No announcement yet.

Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the "Taking a host" conversation, I think we've showed the diversity of the tok'ra opinions on that pretty well in our quiz. many of them believe it should never be done while others feel it's ok if it's for the greater good

RD, your 20 is cut off, the suspense is killing me.

oh yeah, and RD suggested I change Ren'aul's #5 to "Collecting Mold's Spores and Fungus" (it's a ghostbuster's reference for all of you who are trying to place it) which is a good idea since my Ren'aul answer was a little too close to Jalen's

I'm going to be blunt, i'd rather not use the Jack pic for Kanan for the same reason that I don't want Sam in this: this is a Tok'ra quiz, not an SG1 quiz. And also not all of us are Sam/Martouf shippers in the room.
    now to make up for my bluntness, I'll post random tokra pics

Last edited by nebulan; 09 April 2008, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
      Queens, eh... I'd guess that they were made like queen bees, through special environment and food, but that would seem too simple considering the attention given to them. Perhaps a queen has to put all the energy she would have put into a whole litter of symbiotes into one queen symbiote.
      I always thought of it as like bees. Special conditioning from it's birth (or do they hatch? Looked like live birth in "Hathor"), and none of the Tok'ra qualified for when one was needed... Agent Barret needs to find the Adrian Condrad cloning research from "Nightwalkers" that apparently the Trust got their hands on. And clone someone we like. (someone with good, happy Tok'ra genetic memory) and grow their own new queen.

Comment

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
        RD, your 20 is cut off, the suspense is killing me.

oh yeah, and RD suggested I change Ren'aul's #5 to "Collecting Mold's Spores and Fungus" (it's a ghostbuster's reference for all of you who are trying to place it) which is a good idea since my Ren'aul answer was a little too close to Jalen's
        I forgot what I was going to put.

20. What do you think about the Jaffa alliance?
        Ta’seem: Hopefully we will all live free, and I hope the Jaffa will figure their politics out and come up with something they can all be happy with.

Oh, and I thought about having Kelmaa take the "Mold Spores and Fungus" line.

Comment

I want to change Ta'seem's # 17. How do you look on relationship commitment?
          to "*Shrugs* Whatever."

Comment

Oh, what a large amount of activity all of a sudden Great!

It's only 6:30am here and I just woke up (going out of town with the earliest train - will be away until sometime Sunday, probably without internet access ) - I'm still very sleepy

nebulan - I love your pictures. Many of them are much better than the ones I had dug out. We should use some of them for the quiz.

I've been trying to find a quiz-engine which will accept that more than one Tok'ra has the same answer and still give a point to each of those that has that answer (say, there could be only 3 different answers to a question because all - however many Tok'ra we have, will fit those three answers for a question). They mostly want you to make 15 answers if there are 15 Tok'ra - seems stupid if they all answer "Tok'ra are loyal for life"
            I haven't given up the search, though - we could always download a java script for a quiz-engine and just tweak that. We'll figure something out.

Heh - RD, for some reason I misread your #20 as not missing anything and that the Jaffa should go figure I guess I was tired reading that!

Regarding the Tanith/Hebron, Sam/Jolinar and Jack/Kanan discussion - I think we can conclude that all (except one I think? CaptJanson?) can agree that we should include Tanith/Hebron, no matter what, just for the fun of it. I think we should say that is enough of a consensus that we should do it.

I still think both Sam/Jolinar and Jack/Kanan should be included on the grounds that Jolinar and Kanan are true Tok'ra (fits with RD's description) - well, they were - because they both behaved un-Tok'ra'ish in the episodes we saw them in
            I doubt Jack would ever stay a Tok'ra, simply because by season 6 he is much to dedicated to the SGC and hates the Tok'ra way too much to consider it. I do, however, think that he would have considered it in the first couple of seasons.
            Regarding Sam - I think (as someone said - don't remember who, sorry) that she would have become a Tok'ra at the time she was taken by Jolinar, had she survived, because she didn't have strong loyalties to SGC that early in the show. I also think that IF Jolinar had stayed in her, she would have been affected by her emotions to a degree where she would have loved Martouf/Lantash - given how strongly she felt these emotions as it is.

Regardless - I doubt that it is possible to get agreement on whether to keep Sam/Jolinar and Jack/Kanan or not. There seem to be equally many for as against, and maybe one who is neutral. I think that the simplest solution is to take both pairs out - I do NOT want it to end in a discussion that makes people angry at each other - I like all you guys. We all agree on one very important thing - we like those wonderful Tok'ra. Let's focus on that

The queen question: I think live birth - and I think it's environmental conditioning which is making them queens instead of ordinary symbiotes, but there's really no way to know. Yes - I wish they would clone one of the Tok'ra and let the little one grow up in the right conditions making it a Tok'ra queen. I would really LOVE that.

Well, as I said in the beginning of the mail - I'm not sure if I will have any internet access until Sunday, late, but I sure hope (hands already shaking from the withdrawal...)

-Skadi
            sigpic
            Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I think Jolinar and Kanan would be great in there! We're good with doing Kanan just by himself aren't we?

And You're right. In season 2, Sam very well might have joined the Tok'ra, it makes sense. But it's still an AU.

Comment

I just realized that I probably shouldn't be throwing my opinion around since I'm the idiot who hasn't finished her part of the quiz yet.

Comment

Sorry, It's actually not that big of a deal to me, I certainly don't have any problem with Kanan and I just think that the Sam/Jolinar answers might be awkward from both angles.

Hey, I wanted to say that I think I'll try to work on some sort of quiz template this weekend, I'm pretty sure that it can be done with Javascript and HTML easily, possibly even done with just HTML but it wouldn't be as... sooooth

I was wondering, would anyone be interested in making graphics for the site? I was thinking something like a side or top border? I'm thinking about trying a couple of different things for possible wallpapers. at work, when I should have been working, I found a bunch of links for potential Tok'ra Tunnel that maybe we could work with. (behind cut)
                  Spoiler:

They're all the black tunnels from seasons 4 and 5 because I didn't care for the blue ones so much, lol!

On another subject, what about Tok'ra Outfits?? I confess I like the darker leather-y outfits better in the later seasons better than the patched up desert ones. so basically I like Ren'aul's outfit here better then the ones behind her:

But for Anise/Freya, I think I like her desert outfit best

Comment

Is anyone here? Sure is quiet...

Just a quick question...does anyone remember what episode talked about some of the Tok'ra once being Goa'ulds? I'm positive it was mentioned somewhere, but I'd like to know for sure. While doing research for my Sam/Jolinar story, I came across the theory that Jolinar was once a Goa'uld, hence her ruthless and passionate nature even once a Tok'ra (falling back on old habits in time of crisis). Makes sense to me, but I'd like confirmation that it's possible.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

FINALLY back home - and having internet again. You have NO idea how much I have missed having internet for these 4 days I probably have to admit I'm ever so slightly addicted...

Originally posted by RogueDragon
                      I just realized that I probably shouldn't be throwing my opinion around since I'm the idiot who hasn't finished her part of the quiz yet.
                      Of course you should give your opinion!

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
                      Sorry, It's actually not that big of a deal to me, I certainly don't have any problem with Kanan and I just think that the Sam/Jolinar answers might be awkward from both angles.

Hey, I wanted to say that I think I'll try to work on some sort of quiz template this weekend, I'm pretty sure that it can be done with Javascript and HTML easily, possibly even done with just HTML but it wouldn't be as... sooooth

I was wondering, would anyone be interested in making graphics for the site? I was thinking something like a side or top border? I'm thinking about trying a couple of different things for possible wallpapers. at work, when I should have been working, I found a bunch of links for potential Tok'ra Tunnel that maybe we could work with. (behind cut)
                      Spoiler:

They're all the black tunnels from seasons 4 and 5 because I didn't care for the blue ones so much, lol!

On another subject, what about Tok'ra Outfits?? I confess I like the darker leather-y outfits better in the later seasons better than the patched up desert ones. so basically I like Ren'aul's outfit here better then the ones behind her:

But for Anise/Freya, I think I like her desert outfit best

Sounds great, nebulan. I haven't been able to look into any quiz-engines yet, so if you can put something together that would be wonderful. I saw some Tok'ra backgrounds for webpages here: http://www.tokra.dk/backgrounds.html

There are two tunnel ones we might be able to use?

Lets put in Kanan again, then. What about picture for him? Jack'ed or un-Jack'ed?
                      What about Sam/Jolinar? If we want her I can possibly make her answers more humourous, like for Tanith - or we can say "You are AU-Sam/Jolinar", they have an infinity of parallel universes for all possibilities not explicitly forbidden by the laws of physics, so probably no one would say anything to that

Is anyone here? Sure is quiet...

Just a quick question...does anyone remember what episode talked about some of the Tok'ra once being Goa'ulds? I'm positive it was mentioned somewhere, but I'd like to know for sure. While doing research for my Sam/Jolinar story, I came across the theory that Jolinar was once a Goa'uld, hence her ruthless and passionate nature even once a Tok'ra (falling back on old habits in time of crisis). Makes sense to me, but I'd like confirmation that it's possible.
                      I know Anise says in an episode (I think it's the one where Teal'c's old flame shows up and thinks she has converted Tanith), that there are former Goa'uld's which has turned Tok'ra and joined them over the years, but none recently, so it is possible (Egeria being a very notable case)

I think the thing with Jolinar being a Goa'uld stems from Teal'c saying that she had armies which she used to almost conquer a Goa'uld until Apophis joined the battle. Why would she PERSONALLY have armies if not because she was a Goa'uld then? Also makes her possibly have reverted to the "old ways" when she panicked, as you say.

Garshaw is also a possibility, because she is "the most hunted Goa'uld of all times" according to Teal'c. Also, both Jolinar and Garshaw have the "of Malkshur" and "of Belote". I know it could be the planet they were born on/lake they were born in, or a planet they lived on for a long time, or even the planet of their first host (and all Tok'ra then have such a name, but its not used except formally?)

I have even seen several make a case for Selmak being a Goa'uld originally - perhaps one that fought with Egeria, and that being why she is so much older than the other Tok'ra - maybe same age as Egeria?

Well, I am going to go to sleep. It is very late here (4am) and I have to get up in 3 hours and get to work - returned later from my trip than I had expected.

-Skadi
                      sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                        FINALLY back home - and having internet again. You have NO idea how much I have missed having internet for these 4 days I probably have to admit I'm ever so slightly addicted...

I know Anise says in an episode (I think it's the one where Teal'c's old flame shows up and thinks she has converted Tanith), that there are former Goa'uld's which has turned Tok'ra and joined them over the years, but none recently, so it is possible (Egeria being a very notable case)

I think the thing with Jolinar being a Goa'uld stems from Teal'c saying that she had armies which she used to almost conquer a Goa'uld until Apophis joined the battle. Why would she PERSONALLY have armies if not because she was a Goa'uld then? Also makes her possibly have reverted to the "old ways" when she panicked, as you say.
                        I know what you mean about the internet...glad to see you back here!

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling that it was in Crossroads. Good points about Garshaw and Jolinar, and yeah, it was the whole armies thing that prompted the theory. Of course in RL all inconsistencies are just TPTB not knowing exactly what the Tok'ra were, but I like that there's a plausible theory in canon. Jolinar is getting more and more interesting the more I do the research...how could they not have kept her alive in some way? Bah! I shall mend that flaw, methinks...

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Hey! I had an idea! If we keep Sam/Jolinar in an Alternate-Universe context, can I manip a picture of Sam to be in a Tok'ra outfit???

Comment

I know what you mean about the internet...glad to see you back here!

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling that it was in Crossroads. Good points about Garshaw and Jolinar, and yeah, it was the whole armies thing that prompted the theory. Of course in RL all inconsistencies are just TPTB not knowing exactly what the Tok'ra were, but I like that there's a plausible theory in canon. Jolinar is getting more and more interesting the more I do the research...how could they not have kept her alive in some way? Bah! I shall mend that flaw, methinks...
                            I would like that - Jolinar is one of my all time favorite Tok'ra and I REALLY wish they would have let her live
                            I just love her line in "In the Line of Duty" about "My death only feeds the fire that burns strong within the Tok'ra" - I personally think it may be the best line in all of Stargate, but then again, I like that kind of dramatic thing

I remember when I saw that scene first - I was instantly interested in the Tok'ra and put Jolinar near the top of my list of favorite Sci-fi characters - wishing they had let her live and stay in Sam - even hoping she would somehow return in the next episode. Alas - I was disappointed I was also unhappy that several episodes passed before we heard of the Tok'ra again

Originally posted by RogueDragon View Post
                            Hey! I had an idea! If we keep Sam/Jolinar in an Alternate-Universe context, can I manip a picture of Sam to be in a Tok'ra outfit???
                            YES - please do. It would be great to see that (in a way I now want an AU were Jack keeps Kanan and ends up learning to like the Tok'ra, but I realise that may be even stranger and VERY unlikely, though there must be SOME of the infinity of universes where that happened )

nebulan - you have corrupted me - I'm starting to end all my sentences with smilies Oops, did it again

-Skadi
                            sigpic

Comment

nebulan, I can try to do some graphics for the quiz site (top/side border), but I may not have time to look much at it until the weekend. What had you been thinking of for it - background of Tok'ra tunnels and then something else along sides/top?

I like the "old style" Tok'ra tunnels better - the new one looks more fragile (dangerous!) and as if they will stab you to death if you touch them

I could perhaps make a side border with the faces of 8-10 of the more well known Tok'ra, and maybe something with a symbiote along the top border? That could be something hand drawn instead of using the pictures of the symbiotes, but I don't know. I will think about it and see if I get some ideas.

-Skadi
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                                nebulan, I can try to do some graphics for the quiz site (top/side border), but I may not have time to look much at it until the weekend. What had you been thinking of for it - background of Tok'ra tunnels and then something else along sides/top?

I like the "old style" Tok'ra tunnels better - the new one looks more fragile (dangerous!) and as if they will stab you to death if you touch them

I could perhaps make a side border with the faces of 8-10 of the more well known Tok'ra, and maybe something with a symbiote along the top border? That could be something hand drawn instead of using the pictures of the symbiotes, but I don't know. I will think about it and see if I get some ideas.

-Skadi
                                I guess those backgrounds... for me, are hard to read against text. I was thinking a simpler background but maybe having a border with more broad crystals. Something with faces would be cool too, lol! I was going to work on the quiz over the weekend up ended up watching Sense and Sensibility twice instead *doh* I kinda wanna say use a split frame for Kanan/Jack, but that's just me.

And w00t for smiley punctuation!!

Comment

Working...
                                X