No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber, thanks so much for the blue!!(and green) jello! I don't think I've had the blue kind before!

ChopinGal, I did not expect a medal for that, but I shall wear it proudly. Thanks for that.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if any Samandans were monitoring the thread over there anymore. I've had it in my subscriptions list for so long, and whenever someone would comment... well, I'd know about it. It finally got to be a bit too much...

So, seriously... What can I do with 1000 posts now?
    Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 12 July 2005, 07:12 PM. Reason: stupid mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i'm locked out of spaz's green jello supply, so i'll have to catch up with her later. but darlin, what a wonderful, calm and thought out post.
      I tied to do the green jello thingy, too, but no luck. What a logical, factual presentation of the truth. An indisputable defender of the Queen!

Thanks, Uber, for posting Spaz's post for us to read.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

... ChopinGal, I did not expect a medal for that, but I shall wear it proudly. Thanks for that.

... So, seriously... What can I do with 1000 posts now?
        Hehehe ... is this a trick question?! I can hear someone saying "you can take your 1000 posts and ..." Oops! We don't have to worry about him ... he's still trying to write his response to your excellent and logical rebuttal on the BB thread.

In the meantime, maybe you can go over to the GABIT website www.gabitevents.co.uk and ask if you can receive a discount on a ticket to Amanda's event if you cash in 1,000 GW posts!

Comment

I just thought I'd let you all know, for those of you who haven't noticed yet, that the Stargate Fan Awards have finally put the 2005 nominations up on their website.

http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2005-nominations.shtml

Normally each year, the awards are dominated by stories about Daniel and Jack, but I have to admit I'm utterly astonished by the number of Sam stories that have been nominated this year. The setup seems a bit different than previous years, but there seems to be a lot of Samcentric or Sam/Other stories(and not only in terms of ship).

Also from what I have seen thus far, at least three of our fellow Samandans have been nominated so go show your support for Sam and Samanda and vote, vote, vote!!

Kat

Edit: Oops, well it seems Daniel and Jack still dominate the fic awards, I just hadn't made it as far as the adult fiction section when I posted this note. Silly me.
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 12 July 2005, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddler
            Finally got Gateworld to recognize my log-in, so disregard this post -just making sure it works.

Nice to finally be able to join the Samanda world.

Hello to all my buddies from AT.Com!
            Welcome Fiddler! Nice to meet ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I just thought I'd let you all know, for those of you who haven't noticed yet, that the Stargate Fan Awards have finally put the 2005 nominations up on their website.

http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2005-nominations.shtml

Normally each year, the awards are dominated by stories about Daniel and Jack, but I have to admit I'm utterly astonished by the number of Sam stories that have been nominated this year. The setup seems a bit different than previous years, but there seems to be a lot of Samcentric or Sam/Other stories(and not only in terms of ship).

Also from what I have seen thus far, at least three of our fellow Samandans have been nominated so go show your support for Sam and Samanda and vote, vote, vote!!

Kat
              Yay! I love these award-thingies and it's good to know that Sam's moved up the chain a bit. How's Teal'c doing over there?

ON EDIT AND SECOND THOUGHT: Maaaaybe these things aren't such a good idea after all. This is how I stay up until 4 o'clock in the morning on a work day. Bad, bad, bad...
              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 12 July 2005, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Hehehe ... is this a trick question?! I can hear someone saying "you can take your 1000 posts and ..." Oops! We don't have to worry about him ... he's still trying to write his response to your excellent and logical rebuttal on the BB thread.

In the meantime, maybe you can go over to the GABIT website www.gabitevents.co.uk and ask if you can receive a discount on a ticket to Amanda's event if you cash in 1,000 GW posts!
                Ha! I seriously almost choked there, ChopinGal! You're right, I don't want to give anyone ideas or anything...

And if I could trade in 1000 posts to fly across the Atlantic (it'd be my first time) and go to such an event, I'd gladly start from scratch on this forum!

Comment

/me tries to look innocent :whistle:

Kat
                  Well voting doesn't actally start until August sometime... but I'll definatly be voting for our Samandan writers then!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

When I told my husband tonight that they had rescheduled the Gabit event, his response to me was 'Woo! When do we leave?? Just give me the days and I'll set up vacation time tomorrow.' You'd think that he actually watched Stargate or had a thing for Amanda as excited as he was.

But I know how he thinks, he sees this as a way to finally get me onto an airplane to England and once we get there he can drop me off at the con and for three whole days he can gallavant around London without me bugging him.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Don't ya think?

Kat

Comment

When I told my husband tonight that they had rescheduled the Gabit event, his response to me was 'Woo! When do we leave?? Just give me the days and I'll set up vacation time tomorrow.' You'd think that he actually watched Stargate or had a thing for Amanda as excited as he was.

But I know how he thinks, he sees this as a way to finally get me onto an airplane to England and once we get there he can drop me off at the con and for three whole days he can gallavant around London without me bugging him.

Kat
                      Sounds like he would be getting the short end of the stick dont ya think? Not meeting Amanda and all...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Originally posted by dancer of spaz
                        Originally posted by Lightsabre
                        Carter is not unfit for command. She's just bad at it.(Please do not flame this,. IF you disagree fine, but DON'T attack me over it).
                        ALmost without fail, when she is in the leadership position, she fails to assert herself, makes BAD judgement calls, hesitates and basically balls it all up.
                        Blame the writing if you must, she's just not command material. Put her in a lab and she's fine, but in the field, she's more of a follower.
                        THat's NOT an insult. Not everyone is a leader. and really, this world needs followers as well. Teal'c is a leader, Daniel is not. Neither observation is an insult to either char.
                        *Back from a long absence. Can't wait to see how Friday goes down in this thread and in others.*

Hey, Lightsabre? Could you bring some examples into that little statement, please? You know... just to make it more credible. No need to take this as an attack... I just want to understand where you're coming from. Think of this as a discussion. For adults.

Just a warning... I'm nothing if not thorough.

First, let's look at Spirits. This was Sam's first command after Jack was hit by a trinium arrow and was hospitalized. The mission? To find the lost SG-11 and gain some ground on some important trinium ore. Not only did Sam find SG-11 (despite the fact that Tonane asks them to talk to animals), but she got them home safely so they could ask Hammond about what to do about Tonane's people and the trinium situation. However, it's Hammond's attitude (he wanted to take it once they migrated) that got the SGC into trouble when the powerful aliens who had stowed away overheard the conversation. If I'm not mistaken, Daniel AND Sam were opposed to the idea.

Now, Sam was beamed away like several other SGC members, which allowed Jack to suddenly make a miraculous recovery and save the day. Whoot.

Going back a bit, let's look at Season One's Hathor. It's by no means an average fan's favorite, but it touches on that bit about biology that Sam mentioned in COTG. Sam wasn't officially given command, but she was the next obvious choice seeing as how the men were... otherwise occupied. In this case, Sam, Janet, Teal'c, and the few other women around the base ended up saving the men from being Jaffa-fied and the planet from being overrun by the Goddess of Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll.

Bumping up to Season Three's Foothold, Sam's (and essentially Teal'c's) own curse ended up being the only thing that kept the aliens from assuming the identity of everyone in the SGC and taking over the world. Again, Sam wasn't given official command, but desperate times... In this case, she followed her gut and got a hold of Maybourne, followed her gut again in not trusting the alien versions of Jack and Daniel, and followed her scientific gut in finding a way to reverse the effects the aliens have. Another catastrophe averted because Sam managed to stay on her toes.

We pretty much don't see anything else until Season Six's Nightwalkers. Again, many fans would agree that it could have been better, but hey so could have "Shades of Grey." Anyway... Sam was officially leading the team. They found out what's going on in the small town. They figured out how to stop it, Sam was mini-Goa'ulded, but managed to kill it with the chemical they'd found, and played Goa'uld up until the end - which is where she eliminated everyone involved and was able to provide a great deal of damage control in the small town.

Paradise Lost shows Sam in command. Her treatment of Dr. Lee was harsh, but her expectations for that team weren't any higher than what she'd placed for herself - no matter who it was being found.

Season Seven's Evolution Part II had Sam officially leading the mission, although Jacob and Bra'tac were definitely in charge. Nevertheless, Sam had her moments, and she and Teal'c could both say that they delayed Anubis' little Super Soldier factory for the time being. And, as they were quick to point out, they all made it out alive.

The Lost City, also known as the best episode of season seven , was a bit crazy. A lot of stuff happened. Jack didn't relinquish command until right before he stopped talking altogether. What did Sam do wrong in this episode?

New Order Part I. I suppose it all went to pot when Sam was beamed up into Fifth's ship because of her actions from a year before - actions that involved her following a direct order. A direct order given by Jack. An understandable and logical order given by Jack, but a direct order, nonetheless. Still don't see what Sam did wrong here, but maybe you could tell me.

Season Eight's Zero Hour showed Sam in command for approximately 30 seconds, but it was clear that Sam did nothing wrong in her attempt to get the team back to the Gate. They had no knowledge of what had been going on while they were underground. They'd found Anubis' secret base (mission objective), but were unable to get out again - as is usual when dealing with SG-1. The only reason why the SGC was so easily deceived was because Ba'al's people intercepted radio chatter - and THAT was most likely SG-3's, considering SG-1 was incommunicado. What did Sam do wrong here? Well, I suppose she failed to predict the future. That can be pretty annoying sometimes.

Icon showed Sam in command for slightly longer than 30 seconds. I'd say at least five or ten minutes. Now, it should be noted that Sam led SGs 3, 6 and 12 to successfully find Daniel and new allies, and infiltrate the secret facility that held the lovely cult leader.

In Affinity, Sam and Daniel (and Pete) helped clear Teal'c for murder and kidnapping. They find out about The Trust. Sam does nothing in this episode that jeopardizes the lives of other people.

Covenant got Sam some national air time while she helped deceive the world WITHOUT really deceiving it about the existence of aliens. Her quick delivery on live television publicly discredited the big-mouth billionnaire, and she ended up convincing the brilliant (albeit naive) scientist to join the SGC's side.

Gemini. Sam got too close to the situation and let her emotions get in the way (compare this to Jack's behavior in "Red Sky" or "The Other Side"). She didn't go against Jack's orders, and Jack's own desire to trust Sam and get the information clouded his initial judgment as well.

It's Good To Be King: Her leadership was interrupted by a rather welcome implementation of Jack, but her handling of the situation up to that point was spot on. She probably should have shot Maybourne just for GP, though.

The Reckonings. I'm lost here. We all know how that panned out. So, can you tell me what she did that "balled up" that mission? Was it before or after she and Jacob deciphered the weapon on Dakara and wiped out the Replicators?

Hmmm... Now that I look at all of these instances, I think I see what you're saying here... Sam is definitely bad at any sort of command.
                        As a member of the Royal Court of Samanda, I believe it is my duty to point out when a Samandan ventures into dangerous territory and defends our fair queen to the likes of an absolute <fill in euphamism of your choice> who for some reason does not see her majesty in the same way we do...(of course, he/she has a right to his/her completely ridiculous opinion...)

So now, straight from the Browder's character should OUTRANK Carter thread, I give you THE SPAZMEISTER!!!!!

For you SPAZ, first, a round of applause from the audience...

...and then a heaping bunch of blue jello!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all give it up for THE DANCER OF SPAZ!!!

I encourage all like-minded Samandans to go and show your appreciation for this brilliant post (that is of course if your green keepers are in a giving mood today).

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

Wow! Great post, Dancer! And thanks for posting it here for the rest of us to read, Uber

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          I am of course banned from greening you at the moment...CURSE YOU KEEPERS OF GREEN FOR YOUR STINGINESS!!!!!

I can only give you a feast of Jello...both BLUE and GREEN:

Blue AND green - wow, thanks, Uber!

And, I apologize to sg1fanintn and the others who tried to send me PMs this afternoon (GW sent me 'mailbox full messages' each time, but I didn't get back online until this evening). This afternoon I was working on making a card to put in the box when I mail the Collection to AT (it felt kind of weird to just put the book in a box and then slap the address on the outside and send if off)... I figured we should have a short note inside the box telling AT what the book is and who it is from (the SaGC thread). So... there I was starting to construct a card with a note, when... there was a loud bang/crash on the ceiling!

I thought something had fallen onto my roof.... and then I remembered that the ceiling above my head was the floor of my bedroom - so I hotfooted it up there to see what had fallen over... everything looked OK, but I checked both upstairs rooms just in case. I could also hear an alarm going off somewhere outside - it sounded like a continuous 'end of class bell' from high school... and there is a middle school just across the street, so I figured that the ringing bell was coming from there.

Heading downstairs, I went outside to see if I could get any information... like maybe finding out that my neighbor had been moving something and it had fallen over (to explain the crashing sound that I'd heard). Once outside though, it was obvious that something 'big' was up - there were kids everywhere and moms and other folks moving around and everyone was excited and talking. And then... 'There's water coming out of the ceiling' one of the kids shouts... and three apartments over... there was... water coming out of the ceiling! In minutes, there was water draining out into the parking lot. And then another kid screamed, 'And it's coming out of our ceiling too!'... One apartment closer to mine (yikes!). I moved closer to their apartment and I could hear the water running out of the ceiling and onto the middle of their living room floor!

I went back into my apartment and called a friend while shutting down my computer (I was working on a little note to include with the tome to AT). I then unplugged and turned off everything electronic that I had downstairs and then got out some plastic bags and started covering things. My friend came over - and she was prepared - she brought *large* garbage bags to cover things and she jumped right in with helping me cover things... if the water travelled along that second floor and my ceiling started leaking, I wanted to save as much as I could!

And, did I say that it cracked 100 degrees here today? Well, it did! Now, I didn't have the AC on because I was downstairs (which is much cooler than upstairs) and I had the shades closed, so it was still comfortable temperature-wise. Unfortunately, after this water pipe blew, I had the front door wide open so that I could keep tabs on what was going on. The temp in my apt rose rapidly!

It took hours... but eventually we got the whole story and things settled down just after 8pm. It turns out that it was a fire sprinkler pipe that blew - not a regular water pipe - and the two pipe systems are completely separate - so even after they turned the water off to the system that had the broken pipe, we all still had water for sinks, toilets, etc. The fire sprinkler system can pump water at 200 gallons per minute... high pressure! The section of pipe that failed was inside a wall and no inspection would have ever discovered the weak pipe before it failed.

The pipe that blew was in the wall upstairs... water immediately filled the wall and then the second floor/first floor ceiling... the water spread through to the next apartment - and that ceiling actually failed first. The two apartments on either side of the two seriously damaged ones, ended up with water damage to their first floor floors where the water seeped through.

Me? I have to apartment right next to the four apartments that ended up with water damage. So... I appear to be safe... for now...

Very impressive to see the fire department come in and deal with it - they apparently knocked holes in the walls of the apartment where the pipe blew - they had to find the broken pipe and make sure that that's what the problem was. Then they got called to another emergency across town... everyone here was thinking... 'Umm...? So now what do we do?' The manager/owner called in a company that specializes in this type of housing emergency... A truck and a van and a whole crew of people set to work on the two most heavily damaged apartments. They pulled out all of the furniture and tenant belongings (with the tenants' help) and moved it to a vacant apartment. They then ripped out carpet and the pad below it... they cut out sections of the first floor ceilings (I stuck my head in and looked when it was all over)... they sprayed with fungicide so that no mold or such would get started before everything dried out.... And folks commented on how the 100 degree weather would help things dry quickly (glass is half full!).

So... then it's almost 9:30pm... I have my computer reconnected... plastic removed from the computer and the things connected to it (cable modem, printer, monitor, backup hard drives), but I think I'm going to leave the rest of it until tomorrow!

Just got back on to the thread and started to read a few posts.. and then the thread went down!

OT (Off-Topic?)... Topic=Sam... well, I was working on a card to AT at the time it all started...

At any rate, it's now 10:30ish here and I have cleaned out my Gateworld mailbox so that I can now send and receive

Comment

(((astro)))

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              Blue AND green - wow, thanks, Uber!

And, I apologize to sg1fanintn and the others who tried to send me PMs this afternoon (GW sent me 'mailbox full messages' each time, but I didn't get back online until this evening).

<snippety doo da AstroG's tale of woe>

At any rate, it's now 10:30ish here and I have cleaned out my Gateworld mailbox so that I can now send and receive
                              Um. Wow.

And furthermore...WOW.

Welcome back...pull up a dry chair and take a load off...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Kat
                                Awww! He knows you too well and wants you to be happy, Forever! That's cute!

Comment

Working...
                                X