Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    That may be what TPTB are afraid of, that having Jack around could take focus away from whoever they have decided to devote the finale to - Vaniel or HewoMitchell - and also that Jack's bond with his team and the way they mesh so well together will show up how poor a job was done integrating the shiny new characters.
    Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Got it in one.
    I agree entirely.

See...with the original team, the cast was hired based on their chemistry with each other, not based on having famous or semi-famous names. That chemistry is what made the show special to me. What we see now pales in comparison...so much so that having RDA around for any protracted amount of time highlights the obvious deficiency in this new setup and showcases how weak their new lead is...how having him around in the role they have him in has irreversibly damaged the show and the team.

It makes it painfully clear that we at one time had fillet mignon and now are force fed ground chuck. To their endless frustration, those of us who remember "classic SG-1" can tell the difference and simply won't accept what they're selling.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
      I agree entirely.

See...with the original team, the cast was hired based on their chemistry with each other, not based on having famous or semi-famous names. That chemistry is what made the show special to me. What we see now pales in comparison...so much so that having RDA around for any protracted amount of time highlights the obvious deficiency in this new setup and showcases how weak their new lead is...how having him around in the role they have him in has irreversibly damaged the show and the team.

It makes it painfully clear that we at one time had fillet mignon and now are force fed ground chuck. To their endless frustration, those of us who remember "classic SG-1" can tell the difference and simply won't accept what they're selling.
      I'm afraid I have to agree with you Oooooober, and since I can't green you I guess I'll just have to do it here

well that's what it looks like on my control panel
      (with a few things in between of course)
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

See...with the original team, the cast was hired based on their chemistry with each other, not based on having famous or semi-famous names. That chemistry is what made the show special to me.
        A very sensible move on TPTB's parts. Back then, they also took the time to give the characters decent backstories.

What we see now pales in comparison...so much so that having RDA around for any protracted amount of time highlights the obvious deficiency in this new setup and showcases how weak their new lead is...how having him around in the role they have him in has irreversibly damaged the show and the team.
        And the saddest part is that it needn't have turned out like this. Proper introduction and handling of Mitchell's character could have allowed the show to continue much longer. If Amanda wanted to leave, or take a reduced role as base commander a few years down the line, Major Mitchell could be promoted to command SG-1. If new characters were phased in gradually, with the writers taking the long view and thinking how those characters were to be sustained longterm, the show would have been better equipped to handle the departures of members of the original cast and they might have found themselves celebrating a 300th episode and beyond.

Yet they continue to push the inferior product. If you're running a business, and your original product line sold really well while your "new and improved" product failed miserably but you persist in pushing the new product, without listening to what your customers want, then you have only yourself to blame when your business goes bust.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

A very sensible move on TPTB's parts. Back then, they also took the time to give the characters decent backstories.

And the saddest part is that it needn't have turned out like this. Proper introduction and handling of Mitchell's character could have allowed the show to continue much longer. If Amanda wanted to leave, or take a reduced role as base commander a few years down the line, Major Mitchell could be promoted to command SG-1. If new characters were phased in gradually, with the writers taking the long view and thinking how those characters were to be sustained longterm, the show would have been better equipped to handle the departures of members of the original cast and they might have found themselves celebrating a 300th episode and beyond.

Yet they continue to push the inferior product. If you're running a business, and your original product line sold really well while your "new and improved" product failed miserably but you persist in pushing the new product, without listening to what your customers want, then you have only yourself to blame when your business goes bust.
          Good posts, Regan, Oobs and y'all ... I haven't read back through the past day's accumulation of Samscript so don't know if someone has already raised this important point ...

Spoiler:
          At GABIT, Amanda did mention how hard it was for her, MS and CJ to walk up the ramp and through the Gate for the final time even telling us that CB and BB moved aside to give them some private time for all the tears and memories. And then she said that she, Michael and Chris climbed the stairs to the control room and looked through the glass one last time - remembering how this was exactly how they all were the very first time on set ten years ago. I know I already shared this but with the whole RDA expectation being raised ... I can't see how he would be filming with them if Amanda didn't naturally mention that all four of them were so emotional and connected filming the last episode. Ya think there's room for Rick in this scenario?! I'd love to be wrong but I'm not placing any bets on his being there.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
            Good posts, Regan, Oobs and y'all ... I haven't read back through the past day's accumulation of Samscript so don't know if someone has already raised this important point ...

Spoiler:
            At GABIT, Amanda did mention how hard it was for her, MS and CJ to walk up the ramp and through the Gate for the final time even telling us that CB and BB moved aside to give them some private time for all the tears and memories. And then she said that she, Michael and Chris climbed the stairs to the control room and looked through the glass one last time - remembering how this was exactly how they all were the very first time on set ten years ago. I know I already shared this but with the whole RDA expectation being raised ... I can't see how he would be filming with them if Amanda didn't naturally mention that all four of them were so emotional and connected filming the last episode. Ya think there's room for Rick in this scenario?! I'd love to be wrong but I'm not placing any bets on his being there.

Sadly, CG I think you're right

Which only proves to me that SG-1 is truely over, and though I know some people are trying to save it, I am one who can not hop on that band wagon. SG-1 for me ended at the end of S8 with all 4 of them, with Sam surrounded by her team
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              Unless there's a chance that all cast members are under strict instructions not to reveal that RDA is going to be in the finale, I'm afraid you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                *looks round curiously*

Am I in the right thread?!?!

*sighs and perches on a bench looking down on the gutter girls*
                Yes, the natives are restless tonight!

Comment

Spoiler:
                  That is what has me worried too.
                  Spoiler:
                  He can't have been there for the last day of filming. Of course, that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a cameo in the finale that would have been filmed earlier, but I think he should get a whole heck of a lot more than a cameo in the finale.
                  At least we know Amanda was there. It is sad that we'd even need confirmation of her presence, but the last few seasons have made it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                    At least we know Amanda was there. It is sad that we'd even need confirmation of her presence, but the last few seasons have made it necessary.
                    A sign of the times, and not a good one.

Comment

And that is why this series ran for a decade.

Yeah, I'd have absolutely adored that type of scenario. Ben is adorable and talented. I love him, and I love Mitchell, too (now). I just think the initial poor handling of his character's introduction and the reduction of the originals to wallpaper ruined what could have been an amazing 9th season (10 was much better IMO).

Kind of reminds me of the New coke vs. Coke classic fiasco years ago. Nothing was wrong with Coke, but they changed it anyway. Customers cried out and they listened. Unfortunately for us, unlike the Coca-cola company who brought back the original, SG1's PTB refused to admit their mistake and tanked the "real thing" in favor of their new product.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        Sadly, CG I think you're right

Which only proves to me that SG-1 is truly over, and though I know some people are trying to save it, I am one who can not hop on that band wagon. SG-1 for me ended at the end of S8 with all 4 of them, with Sam surrounded by her team
                        Amen, sistah! That's how I felt too and why I'm writing Heat (the never-ending story that refuses to get done. Soon. Soon.)

Amanda is excited about her new role as Executive Producer and wants to do live theatre again and direct ... she is just blossoming and coming into her own as many women do in their 40s. So I'm ready to see her move on, as someone has already mentioned (sorry short-term memory circuitry is off tonight). Stargate could have had a longer run ... if the writers honored Sam's arc (that was Ooob's right?) and let us continue to dine on filet mignon. She wants to play Eleanor of Aquitaine when she's my age! This lady has goals and the energy and talent to make them come about. Now, once she's moved beyond Sam Carter, what will become of Samanda landa?! A valid question. I hope we keep coming here, fourth star to the right ....

"We'll always have Samanda."
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 December 2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

the dirty little secret about 'new coke'...it was no mistake, it was brilliant marketing

cocacola wanted to change sweeteners, from the current one to a cheaper one. but the cheaper one was also much, much sweeter and they knew the change would never go over well. so they intro'd 'new coke' which did taste like pepsi. then, after the outcry, they heroically reintroduced the classic coke...with the cheaper sweetener but since folks had a chance to 'cleanse their palates' they never even noticed that they were now being grateful to coke for reintroducing what was really a new product

basically coke manipulated their customers and the customers bought it.

as to rick in the finale...i don't think they're keeping anything secret. with all the stunt casting they're doing do you really think theyud keep this quiet????
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Have to share this ... a RL Sam-Carter moment. I was invited to visit our science teacher's classroom because my students were working on a project. I walked in and it was beautiful to see. Eight-nine teenaged girls with safety goggles on, huddled around their solar-cell mini robots, soldering the tiny circuitry and using tweezers and magnifying glasses - I was smiling and patting them each on the back - way to go ladies! Building your own robots. I felt like I had walked in on Carter herself!

Oh yes, there are boys in the class too and one of our brightest blondes kept going over to the guys and pointing out that they had gotten their capacitors and wires rigged all wrong! hehehehe

I was so tempted to ask all of them if they watch Stargate. I'm new at the school and will try to keep a low profile for a bit. Sooner or later I'll let them know that Sam Carter rules but they seem to be doing fine on their own.

Comment

That is so cool, CG!!! WTG.

Have to share this ... a RL Sam-Carter moment. I was invited to visit our science teacher's classroom because my students were working on a project. I walked in and it was beautiful to see. Eight-nine teenaged girls with safety goggles on, huddled around their solar-cell mini robots, soldering the tiny circuitry and using tweezers and magnifying glasses - I was smiling and patting them each on the back - way to go ladies! Building your own robots.

I felt like I had walked in on Carter herself!

Oh yes, there are boys in the class too and one of our brightest blondes kept going over to the guys and pointing out that they had gotten their capacitors and wires rigged all wrong! hehehehe

I was so tempted to ask all of them if they watch Stargate. I'm new at the school and will try to keep a low profile for a bit. Sooner or later I'll let them know that Sam Carter rules but they seem to be doing fine on their own.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Wonderful story ChompinGal! I wonder how many young women developed an interest in Science because of Sam Carter. I know that Stargate is where my daughter's interest came from, but it would be cool to know just how much of an influence Sam has been on future scientists. Wow, wouldn't it be cool if the Scientic journals reported a major percentage increase in female scientists in say 5 years. It would be pretty easy to trace that to Sam Carter, escpecially for a die hard Samandan.

Comment

Working...
                                X