Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
    I completely agree with you, and the impression that I got from him was that while he'd possibly sign something that was poking fun at himself, anything that could in any way come across to be making fun of other fans he'd refuse. I think he'd sign "pro" anything and turn anything "anti" away, not necessarily because he agrees or disagrees but because he loves all his fans and wouldn't want to alienate any of them. If that makes any sense.

Very good indeed, although he argues with you when you compliment him.
    now THAT makes a great degree o sense Still, one can dream of that little smile before he settles himself and says he can't sign it If i did want him to sign anything it'd be him in Rising where he's got the Drone in front of him and he's just got this resigned "For cryin' out loud..." look
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      Quoted for truth.

If there were two things I could teach sci-fi TV writers as a group, just two things, it would be the definition of "subtle writing" and how that looks in an actual story, and how to avoid crossing that all-important line between angst/drama and melodrama. It's a significant line. An important line. A line that should be spray-painted neon orange with flashing lights saying "DO NOT CROSS!!!" Some writers (and by no means am I only referring to the SG writers here, I could name several others) dance all over the line like they have no concept that it even exists. Respect the line, people! Stay on the correct side of the line!
      Laughs! Oh yes.
      It's TV, it's drama, it's adventure it's SF, carefully, lovingly constructed by a lot of very skillful and dedicated people.
      But it should never slip over into melodrama, into farce.

I completely agree with you, and the impression that I got from him was that while he'd possibly sign something that was poking fun at himself, anything that could in any way come across to be making fun of other fans he'd refuse. I think he'd sign "pro" anything and turn anything "anti" away, not necessarily because he agrees or disagrees but because he loves all his fans and wouldn't want to alienate any of them. If that makes any sense.

Very good indeed, although he argues with you when you compliment him.
      I understand what Aragon101 means, though, and it's not malicious, just curiosity as to how the actor would react and wondering if the actors/TPTB know that there isn't universal adoration of their romantic plot lines.
      As a broad example, when they show a vid at a con with S/J in it, the fans of the relationship cheer. Those of us who don't like it don't boo, that would be bad manners. So the impression is that the fans liked it, which is not the full story.
      Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Aragon101!

FF
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
        I understand what Aragon101 means, though, and it's not malicious, just curiosity as to how the actor would react and wondering if the actors/TPTB know that there isn't universal adoration of their romantic plot lines.
        As a broad example, when they show a vid at a con with S/J in it, the fans of the relationship cheer. Those of us who don't like it don't boo, that would be bad manners. So the impression is that the fans liked it, which is not the full story.
        Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Aragon101!

FF
        No, it's not malicious (and I sincerely I hope I didn't imply that Aragon), and I can even understand it, but at the same time, I dunno, I guess I just feel like in a situation like that it would be better to dicuss what you did like about SG1 and not what you didn't, y'know?

I always thought it was pretty clear that while AT was a bit of a shipper, RDA didn't give a hoot about ship of any kind.
        Originally posted by Callista
        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
        Originally posted by HPMom
        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

No, it's not malicious (and I sincerely I hope I didn't imply that Aragon), and I can even understand it, but at the same time, I dunno, I guess I just feel like in a situation like that it would be better to dicuss what you did like about SG1 and not what you didn't, y'know?

I always thought it was pretty clear that while AT was a bit of a shipper, RDA didn't give a hoot about ship of any kind.
          Not malicious at all. I just get the impression that RDA is a sarcastic guy and i wonder what his reaction would be to something like that.

Truthfully if i had one chance to get him to sign anything, it'd be the Simpson's charicature of him from "Kiss Kiss Bangalore"

I also recall hearing that when one Con goer gave him a shippy pic to sign for his girlfriend, RDA said something along the lines of "Oh she's one of those." and signed it anyway. In no way am i saying anything against the fans of Sam/Jack, rather i'm more curious as to RDA's feelings on the subject matter itself.

Its kinda like what Joe Flanigan did to RDA when they met for the first time in that Chopper for Rising. The Flan gave him a rubber band and a paper clip and said "Just in case." And RDA just looks at him and goes "You think you're the first person to do that?" (from Joe Flanigan's Con videos in Australia, he talks about it)
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I think that just about sums it up.

And however much we may like a show, or like or dislike certain aspects of it, to the actors, it's simply a job. I think it's easy for fans to forget that sometimes.

Comment

^Yes, they move on to the next part.

As for ship, I always found it telling that AT usually says the most important relationship Sam had and the one she most enjoyed playing was with her father.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                ^Yes, they move on to the next part.

As for ship, I always found it telling that AT usually says the most important relationship Sam had and the one she most enjoyed playing was with her father.
                So true, so, so true. And Carmen, Amanda and TPTB really sold the relationship to me, with no melodrama, no histrionics, no, ahem, indigestion. Just good solid acting and script.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Well, it was certainly the relationship of Sam's that I enjoyed the most, outside of early seasons Sam and Daniel, which kind of got sacrificed when the emphasis shifted to Oh The Pain. But then, so did so much else, relationship wise, and that still irks ...

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
                    Well, it was certainly the relationship of Sam's that I enjoyed the most, outside of early seasons Sam and Daniel, which kind of got sacrificed when the emphasis shifted to Oh The Pain. But then, so did so much else, relationship wise, and that still irks ...
                    Oh, but we'll always have Sam/Laptop.

Comment

And Smor!...never forget Smor!!....

And on topic - Sam/Jack - still cack!...

Deeds xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Always!

Originally posted by discodiva View Post

Deeds xx
                        Smor roolz!

In fact, Sam and just about anyone/thing except the one relationship that wouldn't work, would make two people unhappy and end in disaster (and no it's not Barrett )

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post

And on topic - Sam/Jack - still cack!...

Deeds xx
                          Say's it all, really, Sam has more romantic chemistry with a hunk of latex and a laptop than the supposed love of her life! If you can't convince your fans in 10+ years of trying...

FF
                          sigpic

Comment

Sam: We don't want any trouble. Just return Laptop and we'll be on our way.

Comment

Smor is great and can totally make sense if a twisted "Genetic Variety" way

Sam and basically anyone she doesn't get teenage over makes so much more sense than Sam/Jack. as I've said before, it's a matter of the chemistry being natural and friendly instead of tense and with a lack of dietary fiber. There's a reason there are Cam/Sam Shippers, it's because they had FUN together and had a very light friendship that could get into that 'teasing' mode that's oh so obviously flirting

The pants joke for instance Would Sam have ever made that joke to Jack? Instead Jack makes a joke about Sam getting drunk and taking off her...

In many ways, i believe its an issue of power balance. Sam is everyone else's 'equal' even if she's their superior officer because of hte way she leads. you see this exceptionally in SGA where she dives into the muck just like they do. Look at "Trio" and how Sheppard really doesn't want to negotiate, Sam understands that it's not his forte, so she takes over for him.

I'm not saying Jack is a bad leader either, but he's a different kind of leader. There's a clear line between Jack and everyone else because of his responsibilities and job and 'baggage'

Comment

Sam: We don't want any trouble. Just return Laptop and we'll be on our way.
                                Nothing can come between Sam and her laptop. Except perhaps Sam's P-90.

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                                Sam and basically anyone she doesn't get teenage over makes so much more sense than Sam/Jack. as I've said before, it's a matter of the chemistry being natural and friendly instead of tense and with a lack of dietary fiber. There's a reason there are Cam/Sam Shippers, it's because they had FUN together and had a very light friendship that could get into that 'teasing' mode that's oh so obviously flirting

In many ways, i believe its an issue of power balance.
                                I liked the Sam and Cam dynamic, although I never saw it as anything more than friends and service buddies. There was a nice, relaxed vibe between them, unlike ... yeah, well, you know where I'm going with this.

Interesting points about the difference in Sam and Jack's leadership styles. I never watched SGA and I'm not enough of a Sam fan for her transfer to the series to drag me over to watch, so I really can't comment on her leadership skills.

But Jack was clearly the boss. He was written that way from the start, whereas Sam rose through the ranks; maybe that affects how you are with those with whom you were once on a par and colours your leadership style. Jack was always in charge of his team. His role was clearly delineated. (Yes, I know Jack must have risen through the ranks, too, but we never saw that. We were presented with him as Colonel. Sam had to get there as the show progressed).

And, regarding the power balance issue, Jack was Sam's boss. He never stopped being Sam's boss, even if/when (I'm not convinced) he was out of her CoC. It was never a meeting of equals, even though I'm sure they respected each other's professional abilities. It was a nice non-shippy moment between them in SGU over the loss of the pilots; Jack understood and empathised. Professional chemistry and understanding? Yes. Personal? ... never saw it.

As a side note, interesting, too, that the crossover of SG1 characters to SGU didn't give a hike in the ratings. Jack and Daniel didn't do it and the Sam and Jack ep was the lowest rated of the entire season, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong; I don't pay too much attention to SGU. SGU is its own animal and will stand or fall on its own merits, I guess. Even the alleged appeal of the mighty OTP *cough* didn't pull in the viewers. (Or maybe viewers just don't care anymore, and the new ones have no reason to). Anyway, SGU is for other threads.

On topic: Jack/Sam ... still not a fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X