the Sam and Jack relationship is: After Threads they realized their feelings, went to the cabin and did some talking (more Sam than Jack), Sam requested a transfer to Area 51 where Jack continued working at the SGC, they were married, and then Jack transferred to Homeworld Security. Yep, that's it. So married and together, legally. No regs to get in the way.
                    Yup, that's what happened.
                    Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post
                      Yeah, I know! It really makes me wish that Brad and Rob had agreed with Joe about confirming Sam and Jack's relationship post-Threads. This way, there wouldn't have been any kind of misunderstanding as to the relationship dynamics between each character. Of course, one could argue that, as it was an AR Cam and AR Sam, they *could* have played them as a couple, and it wouldn't have affected our own Sam and Jack. But, I like to believe that Sam and Jack are together... in *all* realities
                      You're wright! That's why I can't understand why Sam married Rodney in "Road not taken" - Rodney's a boy and SAm needs a man in her life

Comment

I'm sure you've all seen this by now, but I'm catching up on Joe's blog. He wrote this:

Answer: In my mind, Jack is retired and has settled down with Carter who is head of all off-world-related R&D.
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                          My take on the Sam and Jack relationship is: After Threads they realized their feelings, went to the cabin and did some talking (more Sam than Jack), Sam requested a transfer to Area 51 where Jack continued working at the SGC, they were married, and then Jack transferred to Homeworld Security. Yep, that's it. So married and together, legally. No regs to get in the way.
                          Yep, that sounds perfect!

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          The little devil in me says that black Sam married and that's why she's evil! It obviously threw her over the edge.
                          That's what I thought too
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            I'm sure you've all seen this by now, but I'm catching up on Joe's blog. He wrote this:
                            I hadn't seen that. Thanks for posting it!

I only wish we'd been able to see it in more than his "mind". I'd like to see it on screen, please.
                            sigpic
                            My Stories: FFdotNet
                            My Stories AO3
                            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Just to clarify: JM wasn't referring to the Carter from the universe with Janet and Martouf. JM confirmed that *that* Carter was with Jack and having his child. All we knew about "Evil" Carter was that she had gotten married and came back from her honeymoon.

I don't subscribe to the whole Mitchell/Carter thing that JM sees, but it was another universe, so what do we know?

This is my theory as well, especially since her wedding would have coincided exactly with when her marriage to Pete would have taken place.
                              sigpic
                              The Return of King Arthur
                              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                                Just to clarify: JM wasn't referring to the Carter from the universe with Janet and Martouf. JM confirmed that *that* Carter was with Jack and having his child. All we knew about "Evil" Carter was that she had gotten married and came back from her honeymoon.

I don't subscribe to the whole Mitchell/Carter thing that JM sees, but it was another universe, so what do we know?

This is my theory as well, especially since her wedding would have coincided exactly with when her marriage to Pete would have taken place.
                                Jm was EP and wrote the episode but it was PDL (the director) who wanted Cam/Sam; thankfully it was nixed by JM

Comment

Working...
                                X