Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    OMGosh. I can't imagine reading that at all. No offense to the author of said fic, but...Sam becoming "mentally unstable" because she couldn't rescure Jack? *scratches head*. Dunno...
    Totally agree! Kinda OOC, IMHO.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Great vids. Really enjoyed them. Just read about MGM. Hey, keep hope alive right!

Sam and Jack forever!!!!!
      sigpic
      sig by Mada
      As a matter of FIC

Comment

OT:
        Spoiler:
        Shared this on the WooHoo thread, but wanted to do so here, too. Oh, super major geek moment today, I bought a brand new, TWO TERABYTE drive today.

(eying the drive) Oh, wow, that's so hot!

(eying Sam) Oh yeah.
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

The discussion about Edora/Laira/etc. sort of got me to thinking about various episodes and why Jack "gave up" after 100 days.

His personal mantra/motto/whatever is "no one gets left behind ... ever". Or so it has seemed to me throughout the series.

He obviously didn't give up when he was a prisoner for four(?) months in Iraq. And he survived and came home.

He wasn't about to give up in "Solitudes" and he wouldn't let Sam give up either. He refused to give up thinking they would be rescued (at least until he was pretty sure he was about to die and no rescue was in sight), or that Sam would find a way to save them. And he had no way of knowing for sure that Daniel, Teal'c and Hammond were, in fact, trying to find them.

Not sure which episodes from there to "Out of Mind" and "Into the Fire" would fall into the "No one gets left behind" category, but this certainly did. They were missing for something like three weeks, had no way of knowing if they could get themselves out of the situation, and yet 16 men (four SG teams) came to rescue them, and succeeded (and only about half of those men came back alive - going by the number that were being held prisoner in front of the Stargage by General what's-his-name); and every one of those men volunteered freely to participate in the rescue, knowing they might not survive.

Then we have Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know where he, Daniel and Teal'c didn't hesitate to volunteer to go after Jacob, without really knowing what they were getting themselves into. They weren't about to leave Jacob "behind".

So, now Jack has been stranded on Edora for a "mere" 3 months, with apparently no way to get home. The only differences I can see between this and those other experiences is he is in no danger on Edora, and it's been longer than those other times (except Iraq).

So, is being in no real danger, having lots of hard work to occupy him, and a pretty woman to come home to every night the real reason he gave up after what I personally think wasn't all that much time? In those other times, he had no reason to really and truly believe people were going to attempt to find him and rescue him, yet he didn't give up, and he was rescued (along with whoever was with him). But he did give up fairly easily on Edora. Because it was too comfortable and subconsciously it fit in with what he really wanted?

No, he didn't know if Sam, Daniel or Teal'c had survived, but considering how many previous times SG1 had beaten the odds and survived, why give up this time (even in spite of the gate being "apparently" destroyed)?

Just throwing this out to see what anybody thinks. Since there has been some definite lagtime on this thread recently, I just thought I'd toss this out there.

Comment

My opinion on Jack's motivations...

There's a saying among military families - "Home is where the Air Force sends us." People talk about Jack "giving up" but I don't think he did. I think he chose to work with what he had. His life wasn't in immediate danger (like when he was in Iraq). His life was the everyday chores of Edora. Realistically, he understood the laws of physics and as far as he knew it could take his team years to get to him. How long do you hover in limbo?

The military answer is you don't hover. They might rescue you tomorrow. They might rescue you in ten years. When I moved (on average of every 2 years) while growing up, my parents made every effort to make the new place "home". We might not be there in a year, but that wasn't a factor in choosing to settle down. The future is what it is and you deal with it when it comes.

Whatever the end result, Jack couldn't change it. I think the future was a non-issue for him. Today was all he had and so today was what he was going to live.

People who are used to a constant rotation of people in their lives (as military families are) can easily shift from one situation to the next. Packing away the things of a former life doesn't mean you've given up. It means that for the sake of your own sanity and survival you're choosing not to dwell there. It's very, very, very different and a vital distinction for anyone in that situation. You mourn and you move forward without forgetting. Remaining stalwartly alone and staunchly single benefits no one, least of all Jack. Just as Laira was upfront about what she wanted, he was very honest in telling her that he wasn't going to be entirely Edoran - that a part of him was still with the life he no longer had.

As far as he was concerned whatever happened, well, happened.

Because as I'm sure anyone here can attest, the future is rarely - if ever - certain.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              But he did give up fairly easily on Edora. Because it was too comfortable and subconsciously it fit in with what he really wanted?
              I would say that's a definite possiblity. It's kind of like the lake, no bad guys, no killing, no responsibility. I tend to think he would have gotten bored and antsy after a while though.

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post

The military answer is you don't hover. They might rescue you tomorrow. They might rescue you in ten years. When I moved (on average of every 2 years) while growing up, my parents made every effort to make the new place "home". We might not be there in a year, but that wasn't a factor in choosing to settle down. The future is what it is and you deal with it when it comes.

Whatever the end result, Jack couldn't change it. I think the future was a non-issue for him. Today was all he had and so today was what he was going to live.
              That's a pretty different way of looking at it also. I never thought about military families in that context. So with Jack being career military it really wouldn't be all that difficult for him to adapt.

I can see it happening that way.

Doesn't change the fact I still can't stand Laira.
              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by cdm View Post
                I would say that's a definite possiblity. It's kind of like the lake, no bad guys, no killing, no responsibility. I tend to think he would have gotten bored and antsy after a while though.

That's a pretty different way of looking at it also. I never thought about military families in that context. So with Jack being career military it really wouldn't be all that difficult for him to adapt.

I can see it happening that way.

Doesn't change the fact I still can't stand Laira.
                LOL That's okay. There are characters I don't like - Elizabeth Weir (sorry Weir fans). It was a personality conflict for me. Had I know her in real life, I would have found her insufferable.

But to jump back on topic here...

A Hundred Days was a great episode to get our peek at how Sam really felt. I think we see a lot of episodes with how Jack feels (in the unspoken way), but this is such a shining moment that we get the nonverbal from Sam

Comment

Okay putting the deadline till tomorrow because I don't have time anyway to sent out stuff; so you still have till tomorrow if you still wanna join in.

!!!SECRET SANTA!!!

What is Secret Santa?
                  Everyone who signs up for it makes something for another person. You can make anything you like. Music videos, fanmix, icons, wallpapers, headers, poem, fics, stories, picture stories, ... Be creative, everything is a go.
                  So you'll be making something for someone but you'll also be getting something.
                  You do have to make something that is related to Sam/Jack, unless you know that person will also be happy with something else.

How does it work?
                  Fill in this form, and mail it to: [email protected]
                  Subject line should be: Secret Santa Sam/Jack thread. If you don't do this, it will end up in my spam!!!

Your E-mail: So I can contact you (it will not go to the person who has to make something for you). Please do use the same e-mail when sending me your form, it makes things easier for me
                  Nickname: and name if you want it to be personal. This is NOT COMPULSORY. Since I'm not on here much, nicknames (full nicknames that is) will help me!
                  Things you want to make: Just tell me what your willing to make, if you are willing to do everything, just say so.
                  Things you don't want to make:
                  Things you really like made for you:
                  Things you don't like made for you:
                  Favourite colour, episode, moment, picture, song, quote, plotbunny,other shows: obviously you don't have to answer on everything but it might help the person who makes something for you to give you what you really like!
                  message for your secret santa: be original, cause it is funny. Please don't skip it because your secret santa might like it

Deadlines:
                  Singing up can be until 5th November then I'll send the assignments out around the 8th of November.

Assignments have to be in my mailbox before the 15th December! Then I'll be mailing them off to everyone And if you want you can post them on this thread.

Attention:
                  If I got your e-mail of signing up and also later when you send me the assignment i'll mail you back as soon as possible, so you know I got your e-mail. If you didn't get a e-mail back, I didn't get it. Sometimes it might take a few days though.

I could also do with some people who wants to be a back-up when someone can't make something or forgot, cause i have experienced that from other years. If you wanna be a back-up please add that to your mail. Thanks!!!

Also if you know shippers who aren't on this thread any more, or on GW any more but still wanna participate, you can always send this message.

!!!SECRET SANTA!!!

Comment

And...look at the parallels. Laira a mourned for 100 days, doing whatever it was her culture defined ( i thin she said she stayed inside, etc...). Sam redefined the laws of physics for 100 days so she would not be forced to mourn.

Shannon's point on military families is well stated. I was a Navy brat until my folks divorced and I later served in the Air Force. You live in the "now" with all of your efforts focused on making it work/doing your job/being a family predicated on the fact that you, your job, or your colleagues (or friends, if you're 7) might not be there tomorrow (transfers/deployments, etc.)

The episode has always been for me a Sam episode. She reveals so much. And also for Jack. He fot a taste of his future (retirement, though forced in his) and, faced with his choices, chose to adapt.

Personally, I don't DISlike Laira, but I don't like her either. She was a...dunno...annoying but necessary plot device. They (TPTB) had to give Jack a reason to be torn at the end. The potential kid thing just ticked me off and was written by someone who's never lost a child, I'd bet.
                    Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

All of the comments on the military life and adapting, etc. makes way more sense than that Jack simply gave up (which is the reason given in most fanfic I've read about him being on Edora).

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                        Totally agree! Kinda OOC, IMHO.
                        I concur

Comment

Hm. I don't go with the theory that Jack 'gave up'. He wood have known that at some point his team wood have found a way to save him, be it by their own methods or by enlisting outside help such as the Asgard, the Tok'ra etc. There wood have been a ship (didn't they say it wood take about a year?), and he must have known that. I think he gave in to Laira's needs because he cared about her, and because he wanted to.

*ducks and runs*

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            And...look at the parallels. Laira a mourned for 100 days, doing whatever it was her culture defined ( i thin she said she stayed inside, etc...). Sam redefined the laws of physics for 100 days so she would not be forced to mourn.

Shannon's point on military families is well stated. I was a Navy brat until my folks divorced and I later served in the Air Force. You live in the "now" with all of your efforts focused on making it work/doing your job/being a family predicated on the fact that you, your job, or your colleagues (or friends, if you're 7) might not be there tomorrow (transfers/deployments, etc.)

The episode has always been for me a Sam episode. She reveals so much. And also for Jack. He fot a taste of his future (retirement, though forced in his) and, faced with his choices, chose to adapt.

Personally, I don't DISlike Laira, but I don't like her either. She was a...dunno...annoying but necessary plot device. They (TPTB) had to give Jack a reason to be torn at the end. The potential kid thing just ticked me off and was written by someone who's never lost a child, I'd bet.
                            I haven't lost a child, so it probably didn't register but if I think about it...sounds like Jack hit a plot hole. This actually just gave me an in-canon ficlet idea... :: runs off ::

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                              Hm. I don't go with the theory that Jack 'gave up'. He wood have known that at some point his team wood have found a way to save him, be it by their own methods or by enlisting outside help such as the Asgard, the Tok'ra etc. There wood have been a ship (didn't they say it wood take about a year?), and he must have known that. I think he gave in to Laira's needs because he cared about her, and because he wanted to.

*ducks and runs*
                              So he gave in to Laira because he was grateful?

Comment

I'm so damn confused right now it ain't even funny. I have no idea what the heck you guys are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X