Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
    I think a lot of us are just starting to come out of the clouds and process our experience but do know that what majorsal is talking about is very important to Amanda.

So ... here's the question again, Samandans. Do take time to answer honestly. I do believe that AT spends time on fan threads and values our support ...

If Sam Carter will be spending more time on Atlantis, what would you like to see? What role should Sam play? Commander of the Odyssey? Co-scientist with McKay? Fellow warrior with Teyla on a mission?

What would be your concerns about Sam moving over to Atlantis? Do you think she will fit in with the veteran cast? How will she contribute to the Atlantis arc?

Put your thinking caps on and be imaginative! If you were writing Atlantis and incorporating Sam ... where would you take her?!

Maybe Sky can play with this question with the other GW mods and create a poll/survey for all the many fanbases to weigh in on how they'd like to see Sam in Atlantis? Or whether they even want to see Sam go there? Will having Sam on Atlantis be a welcomed turn of events or not?!

Let's all play with this a bit. I think it's important to Amanda.

Peace, CG
    As much as I know AT likes to work with DH, I think Sam should get to work with more of the Atlantis people too. As much as Sam deserves command of a ship I would hesitate to favor this because
    Spoiler:
    lately the life span of ship commanders is quite short!
    and it would might get her out of ScienceSam and ActionSam mode. What can I say?--I like Sam kicking butt and solving problems up close and personal. I'd love to see her as a fellow warrior with Teyla. I could see Sam, Teyla and Sheppard on a mission too.
    I like the idea of Sam appearing on Atlantis periodically, but I'm not sure how it would work to make her a regular. (Other than it would get me to watch Atlantis religiously.)

Thanks everyone for your updates and photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      yes, wasn't the poster fantastic???

i was awed when i got to see it in person. i envy her talent, and she did such a wonderful job. i have a feeling that its something amanda will treasure for a long time
      Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
      I think minigeek wins the Samanda Medal of Honor for her super poster!

CG, I shall wear the medal with great pride. However not as much pride as Tracy wore her styrofoam hat and chosticks with at AT2! lol !

Oh guys seriously you're going to make me turn 10 shades of red here.

Again, it was my HONOR to participate and I LOVE YOU ALL for letting me.

A little birdie told me that CG and Shimmeringstar (I think?) also presented a lovely poem with graphics to Amanda, too. The kind of keepsake I'm sure she'll also treasure a very long time.

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      It's a little embarrassing, but I'm glad you didn't all hate me and go "OMG, who's that freak!"
      Wellll, actually..... J/K!!!! We loved you TJ, and we always will.

Yes, the sharing of personal stuff (Which I've already shared with the thread- I managed to post when I got home on Sunday night), was a point that Mini and I discussed. I told Amanda whilst she was hugging me because I was sure I'd chicken out if I didn't. Afterwards, Mini was just saying "That was the longest hug EVER. I thought 'OMG, Tracy isn't letting go' then realised that it was Amanda that wasn't letting go." Amanda just clung onto me the whole tim and just hugged and kissed me and held my hand and stuff. I was just so overwhelmed by it. All I wanted to do was share with her how she'd helped me. I didn't expect all this stuff in return. She was just lovely and amazing.
      Yes, TJ got the hug to end all hugs from Amanda. I was THERE! lol It was really very touching, especially when you know the story behind it. What a beautiful moment and a lovely expression of how much Amanda does care. We were talking about it (TJ and I) on the way to a restaurant later that night, and TJ made me cry two or three times!! Darn her.

(((((hugs TJ))))))

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
      Yes - the definitive thing I remember her saying was that it would have made more sense if the characters (Sam and Cam) were not the same rank: "Make him a full bird colonel, ok."
      And *****I***** say, make HER a full bird colonel! OK?!?!

mini(the hopefully not pipe-dreaming)geeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I realised that although you've all heard that Amanda has been made EP of this show, you haven't heard the full story which Amanda told our table at the cocktail party.

The background is that Amanda was asking about our charms. Mine was to do with debating because I'm the Southampton University Debating Coach and she asked for tips on debating and public speaking, then went on to explain why.

So Amanda went to this meeting for the new series and it was after a long 14 hour day filming stargate. She was the only woman in the room and the men were waffling and gossiping and getting nothing done. She said she was surprised because she thought it would be women behaving like that. She was tired and stressed, and they were getting no work done, so she kinda slammed her fist on the table and went, "Hey! Guys! I've just worked a 14 hour day, I have a baby I have to put to bed, so pull your act together and tell me the bottom line". And one of the guys she shouted at was her new boss

So when she went home, Amanda was fully expecting a phone call to tell her off for her bad attitude and ask her not to behave like that in future meetings or some such like. She got her phone call, alright. But instead of it being a telling off, she got a phone call telling her she was awesome and that they needed someone to keep the guys in line, so she was offered the exec role.

As for the debating tips, I just told her the big three:
        • Be yourself
        • Don't apologise for your views or stutter and mumble
        • Have a little stage presence

And then reminded her that she naturally does all three, so she's got nothing to worry about
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by strix
          I'm trying to remember some of the other things that Amanda talked about that others might not have already mentioned.

She said that the most courageous thing she'd ever done was jump out of an airplane. She said that she's terribly afraid of heights, so she went skydiving to try to overcome her fear. It was a very funny story the way she told it (of course), and I won't even attempt to do recreate the details right now. Suffice to say that it involved a two-for one jump school with archaic parachutes, Amanda screaming her head off, a wind gust that dragged her through corn/wheat stubble after landing (without breaking her ankles), and a total lack of success at overcoming her fear of heights.

The leadership issue was broached in one question, and I got the impression that Amanda was trying to be very diplomatic about it, but she was disappointed in the way it was handled on screen and off. Mind you, that's me reading between the lines mostly, but I think the others who were there probably got the same impression. It was just the fact that you could tell she was being very diplomatic about it... I can't remember what she said, exactly, but I got the sense that she really didn't agree with how it was done and was disappointed by it.

More as it comes to me.

i've loving all these posts! i've already created an 'AT2' folder to save everything in.

on a side note: i've got a fear of heights too, which really flairs up when i'm traveling over bridges. i can't imagine going skydiving... nope, too chickenyouknowwhat.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Flythrough!

1. Tracy, you ROCK.

2. Hm. BSG is moving to Sunday nights in search of ratings....... wait a second, didn't Sci-Fi think cancelling SG-1 would help BSG's ratings?
            Wow.
            Darn.
            GUESS SOMEBODY SCREWED THAT ONE UP, EH?!

Ahem.

3. I think Sam should get full bird colonel and a command of some sort of project or ship vis-a-vis her role on Atlantis next season. I think if she has an adjunct purpose above and beyond "a throw-away addition to the regular cast", she'll be accepted much more readily, she won't be seen as a scene-stealer and she'll have a real reason for being ported into the sister-series. Sam is such a versitile character the possibilities are endless. She doesn't need to displace any ongoing Atlantis cast or storyline to be a well-used character. Now all we need is the writing to pull that off...

mg

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              I agree w/ Realm of X.

Maybe I should just put that in my sig.

I like the idea of Sam/Jack. And I love the fanfic. On screen? Implied maybe. But not so much. Because I also see AT's point of view on it making Sam the star's "girl". SHe's a cool woman. Appreciate her for that, not riding on the coat-tails of her CO. That's already been implied by some (though not TPTB, they can do something right). Why give them more ammo when it isn't necessary. This show is about the team, not romance.

Suse
              I love the ship on screen and even more so in the fan fics. I don't think if it was written well it would take away from the Sam character. Especially now with him in Washington why she is back at the mountain on her own. The people they work with know she earns her way. At no time, that I can see anyway, have they even tried to imply she was advancing other than on her own merrit. That is great, however, I think it's sad that people still believe to show a woman successful in both her career and her personal life means she could only achieve it with the help of a man. To bad TPTB weren't good enough to write a strong story line to cover all of it. This show has done very well with the team and I love the team side of things. You can't help but notice the strong feelings Jack had for Sam and the others commented on it often. I think it speaks volumes the the characters never allowed it to get in the way of their jobs. It made them stronger. It isn't that I would want the show to focus on their love life but It would have been nice to see them write good story that allowed them to express their emotions without focusing on the romance part. It all needs an even balance. However, I have no faith in the writers to come up with away to do it without wrecking the characters and whats left of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                Flythrough!

1. Tracy, you ROCK.
                Not sure what this is all about, but between you and CG, you're gonna embarrass me! I think I'll just creep off to bed with my styrofoam chopstick hat (yes, I've still got it!) and blush!
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I realised that although you've all heard that Amanda has been made EP of this show, you haven't heard the full story which Amanda told our table at the cocktail party.

The background is that Amanda was asking about our charms. Mine was to do with debating because I'm the Southampton University Debating Coach and she asked for tips on debating and public speaking, then went on to explain why.

So Amanda went to this meeting for the new series and it was after a long 14 hour day filming stargate. She was the only woman in the room and the men were waffling and gossiping and getting nothing done. She said she was surprised because she thought it would be women behaving like that. She was tired and stressed, and they were getting no work done, so she kinda slammed her fist on the table and went, "Hey! Guys! I've just worked a 14 hour day, I have a baby I have to put to bed, so pull your act together and tell me the bottom line". And one of the guys she shouted at was her new boss

So when she went home, Amanda was fully expecting a phone call to tell her off for her bad attitude and ask her not to behave like that in future meetings or some such like. She got her phone call, alright. But instead of it being a telling off, she got a phone call telling her she was awesome and that they needed someone to keep the guys in line, so she was offered the exec role.

• Be yourself

And then reminded her that she naturally does all three, so she's got nothing to worry about
                  Are you serious???

That's BRILLIANT! Way to go to Amanda I've found in my recent endeavours into the realm of such things that those three tips you qouted were so very VERY useful indeed... Being in a senior leadership role in several things I do, I know that sometimes it's hard to stand up to a whole room and start smartening them up, but it's got to be done. I can definately see Amanda as being able to do that very well!

Im so glad you told that story, it's just inspiring! lol, GO AMANDA! Girl Power (no offense to the guys here, you know what I mean)

MSam
                  The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                  |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

*feels sooo far behind and lost...

Hey all...sorry I haven't been around much (not that I think anyone, save a few, will have noticed I haven't been around) but life has been busy for me. Good but busy.

Amanda is an EP for a new show? What show?? CONGRATS TO AMANDA!!!

Well I'm gone for now. Laters!
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

• Be yourself

that's awesome!

just a fast question, did she mention if this was going to be a world-wide series , or contained to Canadian viewers...

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                      My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                      My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                      My Stargate Videos
                      It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                        *feels sooo far behind and lost...

Hey all...sorry I haven't been around much (not that I think anyone, save a few, will have noticed I haven't been around) but life has been busy for me. Good but busy.

Amanda is an EP for a new show? What show?? CONGRATS TO AMANDA!!!

Well I'm gone for now. Laters!
                        Heck I noticed Sunny (((Hugs)))

and good luck catching up
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC View Post
                          that's awesome!

just a fast question, did she mention if this was going to be a world-wide series , or contained to Canadian viewers...
                          No, she did mention they were still searching for funding. I don't think that's nailed down just yet.

Comment

Quick post to say thanks to all who made (continue to make) posts regarding AT2 -you insights and stories are wonderful and very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mandy
                              *Gets ready to catch Sally as she faints*
                              why would i faint?

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                                A little birdie told me that CG and Shimmeringstar (I think?) also presented a lovely poem with graphics to Amanda, too. The kind of keepsake I'm sure she'll also treasure a very long time.
                                LOL! If only I had. No... for rumor control purposes, I believe it was just CG by her own very talented self. I did take 2 children's books as a gift for Olivia - one a beautifully illustrated book by Jan Brett (if anyone knows her wonderfully detailed paintings/children's books).
                                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Working...
                                X