Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
    Sorry if I made you mad...but the fact is not everyone is the same... While some just jump in and don't really mind the inside jokes, others are very insecure... and don't know how to react on things. And yes maybe I am biased cause I was (still am a bit) very insecure... so I can see others who are shy about posting.

I will keep posting, if people want it or not...

As for the humour, yes it is fun...Most of the time I laugh with it but sometimes it can get to much and if you see 3 or 4 pages with only jokes...It can be frustrating to catch up on.

But you know what let's just drop it... I don't want to have a fight about it. If it is possible to have the name changed and everyone agree's let's change it, just make sure people know where it stands for.. and that it attracks a lot of people.
    I will reiterate what I said before,
    no one has stopped you from discussing anything...ever.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I have to say that I really like the idea of incorporating both the word Samanda and Community in the title of the thread.

Samanda is recognizable as a fan entity...heck Amanda knows what Samanda is...so it would make sense for that to be a part of the title. Further, adding the word community gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's not just random fans posting about this and that. It's Amanda's community of fans who gather and share...who weep with each other during bad times and rejoice during good.

Sure there is always the concern that new friends might feel either left out or not understand "inside" jokes...but one thing that I find truly special and unique about Samanda is that there's no pretension nor elitism. If new friends want to ask what something means...they do and those in the know happily share.

Without growth, a community stagnates...and Samanda is no different. Left to just the original members, the conversation would very naturally move away from the stuff that's been hashed and rehashed...but with new members who haven't been there and done that, they can and do talk about their feelings about specific episodes or moments...and it gives oldbies a chance to share their perspective while maybe gaining new perspective on what they thought they knew so well thanks to the insight of new friends.

Samanda is a very welcoming community...the only requirements being that you show up and participate, respect the fans and respect Amanda and Carter. The concept itself is almost misleading since our "kingdom" has no borders.

So...yes. I think if someone suggested a rename of the thread to "Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends" or something equally as inviting, I'd be in favor of it.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Interesting. Don't change the name because you think it will scare off new Sam fans? Hang on... I thought your whole point was that we're scaring off new Sam fans anyway and they don't want to come and chat and that's the whole point of the new thread. Make up your mind.

I just find it laughable that you say there are no new members and so on. Yes, in my head I still consider you a new member, but then again, CG and company probably still consider me a newbie. My point is, look at the people who are posting: Sam Carter Fan and Sam Carter Rocks and Sam Carter Rules and Wibbling haven't been around all that long. Well, Sam Carter Rules has, I think (I get a little confused with those user names!).

You don't change a thread by complaining, you change a thread by doing something about it. If you want Sam discussion or to keep the thread moving, then POST something, for heaven's sake. If you can't think of anything to post, give one of the others a nudge.

As for only ten posters, I can't remember whether it was Sally or yourself who said that, I beg to differ. Look at the regular Samandans, there's a hell of a lot more than ten Samandans round and the "inner circle" as you would have it (given that you think we're so cliquey and mean) is a lot bigger than other threads that have a core group of four or five.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
          Yeah, I've never watched any of the Star Treks and...

*brace yourselves*

...I have not ever watched the original Star Wars trilogy. I came in at The Phantom Menace, when Master Lucas took it just three steps too far.

*dodges stuffed mini ewoks and picard creatures*

My parents have never been into scifi. They barely tolerated my X-Files adoration when I was younger. But now they don't have to, so they're very vocal about it. The emblem on Teal'c's forehead confuses my mother, despite repeat explanations; Thor and the various other aliens disgust her. I can't imagine how she'd react if she saw an episode of Farscape.
          I have not seen Star Wars (only parts of the first one). I have watched parts of all of the Treks. TNG is the only one I've seen in it's entirety and only after it came out on DVD. UPN and its incessant screwing around with the schedule would eventually put me off of each one. Half the time you couldn't find the show.

X-Files is my all time favorite.

Unfortunately, dad had to pass away for us to discover that mom is as much of a SF fan as myself and my sister are. My dad had harrassed me about SF ever since my Lost in Space days. But now that mom has been able to come out of her SF closet, we have something we can all do together. She came to AT2 and Avalon with us and will be going to Chicago with us (which we've been to every year since it started). She traveled to Toronto with us, since Sam is her fav character. We're all planning on going to AT3 as well. Would love to go to Vancouver, but don't know if we can swing all 3 next year. Especially since we'd like to do some real traveling and go to places that we've always wanted to visit.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

I've never watched Star Trek, I've never seen Star Wars entirely but I'd like to....
            I'm not sure I'm a scifi fan but I do love SG

I had quite a catching up to do yesterday, and I also think one thread is a good thing, as other pointed out it's already difficult to follow everything sometimes, but I do like to read some funny OT things here and there, and I like to have just one place to check out for everything Amanda related
            And I can't say I've been talking much about Sam lately
            I tend to read and answer from time to time, I have to try to change that. That won't happen that week end since I'll be away but you never know
            As for the name, it can be changed I guess, especially if we keep discussing not only Sam Carter, and I like what Oober suggested.
            I tend to agree with the most people here so I don't need to say more I think
            sigpic

Comment

Time for some things that make me happy!

Spoiler:
              PICS!!!
              Who can forget this one One of my personal favorites. She kicked ass in this eppie

Spoiler:
              The many (beautiful) faces of Amanda Tapping *sigh*

Spoiler:
              Then of course one of my all time favorites... THE YOUNGER SAM! she's so adorable.

Spoiler:
              Many different hair styles
              : Now you, you I would listen to if you were reading a phonebook.
              Geeky : Oh brother...
              : See I love this whole sexy librarian thing...

Supporting Samantha Carter as leader of Atlantis

Comment

Ok to talk also a little bit about the name change and such.

To start with i don't mind a change, i don't know. Maybe you shouldnt do it because the thread and the Samandas are known under the name of this thread, changing it could confuse people(like me)

And about the new people.

I still see myself as a newbie(maybe a newbie with lots of posts) but still i see myself like that. I dont post here much, and i am the most of the time a lurker here...i don't know when to post or what to post, maybe that is because of my insecurity i dont know. I just have trouble to feel comfortable somewhere very quickly I like to post here sometimes...my stuff or so...but i dont know exactly what to say in a discussion, that could be because i am afraid i am repeating things or that i say a wrong thing...i still dont know the lines here....don't know where to go exactly if you still understand me.

I think that lots of people in here still don't know who i am or what my name is, that is mainly because of me lurking here a lot(that is also a little bit because i am lazy) But sometimes it is hard to jump into a discussion i know you can do it and such...but lets just call it insecurity of me that i don't do it quickly...

Oye...long post sorry if i just said stupid things in here...if you think that just ignore me ...for the rest...this where just my thoughts
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                  Now that's just wrong :|
                  I don't know. I don't enjoy television series/movies simply because they have a particular name on them.

I really enjoyed the first three Star Wars movies; however, I didn't really care for the most recent ones. The cast just didn't have the same chemistry to me.

And while I really enjoyed Star Trek and Star Trek: TNG, I wasn't as fond of Voyager and DS9 but I watched both quite regularly. I never bothered watching Enterprise.

...and the same goes with Stargate. I loved seasons 1-8, really disliked 9, thought 10 was better than 9 but not as good as 1-8; and I'm not a huge fan of Atlantis. Not that there anything wrong with the show, I just never found the characters to be as interesting as the ones on SG-1.

Love CSI, but don't care for CSI Miami or the other one whose name slips my mind at the moment.

So while I may enjoy a particular franchise, the name alone isn't enough to keep me watching.
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 04 April 2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    As to the changes. I think if any sweeping changes are made, it's something we need to discuss. I know that not everyone will be happy about it no matter what we do.

The one thing i would have to discuss with the other mods is if we change this title to be a gathering of fans and a fan community if it can still stay in characters and relationships or if it belongs in fandom.

If folks want to discuss it, we can certainly discuss it. Or we can wait. new episodes in the US start next friday, which will give us something to talk about
                    I'm all for changing the title to this thread. Perhaps something like Samanda - An appreciation of Amanda and her work. Then the new thread that Sally created can become the official Sam is a Great Character thread since that's basically what they discuss on it. People can still discuss Sam on the Samanda thread, but we can discuss other things as well without losing our history and not feeling like we are constantly going OT by discussing Helen, Sanctuary, TVM, or telling a joke or two.

I joined this thread because at the time, it was one of the few positive places I could find where I could discuss Sam and Amanda openly without worrying about being bashed for my comments. This place has become like a sanctuary for many of us and I would hate to see it lose its community feel -- but maybe Sally should be the one to have the final say since she was the person who actually created the thread.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 04 April 2007, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                      I have to say that I really like the idea of incorporating both the word Samanda and Community in the title of the thread.

Samanda is recognizable as a fan entity...heck Amanda knows what Samanda is...so it would make sense for that to be a part of the title. Further, adding the word community gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's not just random fans posting about this and that. It's Amanda's community of fans who gather and share...who weep with each other during bad times and rejoice during good.

Sure there is always the concern that new friends might feel either left out or not understand "inside" jokes...but one thing that I find truly special and unique about Samanda is that there's no pretension nor elitism. If new friends want to ask what something means...they do and those in the know happily share.

Without growth, a community stagnates...and Samanda is no different. Left to just the original members, the conversation would very naturally move away from the stuff that's been hashed and rehashed...but with new members who haven't been there and done that, they can and do talk about their feelings about specific episodes or moments...and it gives oldbies a chance to share their perspective while maybe gaining new perspective on what they thought they knew so well thanks to the insight of new friends.

Samanda is a very welcoming community...the only requirements being that you show up and participate, respect the fans and respect Amanda and Carter. The concept itself is almost misleading since our "kingdom" has no borders.

So...yes. I think if someone suggested a rename of the thread to "Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends" or something equally as inviting, I'd be in favor of it.
                      I like your idea for a new name or we could go simple - Sam, Helen, etc. is a/are Great Character/s....

Comment

Originally posted by SamCarterFan View Post
                        Time for some things that make me happy!

Spoiler:
                        PICS!!!
                        Who can forget this one One of my personal favorites. She kicked ass in this eppie

I must confess, I like Emancipation too but I still think Sam should have made Daneil wear the blue dress
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                          Several days late, but I'll play:

1. Sam Carter
                          2. Dana Scully
                          3. Aeryn Sun
                          4. Major Kira Nerys
                          5. Jadzia Dax (The first one, not the elfish little thing that came when the first Dax died.)
                          6. Ace-Seventh Doctor's companion
                          7. Emma Peel (No way to convince me that there wasn't something sci-fi-ish going on on The Avengers.
                          8. Devon Adair (Earth 2)
                          9. Alexandra Moreau-as long as I aquint my eyes and pretend that awful series finale hadn't happened. (Poltergeist:The Legacy)

Those are the ones that stand out.
                          Oooh, your list reminded me of some favorites that didn't come to my sleep deprived mind - Emma Peel - one of the best! And Devon Adair, which reminds me of another favorite - Julia Heller from Earth 2. I can't believe I forgot Dana Scully too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            I must confess, I like Emancipation too but I still think Sam should have made Daneil wear the blue dress
                            I confess as well.

I LOVED Emancipation.

Okay sure. There was a cheese factor in play and yes bits of the episode were pretty cliched.

But there were also large chunks of that episode that I thought were gold. The team interaction. The way they needled her about the dress. The glint of undiluted hatred and disgust in her eyes. The support from her team who backed her up and made sure they rescued her before Turghan got a hold of her. Her frustration at Jack for rejecting the idea of rescuing the girl she encouraged to rebel.

That kickass fight.

We learned a lot about Carter and her sense of honor and duty...about her resolve, her courage and her heart. She showed she is a true hero...willing to put herself on the line for the greater good.

And did I mention how much I digged that fight?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                              I'm all for changing the title to this thread. Perhaps something like Samanda - An appreciation of Amanda and her work. Then the new thread that Sally created can become the official Sam is a Great Character thread since that's basically what they discuss on it. People can still discuss Sam on the Samanda thread, but we can discuss other things as well without losing our history and not feeling like we are constantly going OT by discussing Helen, Sanctury, TVM, or telling a joke or two.

I joined this thread because at the time, it was one of the few positive places I could find where I could discuss Sam and Amanda openly without worrying about being bashed for my positive viewpoint. This place has become like a sanctuary for many of us and I would hate to see it lose its community feel -- but maybe Sally should be the one to have the final say since she was the person who actually created the thread.
                              I like your idea for the name change too. A good thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Sorry Mandy I really can't picture Daniel in that dress lol, I try to but my brain won't cooperate

I didn't see all of season 1 when it 1st aired in France and I didn't see Emancipation at that time. I also missed re-runs... I waited some years to be able to finally see it !! And I enjoyed watching it, the dress and the reactions of the boys and soldier Sam yeeahhh that was fun !!
                                Good old times when the members of the team were learning to work with each other héhé
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X