Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
    I have a Sam related question.

A friend in our little group of Toronto goers last month, is not a fan of SciFi. Said she tried to watch SG and didn't like it (she saw part of the prison planet ep - don't remember the name at the moment). She is a fan of AT after seeing her in TVM, so I'm trying to get her to give SG a chance.

If you could show someone only 1 episode to get them hooked on the show, what would it be? Preferably, a Sam eppie. (and remember, it can't rely too much on past events)
    I'd go with Children of the Gods to hook someone - hooked me! But, if you're looking for a strong Sam episode, I'd agree with others; Singularity or In the Line of Duty or S7's Death Knell.
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post

Brilliant! Thank you.

And now I have to get something to eat. See you all later.
      sigpic
      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        I have a Sam related question.

A friend in our little group of Toronto goers last month, is not a fan of SciFi. Said she tried to watch SG and didn't like it (she saw part of the prison planet ep - don't remember the name at the moment). She is a fan of AT after seeing her in TVM, so I'm trying to get her to give SG a chance.

If you could show someone only 1 episode to get them hooked on the show, what would it be? Preferably, a Sam eppie. (and remember, it can't rely too much on past events)
        i'd go with singularity and solitudes as others have suggested
        also foothold and hathor adn ITLOD and Secrets

all great sam episodes even if a few are a little cheesy
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not talking about merging anything. What i'd like to do is make sure that ALL the threads survive. Like someone else recently said 'there has been so much negativity and sam bashing lately, i'd love anything that's pro sam to contiue to exist'
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm on my lunch break and really shouldn't even be here... work burying me and all... so I will make this very brief (or as brief as my usual long winded self can be )... and who knows when I’ll get a chance to come back.

I've been in here since 2004 Dang does that make me old.. shoot ... funny thing is I don't get a chance to post very often and probably not really considered one of the regulars.... But in that time many many moons ago

Ok seriously... Samanda is what you make of it. It's a group of diverse people with many different personalities, sense of humors, insightful poems, posts, pics or videos. If everyone was like me this thread would still be struggling to post number 10,000 instead of nearly 70,000 posts. I think everyone contributes to make this thread unique. You're not going to agree with everything that is said or done here. We wouldn't be individuals if that were true. I think if we limit it to just one specific topic, then it loses what it has always been, a place for all people that appreciate Amanda and the character(s) she portrays Sam, and someday soon Helen (with spoilers of course). Whether you prefer to talk about only Sam, or Amanda, or Amanda’s other projects, this has always been where you can post with the majority of people that are interested in the other projects too. Granted until recently the Sam character was the majority of the conversation because we didn’t have Sanctuary, or the VM to discuss. And before GABIT very few Samandans had ever met. We were just posters identified by our avatars or sigs … It’s like with anything else if you meet a group of people for the first time… you won’t automatically understand the jokes. Eventually though you begin to form your own friendships… If you only want to talk about Sam, or post pic captions, or make humorous posts to keep the thread light for those that have had a stressful day and don’t really want to think about anything (and yep that’s me the reader), if you’ve watched your favorite episode or one that you haven’t seen in a while and just want to post how awesome it was, or pick it apart or whatever … then do that!!!!!!!!! No one is preventing you from doing that. It doesn’t mean everyone will join the discussion (I rarely see 20 people in real life discussing the same thing at the same time. They are usually broken up into smaller groups)… but I guarantee there will be someone else in this wide array of people that will join the discussion. And if it’s just two of you discussing it what’s the harm in that?

Here comes my last point I promise …For the off topic chatter it can be a bit much at times… However, I consider myself blessed to have chatted with all of you. Many have helped me as well … I have been amazed by the strength and courage that some of our fellow Samandans have. So by making this thread a little more personal it has given us all a chance to “meet” people all over the globe and help them through difficult times, offer a laugh to ease a burden, or encouraging words when needed like any group of friends would. Any ways there’s my long winded two cents…

(((Hugs to you all my friends)))

EDIT: I agree with you Sky currently there are many Sam bashers out there so positive Sam threads are much needed
            Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 03 April 2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

rderoch In season 10 I would suggest Road Not Taken or Line in the Sand. The first of s10 start airing in the states on April 13th (Friday the 13th )
              Lost City is still one of my favorites, it might be a good one to introduce a new fan. There is a lot of explanation for Weir that can be good for someone new to the series... But if you want to start with S1. I would go with Emancipation (good Sam episode), Singularity (the scene with Sam and Cassie in the elevator sold me on AT's talents) or Solitudes (the shipper in me was born ).

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                rderoch In season 10 I would suggest Road Not Taken or Line in the Sand. The first of s10 start airing in the states on April 13th (Friday the 13th )
                Lost City is still one of my favorites, it might be a good one to introduce a new fan. There is a lot of explanation for Weir that can be good for someone new to the series... But if you want to start with S1. I would go with Emancipation (good Sam episode), Singularity (the scene with Sam and Cassie in the elevator sold me on AT's talents) or Solitudes (the shipper in me was born ).
                It was But...but it was too cold to do anything, and he called her Sara
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                  My problem is that I have tried to post in the past when the subject is very heavy Amanda-related and like I said, my perception is that I've been pretty much ignored bar maybe one single reply, primarily because my post has been effectively skipped over to continue whatever discussion is happening about Amanda and maybe one person who's reading the thread later picks up and responds to it but the time delay means that there is no ongoing discussion engendered.

All of which means now I'm actually very intimidated about posting about Sam when you're all clearly discussing Amanda, which lately has been pretty much all the time, because my impression is that you're all not interested. And like I say I do still try occasionally.

Maybe what has happened with the Amanda thread is that it is allowing those people are feeling a bit like me and possible Eve from what she has posted - intimidated about posting on Sam here - a place to post and be responded to. And maybe the reason for the thread is that this one has been so unbalanced lately.

Like I said before and like many of you who are enjoying discussing Amanda and Sam here, I'd prefer a single thread but ultimately that does mean we all have to make an effort to ensure there's a balance; I have to get over being intimidated about posting in the midst of an Amanda discussion and it would be nice if one or more of you actually responds to a Sam post even if its just to acknowledge someone has posted something even if you're not actively joining in the debate - at least, whoever has posted won't feel that the post was unwanted or that they're being ignored.

So there seems to be several issues to resolve here...

1. The OT stuff needs to subside a bit, or take the OT discussion back to the Blue Jello Corner.

2. Those people who wish to discuss Sam, really need to stop relying on the older, more loquacious folks for keeping a discussion going. If you really wish to chat about Sam, then make it happen. Obviously there is several of you on the AT thread capable of keeping a discussion going, so do it here. I adore Sam, truly I do. I think she's a fantastic character, but in the end, she is still just a character to me and while I enjoy chatting bout her on occassion, I just don't enjoy going on in grand detail about every tiny aspect of her life. In many cases, I don't get involved in the discussions because people often transcend Sam into a greater than all entity which makes me feel very uncomfortable discussing the more negative aspects of the character. I don't believe in bashing a character or an actor, but I also get rather tired of hearing how absolutely wonderful they are as well. Everything in balance, is what I say.

3. The Amanda fangurls, myself included, also need to learn to balance our discussions to include Sam more often. I'll admit I also need to work on responding more to comments people direct to me personally, in this thread as well in reps. The hardest part for me is that writing is not my forte. It's not something that comes easily and while I did try to do respond more often in the past, I found that I ended up spending way too much time online discussing things that people had said in response to my comments and my daughter was beginning to feel ignored. So sadly, my choice was to limit my discussion time even if it made me appear uninterested or rude at times. Hopefully noone takes it personally. It's not that I'm not interested or that I don't want to respond. But as I said, writing for me is not something I do well or feel comfortable doing, so sitting online responding to every rep, email and comment could literally take hours out of my day and while some people may have this luxury... I really don't.
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 03 April 2007, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    Yes, but they played off the physical chemistry with those two very heavily in that episode. It was rather blatantly inferred the viewer was supposed to sense there was an attraction, albeit a fairly harmless one.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                      Yes, but they played off the physical chemistry with those two very heavily in that episode. It was rather blatantly inferred the viewer was supposed to sense there was an attraction, albeit a fairly harmless one.
                      Must have been harmless, it didn't get my back up and I'm the biggest nonshipper on the block. I liked the episode, even though the team were appart, they were working together.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

You know if you watch that ep in French dubbed...you will hear he says Sam instead of Sara

Yeah dubbing does make mistakes lol

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                          Must have been harmless, it didn't get my back up and I'm the biggest nonshipper on the block. I liked the episode, even though the team were appart, they were working together.

FF
                          I rather liked it also, I thought they worked well together to solve that problem and, in fact, I've always enjoyed Carter and O'Neill working together to solve problems because of their diametrically different mindsets within an overall military subtext. They're both Air Force, they both follow the same rules but their thought processes are essentially extremely unique when it comes to problem solving. What I would have loved to see, had SG-1 gone further and had Jack continued to be a part of the scenario, would have been a blow-up between them as Carter came into her own, command-wise and in terms of experience. Not just the innocuous disagreements we were privy to on occasion, but something bigger (in the general's office perhaps, or her lab, when there weren't prying eyes). I think eventually, Carter would have come to a point where she thought something she was doing was a better way to go than O'Neill did and by virtue of their long standing friendship, at some point after a decade, she'd have had the moxy to be a little irreverent in the sense that she'd openly disagree with him and not back down.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                            You know if you watch that ep in French dubbed...you will hear he says Sam instead of Sara

Yeah dubbing does make mistakes lol
                            Well don't watch it in French then
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                              I rather liked it also, I thought they worked well together to solve that problem and, in fact, I've always enjoyed Carter and O'Neill working together to solve problems because of their diametrically different mindsets within an overall military subtext. They're both Air Force, they both follow the same rules but their thought processes are essentially extremely unique when it comes to problem solving. What I would have loved to see, had SG-1 gone further and had Jack continued to be a part of the scenario, would have been a blow-up between them as Carter came into her own, command-wise and in terms of experience. Not just the innocuous disagreements we were privy to on occasion, but something bigger (in the general's office perhaps, or her lab, when there weren't prying eyes). I think eventually, Carter would have come to a point where she thought something she was doing was a better way to go than O'Neill did and by virtue of their long standing friendship, at some point after a decade, she'd have had the moxy to be a little irreverent in the sense that she'd openly disagree with him and not back down.
                              I thought we did see some of the disagreement early on in First Commandment, Sam said "No Sir" to Jack's order to go back through the gate.
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I thought we did see some of the disagreement early on in First Commandment, Sam said "No Sir" to Jack's order to go back through the gate.
                                I'm talking a full-on fight. Not physical of course. Not a spur of the moment thing in the field, but a big deal issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X