Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have a problem with Pete doing a background check since that's what I'd expect cops to do, too.

However, I had an issue with him actually showing up on the scene after the background check. Any smart cop would know that high-level organizations (including cops) get involved in dangerous, covert operations that require secrecy. Sam's behavior wasn't odd at all - he knew she's ranked in the Air Force and she essentially told him she's involved in something top secret. His reaction after knowing that is actually more unusual; surely he was trained by his superiors about covert ops?

If someone interrupted such an operation IRL, I imagine they'd be in huge trouble; Pete was lucky he didn't accidentally screw things up, but nor did he help much either. I wanted to shoot the writer(s) at that point for making Pete so stupid - surely there was a better way to get him involved. Perhaps by accident, or normal cop-routines out of the way... Granted he probably didn't know at the specific moment he started following her that Sam would be involved in an operation, but he should've figured it out in his wait-in-car-mode.

Pete is fine as a person, I like Sam happy (and away from Jack ), but I get this horrible feeling that he never went to college and might even be a high-school dropout. Not an intellectual match for Sam at all. (!)

I'm still secretly hoping for a Pete/Lantash thing. (hahaha)

Comment

I don't think you can be a cop if you don't have your high school diploma.

I don't have a problem with him turning up at the stake out as I figure he just probably thought he was qualified to be there. After all he's an experienced cop who's been in heaps of tough situations. He can handle himself, and he's a professional as much as Sam.

We can't blame him for not knowing that there'd be Alien's involved!
      sigpic

Comment

OK, then maybe no college...

As for him thinking he's qualified - that's not an issue with high-level covert ops and such. It actually illustrates more of his inexperience and poor judgement - if he knew how covert ops work, he should know that they're SECRET for good reasons. He shouldn't have gotten so upset in the first place. Family members aren't even supposed to know about particular covert ops either, I think. People in those fields must still know their limitations and jurisdiction. :/ But I'll cut him some slack for not knowing about glowy-eye-chick.

Comment

Ya know, Jack isn't exactly a genius himself. Most shippers don't seem to have a problem with that. I don't have a problem with Pete's level of education, either, whether it's higher, lower or the same as anyone else's and I think it's a bit pompous to make assumptions about people based on their level of education. I've known some highly intelligent people who never even graduated high school. I've also known some imbeciles who couldn't tie their own shoes without help but have masters degrees from college. How "smart" he is doesn't matter, it's what kind of person he is that counts. At least in MY book. Pete may not be as smart as Sam, but he knows he isn't and at least he doesn't condescend to her about it like SOME people do.

Comment

saw Redemption again the other day and have to say, I'm turning into a dyed in the wool Sam/Mackay shipper! Eeek!

edited to say: ooops this is off topic. I'll take the convo elsewhere! Sorry.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Grow up. The poor bast*** isn't the anticrhist, although a lot of fans certainly seem to think he is.
              The 'die peter, die' posts I've seen about on various lists are annoying, as are any threads with fans actively wanting the death of a regular character (at least, who isn't a villain).

Pete isn't a stalker, a killer, a salesman, so what's the problem? It's nice to see Sam happy. And yes, she has feelings for Jack, but how long must she wait till he decides to retire? She's not going to retire in her prime, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I still say if TPTB expect us to take Pete seriously and if they honestly want us to think good thoughts about him then they shouldn't keep mentioning "Stalker" Pete. I'm sure they MEAN it as a joke, but all it does is justify the nagative viewpoint and make it seem as if they aren't taking him seriously and/or consider him to be the b*stard certain groups think he is.
                Uh, no, some fans really think Pete IS a stalker. Mind you, it's only a handful of fans who take the S/J dynamic too seriously. When I watched the Lowdown special, and it was, um, can't recall who mentioned "stalker Pete", which probably has 99% of the audience going, huh? what? what are they talking about? The 'stalker pete' scenario is only with shippers, from what I can see, and only a handful at that.

Comment

I'm with Madeleine. I hope those idiots never learn what it feels like to be well and truly stalked. Maybe they'd have a little more respect for Pete after that. I think the background check was perfectly reasonable and I can even buy the stakeout thing. We don't know how Pete stumbled across that, do we? For all we know, he watched this big black van pull up to her house and watched Sam trot out all dressed in black and looking menacing and thought WTF?! and decided to follow to see what the hell was going on.

Comment

I also noticed the "stalker Pete" bit. Amanda continued her reflection on some of what we discussed in the audio interview. I'm sure it'll start to dry out, similarly when the whole Jonas/Daniel thing started to as well. Of course, Jonas is now back on Langara now, with Daniel back, so I'm sure that helped.

It's too complex a puzzle. This is why I stay out of the shipper debates and just watch

Comment

Originally posted by David
                      I'm sure it'll start to dry out, similarly when the whole Jonas/Daniel thing started to as well.
                      The Jonas/Daniel thing is off topic, but I don't recall it ever "drying out". I doubt the thing with Pete will ever "dry out" either. Not until he dies or Sam dumps him. Or both. SOME people will never be satisfied with anything less than total, atom-level annihilation.

I'd still like to see TPTB treat Pete seriously. Or if they aren't going to do that, then just get rid of the character. It isn't fair to ANYONE to keep stringing us along if nothing real is ever going to come of it (other than holding off the Sam/Jack ship for as long as possible).

I'm getting angry and bitter again. This is supposed to be a PRO ship thread.

I love Pete. I love the "other side" of Sam that he brings out, just by his presence. I love watching the two of them together. I love the idea of Sam being in love with someone real and attainable and nice.

Comment

Shadow, I was under the impression that you never watched new episodes...

Comment

Originally posted by David
                          Shadow, I was under the impression that you never watched new episodes...
                          It's cute how you think you know me.

I watched through Revisions, then I watched Avenger, Birthright, Evolution 1 (someone swore up and down I'd love it- ha!), Fallout, Chimera and Heroes.

Turns out I've seen more of S7 than even I realized. I keep forgetting about Birthright and EVO 1, though. Didn't care much for them and... er... there was no Pete in them...

Comment

Do you plan on watching all the Pete-related episodes?

Comment

I probably will, although I'm very worried about how TPTB are going to portray him. I'd almost rather walk away with the favorable impression I have than risk having them muck things up with their heavy-handed tactics.

At the same time... I really like the character and I love watching David DeLuise. The whole family has wonderfully expressive faces, and David is no different. I may not be able to resist, even knowing the character may be d*mned forever...

I also don't want to be one of those people who ONLY watches eps with a specific character. I hated it when the Daniel fans only tuned in to S6 for Daniel eps but otherwise cursed the entire season. I don't want to do the same with Pete.

Comment

You're better than that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X