Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Famantha View Post
    Sorry Mandy I really can't picture Daniel in that dress lol, I try to but my brain won't cooperate

I didn't see all of season 1 when it 1st aired in France and I didn't see Emancipation at that time. I also missed re-runs... I waited some years to be able to finally see it !! And I enjoyed watching it, the dress and the reactions of the boys and soldier Sam yeeahhh that was fun !!
    Good old times when the members of the team were learning to work with each other héhé
    Perhaps some one with photoshop could help you out
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
      I confess as well.

I LOVED Emancipation.

Okay sure. There was a cheese factor in play and yes bits of the episode were pretty cliched.
      That was the beauty of the beginning of our beloved show lol
      it gave us material to discuss we wouldn't have liked them so much if it had been perfect since the beginning (who's saying it never was perfect lol ?

But there were also large chunks of that episode that I thought were gold. The team interaction. The way they needled her about the dress. The glint of undiluted hatred and disgust in her eyes. The support from her team who backed her up and made sure they rescued her before Turghan got a hold of her. Her frustration at Jack for rejecting the idea of rescuing the girl she encouraged to rebel.

That kickass fight.

We learned a lot about Carter and her sense of honor and duty...about her resolve, her courage and her heart. She showed she is a true hero...willing to put herself on the line for the greater good.

And did I mention how much I digged that fight?
      you said it all
      and the shot of her in the camp, I really like it, she looked beautiful there

Spoiler:

cap from Jackfic
      Not the shot I wanted but it wasn't there I loved when she was looking away

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      Perhaps some one with photoshop could help you out
      please no !!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        I'm all for changing the title to this thread. Perhaps something like Samanda - An appreciation of Amanda and her work. Then the new thread that Sally created can become the official Sam is a Great Character thread since that's basically what they discuss on it. People can still discuss Sam on the Samanda thread, but we can discuss other things as well without losing our history and not feeling like we are constantly going OT by discussing Helen, Sanctury, TVM, or telling a joke or two.

I joined this thread because at the time, it was one of the few positive places I could find where I could discuss Sam and Amanda openly without worrying about being bashed for my positive viewpoint. This place has become like a sanctuary for many of us and I would hate to see it lose its community feel -- but maybe Sally should be the one to have the final say since she was the person who actually created the thread.
        Yeah I agree!!! That is why I joined this thread because it was such a positive place to talk about Sam and Amanda. And the community feel is what I love about it too...

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        I must confess, I like Emancipation too but I still think Sam should have made Daniel wear the blue dress
        LOL! You may have a point...it was Daniel's idea to stay on the planet so they could learn more.

~SNIP~
        Okay sure. There was a cheese factor in play and yes bits of the episode were pretty cliched.

But there were also large chunks of that episode that I thought were gold. The team interaction. The way they needled her about the dress. The glint of undiluted hatred and disgust in her eyes. The support from her team who backed her up and made sure they rescued her before Turghan got a hold of her. Her frustration at Jack for rejecting the idea of rescuing the girl she encouraged to rebel.

That kickass fight.

We learned a lot about Carter and her sense of honor and duty...about her resolve, her courage and her heart. She showed she is a true hero...willing to put herself on the line for the greater good.

yeah I agree too. It was a bit clichéd, but you know they had to visits planets where women were not considered warriors. How many real countries do not allow women to fight for their country if they so choose?
        I thought it setup the ground work for what was important to Carter as you mentioned Ooooober....

and on a side note completely OT:

Spoiler:
        GO LADY VOLS!!!!!
        for winning their 7th NCAA National championship last night!!!!!!!

Comment

http://richlabonte.net/tvvote/index.html

Please vote for Stargate SG1 as best tv show of all time!
          We're not doing to well and we need your help!!

you can vote every hour!, so please keep voting

Oh and I really think Sam looks a lot better in that blue dress than Daniel
          : Now you, you I would listen to if you were reading a phonebook.
          Geeky : Oh brother...
          : See I love this whole sexy librarian thing...

Supporting Samantha Carter as leader of Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
            I don't know. I don't enjoy television series/movies simply because they have a particular name on them.

I really enjoyed the first three Star Wars movies; however, I didn't really care for the most recent ones. The cast just didn't have the same chemistry to me.

And while I really enjoyed Star Trek and Star Trek: TNG, I wasn't as fond of Voyager and DS9 but I watched both quite regularly. I never bothered watching Enterprise.

...and the same goes with Stargate. I loved seasons 1-8, really disliked 9, thought 10 was better than 9 but not as good as 1-8; and I'm not a huge fan of Atlantis. Not that there anything wrong with the show, I just never found the characters to be as interesting as the ones on SG-1.

Love CSI, but don't care for CSI Miami or the other one whose name slips my mind at the moment.

So while I may enjoy a particular franchise, the name alone isn't enough to keep me watching.

The name brings me to try it out. Star Wars, I loved them all, some better then others. Star Trek - I checked them all out, Deep Space 9 and Voyager I stayed with because the characters and stories drew me in. Atlantis, I started watching because of the fact the same team who made SG1 was making Atlantis - I stayed because I enjoyed the characters and stories and the possibility of SG1 character cross overs. Although SG1 is still my favorite. [Of course, because of Sam Carter]

In essence, the name brings me there, the characters and stories either draw me in or I try something else. If it's a series, I will give it several episodes before I decide and I peak in periodically if I didn't like it to see if it has changed or I have...

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
              I have not seen Star Wars (only parts of the first one). I have watched parts of all of the Treks. TNG is the only one I've seen in it's entirety and only after it came out on DVD. UPN and its incessant screwing around with the schedule would eventually put me off of each one. Half the time you couldn't find the show.

X-Files is my all time favorite.

Unfortunately, dad had to pass away for us to discover that mom is as much of a SF fan as myself and my sister are. My dad had harrassed me about SF ever since my Lost in Space days. But now that mom has been able to come out of her SF closet, we have something we can all do together. She came to AT2 and Avalon with us and will be going to Chicago with us (which we've been to every year since it started). She traveled to Toronto with us, since Sam is her fav character. We're all planning on going to AT3 as well. Would love to go to Vancouver, but don't know if we can swing all 3 next year. Especially since we'd like to do some real traveling and go to places that we've always wanted to visit.
              I grew up watching ST-TNG and I pretended I hated it lol I haven't seen anything else apart from that and SG and SG turned me in to a total geek hehehe and I love it and am proud to call myself a SG geek!

I have a question I've been mean to ask since I started posting here at the end of October last year, see I'm just a baby Samanda lol but back on topic, can someone please explain to me what this> Hic Comitas Regit!! means?

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic
              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I confess as well.

I LOVED Emancipation.

That kickass fight.

I agree about your assessment of Emancipation. You said what I've felt about the episode and what it showed us of Sam Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                  I grew up watching ST-TNG and I pretended I hated it lol I haven't seen anything else apart from that and SG and SG turned me in to a total geek hehehe and I love it and am proud to call myself a SG geek!

I have a question I've been mean to ask since I started posting here at the end of October last year, see I'm just a baby Samanda lol but back on topic, can someone please explain to me what this> Hic Comitas Regit!! means?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                  That was one of my first questions too

it means "kindness reings here"
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Well the reason I had proposed "Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends" was that the concept encapsulates all our key points:

* Samanda. That's our name and how we are now and will continue to be known by.

* Amanda's Community. We're a community of friends spread across the world from various walks of life...all joined in our appreciation of Sam/Amanda.

* New Fans. We're welcoming to those who are new to Sam/Amanda. It doesn't take long to go from New Fan to Old Friend around here...but adding this highlights the fact that we're not closed off here. The doors are always open.

* Old Friends. Anyone who's posted more than twice.

So...IF the idea of a thread name change being bandied about is legitimate and not just a random thread topic, I officially put forth Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends to be considered for the above reasons.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Samandans go vote for Sam here !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                        You are, of course, completely right. And I'm as much a Samandan as anyone else and stood up and said so at AT2. And I agree that it's not exclusive, it's very welcoming and so it should be.

I think what I'm trying to get over to all of you is that if something is worth keeping, it's worth going to bat for. I personally believe that Samanda is worth keeping alive and encouraging new people to become a part of, however you choose to call it.

I've been in Amanda's fandom since 1998. I was one of the original members of Kamil's Amanda/Sam discussion list out of the website, went to Amanda's first ever convention and was the only member of the list there, told Amanda about the discussion group's existence and then did the report when I got back. It was one of the few discussion lists around then to discuss Amanda and her work and it was fun. I've seen across the years the various incarnations of lists/forums and communities dedicated to Amanda rise up and then some disband. To me there is something about Samanda that is special and which speaks of what Amanda's fans are about. I've watched you support each other through sickness, bereavement and happy times. That's a community, not just a bunch of fans stuck together not caring about each other. I think it's fantastic that a load of you come together and meet up in real life and draw more people into your family, and that a whole group of you made it to Toronto to support Amanda at the VM performances. You are a special group. Hold onto that and hold onto this thread which in my book represents Amanda's fandom in person.

If you want something you have to go get it yourself and not expect someone else to do it for you. They won't.

I'm most definitely off my soapbox now and off to do some work.

Julia
                        G4

I agree

Now that Amanda is going on to other roles-though our beloved Sam is one of them-it might be time to broaden our name to draw more members. But I do think keeping the title Samanda is very important. It's come to mean so much more than just a combination of Sam and Amanda's names.

Comment

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          It's latin for Kindness Reigns Here.

Comment

Originally posted by starprops View Post
                            Oooh, your list reminded me of some favorites that didn't come to my sleep deprived mind - Emma Peel - one of the best! And Devon Adair, which reminds me of another favorite - Julia Heller from Earth 2. I can't believe I forgot Dana Scully too!
                            I could so see AT playing Emma Peel. Emma just rocked, and doesn't get near the credit that she deserves I think. Calm, Cool, collected...in charge. Reminds me of Sam a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                              I could so see AT playing Emma Peel. Emma just rocked, and doesn't get near the credit that she deserves I think. Calm, Cool, collected...in charge. Reminds me of Sam a lot.
                              Hmm...yea, I think I could see AT playing Emma Peel also, if I remember correctly I think she could kick-butt also
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I grew up watching ST-TNG and I pretended I hated it lol I haven't seen anything else apart from that and SG and SG turned me in to a total geek hehehe and I love it and am proud to call myself a SG geek!Julia(samcarterrules)
                                I too, grew up with The Next Gen. I got the dreaded pox (chicken, not small) when I was about six, and because South Africa was always lightyears behind in television, we only got the series a few years after it was created. I stayed home with the neighbour, and discovered TNG. I used to walk around school tapping just below my right collar bone requesting my friends to 'beam me up'. I also, might have known way too many Klingon words .

And I also have quite an affection for Emancipation. I think I always just view those early episodes in a kind of '90s context, and I love watching the evolution of Sam to the present. If y'all want to get whiplash, go watch Threads, and then follow it with CotG's.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X