Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
    I guess those backgrounds... for me, are hard to read against text. I was thinking a simpler background but maybe having a border with more broad crystals. Something with faces would be cool too, lol! I was going to work on the quiz over the weekend up ended up watching Sense and Sensibility twice instead *doh* I kinda wanna say use a split frame for Kanan/Jack, but that's just me.
    I agree, a simpler background is better, and then with a border of faces. I like the idea of a split frame for Kanan/Jack too, and I understand completely about S&S...new one, I assume?

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
      I agree, a simpler background is better, and then with a border of faces. I like the idea of a split frame for Kanan/Jack too, and I understand completely about S&S...new one, I assume?
      I agree, the background should not confuse the text - either a monochromatic background or a "faded" pic would be best.

I also like the idea of a split frame pic of Jack/Kanan - let's do that!
      sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

I'm for the idea of a Jack/Kanan split frame pic.

I'll try making borders for a page with Tok'ra faces. You're right - a background of those dark crystals would make the text virtually unreadable. I will see how it looks if it is almost totally "faded" as you say - otherwise a mono-chromatic background is probably best. I will see how it looks.

-Skadi
        sigpic
        Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Question: Where did they get the crystals that make their tunnels?

I would have really liked an episode that focused on the Tok'ra making of the past thousand years, how they formed and everything. To really see what they have done to the Goa'uld these past thousand years.
          O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
            Question: Where did they get the crystals that make their tunnels?

I would have really liked an episode that focused on the Tok'ra making of the past thousand years, how they formed and everything. To really see what they have done to the Goa'uld these past thousand years.
            I would just love such an episode - very Tok'ra-focused with lots of information about the history and culture of them. It would be great!

The most we have is from the episodes Tok'ra I & II. They say only a little about the crystals, but the Tok'ra make them themselves, utilising and controlling normal crystal growth to be faster and grow into what they want. Way cool!

Spoiler:

SAM: This looks just like the place in my dream. But that was on the planet that they - we - were fleeing.
            TEALC: It is said throughout the legend of the Tok'ra, when they arrive on a planet they go deep underground, it is said they possess the technology to actually grow tunnels.
            SAM: This looks like some sort of crystal material, so theoretically it could be grown.
            TEALC: Apophis had me searching for tunnels such as these for many years. We never found them. It is believed when the Tok'ra move on, the tunnels are destroyed.

Spoiler:

TEALC: Is it true these facilities are grown?
            GARSHAW: It is. When we arrive at the new base, we plant certain crystals, and they grown into all that you see.
            DANIEL: Wow.

Spoiler:

GARSHAW: This Chamber is newly grown. Until now we had no reason to convene the Council of Tok'ra.
            SAM: So this is some sort of accelerated crystal growth?
            GARSHAW: That is correct. We have learned to pattern the natural tendencies of the crystal.
            SAM: Like a geode.
            sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

I'm watching Summit and Last Stand right now, and yeah, they can program the crystals, I think somewhere they say that they can program different kind of tunnels (I guess like hallway, room, large chamber, etc).

It's interesting how SG1 has such bias against the tok'ra... it makes me angry how Sam was treating Lantash earlier in the episode, calling him "it" (whether you call Selmak "she" or "he" it doesn't matter to me, but "it" sounds like an inanimate object) but then when Lantash was in Elliot she started calling him "he". And poor Rena'ul getting accused of letting Martouf die for her research... I think she'd die for her own research, but wouldn't sacrifice a fellow tok'ra and possibly a friend for it

I just had a silly thought (from the scene when Daniel and Jacob/Selmak are crashing) I wonder if Tok'ra could really multitask, like: "hey, you control my right arm while I control the left". *snort*

and off topic, MerryK, yes, the new Sense and Sensibility it gives me all the Marianne/Brandon shipping I wanted from the book and previous version and never got

I was playing around with backgrounds a little...
              http://www.geocities.com/roguenebula...roundtest1.htm
              http://www.geocities.com/roguenebula...roundtest2.htm
              http://www.geocities.com/roguenebula...roundtest3.htm

not too thrilled but I think Skadi is right, the old tunnels will probably work better. I like the small, muted colors myself. I was thinking the border could be bolder, more sticking out. Maybe the header could be colorful with tokra faces and then a crystal border on the side? just a thought I should probably spend some time working on the actual structure of the quiz but I don't think I'll get to that tonight. hmm... playing around with the borders a little and I'm not really thrilled so far, lol!

Comment

I like the third of your backgrounds, nebulan, the one with the old-style crystals. I think we could use that, but maybe make it really faded/whited out so it is just recognizable. That way we could still use black for the text, making it more easily readable, I think. Normal-sized crystal background could be used as background for the Tok'ra faces - that would make a very believable background. I think maybe faces along the side-borders would be good and then maybe just a top banner with some Tok'ra scene or the words "Which Tok'ra are you" (or something like it) on that. What do you think?

-and regarding the SGC and their deplorable behaviour towards the Tok'ra - yeah, and I think it gets steadily worse - they seemed to reasonably like the Tok'ra when they just met them and in the time after that. From time to time I just have to stop watching episodes because I just gets so angry when they (especially Jack) are really nasty to the Tok'ra. I think the Tok'ra show remarkable restraint, and I am actually starting to understand even Delek! (not his derogatory speak about hosts, though).

I want some Tok'ra episodes where we don't even see ANYONE from the SGC!
                sigpic

Comment

When you say "faded"/whited background, do you mean something like this?

-Skadi
                  sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

A first very rough draft of side and top banners. The side banners need to be longer (I have 3-4 more Tok'ra to put there) and I think I need to find pictures which are more closely the same size to begin with - when the faces are re-sized to fit in the same space some of them look funny/small/thin with the others. Oh, well. I will look more at it in the weekend. I am very much open to suggestions and ideas.

Spoiler:

-Skadi
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                      When you say "faded"/whited background, do you mean something like this?

-Skadi
                      Yes, that was just what I meant. Don't you think that will work nicely? You can still see the crystal-background, but it is white enough that you can put dark text on it and read it easily.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                        Yes, that was just what I meant. Don't you think that will work nicely? You can still see the crystal-background, but it is white enough that you can put dark text on it and read it easily.
                        Yes, it probably would - depends on how the quiz looks, I suppose.

Anyone have any ideas for the borders? Should we have Tok'ra faces along sides and top or only sides/only top? How long/wide do we want the borders to be? Ordering of the Tok'ra - for now it is just random. Do we want anything else on those borders?

Something else - do anyone have a webpage or a place where we could put it?

-Skadi
                        sigpic

Comment

I think they look good - just make the side borders longer so you can fit the last 3-4 how many Tok'ra in also. The ones that stand out as smaller/thinner/different colored are mainly Rosha/Jolinar (nothing can be done about that - the color is reddish on all pics we have of her), Zarin (maybe we can find another picture which doesn't make her look like part of the face is missing?), Dr. Raleigh (is that her name? - we need a pic where she is larger), and maybe Martouf/Lantash (slightly faded? color and thin - though he has a very narrow face/head, so maybe that is how it should be).

Otherwise, I really like it! They look colorful and nice - both crystals and Tok'ra, just what we want!
                          sigpic
                          button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJanson View Post
                            I think they look good - just make the side borders longer so you can fit the last 3-4 how many Tok'ra in also. The ones that stand out as smaller/thinner/different colored are mainly Rosha/Jolinar (nothing can be done about that - the color is reddish on all pics we have of her), Zarin (maybe we can find another picture which doesn't make her look like part of the face is missing?), Dr. Raleigh (is that her name? - we need a pic where she is larger), and maybe Martouf/Lantash (slightly faded? color and thin - though he has a very narrow face/head, so maybe that is how it should be).

Otherwise, I really like it! They look colorful and nice - both crystals and Tok'ra, just what we want!
                            Thanks for the input - I will try and find another picture of Dr. Raleigh which fits better, as well as another for Zarin, and maybe for Martouf/Lantash - and then add the other missing Tok'ra to the side borders. I will try to post something tomorrow for you to look at.

-Skadi
                            sigpic

Comment

oooh, I do like the light gray! The borders look good! My only suggestions are that Garshaw and Delek look like they could use some contrast adjusting and poor Zarin looks a bit stretched. I really like the colors on them. I'm thinking that the quiz will end up being very.... long. I kinda want to put it all on one page (with the allowing more than one tokra for some answers might involve passing a lot of values between pages, so I'd rather just keep it to one), so... maybe all I ask is that they be blendable at the top and bottom so that I can repeat it if necessary? maybe keep the two banners and alternate them on both sides I've never done a webpage that keeps to the 800 width standard but I think it'll be a good idea with this one. I don't know if I'll have time to work on it again this weekend (doh) but it might help if someone can gather up all the answers we have if someone has time. I'll bug my sister about finishing up her answers (I think she has Sina and... one other left).

er... yeah, I better run.

Comment

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
                                oooh, I do like the light gray! The borders look good! My only suggestions are that Garshaw and Delek look like they could use some contrast adjusting and poor Zarin looks a bit stretched. I really like the colors on them. I'm thinking that the quiz will end up being very.... long. I kinda want to put it all on one page (with the allowing more than one tokra for some answers might involve passing a lot of values between pages, so I'd rather just keep it to one), so... maybe all I ask is that they be blendable at the top and bottom so that I can repeat it if necessary? maybe keep the two banners and alternate them on both sides I've never done a webpage that keeps to the 800 width standard but I think it'll be a good idea with this one. I don't know if I'll have time to work on it again this weekend (doh) but it might help if someone can gather up all the answers we have if someone has time. I'll bug my sister about finishing up her answers (I think she has Sina and... one other left).

er... yeah, I better run.
                                Thanks! I will try adjust the colouring for Garshaw and Delek - and find another picture for Zarin. The top banner is somewhat wider than 800 (971 actually, because I couldn't get it to look good/fit faces equidistantly), but I can adjust that if you want me to. I will make sure the side banners blend at top and bottom, so that will not be a problem - I think everything on one page is best also.

I will collect all the answers, results and the chosen pictures that we had for now - sometime tomorrow likely, it is very late (early?) here. I think I already collected most of them in an earlier posting. You probably need to crop/resize some of the pictures for the result-texts.

-Skadi
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X