Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Personally, I just had some blue jello, which I thought was rather appropriate.
    I tried blue jello once, and it was ok. But I prefer red or green and using ginger ale as the liquid in it. Yum.

OT cookies:
    Spoiler:
    As for cookies, my favorites are short bread cookies with M&M's in them. There's a restaurant in Juneau (Alaska) that makes the best ones of these I've ever had. I used to get a few when I lived there. I've even been known to call them up and ask them to send me a dozen on occasion.

Comment

OT Art/Pol's Question:
      Spoiler:
      I don't think this is easy to answer because as you have said, it isn't ours in the first place, but what we create with it . . . is. A person's inspiration or creativity to make art is unique and a lot of work and thought process goes into creating that final product . . . some more than others. After creating that artwork, a sense of joy and sharing emerges, and people post their creations on the internet/forums for feedback or just the enjoyment of sharing. Unfortunately (fortunately for others), when posting to the internet, those artworks become public property due to snurching. My take on the whole thing is, if it isn't yours . . . don't use it or credit it when you do. If you don't know who made it, just mention that you don't and someone will help you out on who did.

Sam and Jack -
      I am one of those viewers who hasn't seen all of Season 10 (I have finally finished Season 9 and have seen all the way to The Shroud in Season 10 . . . thanks to my knee surgery that allows me to relax) and though I don't really enjoy the Ori storyline (and miss Jack) it is interesting to watch and observe Sam through the two final seasons. I found I enjoy Season 10 more than 9, and also like learning who Sam has become now that she is with Jack. I found Line in the Sand to be very shippy, with all the references to Jack, whether it is something Sam says or does. I have a few more episodes to watch and then on to the movies, and eventually movie three. Yes, I still believe.
      Last edited by Treknik; 26 October 2010, 05:55 AM.
      sigpic
      I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
        OT Reply -

Sam and Jack -
        I am one of those viewers who hasn't seen all of Season 10 (I have finally finished Season 9 and have seen all the way to The Shroud in Season 10 . . . thanks to my knee surgery that allows me to relax) and though I don't really enjoy the Ori storyline (and miss Jack) it is interesting to watch and observe Sam through the two final seasons. I found I enjoy Season 10 more than 9, and also like learning who Sam has become now that she is with Jack. I found Line in the Sand to be very shippy, with all the references to Jack, whether it is something Sam says or does. I have a few more episodes to watch and then on to the movies, and eventually movie three. Yes, I still believe.

I'm not to crazy about the Ori either. I don't know but they don't work for me. As a kid I was really into the Arthur and the knights of the round table mythology, but the way they integrated it into the Stargate universe... for me it did not fit.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          I agreed with everything you said until this point

Characters doing (or saying) weird things likely means they're out of character. I find this to be the most commented on parts of a story. Characters forced to behave a certain way (or out of character) to service a plot deserve to be called out.

If you're putting it out on the internet for the public to read, only the most naive person would expect to get nothing but praise A writer can benefit from a critique, if they're willing to get past the knee-jerk reaction of hate and instant disagreement they have for the reviewer.

I'm a pretty blunt person and have no trouble criticising something if I've taken the time to read it and its left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Normally, I'll do it constructively and not totally slam the fragile little writers ego. And I speak as a writer who has had stuff go straight to producers, script readers and contest judges who work in the entertainment industry and who has been slammed by fanfic reviewers. Take what you can from every review and move on.

Trust me. A FANFIC reviewer is nothing compared to most types of critique.
          Here's my reasoning behind why I said that:

I really don't believe that some people get the concept of "in character". They see the wonderful storylines, and then fashion their own stories--wanting to see what they would want to experience. I read a story once where Jack kept calling Sam, "My darling" and surprised her with roses and champagne and dancing--and it was so over the top and so NOT them that I burst out laughing. But obviously that person thought all that was the epitome of romantic. I don't think with that person there would have been any point in critiquing that, because they were merely using the names as vehicles for their own romanticized ideals, and I don't think that any amount of criticism or gentle nudging would have helped that.

For me, to hear "This reads like an episode" or "This is SO them!" are the best reviews that I can receive. I love it when I've managed to nail the characters.

And I'm going to stop there, and NOT take that guttery image even One. Step. Further.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            Here's my reasoning behind why I said that:

I really don't believe that some people get the concept of "in character". They see the wonderful storylines, and then fashion their own stories--wanting to see what they would want to experience. I read a story once where Jack kept calling Sam, "My darling" and surprised her with roses and champagne and dancing--and it was so over the top and so NOT them that I burst out laughing. But obviously that person thought all that was the epitome of romantic. I don't think with that person there would have been any point in critiquing that, because they were merely using the names as vehicles for their own romanticized ideals, and I don't think that any amount of criticism or gentle nudging would have helped that.
            Oh my. Well, I can see what you mean. I've have just stopped and not gone on. But, most fic isn't over the top like that and so that's why I posted what I did...

For me, to hear "This reads like an episode" or "This is SO them!" are the best reviews that I can receive. I love it when I've managed to nail the characters.
            Yup exactly

And I'm going to stop there, and NOT take that guttery image even One. Step. Further.
            Sounds like the perfect set-up for a little ficlet to me....

Jack hammering some NAILS and he hits his finger..... hilarity and double entendre follows.... or Sam hammering some...err, you get the idea....
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I think in general, when it comes to fanfic reviews, so long as there's *something* useful, I'm willing to listen. It's when someone complains that it's S/J (really, didn't they read the description?) or I get "this sucks" that I roll my eyes.

I can take pretty hard criticism too (I will take the offensive though and challenge the person if I can, but the best criticism I ever got for an original short story I wrote was "I don't understand' because I'd spent years writing my stories in my own universe and when I finally tried one in the light of day, no one else understood. It revamped my writing and the re-write got really positive feedback).

One of the things I wish I could find is a beta the way my very first beta...beta'd...(uh...hmm...). If I have even an ounce of writing skill I attribute it to her who was willing to argue fine character points with me all the live long day (it's probably why I write Captain Kathryn Janeway eighty times better than I write S/J. I admit it. I don't think my early S/J stuff is all that great...or necessarily even my recent stuff LOL).

The difficult with OOC and fanfic is that yes, there is GROSS OOC (as in, no way, no how, not on God's green Earth)...but then there's also minor interpretation. To some extent, the goal as a fanfic writer, I think, is to get the "average" of what a group of writers has created. This is why I'm okay reading/writing AU - so long as the character follows a logical progression, that's all I'm asking for. If Jack is buying Sam roses and calling her darling and he's been possessed by an alien, okay. If he's doing it within the stretch of the show...

I'm wondering what show they're watching (didn't RDA do a soap opera...)

I maybe rambling here. I'm just throwing in my two cents on the critique.

But if I've never said it before - I want honest critique on my stories. If you hate it, I don't mind knowing, I just want to know WHY. I may disagree and keep on the way I am (and we part ways amicably...I hope) or I may stop and change.

Ultimately, for me, fanfic is a writing exercise. I write fanfic because I enjoy writing my own original stories - if that makes any sense

Comment

On Jell-O:
                I never liked it as a child. Ate some for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long this year at a friend's and found it ok. I prefer ice cream. (To get back into the ice cream discussion. ;P)

I think we could use some happy shippy moments:

Where does this come from? I can't remember the episode name. Help someone?
                sigpic
                Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Have some more shippy pics:

Comment

LadyGalaxyJ: It's from season 8, Sacrifices (during Rya'c's wedding)
                    sigpic

Comment

I typically don't bother to leave a review for a fic I haven't enjoyed either. Though, I do have a different opinion as far as the bolded goes. People that post in a public medium need to have skin thick enough to be able to take criticism or, like some, post that they only want to hear good things about their fic - which, in that case, I won't read a single word of it.
                      I agree. I'm fine, and even flattered in a way, to get constructive critism from readers. I know that any work I write can be improved, and I like that some of my readers will have certain comments about that.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      I'm on "Broca Divide" in my rewatch. For some reason, my DVD player keeps going back and playing this weird scene over and over and over. . .

There's this girl, and this guy, and this bench in a locker room. . .

**giggles**
                      Your's too? Gosh, I thought it was only my DVD going wacko!

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
                      On Jell-O:
                      I never liked it as a child. Ate some for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long this year at a friend's and found it ok. I prefer ice cream. (To get back into the ice cream discussion. ;P)

Where does this come from? I can't remember the episode name. Help someone?
                      I think it's from Season 8's "Sacrifices" when Ry'ac and Kar'yn are married.

Edit: Darn. Too slow.
                      sigpic
                      The Return of King Arthur
                      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                        I think in general, when it comes to fanfic reviews, so long as there's *something* useful, I'm willing to listen. It's when someone complains that it's S/J (really, didn't they read the description?) or I get "this sucks" that I roll my eyes.

I can take pretty hard criticism too (I will take the offensive though and challenge the person if I can, but the best criticism I ever got for an original short story I wrote was "I don't understand' because I'd spent years writing my stories in my own universe and when I finally tried one in the light of day, no one else understood. It revamped my writing and the re-write got really positive feedback).

One of the things I wish I could find is a beta the way my very first beta...beta'd...(uh...hmm...). If I have even an ounce of writing skill I attribute it to her who was willing to argue fine character points with me all the live long day (it's probably why I write Captain Kathryn Janeway eighty times better than I write S/J. I admit it. I don't think my early S/J stuff is all that great...or necessarily even my recent stuff LOL).

The difficult with OOC and fanfic is that yes, there is GROSS OOC (as in, no way, no how, not on God's green Earth)...but then there's also minor interpretation. To some extent, the goal as a fanfic writer, I think, is to get the "average" of what a group of writers has created. This is why I'm okay reading/writing AU - so long as the character follows a logical progression, that's all I'm asking for. If Jack is buying Sam roses and calling her darling and he's been possessed by an alien, okay. If he's doing it within the stretch of the show...

I'm wondering what show they're watching (didn't RDA do a soap opera...)

I maybe rambling here. I'm just throwing in my two cents on the critique.

But if I've never said it before - I want honest critique on my stories. If you hate it, I don't mind knowing, I just want to know WHY. I may disagree and keep on the way I am (and we part ways amicably...I hope) or I may stop and change.

Ultimately, for me, fanfic is a writing exercise. I write fanfic because I enjoy writing my own original stories - if that makes any sense
                        I usually don't criticise at all, it's quite easy to hurt someone unintentionally if you are not a native speaker.
                        sigpic

Comment

hey I am watching this episode right now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
                            LadyGalaxyJ: It's from season 8, Sacrifices (during Rya'c's wedding)
                            Yes! For your shippy insights you win a prize:

Comment

I wouldn't show someone Window of Opportunity first unless they're familiar with the characters and the show. For it to be really funny, I think you need to know the characters personalities. Just my opinion, of course, but, start with the pilot (the re-cut because there is total ship there with no dialogue necessary) and then just go from there.
                              She had been exposed just from living with me. LOL. So, she was intrigued. We're now about half-way into season 1.

Trust me. A FANFIC reviewer is nothing compared to most types of critique.
                              But most fanfic writers are writing for their own fun, and aren't trying to be pros. If I don't like a fic, I just don't say anything about it.
                              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Thank you hlndncr
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X