No announcement yet.

Ba'al /Cliff Simon Thunk,Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wondering something for quite awhile: is it pronounced "Mow-bee-us?" "Mow-ee-bee-us?"

I've never heard it pronounced aloud, though I've read about them.

Comment

Wouldn't it no longer be a rectangle if both ends were joined?

Amazing the breadth of discussion here in the Lord Ba'al Appreciation Thread. In honour of our lord, the experimental Goa'uld.

Comment

as far as i know, it's "moe(mow)-bee-us"

Comment

Mow as in 'oh' or mow as in 'now'? I think it's 'oh'.

Comment

it's as in "oh"

Comment

I have no idea, all I know is what I got from Gateworld.

I've been wonder how to pronounce it too.

The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Comment

as far as i know (now Merrin i'm sure can confirm the lovely non-english when she gets here ) that the best american pronunciation is moe-bee-us because the o with the dots is closest to (if not) "ow" in IPA... and since english has no o with dots, we spell it "oe" since that's pronounced just how it looks, like "oh"...

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                  Wouldn't it no longer be a rectangle if both ends were joined?

Amazing the breadth of discussion here in the Lord Ba'al Appreciation Thread. In honour of our lord, the experimental Goa'uld.
                  This is the info I got from Wikipedia:
                  "A model can easily be created by taking a paper strip and giving it a half-twist, and then merging the ends of the strip together to form a single strip. There are in fact two types of Möbius strip depending on the direction of the half-twist: if the right hand twists the right end of the strip in a clockwise manner, the result is a right-handed Möbius strip."

Here's a pic just in case you wondering...
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M%F6bius_strip.jpg

But I think we've gone seriously off-topic now...
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

but baal would appreciate that we're adapting his intelligence and creating topics...

erm.... ok, we're off topic...

Comment

or we use his intelligence

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

...ah, if only we had baal's superior intellect

Comment

if only in combination of the ancients technology

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

And his gravity-defying technology! And of course his charm...and I wouldn't mind the ability to say "You do not know the pain you will suffer for this impudence" with a straight face.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                              ...and I wouldn't mind the ability to say "You do not know the pain you will suffer for this impudence" with a straight face.
                              brilliant!!

Comment

See, if we had all that, it would just be scary. Yeah.... I'd hate to see what we'd do with it all.
                                'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Working...
                                X