Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    But most fanfic writers are writing for their own fun, and aren't trying to be pros. If I don't like a fic, I just don't say anything about it.
    Me too. Also, some of them are very young! I wrote my first fanfic when I was nine years old, and had my first fic in a zine when I was thirteen. I can't imagine how absolutely devastated I would have been if I'd had adults telling me it was terrible, as of course it was! I probably would never have written anything again.
    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
      I usually don't criticise at all, it's quite easy to hurt someone unintentionally if you are not a native speaker.
      You can still comment on the plot flow etc Sometimes non-native speakers have a better grasp of grammar and syntax than the native speaker because they've had to stop and think about it.

Originally posted by Artie View Post
      Me too. Also, some of them are very young! I wrote my first fanfic when I was nine years old, and had my first fic in a zine when I was thirteen. I can't imagine how absolutely devastated I would have been if I'd had adults telling me it was terrible, as of course it was! I probably would never have written anything again.
      I was really young when I started writing fanfic (I wrote my first original story when I was...well I found one from first grade LOL). I think I was 10 with fanfic...

I'll be honest, I write fanfic as an ego boost...I have certain people that I look for and if they say something I feel like I've won an award (seriously, I love everyone's feedback, but like certain heroes...some words mean more...).

Still. I do like to hear otherwise. I wish I had time to find a writer's circle. I miss my creative writing classes

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
        Your's too? Gosh, I thought it was only my DVD going wacko!
        Mine three. :O

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        I was really young when I started writing fanfic (I wrote my first original story when I was...well I found one from first grade LOL). I think I was 10 with fanfic...

I'll be honest, I write fanfic as an ego boost...I have certain people that I look for and if they say something I feel like I've won an award (seriously, I love everyone's feedback, but like certain heroes...some words mean more...).
        So true. My first fics were for a local TV Show, so we had a small forum where you knew every member. And one day, someone gave me a really good review. It's been too long, I don't remember the when and what - but it was one of those people you look at and tell yourself "Wait. SHE reads my fics?" So, yeah, I was really happy!

OT - First story
        Spoiler:
        You made me think that I did some cleaning in old boxes a couple of weeks ago. I read an original story of mine from second grade. Ugh. o.o It was almost unreadable. xD But still. First a second grader, it was a big story. And I remember my parents telling me when I was older that my teacher had asked to meet them 'cause it was unusual for a young child to write this way. XD

And more On-Topic:

sigpic
        Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
        My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
        Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

I'm not to crazy about the Ori either. I don't know but they don't work for me. As a kid I was really into the Arthur and the knights of the round table mythology, but the way they integrated it into the Stargate universe... for me it did not fit.
          I don't like the Ori (they remind me too much of the Necromangers (sp?) from The Chronicles of Riddick) but I liked the Arthur and the knights of the round table (the Ancient storyline overall really). I find it weird that I like parts of it *scratches head*

I usually don't criticise at all, it's quite easy to hurt someone unintentionally if you are not a native speaker.
          Me too!

Also, I believe that if you have nothing nice to say it's better not to say anything at all. Maybe it's just me *shrug*

I'm about to start another stargate rewatch, as soon as I have some time
          sigpic
          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post

Me too!

Also, I believe that if you have nothing nice to say it's better not to say anything at all. Maybe it's just me *shrug*

I'm about to start another stargate rewatch, as soon as I have some time

Yes and after a while you know which authors you like. You don't have to read stories of writers if you don't like their style.
            The same goes for the pairings, if you are not into Sam/Jack or any other pairing, don't go there. I for one don't like Jack/Daniel slash (don't like it because I see no evidence of it on screen), so I avoid these stories. Why bother with something you know you don't enjoy.
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry about your toe Hedwig! How long does that take to heal?? Hope you are better soon.

Jello:
              I like jello! I'm a red-jello girl, but to be honest, I've never had the blue. I think "JELLO" brand's blue flavor is called Blue Raspberry.

Watched the "commentary" this evening for Avenger 2.0 with Amanda Tapping and Martin Wood and "squeed" when Amanda pointed out the "shippy" moment in the teaser, when she jumps and grabs onto RDA. She said she wasn't expecting it to spark again, so the jump was genuine. And she actually admits that there is love between Carter and O'neill!! So take that, non-shippers!

Comment

Yes and after a while you know which authors you like. You don't have to read stories of writers if you don't like their style.
                The same goes for the pairings, if you are not into Sam/Jack or any other pairing, don't go there. I for one don't like Jack/Daniel slash (don't like it because I see no evidence of it on screen), so I avoid these stories. Why bother with something you know you don't enjoy.
                I agree, this pairing is wrong, on so many levels!! I have a couple good friends who are homosexual males, and they don't like the pairing either (or so they say to me! Anyway, I'm the same way about reading fic... I don't read stuff I know I won't like. It especially annoys me when the label is Sam/Jack, but the story goes off into anti-shippy territory. This upsets me because it's the worst kind of false advertising!!
                This is the main thing I like in fic... and that leads to

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                  I don't like the Ori (they remind me too much of the Necromangers (sp?) from The Chronicles of Riddick) but I liked the Arthur and the knights of the round table (the Ancient storyline overall really). I find it weird that I like parts of it *scratches head*
                  I liked some of the Arthur bits but I could have done without the Ori.

So you'd rather say nothing if you read something that could have potential rather than giving an author an honest (not scathing!) critique?

I realize everyone probably has differing opinions but I can't imagine not giving someone constructive critique in hopes that they get better. I would assume a writer, whether they're doing it for fun or pay, always wants to hone their craft. The best way to do that is to give and accept constructive critique.

I think I was probably about the same age. I started with Star Wars fandom and I would probably cringe if I went back and read some of it now. I cringe at stuff I wrote a year ago. I couldn't imagine re-reading something I wrote 20 years ago!

And while it hurts to not always get praise for your writing, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and critique can be so very beneficial.

I agree not all of it is, though

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post

Watched the "commentary" this evening for Avenger 2.0 with Amanda Tapping and Martin Wood and "squeed" when Amanda pointed out the "shippy" moment in the teaser, when she jumps and grabs onto RDA. She said she wasn't expecting it to spark again, so the jump was genuine. And she actually admits that there is love between Carter and O'neill!! So take that, non-shippers!
                  That isn't one of my favorite episodes so I haven't listened to the commentary. This makes me want to
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

If you'd gotten any grief I would've been like......OK......the child is 9 years old....you expect him/her to produce works that rival Hemingway?!?!??!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                      I liked some of the Arthur bits but I could have done without the Ori.

So you'd rather say nothing if you read something that could have potential rather than giving an author an honest (not scathing!) critique?

I realize everyone probably has differing opinions but I can't imagine not giving someone constructive critique in hopes that they get better. I would assume a writer, whether they're doing it for fun or pay, always wants to hone their craft. The best way to do that is to give and accept constructive critique.

I think I was probably about the same age. I started with Star Wars fandom and I would probably cringe if I went back and read some of it now. I cringe at stuff I wrote a year ago. I couldn't imagine re-reading something I wrote 20 years ago!

And while it hurts to not always get praise for your writing, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and critique can be so very beneficial.

I agree not all of it is, though

That isn't one of my favorite episodes so I haven't listened to the commentary. This makes me want to
                      I would say, most fanfic writers already have someone giving them constructive critique- their beta. Perhaps if someone asks for constructive criticism it's worthwhile to give it to a posted work, but I think most ff writers are doing it to have fun and looking for others to enjoy their fandom along with them. JMHO. I suppose if you said something to the effect of 'I don't quite see eye-to-eye with you on ABC but XYZ made me squee so hard" or something to that effect. I, personally, would find that more palatable than a literary critique of my decidedly non-literary works.
                      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                        I would say, most fanfic writers already have someone giving them constructive critique- their beta. Perhaps if someone asks for constructive criticism it's worthwhile to give it to a posted work, but I think most ff writers are doing it to have fun and looking for others to enjoy their fandom along with them. JMHO. I suppose if you said something to the effect of 'I don't quite see eye-to-eye with you on ABC but XYZ made me squee so hard" or something to that effect. I, personally, would find that more palatable than a literary critique of my decidedly non-literary works.
                        I think that's a good point. I always assume that people are just writing for fun unless they tell me otherwise. I don't give critiques to the amateur trumpet players who play in church, or the really terrible singers who provide the most cringeworthy renditions of songs ever, because they're not professionals and they aren't trying to be. They're just people in my community who enjoy playing the trumpet or singing.

I am a professional, with my fifth book coming out next month, but I write fanfic to relax and play. I have editors who I can count on to be rough on me! This is a social setting for me, not work, and so I figure that people who don't like my pairings or my style or my take on the characters will just pass on by.
                        sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Fanfic / Constructive Criticism OT

Spoiler:

I think if you post anything to the internet you have to expect to receive feedback both positive, constructive and negative. You're posting in an open forum. On LJ you can turn off comments completely I think but not on fanfic.net, it's part of the functionality of the archive and effectively if you're posting there, you are by default, signing up for feedback.

The really negative stuff of "this sucks" and variants thereof, I don't take seriously. I always assume these kind of attacks are someone trolling through and leaving nasty comments for kicks. (On fanfic if they are anon you can delete them now, although ata few years back you couldn't delete them, and you still can't delete signed posts from sock puppets doing the exact same thing). This kind of feedback is where I agree with whoever said 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.'

Equally, there is a whole range of feedback in terms of story content such as "why should Jack want Sam anymore when Sam cheated on him with Pete" or "this was good until the Sam/Jack stuff" or "oh this is AU; I hate AUs" which are not constructive, reveal the reader's own personal slant on the stories/characters and their tastes, and are not really personal to the fic. Again, usually I shrug my shoulders with these and go with the view that everyone has their own take on the characters, stories and what they want to read.

The constructive criticism part of the feedback is the most useful for an author in terms of being able to improve, and I think the hardest thing for a reader to give because there is an art to giving constructive feedback. Sometimes, if the criticism is valid "you've been spelling his name wrong," but the way it's delivered is with a hammer rather than a velvet glove, it's hard to accept.

The key word here is constructive; you don't tear someone down when giving criticism; it's about building them up. I like the sandwich method: positive (what I liked about the fic), constructive (what I felt could be improved) and positive (that I enjoyed the fic and a thank you for sharing). Having said that, I've had lots of constructive criticism and I'm appreciative for all of it even the badly delivered stuff because in the end it's helped improve my writing.

Obviously, the purely positive feedback is great, much appreciated, and a wonderful way to have your ego stroked.

So, I've been watching Evolution recently and just noticed that Jack doesn't appear at all for a really long time and then when he does, it's with Sam briefing him on the plan to capture the Supersoldier and there's a really cute moment when they get in the elevator and she asks him what he thinks, and just before the doors slide shut, he says "I have some notes."

It's so cute.
                          sigpic
                          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                            Fanfic / Constructive Criticism OT

Spoiler:

I think if you post anything to the internet you have to expect to receive feedback both positive, constructive and negative. You're posting in an open forum. On LJ you can turn off comments completely I think but not on fanfic.net, it's part of the functionality of the archive and effectively if you're posting there, you are by default, signing up for feedback.

The really negative stuff of "this sucks" and variants thereof, I don't take seriously. I always assume these kind of attacks are someone trolling through and leaving nasty comments for kicks. (On fanfic if they are anon you can delete them now, although ata few years back you couldn't delete them, and you still can't delete signed posts from sock puppets doing the exact same thing). This kind of feedback is where I agree with whoever said 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.'

Equally, there is a whole range of feedback in terms of story content such as "why should Jack want Sam anymore when Sam cheated on him with Pete" or "this was good until the Sam/Jack stuff" or "oh this is AU; I hate AUs" which are not constructive, reveal the reader's own personal slant on the stories/characters and their tastes, and are not really personal to the fic. Again, usually I shrug my shoulders with these and go with the view that everyone has their own take on the characters, stories and what they want to read.

The constructive criticism part of the feedback is the most useful for an author in terms of being able to improve, and I think the hardest thing for a reader to give because there is an art to giving constructive feedback. Sometimes, if the criticism is valid "you've been spelling his name wrong," but the way it's delivered is with a hammer rather than a velvet glove, it's hard to accept.

The key word here is constructive; you don't tear someone down when giving criticism; it's about building them up. I like the sandwich method: positive (what I liked about the fic), constructive (what I felt could be improved) and positive (that I enjoyed the fic and a thank you for sharing). Having said that, I've had lots of constructive criticism and I'm appreciative for all of it even the badly delivered stuff because in the end it's helped improve my writing.

Obviously, the purely positive feedback is great, much appreciated, and a wonderful way to have your ego stroked.

So, I've been watching Evolution recently and just noticed that Jack doesn't appear at all for a really long time and then when he does, it's with Sam briefing him on the plan to capture the Supersoldier and there's a really cute moment when they get in the elevator and she asks him what he thinks, and just before the doors slide shut, he says "I have some notes."

It's so cute.
                            Re: OT -- Agree. Just the art of the kind of criticism your are describing is something most people are not truly capable of.
                            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

<snip>

It's so cute.
                              I SO agree. I love that little moment. Does anyone know if that was a scripted line or RDA doing his "thing"?
                              sigpic
                              My Stories: FFdotNet
                              My Stories AO3
                              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

It's so cute.
                                I like that moment because it shows Sam acting as a leader in her own right. She runs things by Jack, gets his support and input, but the plan is hers.

And then there's this cute little moment right before they get into the elevator where he asks an obvious question that she answers very bluntly and he responds with one of his typical hand gestures and she points right back at him in the same way. Mirroring and teasing. Adorable.

Comment

Working...
                                X